The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

I suppose that would apply to people with new engines also. I can see why those methods are contraversial but I can also see them making sense...

question: if I was moving to a state that does emissions testing, what else do I need besides having cats on the car? does it have to look factory?

(example states: Ohio and Virginia)

i live in VA and your car can look as ridiculous as you want it to. Dependent on where you live in VA, some counties don't have emissions, but if it's Northern Virginia (where i live), then it's no worse than New Jersey or New York. As long as you have cats, there's no "check engine" light on, and you're not leaking anything (of course the typical stuff like lights and everything work), then you should have no trouble passing. Especially if you have an older car since they use a different emissions standard that pretty much anything could pass.

Also the article i posted made me raise my brow at first, but after getting a logical explanation that does in fact make sense, i will definitely try it out when/if i pick up a brand new vehicle and then post my results. The idea of compression expanding the rings to the cylinder walls made perfect sense.

Edited by emajnthis

Front wheel drive cars can't drift, so unless that work is "buy another car" you're SOL.

As terribly forward as YLM can be, he's completely right; you can turn the 3 into a formidable track car, but a drift car is out of the question, sorry dude.

As for the lowering springs and camber kit. Dependent on the quality of the springs, how agressive the lowering is etc. Generally a rule of thumb is when you lower the vehicle and your tire is not flat against the ground (0 camber) then you need a camber kit. You will most likely experience negative camber with lowering which would wear the inside of the tires /-----\ which can be easily remedied with a camber kit. When i lowered my maxima i didn't need a camber kit same with the MR2, so you might not need it for your EVO (nice car BTW), but if you notice the tread going sour on the inside of the tires you should definitely take corrective action.

As terribly forward as YLM can be, he's completely right; you can turn the 3 into a formidable track car, but a drift car is out of the question, sorry dude.

As for the lowering springs and camber kit. Dependent on the quality of the springs, how agressive the lowering is etc. Generally a rule of thumb is when you lower the vehicle and your tire is not flat against the ground (0 camber) then you need a camber kit. You will most likely experience negative camber with lowering which would wear the inside of the tires /-----\ which can be easily remedied with a camber kit. When i lowered my maxima i didn't need a camber kit same with the MR2, so you might not need it for your EVO (nice car BTW), but if you notice the tread going sour on the inside of the tires you should definitely take corrective action.

it also depends on how often he hits the track with the EVO as well. There are kits out there that'll let you adjust the Camber, Caster, Etc., and that way he can readjust it back to street-specs if need be.

Either that or get a set of tires just for the track/fun, and another for the street.

oh definitely go for the adjustable camber kits eventhough they're a bit more expensive, if you're going for track use or just in general it's easier to set the camber on adjustable. Otherwise you have to buy a camber kit for your specific offset (in degrees) which can be a real pain. To be honest, the EVO is a great car out of the box, you should just keep it the way it is and drive it until it can't move.

If you're interested in tuning, go for Vishnu Performance Systems, quite possibly the most wicked EVO tuners on the market. They make amazing ECU's and advanced installation parts, highly recommend them.

Unfortunately all cars (sans the latest addition) listed in the sig are former cars. I had a fun run with the Supra TT, got it right before the F&F made it popular and then sold it when i realized that some idiot teenager would pay a fortune to be like Brian Spilner.

It had almost 80,000 miles when i purchased it, it was a 94 Red Targa Twin Turbo 6 Speed and there was nothing wrong with it mechanically but it was definitely tired. I pampered it back to strength, but even on its best day it was nowhere near the same experience as my Uncle's Supra TT (which he incidentally purchased about a week after me and i didn't realize it).

He stole (figuratively) a Black 93.5 Supra Twin Turbo hard top 6 speed from an old widow who's husband kept it babied in the garage. The car had 9,000 miles on it and he bought it for 17,000 even. And that thing screamed like Hell on a Sunday, turbos were in impecible shape, and the transmission had no weird kinks or synchro problems (like mine did). After he found out what i sold mine for (purchased at 18k, sold for 27k) he got rid of his for close to 40,000 bucks. I'd say he made a damn good deal personally (considering brand new MSRP was 50,000) when you think about it, the car didn't depreciate.

Edited by emajnthis

New[?] TVR model: the Sagaris. Hmm, has some "Dodge Viper-esque" design cues to it. But signature love-it-or-hate-it TVR looks.

Also, in motorsports news: English team Apex Motorsports announces their intent to design & develop the new Jaguar XKR model for competition in the FIA GT3 Championship. http://www.apexmotorsport.co.uk/ The concept pics look dang good--looks like it could make for a gorgeous GT racer. This would seem to bode well for the series, which already boasts great diversity of makes. Too bad racing series here in the US can't encourage such fields; usually we just get treated to Porsche-parades here, with the odd underdogs running different makes sprinkled in.

post-1488-1164223471_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1164223487_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1164223502_thumb.jpg

anyone know anything about lowering a car? I wanna get some coil overs for my car, but one friend says I need a camber kit, the other says no. I don't know jack about cars, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nice car but if you don't know jack about cars, don't lower it. In fact, leave it as is. No reason to mess with it if you're just going to use it as a daily driver.

Unfortunately all cars (sans the latest addition) listed in the sig are former cars. I had a fun run with the Supra TT, got it right before the F&F made it popular and then sold it when i realized that some idiot teenager would pay a fortune to be like Brian Spilner.

It had almost 80,000 miles when i purchased it, it was a 94 Red Targa Twin Turbo 6 Speed and there was nothing wrong with it mechanically but it was definitely tired. I pampered it back to strength, but even on its best day it was nowhere near the same experience as my Uncle's Supra TT (which he incidentally purchased about a week after me and i didn't realize it).

