I finally watched AGE, wasn't bad but i think trying to fit 3 generations of stories into 49 episodes is what hurt it as it jumped around a lot without fleshing things out properly. It felt very rushed story was while watching it.

More so than pacing, it kind of irked me that every time we began to even remotely care about any of the cast, we'd instantly have to forget the majority of them in about 14 - 16 episodes, and get accustomed to another new cast. Thanks to this, it was hard to place a dot on who the "real antagonist" was, nor did I really care who it was once they got around to telling us. I liked that they tried new things with the whole generational thing, but I don't think it served their purpose too well.

Also, equipment wise, I think they moved through too many units, on both sides of the conflict, especially on the Mars side. And the magical "make tech that beats the baddie" machine didn't sit well with me either. In the end, for what it's worth, I enjoyed Gundam Seed (both seasons) a LOT more than AGE.

I can see where supporters of AGE are coming from, but it really wasn't my cup of tea. If this series was anything but Gundam, it wouldn't even register on the radar for most people.

tl:dr Sunrise threw a bunch of ideas together into a blender, set it to max, and out popped Gundam AGE

• 2 weeks later...

Which is what Crossboy said two posts up.

As far as ZZ is concerned, it's not the horrible piece of crap I was led to believe but it's not that great either. It just wastes SO. MUCH. TIME. Still, I'll stream the episodes for the hits and we'll see what other shows they're willing to give us.

Which is what Crossboy said two posts up.

Somehow I missed that. :(

It just wastes SO. MUCH. TIME.

I can tell by this you never saw L.Gaim or Tomino's post-Victory works. :p

I'll stream the episodes for the hits and we'll see what other shows they're willing to give us.

I won't. Not because I dislike ZZ (I don't), but because I almost never rewatch things.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell by this you never saw L.Gaim or Tomino's post-Victory works. :p

That's as may be but it doesn't change the fact that ZZ's story meanders until the middle then starts meandering again until the last two or so episodes.

I won't. Not because I dislike ZZ (I don't), but because I almost never rewatch things.

The point is to generate hits so that the Daisuki people know that people are watching Gundam and then, hopefully, give us more. You don't have to ACTUALLY watch them.

In any case, Build Fighters has updated their site with some new characters. Unfortunately the main character's mom, while the proprietor of the hobby shop, is apparently useless when it comes to Gunpla. And the Italian guy uses Gunpla to pick up chicks. :D

www.gundam-bf.net

• 2 months later...
Anyway, I'm finally going to get back into doing the remaster, which I'm sure will please/frustrate DuelGundam2099 to no end. :D

The first four episodes weren't too bad, I'm grudgingly forced to admit. However, I still maintain that I don't like them basically doing a reverse-SEED here. The setup is almost the exact same as SEED's opening, except this time, it's ZAFT who gets jacked by the Alliance and is pursuing the Alliance ship to gets its stuff back (though why they want the ugliest Gundams this side of L5 is beyond me).

And is it just me or is the Minerva's mobile suit operations and launching machinery overly complicated?

I thought Seed Destiny wasn't bad, but for the life of me, still can't figure out why starting out by launching the impulse in FOUR separate pieces makes sense. I know Gundam isn't meant to be realistic, but still, FOUR? That's like asking to get taken right out of the sky, before you have a chance to even call yourself a Gundam pilot.

I thought Seed Destiny wasn't bad, but for the life of me, still can't figure out why starting out by launching the impulse in FOUR separate pieces makes sense. I know Gundam isn't meant to be realistic, but still, FOUR? That's like asking to get taken right out of the sky, before you have a chance to even call yourself a Gundam pilot.

Ever seen Victory? Stuff like that happens fairly frequently in the early episodes.

I have a short question. Can someone of the Gundam aficionados explain me in short sentences what the deal is with the Gundam 00.

There is the Raiser and the Seven Sword, the Exia (Trans-Am/ Repair) and the Quan[T].

They all look similar to me and from the images on the Internet there should be three other colored and different looking Gundams in the team so I assume the blue/white/red Gundams are all the same.

I'm trying to build a MG 00 Raiser and was kinda curious what this is and why all MGs from 00 look the same. From the Wikipedia synopsis I cannot figure out this so a few sentences why the different blue Gundams are would be nice.

I'm no Gundam fan besides the design of the Mobile Suits so don't hate me for my ignorance. ;)

They were all built by the same people. It goes starting with 0 (the one that looks like the Mark 1 from the original series) to the Celestial Being 4 (one of which is Exia) and the Thrones. Exia data was developed into 00 and 00 data was developed into Qan [T].

