I really can't think of anywhere esle to ask this, but why do a large amount of fans both in Japan and otherwise drop to their collective knees and pucker up for Char Aznable? This guy has to be the biggest scumbag in all of anime. He either screws over, backstabs, betrays, or kills anyone he comes into contact with. He blams others for his failings. He might be a pedo. He's obsessed with getting revenge for his family, but really could care less about his actual family members(heres some gold Sayla now go away, nevermind I have seen you in 10 years). His actions border on sociopathic/genocidal and he finally snaps in "Char's Counterattack". By that point I'm hoping random GM pops up and kills him.

Great moments in Char's life

"Gee Garma the showers we take together are fun but I have to kill you now, blame it on your dad!"

"Gee Lalah its cool we have this mental connection, but I need you to kill some people for me."

"Gee Kycillia it was fun playing with you as a kid, and I really thank you for saving me after I let your little brother die, but my sister and the guy piloting the gundam who killed my underage pregnant girlfriend tell me your my enemy so I have to blow your head off now okay?"

"Gee Haman your sexy and all but I've been using you to get to that little redhead your protecting sorry. No we can't use her together, Char don't play that"

"Gee Kamille it sucks your family is dead but I need you to fight for me. Oh and when you need me most I will disappear."

"Gee Quess its cool we have this mental connection, but I need you to kill some people for me."

"Gee Nanai I know you love me, your a little too old for me besides I have a planet to kill."

"Earth its all your fault my life sucks you go boom now!"

"Amuro you killed Lalah and my unborn child, but I was the one forcing her into battle, and she died protecting me! Its still your fault!!!"

I really can't think of anywhere esle to ask this, but why do a large amount of fans both in Japan and otherwise drop to their collective knees and pucker up for Char Aznable? This guy has to be the biggest scumbag in all of anime. He either screws over, backstabs, betrays, or kills anyone he comes into contact with. He blams others for his failings. He might be a pedo. He's obsessed with getting revenge for his family, but really could care less about his actual family members(heres some gold Sayla now go away, nevermind I have seen you in 10 years). His actions border on sociopathic/genocidal and he finally snaps in "Char's Counterattack". By that point I'm hoping random GM pops up and kills him.

Because in a world of angsty teens with overpowered robots, psychotic girlfriends with even more overpowered robots, and incompetent apefaces running every side of every conflict, Char is a man who gets shit done. He's more manly and badass than you could ever hope to be and Char's Counterattack was such bullshit that it shouldn't even count anyways. :p

Because in a world of angsty teens with overpowered robots, psychotic girlfriends with even more overpowered robots, and incompetent apefaces running every side of every conflict, Char is a man who gets shit done. He's more manly and badass than you could ever hope to be and Char's Counterattack was such bullshit that it shouldn't even count anyways. :p

My sentiments exactly, though not sure about him being manly. Just an insanely huge douchebag, probably boss level. ;)

It's not so much that he's a likeable character but rather that he's a very interesting one to study in terms of his personality, actions, and motivation. I remember reading somewhere that in a different anime Char could've easily been the hero character but not so in Gundam. He's good looking, charismatic, has the memorable cool lines/dialogue, gets to dress fancy, gets to upgrade to a new mech every so often...he's the cool guy and the antithesis to Amuro. Some have theorized that, at the core, Char is a kid who never grew up. And that, that's why Char acts the way he does and why Amuro is the hero (because Amuro grew up to be an adult).

It's not so much that he's a likeable character but rather that he's a very interesting one to study in terms of his personality, actions, and motivation. I remember reading somewhere that in a different anime Char could've easily been the hero character but not so in Gundam. He's good looking, charismatic, has the memorable cool lines/dialogue, gets to dress fancy, gets to upgrade to a new mech every so often...he's the cool guy and the antithesis to Amuro. Some have theorized that, at the core, Char is a kid who never grew up. And that, that's why Char acts the way he does and why Amuro is the hero (because Amuro grew up to be an adult).

I completely agree here: Char is not a hero strictly speaking, but rather a complex character whose motivations reflect a rather insane mind –i.e. a distorted childhood.

One shouldn't forget that this particular character has always been told by Tomino only: on many aspects, Char is his picture into the mirror –I remember an interview of Tomino where he said he almost commited a murder once: he actually is a very violent man, like Char is...

The various TV series don't really insist on this point, contrarily to Tomino's novel, but Char has always been educated by his foster father as a way of putting back on its feet the original Republic of Zeon which was founded by his late father: such education is more than enough to drive anyone crazy; also, he has been a boy who lost his father at a very young age and probably still deeply regrets him –but it's rather common for mecha pilots to have issues with their picture of the father, and for being a writer Tomino probably has his personal troubles with his own picture of the father too.

