Just saw Hathaway and so far it seems alright. The story feels less over the top than most of the recent stuff for the UC. The odd thing on this one is that the way the mobile suits are shown, you only catch a quick glimpse here and there and sometimes you just see a quick flyby and can barely tell what’s on the sled. I got so used to things like Unicorn that they would show long slow moments showing off the details of the designs. This film will show a leg here, maybe a head there and very rarely an entire mobile suit. It does seem realistic though since most of the time the main character isn’t in a cockpit. The cg seemed a bit over used and sometimes the bigger mobile suits look oddly floppy. Overall though I enjoyed the first film here and will look forward to the rest 

Agreed on the MS shots, @Big s. On the Unicorn OVA/series, the suits in space is more clearer to look at than what's being shown in Hathaway. Color and feel-wise, they somehow aimed it to look more realistic this time. Not too saturated and not too bright during the night fight towards the end. You just basically see the explosion and missiles flying. But still not too saturated. It's like watching one of those news that featured some missile attacks a few weeks ago.

AP21130749450333-1024x640.jpg.b4a3e544f9574908fbcf567f46aa4f0f.jpg

That being said, it made things sometimes hard to see what's being shown or what's happening sometimes. But overall, I love it. ;) 

Honestly, if I hadn’t seen all the kits that are coming up or have already been released I might have struggled with the designs. It was tough seeing the differences in the commander unit messer. I was looking really closely to see the backpack was different and the rear skirting as well. If I hadn’t seen the pictures of the kit a couple weeks ago I may not have noticed. Overall this had a very different feel than any other Gundam. Unicorn felt like a toy commercial compared to this.

On 7/2/2021 at 1:33 AM, no3Ljm said:

I love Hathaway movie. Love the MS scenes even though it's short. But this time around you can really feel the weight of it and it's a good touch. Yes it was anticlimactic. But since I know the novel ending, I'm not so sure if I want to watch the ending. :( 

:(

Sound effects made the scenes immersive and the sound effect ideas added that touch of realism/relatability to the show.

Show also did well in portraying the scale of the battle, and the eyes on the ground perspectives raised the battle tension.

Cant wait for the next 2 installments!

You’re right about the scale. There are so many shots that show distance and comparison shots of a giant foot or something near a person. In most gundam stuff it almost appears  as though the mobile suits are only a few feet away from the action.

I don't know how to put this, so I'm just going to blurt it out thoughtlessly.

In the modern art style used in Hathaway's Flash, Gigi Andalucia looks like Lusamine from Pokemon Sun and Moon.

It's really throwing me off.

4 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

I still don't know exactly what the mobile SUITs looked like, but good grief, do I know every single detail of the various restaurants and cafeterias that appear. 😁

In the future every restaurant is a Jollibee :p

I visited Manila for a two week business trip back in December 2011. Didn't go to a Jollibee but did try their KFC and it was awful, lol. One of their sides was spaghetti and the sauce was so sweet that it should have been called tomato syrup, haha.

Jollibee is the king. ;)

In the future, every corner will have a Jollibee restaurant. Been promoting their Ube Pearl Shake to @spanner for years. :lol:

1625762292_jollixe.jpg.c7334710118a21712e4d95351eb57c0b.jpg

And to be honest, I feel proud being a Filipino seeing Jollibee for a few minutes in Gundam Hathaway. :hi:

Edited by no3Ljm

15 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Jollibee is the king. ;)

In the future, every corner will have a Jollibee restaurant. Been promoting their Ube Pearl Shake to @spanner for years. :lol:

And to be honest, I feel proud being a Filipino seeing Jollibee for a few minutes in Gundam Hathaway. :hi:

Next season on Gundam Build Fighters/Divers we'll get a Jollibeeley/Quebeley custom gunpla...

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Jollibee is the king. ;)

I'm not sure, without Goldilocks that City feels incomplete to me. ;)

Coming back to Hathaway, another solid and enjoyable entry for UC Gundam. I hope we don't need to wait long for part 2 and 3.

Bandai/Sunrise has been really bossing it these last couple of years with the UC timeline post CCA.

We went to Ikea the weekend before Hathaway hit Netflix and I saw the big bee on top of the corporate headquarters building and had the odd coincidence of seeing Jollibee on the screen a few days later. And now all my news stories that pop up on google show nothing but Jollibee related stories. I have noticed that a lot of Filipino foods have ketchup and hotdogs wieners, so if you’re ok with realizing that the spaghetti is more enjoyable, but still weird. The chicken and burgers and the fried mango pies are good, and those pies remind me of the way the clown used to make em back in the day.

