It's a bunch of bull. MSG was released on LD in 1999, and obviously it's the same audio on the current release. The movies were redubbed, but that audio is separate. The real reason the Japanese dub was never released here was that Bandai didn't want Japanese fans to reverse import cheaper American DVDs. And given how expensive the box sets that they finally released are, the fear was justified.

Did the new Japanese DVD box of the TV series contain the infamous episode that was cut out in the US release 'because Tomino wanted it out'?

Did the new Japanese DVD box of the TV series contain the infamous episode that was cut out in the US release 'because Tomino wanted it out'?

I just finished watching the Japanese box sets and i can confirm that all the episodes are there.

Do the box sets of yours look like these?

Well, i got them from www.cdjapan.co.jp, the first boxset came with a hcm pro figure of a gundam. The first boxset is all silver/grey with the federation logo on it and the second boxset is red with the zeon logo. I think theses are the limited versions.

Edited by kung flu

Hmm, wonder if Honneamise will try to release the series (0079 remaster) if Bandai refuses to....

Is Honneamise not just Bandai, I'm confused, that there are two Bandai companies in the USA.

Anyway if Honneamise release first gundam that would be good news to anyone who hasn't seen the show or waited for it to come out in Japanese language. Not so good news for me because i already spent a fortune on the Japanese boxsets cause i couldn't wait for a proper release in the west.

Back in July 2001 (almost 6 friggin' years now!) when the first of the English dub only DVD's came out, I think there were a lot of fans that thought it had the Japanese track as well; it turned out to be one of the hottest selling anime DVD's in the US that month. After it was realized the travisity that took place, I don't think any of the subsequent First Gundam DVD's even cracked the top 10. Here's hoping that the full TV series in Japanese can finally see a US release.

It's funny how the Macross TV series has now seen TWO complete DVD runs despite all of the licensing nightmare issues the Macross property faces, but yet one of the greatest anime series, Gundam, still hasn't gotten a proper release here in the US! :p But if this continues to remain in limbo, I'm going to breakdown and get one of the bootleg subbed Gundam sets.

But if this continues to remain in limbo, I'm going to breakdown and get one of the bootleg subbed Gundam sets.

NO!!! don't get the bootleg Gundam dvds, I've got some of them and the subtitles are rubbish, if you can't understand Japanese, you can't rely on the subtitles either. Also My bootleg version of first gundam had some episodes that skipped half way after the advert eyecatch. So its not entirely complete.

Back in July 2001 (almost 6 friggin' years now!) when the first of the English dub only DVD's came out, I think there were a lot of fans that thought it had the Japanese track as well; it turned out to be one of the hottest selling anime DVD's in the US that month. After it was realized the travisity that took place, I don't think any of the subsequent First Gundam DVD's even cracked the top 10. Here's hoping that the full TV series in Japanese can finally see a US release.

It's funny how the Macross TV series has now seen TWO complete DVD runs despite all of the licensing nightmare issues the Macross property faces, but yet one of the greatest anime series, Gundam, still hasn't gotten a proper release here in the US! :p But if this continues to remain in limbo, I'm going to breakdown and get one of the bootleg subbed Gundam sets.

The lack of a Japanese track on the DVD was announced long before the DVDs were released. It's also a different situation from Macross because Bandai didn't want Japanese people reverse importing cheap American DVDs. The reason we haven't seen a re-release here is because Bandai didn't finally release MSG in Japan until December 2006. The fear was justified, given that the two MSG box sets are over $300 each. Whether or not we see a re-release here is an entirely different story though.

Is Honneamise not just Bandai, I'm confused, that there are two Bandai companies in the USA.

Anyway if Honneamise release first gundam that would be good news to anyone who hasn't seen the show or waited for it to come out in Japanese language. Not so good news for me because i already spent a fortune on the Japanese boxsets cause i couldn't wait for a proper release in the west.

Honneamise is Bandai USA's brand for re-issuing classics in their library. Kind of like Lexus is Toyata's high-end brand.