For all these reasons, I tend to consider Char as being one of the many dark sides of the Tomino from a particular period –the Tomino who periodically suffered of depressions and used animes directing as some sort of catharsis...

There would be a lot of things to say on this subject actually: it really is far more complex than it shows.

One of the things to consider with Char is that he has always been motivated by revenge. First for the death of his father, he even set up the origina; Char Aznable in Gundam:The Origin. Then he assumed his identity. He did all this to get back at the Zabi's. Then he sought revenge on Amuro and the Earth. Char is a character that is interesting because he actualy gets things done. In many anime the bad guy always gets stopped or they join the good uys and have a change of heart. In Zeta, it almost seemed like Char was with the AEUG only because they were usefull to him.

One of the things to consider with Char is that he has always been motivated by revenge. First for the death of his father, he even set up the origina; Char Aznable in Gundam:The Origin. Then he assumed his identity. He did all this to get back at the Zabi's. Then he sought revenge on Amuro and the Earth. [...]

Frankly, I don't think so, at least on the Earth part: making it uninhabitable for mankind was a way to materialize his father's dream of contolism –but this just underlines more his "lost child" psyche: he doesn't really want to materialize his father's dream, but instead become closer to him through materializing it...

His rivalry with Amuro goes into a similar way too: his urge to defeat the Gundam looks like a child's "game" of proving who's the best –although there was also a need of destroying this weapon which was a threat to Zeon and therefore his own schemes so it is discussable... And then there was the "incident" with Lalah which triggered the vow of revenge.

Edited by Gui

Sorry for de-railing the thread guys (this might be slightly off topic):

Does anyone know exactly when all the 00x side stories occur? I really liked the designs of Cherudim SAGA, and I was directed to various 00x sidestories for more info.....

Do all these side stories occur alongside the main TV series? Or are they pre/sequels or maybe even a different timeline altogether? It would be weird for them

to be prequels as some feature much more advanced suits than season 1 or even season 2 CB suits....

Just a question...

Sorry for de-railing the thread guys (this might be slightly off topic):

Does anyone know exactly when all the 00x side stories occur? I really liked the designs of Cherudim SAGA, and I was directed to various 00x sidestories for more info.....

Do all these side stories occur alongside the main TV series? Or are they pre/sequels or maybe even a different timeline altogether? It would be weird for them

to be prequels as some feature much more advanced suits than season 1 or even season 2 CB suits....

Just a question...

It depends on the side story. Cherudim SAGA appears in the 00V side stories. Those stories take place during the course of the series. It also showed up in 00I, which takes place in 2314 or during the time of the movie.

A good place to find Gundam info (Or any Mecha anime for that matter) is MAHQ.net. They have detailed episode synopsis' as well as line art of the mecha from the shows AND the variation from games, books, manga, models, toys, etc etc etc. The site is perdominately Gundam but also has large sections on macross and other shows.

http://www.mahq.net/

Edited by Richardmvela

Unicorn has been pretty good so far. My only gripe with it is the character design. That being said I do think that the designs do match the Universal Century style of previous shows. Also, would be awesome to see a Gundam FIX version of the ReZEL.

Edited by Richardmvela

Unicorn has been pretty good so far. My only gripe with it is the character design. That being said I do think that the designs do match the Universal Century style of previous shows. Also, would be awesome to see a Gundam FIX version of the ReZEL.

There already is a Gundam Fix ReZel:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=gundam+fix+rezel

Quite beautiful. Just bought a Fix Unicorn and a bunch of Robot Spirits (the Sinanju from this line is awesome) so gotta wait a bit before I throw down the ReZEL but it will be mine :)

Gonna have to break the bank to get me some Gundam Unicorn. Too many favourable opinions all around to ignore any longer!

I only wish the Blu-Ray wasn't so expensive, especially knowing that the DVDs will eventually be released which would be cheaper - but Blu is better!

Thoughts on After War Gundam X? Its the only gundam series (besides Turn A) that I have not watched....

I really haven't heard much about it, and it seems as though many people are indifferent towards it..?

What do you guys think? Is it worth the watch?

Thoughts on After War Gundam X? Its the only gundam series (besides Turn A) that I have not watched....

I really haven't heard much about it, and it seems as though many people are indifferent towards it..?

What do you guys think? Is it worth the watch?

Just 2 pages back I wrote this:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18457&view=findpost&p=903717

I am hoping that once Unicorn has aired all it's episodes, that Bandai will release an "Anime Legends" version with all the episodes on a 2 disc Blu-Ray. Also Bandai did announce First Gundam dvds for this year. I am hoping for an "Anime Legends" set. Does anyone know if they due a collection of 00? Or when the movie is coming stateside?