He stole (figuratively) a Black 93.5 Supra Twin Turbo hard top 6 speed from an old widow who's husband kept it babied in the garage. The car had 9,000 miles on it and he bought it for 17,000 even. And that thing screamed like Hell on a Sunday, turbos were in impecible shape, and the transmission had no weird kinks or synchro problems (like mine did). After he found out what i sold mine for (purchased at 18k, sold for 27k) he got rid of his for close to 40,000 bucks. I'd say he made a damn good deal personally (considering brand new MSRP was 50,000) when you think about it, the car didn't depreciate.

Hahaha, Brian Earl Spilner.

If ever I decide to move on to another Japanese sports car, the MK4 Supra is definitely high on my list. I've never been along on a drive in a Supra, and the only points of reference I have are the FD and the 350Z. Those two cars are like polar opposites when it comes to experiencing driving - one is very touchy and light while the other feels very solid and forgiving albeit less exciting. I wonder how one would describe the experience in a Supra.

Alot of Supra sellers sure hit paydirt when F&F broke out. Glad you and your uncle took advantage. Man, my car was driven by Dominic Torreto himself! And look at how the value on the FD still sucks! :lol:

I must have mistook the intent of your question. The Supra was a wonderful car to drive, it's not quite like anything else on the road, though the FD does come in very close but in a much different way. Again though, i must stress the difference between driving my Supra and my Uncle's, I think if I had more money it would have been different, but from what i can still remember...

The car is BIG, unlike the FD which felt very versatile and light on its feet, the Supra is BIG AND HEAVY, and it feels BIG AND HEAVY, i remember parking it next to my mom's station wagon and they were the same length.

Don't take a corner while dogging second gear because you will either spin out or your rear tires will break loose. Second gear is when the turbo kicks in and you get an immediate break neck jolt of power, if you are unsuspecting of such power you will definitely lose control of the car (My Uncle's would break loose even in a straight line). Which reminds me of how spiked the power was on that car, it seemed like second and fourth would scare the day lights out of you because the power just came so suddenly.

You never hit 6th gear; i only hit 6th gear once... ever. That's not to say you can't put it in 6th, but 5th is already set very wide, and kind of makes 6th pointless (unless you're going over 90). And the backseat is a joke (as expected), barely enough room for a suit case. The last criticism i have is to stay away from the Targa top; yeah it's a cool gimic but they spaced the wind flaps wrong so it creates a terrible whistle above 35mph.

The good points are definitely the interior, the motor, and just overall design. The car is gorgeous, and yet the beauty of the car is not just in its lines and curves, but their functionality. The Supra is VERY Easy to see out of, even the triangle rear window to look over in your blind spot or when making a turn into a difficult intersection is absolutely perfect in design.

The interior (though odd to some) IMO is one of the most perfect setups i've ever had. It's actually similar to the FD's where everything is angled towards the driver, but the Supra completes it in an almost fighter jet kind of feel, where you swear you were sitting in a cockpit. Plus in 3rd and 5th you have easy access to your radio buttons (but also easy access to smashing those radio buttons when quickly shifting)

The Twin Turbo Inline 6 is one of the most forgiving motors to drive (mostly because it's a square motor borexstroke are even), you can really step into it and the motor doesn't flinch, feedback, or whine at all, it just takes what you give it and keeps on going. The motor is also easy to swap parts and do maintenance on, though i sold mine before i got to do too much work on it :(. The motor sounds great in every gear, and the transmission shifts very smooth (unless the synchros are bad like they were on mine, then second or third shift like crap) and the clutch on mine wasn't fickle but mileage may vary.

That's all i can think of, if you get the chance to drive one, then don't hesitate, if you get the chance to buy one, same advice (so long as the price is within reason). The Supra's a great car, it might be awhile before you can do anything to it because good parts are EXPENSIVE for this car. That's all i can think of for now, i gotta drive up to NY in a little while.

I've got this sick feeling that the Mustang concept is going to be the Mustang's next look.

More importantly, where's the babe of the month 7?

Edited by myk

Egads!!! It's actually horse hide!! A mustang with real horse parts! That's punny!

The interior featuring a dramatic instrument panel that sweeps the width of the car; circular gauges that project from behind the steering wheel; dark brown horsehide-covered headrests with horse logo accents; and seat cushions and backrests elaborately upholstered in dark brown mottled horse hides.

I think the car is ugly; the interior (minus the horse hide and the bling bling shift logo) is probably it's only redeeming quality if transplanted in a regular GT mustang. The rear end, full glass roof/windshield and lambo doors make it look ridiculous.

I think the car is ugly; the interior (minus the horse hide and the bling bling shift logo) is probably it's only redeeming quality if transplanted in a regular GT mustang. The rear end, full glass roof/windshield and lambo doors make it look ridiculous.

I agree, it IS ugly.

I'm surprised at how clean that body is, the 240/80Z's are notorious for rusting out; *and it's a 280Z, he just removed the extra bumper extensions from the rear. The 240/80Z share almost the exact same body, it's the 260Z and 280ZX that look different. Good motor choice too, though he could have gone with the RB26 also if he wanted, i think the RB25 is more unique :). Most people jam Chevy 350's in there, i'm glad someone finally replaced an Inline 6 with an Inline 6.

*Edit: Actually since he removed the rear bumper and filled and filed the fenders there's no real way to tell the difference except the "Z" emblem which resembles the 280's more than the 240's; plus the video says 280Z when you play it.

Edited by emajnthis

Good motor choice too, though he could have gone with the RB26 also if he wanted, i think the RB25 is more unique :).

Speak of the devil!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I just discovered HybridZ.com, so I've been pretty much drooling nonstop. It's the only thing I can do while I wait for my new ECU to come in. I've already tackled most of the other car projects I set out to do since Thanksgiving.