I dont think that the UC should be killed, but the early years of it should be given a nice long rest. Let's see some stuff from later, like just pre or post F-91, (I'm still hoping for animated crossbone gundam). Heck lets see some stuff far into the future. I still maintain that a gaia gear movie or series would be kicking rad. Also if aliens were introduced into the UC I think they should be presented more like the moon race from turn a gundam. I.E. humans who have been cut off from the earth for an extended period, and have developed thair own culture, and government. Perhaps a far future story where the long forgotten Jupiter energy fleet returns home to earth.

Just a thought.

Who know's what would have happened if Turn-A Space actually came about...aside from extreme awesomeness. I'd love to see Gaia Gear done into something too, but someone would probably have to stick a major bug up Tomino's ass for it to happen.

The lack of a Japanese track on the DVD was announced long before the DVDs were released. It's also a different situation from Macross because Bandai didn't want Japanese people reverse importing cheap American DVDs. The reason we haven't seen a re-release here is because Bandai didn't finally release MSG in Japan until December 2006. The fear was justified, given that the two MSG box sets are over $300 each. Whether or not we see a re-release here is an entirely different story though.

I didn't find out about the missing Japanese track until right before I bought the first disc. There were probably quite a few other people who may not have found out until it was too late.

As for my comments about Macross TV series on DVD vs. First Gundam on DVD, well yeah I know the differences surrounding each of the two series' releases, but I was just trying to point out the irony that we have somehow seen Macross TV already have TWO DVD releases in complete, unedited form DESPITE the licensing mess of the whole franchise unlike Gundam which should have had a straight shot for getting a proper release instead saw the deletion of the original Japanese track, deletion of an episode, and after the third DVD, the original opening and closing sequences were replaced by what was used on Cartoon Network.

Just started watching Turn A gundam, my first thoughts are that it takes some getting use to, to the the mobile suit designs and character designs. This is my first ever AU series having watched nothing but UC. Its also good to see some suits from the UC series even though they have different names.

Ok, I've finished Turn A in the weekend, I enjoyed the show a lot. So it seems this show is meant to be the distant future of UC gundam and maybe others? and compared to the other UC shows it seems this one has the lowest kill/ death rate of main characters.

Also did the earthrace manage to manufacture there own MS near the end along with the Gallops? I couldn't really catch the Japaneses language all that well to understand it.

I wasn't clear on that either, but they seemed to be turning out their own Zaku's/Borjamon

With the earthrace's current level of technology it seems impossible to manufacture all that, I'm assuming the moonrace defectors helped them or something. I was just surprised to see so many Gallops (those giant hover crafts) near the end of the show.

Given that the only Gundam anime I really like is 0080, 08MST & CCA, is it worth me tracking down MS Igloo to watch?

I sorta like the look of the big transforming tank thingy.

Graham

If you like a somewhat down to earth Gundam story with military oriented action and no newtypes, I would say yes. The charecters look a little stiff sometimes but the CG animation in the battle scenes looks (and sounds) great.

At least give episodes 1 and 2 (the one with the big tank) a try to see if you like what you see.

If you like a somewhat down to earth Gundam story with military oriented action and no newtypes, I would say yes. The charecters look a little stiff sometimes but the CG animation in the battle scenes looks (and sounds) great.

At least give episodes 1 and 2 (the one with the big tank) a try to see if you like what you see.

Yep, military action with no whiney, angsty new types is exactly my thing.

Graham

Igloo is well-worth watching :) Like the others have said, the plot centres around a technical unit reviewing experimental weapons. I especially like how the second 'half' of Igloo, Apocalypse, starts to show how desperate the Zeons are.

Storyline is self-contained within each ep, but the trend gets predictable. Still, the visuals are pretty amazing, and the second ep with the Hidolfr remains one of my fav eps overall from the series. :thumbs:

Visuals-wise, ep 4 with the flying z'gok is pretty spectacular :)