Dead Compressor :(

armentage

So my 1-year old Paasche D500 "stopped" while I was spraying Future the other day...

I really havent used it that much, no more than 10 hours of use over the course of a year. When I power it up it buzzes a bit, and I can see the cooling impeller start to turn but stop immediately.

I have a feeling it's clogged with cat hair. Anyone know how I can take it apart to take a look inside?

It's been a long time since I had mine... but I vaguely remember taking it apart once.

There were two very long screws that held the plate on the back on. If I remember right, all that's in that end is an offset weight on a short shaft (the set screw that holds it in place fell out on mine). Try turning that shaft with the power off. If it spins more or less freely, that'll at least mean the motor isn't siezed. If there's a lot of friction, then it's probably in dire need of oiling. And if it's rock solid, you're probably screwed.

If the motor isn't fried, you may be able to get it started by plugging it in and giving that shaft a spin to get it started. If that's the case, open the front cover (the one with the vents), clean it as best you can, and get some oil on the shaft. Hopefully that'll get things going.

I recommend "3 in 1" oil over wd-40 or slicon types as it won't cause any issues... as long as you are using oil based paints anyways. Compressed air will also remove cat hair once it's dry.

Thanks for the tips -- It has turned over and started to run for a few seconds before stopping again, so I don't think it's totally dead yet.

I did try taking out those 2 long screws, but the cover they hold down wouldn't come off. I'm going to try being more forceful with it tonight; I was a little afraid of pulling something out that I couldn't put back (this is how I broke all my toys as a kid.)

Any idea where exactly I should be oiling it? Heres a link to the instructions.. maybe someone can point out some of the part numbers that tend to dry out.

http://www.emporiomichelangelo.com.br/paas...manual_D500.pdf

Aha! I think I was having the same problem with mine at one time. You start it up,

it goes chugga-chugga-chugga, and then stops. With mine, if I would hold open the

air on my airbrush, it would start chugging again. I think too much back pressure

was preventing the diaphram from moving.

I was reading the manual you sent, and I wonder if this is your problem:

2. Open Bleeder Valve by turning Hex Nut, then Knurled

Stem counterclockwise, approximately two turns, this

prevents compressor from having to start under load.

DO NOT close Bleeder Valve completely as

Compressor may not start under pressure.

If you have already tried this, then never mind.

I will have to try this on mine. My solution to the orignal problem was to get a

quieter, piston compressor. If this fixes my problem, it will be nice to have

a backup.

I was reading the manual you sent, and I wonder if this is your problem:

2. Open Bleeder Valve by turning Hex Nut, then Knurled

Stem counterclockwise, approximately two turns, this

prevents compressor from having to start under load.

DO NOT close Bleeder Valve completely as

Compressor may not start under pressure.

385076[/snapback]

I'm familiar with the back-preasure problem. I actually have a regulator/moisture trap on my brush which helps with that problem, though I sometimes have to let some preasure out the brush (or through the tap's escape valve) to get the pump going.

In my case, I was running for a good minute before the compressor stopped and never started up again :(