I guess they never could get that license for McDonald’s

15 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

In the future every restaurant is a Jollibee :p

I visited Manila for a two week business trip back in December 2011. Didn't go to a Jollibee but did try their KFC and it was awful, lol. One of their sides was spaghetti and the sauce was so sweet that it should have been called tomato syrup, haha.

Haha Filipinos love sweet stuff. When I was in Australia I got to taste their KFC and I totally do not remember the taste. On the other hand KFC taste also depends on the branch based on my experience. There was one where the rice meal felt like it overdosed on MSG (or salt?) and I swore never to order a meal like that again.

13 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Jollibee is the king. ;)

Looks like I will have to power through Zeta, ZZ, and CCA. I have problems finishing Zeta, I seem to be able to watch only a few new episodes each year.  @_@

When I started watching, the pandemic was quite far away haha

Hmm, we have a couple Jollibees in the UK. I did not know that. I have to wonder if this means that if they ever do a Gundam set in the UK if there will be a Wimpy in the background… [1]

Trying to get back on topic, the “beam sprays” were an interesting touch but I do have to wonder about the physics of that; it sort of implies Gundam beam weapons are more like plasma weapons than particle beams…

[1] Virtually extinct but fondly remembered UK rival to MacDonalds et al.

The particles in Gundam are definitely a stretch of pseudoscience. They can do anything from be a destructive beam, to being dispersed as a mist to fowl up electronics and even solidify to become a sword or even shield, and later on a helicopter blade

On 7/1/2021 at 8:52 PM, kajnrig said:

Isn't Narrative something about time travel? Something something Newtype something Psychoframe something time travel?

Nah. It just has that element much like how Banager/Unicorn was able to use NT magic to send the MS engines back in time (he disassemble them in EP7.) The time travel bits were blown up way more than they exist. That being said plot armor and NT magic are globbed into the movie making it an eyeroll. 

NT's story is simple, just badly told. They cherry-picked the good elements from the Novel MSGUC: Phoenex Hunting which takes place during Unicorn, moved it to after 0096. They then added in a new Gundam, Zoltan and used to to wrap up why pychoframes aren't used in UC beyond making the story quite a bit more messy.

-3 Children predict a colony drop and are hailed as Miracle Children/Newtypes. Only the girl Rita is actually. They as children enter the newtype labs. Michelle is rejected and cast out.

-Rita is used as a trial pilot for 02 Phenex. It shows some newtype power shinanigans before breaking free going rouge.

-The other Miracle Children Michelle a free-agent and Jona an EFSF pilot join up on a mission to hunt the missing Phenex. It was last rumored to be in Side 6.

-Jona doesn't want to kill Rita/Phenex though NT-D on his Narrative Gundam does.

-When the get to Side 6 they are attacked by Neo Zeon reminiants led by Orochimaru... er, Zoltan a rejected Full Frontal/Char clone who was also there for the 03. 

-They all do battle.

-It's revealed that Rita died and her soul was absorbed into the Phenex Gundam.

-Eventually Banager shows up, saves Jona and he can finally board the Phenex. His broken necklace is put back together through time travel magic while he is in the cockpit.

-NT/Force ghost story happens.

-He then destorys the Neo Zeong II/Sinanju Stein.

-Jona is thrown from the cockpit as NT magical wings envelope everything bad and make it disappear. Joan has all-seeing/newtype/time-travel flashback.

-He is rescued and the Phenex flies away into space.

In the '70s, marketing required the hero pilot to be a teenage boy, so the NewType concept was Tomino's way of justifying young Amuro's piloting skills within an otherwise hard sci-fi setting.  Tomino himself tried to divorce the concept from his later Gundam stories, as neither Victory nor Turn A feature any NewType elements.

My favorite Gundam series (War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, The 08th MS Team) have always been the ones that ignore the NewType concept altogether. 😌

I liked Hathaway. Better than many a Gundam bubblegum series. Could nit pick a bit on why the characters do what they do. But there's no need. I took it for what it was and enjoyed the animation and fight scenes. Looking forward to the next two installments. 

My biggest complaint about narrative is the fact that some of the more important characters from unicorn,  after leaving the sleeves and defeating them they rejoin and make the same mistake of making a Char clone a leader and giving him the same mobile suit and armor so he can cause more problems. There are so many dumb ideas in such a short anime. It’s gotta be the worst gundam story ever and it almost ruins the U.C. Timeline completely. 

Don’t get me wrong unicorn had a rather stupid ending. That one angered me as well, since I don’t think anyone can justify that stupid multi trillion dollar treasure hunt for that worthless box. There was a lot of entertaining action and it felt like it would lead to something special, and it just felt like it was all for nothing 

22 hours ago, tekering said:

In the '70s, marketing required the hero pilot to be a teenage boy, so the NewType concept was Tomino's way of justifying young Amuro's piloting skills within an otherwise hard sci-fi setting.  Tomino himself tried to divorce the concept from his later Gundam stories, as neither Victory nor Turn A feature any NewType elements.