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Exia is the fist Gundam piloted by Setsuna F. Seiei (the main protagonist of 00) during the first season of the show.

gn-001.jpg

Exia is nearly destroyed in the final battle of season one. The battle damaged version seen at the begining of season two is known as Exia repair 1

gn-001re.jpg

exia then get's fully repaired/upgraded, and shows up for the final battle of season two as Exia Repair 2

gn-001re2.jpg

Exia Repair 2 get nearly destroyed in the final battle of season Two, and afterwards is rebuild as the Exia Repair 3 (this version only shows up in comics and was never animated)

gn-001re3.jpg

The 00 gundam itself is a completely new suit that Setsuna gets as an upgrade to replace his damaged Exia during Season 2. it has two GN drives (the Gundam's power plant) instead one (the things on the shoulders).

gn-0000.jpg

The 00 Raiser is is the combined form of the 00 gundam and the 0 raiser. the 0 raiser is a space fighter built to support the Gundams in combat, it can connect to the back and shoulders of the 00 Gundam to make it faster and give it more weapons.

(the 0 Raiser)

gnr-010.jpg

(the 00 raiser)

gn-0000+gnr-010.jpg

The 00 seven swords Gundam is another variant of the 00 Gundam that only shows up in comics. it's the 00 Gundam with a bunch of extra swords

gn-00007s.jpg

The 00 Qan[T] (read as Quanta) is Setsuna's third and final suit which he uses in the movie.

gnt-0000.jpg

Trans-Am is a power up mode that all of the gundams (and by the end of the show pretty much every mobile suit) can go into that makes them faster and more powerful. Visually it means the MS takes on a red/pink tint and becomes extra shiny/sparkly.

57718_k.jpg

In the show there were three other gundam pilots besides setsuna; Lockon Stratos who piloted green gun-wielding Gundams, Allelujah Haptism who piloted orange transforming gundams, and Tieria Erde who piloted various black/grey/purple and white gundams that were very bulky but had a much smaller Gundam inside/attached to them somehow. If you'd like me to go over those in more detail, just ask.

in short, the blue and white Gundams from 00 are 3 different suits, each with several upgraded/modified forms, that were all piloted by the same guy at different points in the story.

That is some awesome information. Thanks a lot! I may check out the Exia or the Quan[T] if I like the 00 Raiser (or the Nu Gundam because I like the color scheme, also the Sazabi looks cool, so I might ask questions like whats the difference between a Nu and a High Nu Gundam ;)).

I was just wondering why all the MG kits at hlj look like the same basic Mobile Suite.

Edited by Scyla

I was just wondering why all the MG kits at hlj look like the same basic Mobile Suite.

The color scheme is tradition. The protagonist gets that combo of white, blue, red.

As stated above, they look the same because they're part of the same lineage.

Exia-> 00/00 Raiser-> 00 Qan[T]

Exia was designed for CQC engagements, hence why it has a whole bunch of blade weapons. 00 Gundam builds off Exia's design and adds some improvements on top of being the testbed for the Twin Drive System. 00 Qan[T] further follows Exia's design of being a CQB-use MS as well as incorporating a Twin Drive System, inherited from 00 Gundam, and incorporating Innovator-technology into the mix. Gundam 00 is one of the few Gundam-shows where you can watch the progression of technology among the mobile suits without adding on another series with new characters.

also, MG Exia, MG 00 and MG 00 Qan[T] all use the same inner frame in kit form.

Also, Nu gundam is black and white; and shows up in the Movie Char's Counter Attack. The Hi-Nu is from the novelization of Char's Counter Attack, is blue, has a different backpack, and is smaller than the Nu Gundam.

episodes 5-9 of the Destiny Remaster. These episodes were actually really good. The action was great and I could see why people thought this series might have been better than SEED. Alas for the red ZAKU however for dealing with a Gundam dog in space.

A few points--

1. Is the same composer working on this series? All of a sudden the music feels like it's out of some Wagnerian opera. Not really what I like in the background as giant robits beat each other up.

2. I really liked the fragments of Junius 7 falling on Earth; very big and dramatic.

3. Shinn's constant snarking at Cagalli and her inability to snap back at him is getting tiresome. Oh look, we're back at ORB and... oh frak it's Yuna. This is where it all falls apart, isn't it?

4. For as much as I hate them, Yuna and Unato Seiran actually have some valid points. Cagalli can go MUH IDEALS all she wants but the reality is that the whole world will turn against them again if they refuse to at least act like they're against the PLANTs. I just wish it was more of a "the Seirans have the council in their pocket; I'm basically powerless," instead of a confused girl who doesn't seem to have learned thing one about politics in the last two or so years.

5. The battle at the PLANTs was pretty awesome and Dearka and Yzak get a little more screen time. I think they also added in Shiho Hahnenfuss in the Remaster. Blue Cosmos tries the 'ole Duke Nukem routine but ZAFT used Neutron Stampeder! It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!!

