The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

Well, I think this show was far too generous in its praise of the 2nd generation Dodge Charger, especially when quoting performance 'specs and how it ran against other cars and engines, but it's always nice to hear good things about your car:

http://www.aros-max.co.uk/holleystuff/ultimatecar.wmv

Didn't some pics of this car show up on this thread way back when? IIRC, it was subject to quite a bit of conjecture as to just what it was, and what car it was based on. Well, at least there's a name to connect to it now: Anteras XTM.

I still say it's just a Chev Corvette underneath the new sheetmetal...

post-1488-1162172711_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1162172724_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1162172735_thumb.jpeg

Edited by reddsun1

Didn't some pics of this car show up on this thread way back when? IIRC, it was subject to quite a bit of conjecture as to just what it was, and what car it was based on. Well, at least there's a name to connect to it now: Anteras XTM.

It's Anteros and yes, they are rebodied vettes.

the entire rear end is not my flavor, but i like how it has, as they say "hips and shoulders".

It looks kind of like the Batmobile with a 60's Vette influence

Odd, I like the back's character, but it is the nascar-like front that kills it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

There hasn't been any car talk in quite some time, so I'll put something out there to bump the thread.

So as I have said earlier in the year, my RX7 hasn't been driven in close to a year due first to a fender bender, body work, then some work I put in to install new headlights, some maintenance and a long overdue smog check. The smog check was worrying me since CA smog tests aren't the friendliest to turbo rotary engines and even less so for a mildly modded one. I'm happy to say I finally had it tested and passed with flying colors. In fact, I passed with numbers even better than the test 2 years prior.

It's quite a thing to get used to when you drive around a heavy 4 door for a majority of the year then hop into a light 2 seater with a twitchy suspension. It was unnerving to have to get reaccustomed to feeling every pebble and crack on the highway as well as the nasty tendency for the car to want to follow grooves in the road. The boost was a joy though - even if I hardly got on it - the stickers on my plates were dated July 2006, so I was pretty much expecting the police to come flying up to pull me over on the way to the smog test.

Anyways, so you'd think I'd be anticipating driving it around and finally getting back into the drivers seat, right? Nope - I fortunately got an awesome deal on a front mount intercooler for the car that I'll be installing over the weekend, so it's downtime once again. I'll probably remove the AC while I'm at it since it isn't a daily driver anyways. Wish me luck. :)

Congratulations, passing 'Cali smog tests can be rough. I have to say that I admire your patience though, as I adore your generation of RX-7 and would want to drive it everyday and everywhere. Refresh my memory, what more has to be done to your car to make it completely roadworthy again?

What I wouldn't give to have an RX-7 or a Supra or something...

Edited by myk

Congratulations, passing 'Cali smog tests can be rough. I have to say that I admire your patience though, as I adore your generation of RX-7 and would want to drive it everyday and everywhere. Refresh my memory, what more has to be done to your car to make it completely roadworthy again?

What I wouldn't give to have an RX-7 or a Supra or something...

Thanks Myk. Actually it's roadworthy now, I had taken out all the performance parts out of the engine bay and returned it back to stock. I can drive it around as soon as I get my registration stickers in the mail. But I think I'll be putting it back on jackstands in a day or two to take off the front bumper so I can take the AC out and replace the tiny little OEM intercooler with a bigger high flowing one, as well as putting all the performance goodies back in. Whats stupid is that I can pass the sniffer part of the smog test with the parts in, but I would fail visual, hence why I took them out.

Daily driving the RX7 is uncomfortable at times since the cabin soaks up all the heat from the cat and turbos and there is almost no sound deadening. I wouldn't mind getting a Supra either, either a MKIII or MKIV. I imagine it'd be a much more comfortable daily driver prospect. Actually, what I really want to get as my next project car is a first gen Eclipse GSX. I have a soft spot for them as it was the first car I drove with any sort of performance. The first car I ever drove was a Mitsubishi Cordia. Never heard of it? I'm not surprised, it was crap. :lol:

Was this RX-7 a former Trans-Am series racer, or what? Sounds like this thing was built to race only, or something. Having to de-tune a machine like that must suck; gorgeous car either way.

As for the Eclipse, I have to give credit where it's due, as those things are quick little mothers.

Cordia what? Lol...