I've read a couple of reviews on Turn a Gundam (all favourable) and I'm considering making it the first non UC Gundam I watch. Anyone care to comment on their like/dislike for said series? I know that it's set in an unspecified future and has some unusual mechanical designs, but is there anything more to it storywise?

I've read a couple of reviews on Turn a Gundam (all favourable) and I'm considering making it the first non UC Gundam I watch. Anyone care to comment on their like/dislike for said series? I know that it's set in an unspecified future and has some unusual mechanical designs, but is there anything more to it storywise?

Political intrigue, an Elton John lookalike, crossdressing, a cow, space hippies, God Finga, Turn-A has it all!

Edited by Keith

Unicorn has been pretty good so far. My only gripe with it is the character design.

What on Earth do you find wrong with the designs?? :o Personally (and I stress this), I think they're the best-looking character designs in a whole decade of Japanese animation, perhaps two. I can't remember when I last saw an anime with such appealing characters.

I saw Turn-A about the same time I saw Gundam SEED. I also remember the reaction when Turn-A was first announced and the first images of the mecha designs emerged. Like everyone else at the time, those coloured my impressions of the series way, way before I ever saw it. It was therefore a wonderful surprise to discover just how excellent Turn-A is generally - arguably the best Tomino-directed Gundam, one of if not the best Gundam series, and a fairly strong contender for one of the best SF - not just anime, but genre as a whole - series ever.

One of the most interesting aspects to the show is the way that it embraces its past whilst at the same time forging a completely new path without feeling like a blatant - ahem - "homage" to earlier Gundams like SEED does. Its also a great adventure series in its own right, full of daring escapades, dashing heroes, devious villains and plucky heroines.

And those weird mecha designs? They work. Boy, how they do work. And they're still going to be interesting in fifty years time.

Its not perfect - Tominos trademark narrative jumpiness is still there, and as a whole the series lacks a recurring villain of the calibre of Char, but as a whole, I would argue you're doing yourself a disservice not to see it.

Music by Yoko Kanno is simply the cherry on top of a pretty impressively-iced Gundam cake.

Please note that it although sounds like I'm being a little bit harsh on Gundam SEED here, I enjoyed that show a fair bit, but in comparison with how I feel about Turn-A its always going to rather outshone.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I saw Turn-A about the same time I saw Gundam SEED. I also remember the reaction when Turn-A was first announced and the first images of the mecha designs emerged. Like everyone else at the time, those coloured my impressions of the series way, way before I ever saw it. It was therefore a wonderful surprise to discover just how excellent Turn-A is generally - arguably the best Tomino-directed Gundam, one of if not the best Gundam series, and a fairly strong contender for one of the best SF - not just anime, but genre as a whole - series ever.

One of the most interesting aspects to the show is the way that it embraces its past whilst at the same time forging a completely new path without feeling like a blatant - ahem - "homage" to earlier Gundams like SEED does. Its also a great adventure series in its own right, full of daring escapades, dashing heroes, devious villains and plucky heroines.

And those weird mecha designs? They work. Boy, how they do work. And they're still going to be interesting in fifty years time.

Its not perfect - Tominos trademark narrative jumpiness is still there, and as a whole the series lacks a recurring villain of the calibre of Char, but as a whole, I would argue you're doing yourself a disservice not to see it.

Music by Yoko Kanno is simply the cherry on top of a pretty impressively-iced Gundam cake.

Please note that it although sounds like I'm being a little bit harsh on Gundam SEED here, I enjoyed that show a fair bit, but in comparison with how I feel about Turn-A its always going to rather outshone.

I don't think you can really compare Turn A to SEED aside from they are both "Gundam" shows they are so drastically different. One is meant to be a intelligent show for older fans who grew up watching the Orginal UC shows and Gundam SEED was made to sell model kits and get the new generation into Gundam. Amazing how different two Gundam shows can be though.

My favorite moment from Turn A is the first time the Borjannon... or whatever they called them showed up it was so epic the music the bleak situation they were in then out of the darkness the mono-eye lights up and a group of Zaku's come walking out Epic.

Edited by bob joe mac

What on Earth do you find wrong with the designs?? :o Personally (and I stress this), I think they're the best-looking character designs in a whole decade of Japanese animation, perhaps two. I can't remember when I last saw an anime with such appealing characters.

Just personal opinion. The character styles I tend to like are those by Yutaka Izubuchi (Rahxephon, his adults mainly, not his teens), Toshihiro Kawamoto (Wol'f Rain, Gundam 08th MS Team) and Kumiko Takahashi (Witch Hunter Robin). Once again just preference, that being said I definitely see why they went the route they did as it matches the U.C. style.

That being said, Kumiko Takahashi did the designs for the Unicorn animation, just his design is different from his previous works I have seen. Not bad just not my cup of tea.

Edited by Richardmvela