6. Any last shred of interest I had in Djbril as a villain has evaporated with his little temper tantrum. C'mon LOGOS, did you really think that ZAFT would have not thought up a defense for a nuclear missile attack since the last war? Especially since they, you know, INVENTED THE FRAKKING N-JAMMERS?

Also karate Murrue is hot. :)

post-14071-0-67227700-1383375120_thumb.png

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

The 00 Raiser is is the combined form of the 00 gundam and the 0 raiser. the 0 raiser is a space fighter built to support the Gundams in combat, it can connect to the back and shoulders of the 00 Gundam to make it faster and give it more weapons.

It should also be noted that the 0 Raiser was built to stabilize the 00 Gundam's Twin Drive system, as the Gundam alone could not handle the load of the GN Particles used in Trans-Am mode. Not only does the 0 Raiser stabilize the Twin Drive system, it also amplifies the 00 Gundam's Trans-Am mode by quadrupling the GN Particle output of the drives.

It should also be noted that the 0 Raiser was built to stabilize the 00 Gundam's Twin Drive system, as the Gundam alone could not handle the load of the GN Particles used in Trans-Am mode. Not only does the 0 Raiser stabilize the Twin Drive system, it also amplifies the 00 Gundam's Trans-Am mode by quadrupling the GN Particle output of the drives.

I figure that for someone who's never watched a Gundam show before that might be more detail than he needed. :p

.......... MAHQ has a blog, now I feel even more left out. :(

Er, that's not MAHQ'sblog, it's mine. If it were theirs, it'd have their logo plastered all over.

In any case...

Well this finishes off the first cour of the series and I gotta say, despite all my lingering resentment, these episodes weren't all that bad. 'Course now that we're up to this point in the show, you can see where things are starting to unravel at least on a few points.
Episode 10: Not much here. It's amusing to see fake Lacus calm the rage of the people. Also, is it just me or is that scene with the intro of the Savior carbon-copied from the Freedom intro?
Episode 11: Nice to se that although Yzak is still prickly, he's matured over the years. Too bad they're not going to get to do much else over the rest of the series. Yuna is like Lynn Kaifun: I want to reach through the screen and punch him in the face. Oh Cagalli, what happened to you? Also amusing to see Andy pull a Secret Agent Man, warning the Minerva of what's up in ORB. You know what would have been cool in this series? If he and Murrue got together.
Episode 12: Show of hands please for Yuna selling the Minerva out to the Alliance? I see we're all in agreement. Shinn finally gets to strut his stuff here but I still can't help but not care that much about the Impulse. It's just a slightly different looking Strike to me. By the way, what's the female opposite of emasculation?
Episode 13: AKA Freedom Returns! This was a pretty cool episode but also had some odd stuff. Murrue gets to use kung-fu which is awesome, but Andy's hand gun almost looks... comical? Just looks like a giant desert eagle barrel stuck on his forearm. How does his hand work? Seems hollow. The music in this episode also sounds like it escaped from a Super Nintendo or a Sega Genesis. I liked the irony of Kira using his 1337 skillz to disable the ASSH suits but then they all self-detonate anyway. LOL. You know, I have to wonder how the reception would have been if they'd actually had the balls to kill of Lacus?
Time for the wedding crashers eh? Oh and how did no one in the ORB military or government not catch wind of a MS battle on their shores?
Oh and the Lunamaria panty shot? I know that was totally fanservice, but I also like to think that it demosnstrates why a REAL military would never let Luna wear that miniskirt.

Episode 14: I'm sure I'll rant at length about this episode on the 'ole podcast but holy crap this episode irks the crap out of me. I think I've found a new addition to the Top 5 Worst Episodes of Gundam list. Now I'll have to check but I honestly think this episode is 1/3 flashbacks! And the wedding! It's just.... sooooooo cliche. Are Fukuda and Morosawa fans of Final Fantasy or something? Dammit Cagalli, where is your spine?! I'm starting to believe those stories that what happened to Cagalli in Destiny is because of the supposed fighting between Morosawa and Naomi Shindo. And wow, is Yuna a coward or what? He is exactly what I think Lynn Kaifun would be if he wasn't a pacifist.

Episode 15: I'm actually up to episode 23 at the moment and 15 illustrates a point about a pattern I've been seeing in Destiny ever since 14: Have an action episode, then a non-action one. Maybe two non-action eps, or an ep where the action just gets started but then we have to wait until next week for the meat and potatoes. Also, Rey playing the piano: single biggest character moment he's had in 15 episodes. What is even the point of him? Also, I'm not overfond of this harem that's developing around Athrun. I used to think it was kind of a joke but now...

Episode 16: Not much here. Shinn mouths off as usual and our heroes (at least for now) mix it up with the Extendeds again.