Here's the latest collabo between Chip Foose & Unique Performance: Challenger "Supercar." Looks pretty cool, but I'm just not feeling the wheels/tires--I like the updated-classic look, but it's carried too far, they're too dang big. Makes it look too toy-like, like one of them DUmB City toys or something.

Don't these customs ring the register at upwards of $100K? Bit dang pricey for some gussied up old muscle cars.

post-1488-1163696918_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1163696932_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1163696944_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1163696965_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

The folks at DodgeCharger.com have been agonizing over Foose and that car for a while now. I must be the only person in that forum who isn't an adamant supporter of drum brakes and 14" wheels with bias-ply tires.

Speaking of wheels/tires, I don't like Foose's taste in wheels either, but I won't ignore the performance of larger wheels/tires. Just how big does one go to increase performance before the wheels become too big? I would guess somewhere along the line of 17 to 18 inches, or something; anything else larger is just style and flash over function...

I agree. 17" or 18" goes a long way towards improving the looks/perf of a car while remaining within the boundaries of good taste.

I'm no fan of "drums and bias ply's" either. I think utilizing 30+ yr old technologies just for the sake of keeping something "factory original" goes too far in the wrong direction as well, considering how much more safety/performance/comfort can be made available to keep cool old cars on the road.

The folks at DodgeCharger.com have been agonizing over Foose and that car for a while now. I must be the only person in that forum who isn't an adamant supporter of drum brakes and 14" wheels with bias-ply tires.

Car forum guys are so damned obnoxious. They love battying about how one of 'their' cars was ruined by someone who's tastes differs from theirs. A few years back there was a Monster Garage where they tried to turn a 2nd gen RX7 into a sand crawler and failed, and so Jesse James shot the car up with a chain gun. Guys on Rx7club were LIVID and battyed about it constantly. It's like hey guys... it's a CAR, there's more than one around. :rolleyes:

Speaking of wheels/tires, I don't like Foose's taste in wheels either, but I won't ignore the performance of larger wheels/tires. Just how big does one go to increase performance before the wheels become too big? I would guess somewhere along the line of 17 to 18 inches, or something; anything else larger is just style and flash over function...

Agreed on both topics. They were really pissed.......

for me, 17's are as big as I will go.

17's look good on my wannabe-econo-sport, it really depends on the car, but imho 17's and bigger don't look right on muscle cars

well, the only reason why I said 17's, is because that's the size that's most readily availiable for performance tires these days.........I can't run Oval Track Slicks after all....that would be cool though.

Hah! I glanced back in for a quick peek and find my question answered. Awesome. :-)

Anteros XTM it is then. Thanks.

Finish that thing already! :p

Hhahaha, it'll never be done. As soon as I finish something, I'll want to change another thing. :lol:

I spent the last 3 hours pulling off the front bumper, draining the radiator, removing the stock intercooler and pipes, primering some rusted over spots in the engine bay, pulling out the AC condenser, compressor and all AC lines. After this I can finally tackle relocating my radiator and shoving in the bigass new intercooler. I think I could go all night with this and be done by Monday, but when am I going to fit in my FFXII hours?! :)

It's great that you're doing your own work. 'May just be me but I'd rather play with an RX-7 turbo than Final Fantasy XXXXVVVVIII or whatever they're up to now, lol...

For those of you that have never looked into the engine bay of a rotary car, I have these pics of my work this weekend. I was really surprised how the engine only takes up half of the engine bay and everything forward of the shock towers is mostly an airbox, the intercooler, radiator and AC condensor. Hell, I could stand in that big hole in the engine bay.

IPB Image

IPB Image

That's why so many people throw V8's in there without any trouble; even the Supra's 2JZ has been fitted in an FD provided some extra hood clearance. So long as you can keep that Rotary in proper shape, that car will be a beast on the road. I also highly respect those who do their own vehicle work, this is a very beautiful car.

That's why so many people throw V8's in there without any trouble; even the Supra's 2JZ has been fitted in an FD provided some extra hood clearance. So long as you can keep that Rotary in proper shape, that car will be a beast on the road. I also highly respect those who do their own vehicle work, this is a very beautiful car.

x2 :)

that explains the great weight distribution that the RX-series is known for.

EDIT: that's a really nice color too!

Edited by Lightning 06