My favorite Gundam series (War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, The 08th MS Team) have always been the ones that ignore the NewType concept altogether. 😌

Yup, Victory has zero Newtype elements whatsoever. No talkin' Newtype babies in utero, no giant mind control Newtype powered spaceship, no hero pilot powered by the souls of every female pilot horribly slaughtered around him.

"Turn A" had an equal lack of Newtype content. It had not a single psychotic bad guy using an OP mobile suit that broke apart into psychoframe controlled pieces, and also didn't have the Turn-A equivalent of a cyber-newtype in Marybell.

21 hours ago, Big s said:

My biggest complaint about narrative is the fact that some of the more important characters from unicorn,  after leaving the sleeves and defeating them they rejoin and make the same mistake of making a Char clone a leader and giving him the same mobile suit and armor so he can cause more problems.

Isn't that practically the entire Zeon Remnant/Neo Zeon playbook though?

They develop a remora-like attachment to a single charismatic leader who is either a Zeon blueblood, Newtype, or both and then blindly follow them to their own destruction at the hands of some Newtype kid in a Gundam.  That's your Aguille Delaz, Cima Gaharu, Haman Karn, Mashymre Cello, Glemy Toto, Char Aznable, Full Frontal, and so on.  Zeon's ability to produce militantly fascist anti-government forces motivated by revenge for the defeat of the previous militantly fascist anti-government force is so uncannily consistent you have to wonder if it's an ISO 9000 certified process.

(Come to that, apart from Mineva Lao Zabi's brief moment of despair at the start of Unicorn, has there ever been a self-aware moment where some Zeon sympathizer notices that this sh*t didn't work the last eight times and so is unlikely to work this time?  Or some genre-savvy soul who spots the pattern and decides to pack it in and go home when the Federation rolls up to the fight in a Gundam?  "Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  That's a Gundam.  I am OUT.  I've have SEEN this one before.  I know how this ends.")

It feels slightly churlish to complain about it now when it's been the centerpiece of every UC Gundam plot since... Zeta?

22 hours ago, Big s said:

Don’t get me wrong unicorn had a rather stupid ending. That one angered me as well, since I don’t think anyone can justify that stupid multi trillion dollar treasure hunt for that worthless box. There was a lot of entertaining action and it felt like it would lead to something special, and it just felt like it was all for nothing 

Mobile Suit Gundam UC was Sunrise's effort to get as many MSV designs onscreen as possible.

The plot was a joke.  Even more so than the usual UC Gundam series is, due to their heavy reliance on formula.  Everyone in the audience who has even the slightest idea what's going on knows full bloody well that Laplace's Box won't upend the order of the Earth Federation or change the course of the Universal Century's destiny because it's an interquel and we've already seen what happens afterwards.  Drama so flat you can use it as a surface to 3D print on.

Hathaway's Flash Part I didn't wow me the way I was hoping.  It's certainly competently produced, but it it feels like it's missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. 

All gundam has had the same basic crazy bad guy take over thing, but narrative was the same crazy bad guy with the same machine and obviously out of his mind. The og series felt understandable, zeta and zz had more of a good retry, CCA I think was confusing since the majority of neozeon didn’t want what Char wanted, unicorn made no sense towards the end. But I feel like the anger of the past is what drove them. 

Narrative was supposed to be at a time of a final reconciliation, but then they put a psycho clone of the leader they just recently fought against. The other stuff before felt kinda like a more natural thing, but I felt that Narrative went too far here even for U.C. silliness.

• 1 month later...

Here's their new GunPla commercial series. ;)

GUNDAM BREAKER BATTLOGUE
From the new 6-episode short film "Gundam Breaker Battlogue",  a PV with lots of advance cuts has been released!
This short films will be available on "GUNDAM.INFO" from October 2021!

gbb.jpg.80d58e6a0af3783a51d67119191042d5.jpg

Gundam Helios

pct01.png.68ae9170fad626c9d40e13a9156de4f5.png

Blazing Gundam

pct01-1.png.ef9547b1c00c6b539a4afe2a3daccc29.png

Perfect Strike Freedom Gundam

pct01-2.png.d758f8224c35b0b700a6f6f44cca3186.png

Gundam Live Lance Heaven

pct01-3.png.961ea981a454fdba40d7d07c2965cfc3.png
pct02.png.b9e34c97263b16f0f9838928d981c6af.png

00 Command Qan[T]

pct01-4.png.54e87cfa3af00daf557e4861319fba22.png