Episode 17: You know, for the work they did on the SEED remaster, some of these Destiny episodes are still REALLY wasteful of time. This episode has a ton of recap at the start, so much so that the REAL episode doesn't start until 4:20!! DA FRAK?!
I feel like at this point the writers weren't sure what to do with the Archangel, besides not wanting it to move away from Athrun and the Minerva characters. Shouldn't they be trying to figure out where those ASSH suits came from and/or smuggling Cagalli back into Orb or something?

Episode 18: This was actually a really good episode surprisingly. The last good episode of Destiny perhaps?icon_biggrin.gif Almost like the Star Wars: A New Hope of Gundam. The only thing I didn't like was Shinn's attitude. Unfortunately, that's not going away anytime soon, is it?

Episode 19: So yeah, once again an action episode is followed up by sittin' down to dinner. icon_biggrin.gif I love how Durandal throws out LOGOS here... and the Minerva crew promptly forgets about it until Durandal makes the announcement. Heine shows up here but is silent; I guess they couldn't get T.M. Revolution into the recording booth that day. icon_smile.gif

Episode 21: More slowdown with Athrun getting an eyeful of Meer's nipples (when you guys mentioned that i thought you meant kinda sorta nipples, not the actual thing! 0__o Don't the Japanese censors usually say no to this stuff?), Luna getting mad etc. See, this is why i don't like this kinda sorta harem developing around Athrun. Maybe I'm crazy, but I find I don't much care for Heine. I really don't care much for characters that just show up out of the blue, offer wisdom to the established characters and crap. That and I know he's gonna die in a few eps and they wasted budget on hiring some celebrity.
Shinn meets Stella and I can't say I care overmuch for her. I don't dislike her, I just don't care. I have plenty of sympathy for what she went through at Lodonia but... Four Murasame could actually hold a conversation. I really can't tell if there is supposed to be a romantic attraction there or if he's using her as a substitute for his sister...

Episode 22: Can we get going here? Now we have set up for the battle and oh boy, here comes Kira and the Super Friends. I really have to wonder if anybody died when Kira blew up the Tannhauser?

Episode 23: Aahaha Heine died. Man, the Gouf is doomed no matter what universe! icon_smile.gif At least we get Andy in his Murasame. So Kira cripples the Minerva and Cagalli tries to stop the ORB forces... although its kinda late for that. All the dramatic tension goes out the window as the Freedom lays waste to everyone. You know, if you really wanted the ORB forces to stop fighting, Kira should have gone after the ships and disabled ALL of the M1s and Murasames. And Cagalli does... absolutely nothing, despite the Strike Rouge being retconned the Ootori pack. Rassa frassa...
And now that we've spent three episodes (and a clipshow, technically) building up to this battle and now it's time to slow things down again. *sigh* Oh and who here is absolutely sick and tired of seeing Uzumi burning in the fires of his ideals? I'm gonna have a rant about that later on.

Episode 24 AKA The Archangel Has An Onsen: No seriously, whiskey tango foxtrot? I'm sorry but this is just patently ridiculous; I view this as being one of the prime representations of everything that is wrong with Destiny. The Archangel is a WARSHIP. Not the bloody Enterprise-D! If they absolutely must have an Onsen, take a cue from Full Metal Panic and just have it be a converted cleaning tub. Oh and more added fan service where Fukuda finally says "screw it" and shows Lacus naked. From behind but still naked with no Naked Spaceâ„¢ shenanigans. *bangs head on wall several times* I mean, for frak's sake, not even the Freeden, a ship run entirely by mercs, had luxuries like this. Maybe they should rename the Archangel, the Hall of Justice? icon_smile.gif
Anyway, Athrun meets Miriallia and gets in touch with the Super Friends, oh wait, before that. We see several bodies being carted away from the ZAFT base and Minerva, including Heine's. I wonder if some of those guys might have been killed on the Minerva? Would make Lord Yamato a little hypocritical, wouldn't it?
Lunamaria is following Athrun. Sent on a mission or just blowing off her responsibilities? Naw, I'm kidding, I know Talia sent her.
And I'm kinda getting even more annoyed with Shinn. He might be a trained, enlisted pilot, but he acts more like the Accidental Teenage Pilotâ„¢. He and Rey find the Lodonia lab and Rey actually has another moment of character development. Not much of one but hey, this guy seems to have to take what he can get.

Next up will be episodes 25-28 and 30. and that'll be through the 2nd cour of the series and into the third.

Shouldn't they be trying to figure out where those ASSH suits came from and/or smuggling Cagalli back into Orb or something?

What do you think they'll be doing in the following episodes? Hell, one episode later they do the latter (I''m surprised you didn't mention it).
I really have to wonder if anybody died when Kira blew up the Tannhauser?

No.
Next up will be episodes 25-28 and 30. and that'll be through the 2nd cour of the series and into the third.

Stopping at 30? Banshee, brah, you're going to want to make your stop at episode 33. Also, why skip 29?