Yeah Japanese pricing is just so damn high on their DVD and Blu-rays. I guess we don't exactly have a right to bitch and moan in that regards.....eeeeeh yeah maybe we do! lol.

Turn A finally getting a release will be nice, but I'm mot interested in the 2 part films as there are NO good subs of t hat ANYWHERE.

Something about Tomino's stuff when it's translated just feels off to me too, anyone ever notice that? There tends to be such random conversations or mannerisms, it's worse on Turn A than others, even the new series is kind of that route. I DID get a good laugh that now your cockpit seat is your potty....WHY after a thousand+ years that's apparently a now thing versus early parts of the UC calendar I'll never understand. But also, don't think that was seriously necessary to include. I think that's something I'd mark as random Tomino mannerism.

I'll also be interested in if they're doing this for all the Gundam shows...I missed out on buying a lot of the series, OVA's and movies because they were so highly priced in my area. Be even better if some of these old ones got remastered.

Unicorn cost a LOT of money to make. The price on a Japanese copy of the UC1 blu ray has come down to 3000JPY, or about $27.85 US, whereas UC7 still costs 6200JPY ($57.60), which is somewhat lower than US pricing, at $62.00. Blame the dollar-to-yen ratio right now.

RightStuf is selling UC at a price decided by dividing the number of yen in the Japanese market price by 100, which is pretty close, but the yen is worth about 1/108th of the dollar right now, and at these prices that does stack up.

With that said, the prices on Turn A and MSG should be lower, since the cost of production on those has already been paid off, so the only costs will be licensing, subtitle localization, and manufacturing. (As opposed to helping subsidize production, subtitles, two language dubs, marketing, and then licensing and manufacturing)

Origin's gonna be pricy, though, and G-Reco could go either way.

The official word is this: Sunrise is releasing Gundam through TSRI as a distributor. These "should" be Japanese quality releases withhybrid Japanese U.S. pricing. I'm more than willing to pay for my Gundam!

They're probably going to cost a pretty penny if it's a Sunrise release through Righstuf as distributor only. But having MSG, Zeta and TurnA in BD quality is a no brainer for me, despite the wallet destroying effect it might have.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing none of you like G-Reco, since there's no discussion about it? :D

I've mentioned it a bit in the Anime watching thread since I guessed there wasn't going to be a lot of people watching since it's not licensed in most parts of Europe and the Americas.

It's a wonderfully retro show in the way the action and dialogue is presented, and the plot and characters are so totally Tomino. But sometimes to be honest I wonder If i*m not enjoying it mostly because of the nostalgia factor.

I'm still absorbing it. It is very old school Tomino; the pacing in particular is very much part of Tominos personal quest to hurry anime the hell up (whilst, at the same time, being unable to make a series less than 50 episodes in length). It doesn't seem as groundbreaking as "Turn-A" was, but hey, if at this stage in his career Tomino wants to make a greatest hits kind of show, well, I for one am not going to blame him. Tominos skill in building worlds is still evident though; I've seen the first three episodes and already I kind of want to live in that world, which is pretty much how the Universal Century got me in the first place. That and red-head mecha pilots... :)

I think the pacing is fine. It's more the way characters interact with each other that I find ver, very different and sometimes downright odd. But then again it's a reflection of how Tomino must be as a person. He must be the least soft spoken Japanese guy on record :-)

Can't sit still or move the plot along. We've spent 4 episodes now haven't we where Bellri is a prisoner and keeps saying we're gonna escape and NOTHING happens.

Suit designs kind of miff me as well like I said about my thoughts on the G Self model kit. There's just things that try hard to be a Turn A copy cat, suit designs and the G Self.....it....self. Not too mention I'm kind bugged about some asthetics of mobile suit technology.

It's over a thousand years since the end of the Universal Century. But UC 150 something we're seeing Beam shielding coming into play and less and less of the generic metal shield. Really apparent in Victory Gundam. Even the Turn A had the ability to use its beam sabers as shields by rotating at high speeds.

We got a glimpse of that in i think it was episode 5. But overall the G Self and many other mobile suits don't use a reflective Beam shield OR a shield period.

So over the course of a thousand some odd years, the ONLY new real mobile suit technology or perk is you don't have to wear depends and just crap in your pilot seat? .....That kinda seems backwards to me.

So over the course of a thousand some odd years, the ONLY new real mobile suit technology or perk is you don't have to wear depends and just crap in your pilot seat? .....That kinda seems backwards to me.

From what I've understood from the show, there has been some kind of ban/religious prohibition of some kinds of technology that can be used for warfare. There have also been some hints of a massive conflict in the past that have had a serious impact on the Earth. I would not be surprised if there's some kind of TurnAGundam kind of the past was mroe technologically advanced than the future kind of deal.

"There have also been some hints of a massive conflict in the past that have had a serious impact on the Earth."

in Gundam? Really?!. :lol:

I'd forgotten about the pilots, er, throne. Its the sort of detail that Tomino excels in, and I for one have long waited for answer to the burning question from the end of "Chars Counterattack" - whatever happened to Amuros poop? :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...