The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

Interesting.  At first, I was surprised they went with the Camry nameplate instead of the "Solara," since that's their coupe model; then again, the Camry is a much more well known model name and identifiable with Toyota.  After all, how many people say "Toyota Camry" any more?  It's just synonymous with with the brand. 

Meh, none of them look a godd--n thing like their corporate namesakes, anyway...

National Ass'n of Silhouette Car Auto Racing

395662[/snapback]

not even the silhouette is the same anymore...the body will from here on out will be based on a Chevorlet. no wonder why Ford is thinking about pulling out... >:-p this is why i like rally racing, drifting, and road racing: at least they use production-Based bodies.

395681[/snapback]

Yup, FIA's GT-3 category is showing some promise. The cars seem to have started life as bona-fied production super cars; there's nice variety of makes in the grids; and it seems to be focused on privateer racing, in an effort to keep costs from spirlaing out of control?

I do take exception to "ringers" in some American racing series, like the GTO-R. Anybody who's seen one of the Pratt & Miller-built chassis next to say, the Millen D1 drift ver of the GTO will know what I mean. Cars like the factory Corvettes and the Aston DB9SR come precariously close, with their highly modded bodies, so disparately different from the production namesakes.

aalam-600x400.png

Bad news for Acura owners:

395719[/snapback]

Not too sad over here, I knew it was coming. I'd like Acura to keep making lower-end models because I liked where their designs were going, especially when compared to Honda's. Now that Acura has a new design wing in Cali, it'll be interesting to see what they come out with next.

I wonder if this will help or hurt my 06 resale value?

Maybe they'll charge 25K+ for something that has power to the right wheels this time.

395742[/snapback]

Yeah, but can they do it before Hyundai does? Next year's Tiburon replacement will be RWD.

395751[/snapback]

LOL! Someone finally makes a cheap car the right way.

And now time for a commercial break:

395898[/snapback]

That was...disturbing... :D

And now time for a commercial break:

395898[/snapback]

That was...disturbing... :D

396232[/snapback]

can't watch it... cell phone's browser sucks

I wonder if this will help or hurt my 06 resale value?

395933[/snapback]

Depends on the demand. I remember when Honda discontinued the Prelude. The resale value of the last-generation model was ridiculously high - and it still is.

Many people here seem to be classic muscle car fans.....

This new upcoming car is of interest.

Here are off the press specs of the upcoming Ford Shelby GT500. The latest tests (SAE) shows an ouput of 500HP and 480lb-ft torque from the supercharged 5.4L V8. I estimate a 0-60mph time somewhere in the mid 4 second range.

Technical Specifications

Type

V-8

Manufacturing location

Romeo, Michigan

Configuration

Iron Block and Aluminum Heads

Intake manifold

Cast-aluminum with Roots-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler

Exhaust manifold

Cast iron

Crankshaft

Forged steel

Throttle Body

Dual 60 mm, electronic

Valvetrain

DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder

Valve diameter

Intake: 37.0 mm; Exhaust: 32.0 mm

Pistons

Forged aluminum

Connecting Rods

Cracked forged steel I-beams

Ignition

Coil-on-plug

Bore x stroke

3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.2 x 105.8 mm

Displacement

330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc

Horsepower

500 hp @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)

Torque

480 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm (SAE Certified)

Compression ratio

8.4:1

Redline

6,250 rpm

Idle Speed in Neutral

750 rpm

Engine control system

Spanish Oak PCM

Required fuel

Premium

Fuel Injection

Electronic returnless sequential

Oil capacity / type

6.5 quarts / Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Coolant capacity

21 quarts

Peak Boost

9 psi

post-184-1146754913_thumb.jpg

I love the specs on the new Stang, but I wish Ford (and most companies for that matter) would focus on their weight. 500HP in a car that weighs nearly 4000lbs (or exactly 4000lbs if you get the convertible) is not as impressive as it should be. I'm sure as soon as a sports car enthusiast buys one their going to start throwing weight out left and right to make that thing turn out awesome track times.

While I think the paint scheme somehow doesn't quite "fit" on the new P. Jones ed. by Saleen, I do like the idea behind the overall package. Kudos to them for going the N.A. route [less weight, less complexity] and still turning out pretty doggone good numers; nearly 400 in both hp and torque are pretty good for a street car, I'd say. If I could get one, I'd definitely be looking to shave a couple hundred pounds off the curb weight, then take it out to some auto-x/track day events.

While I think the paint scheme somehow doesn't quite "fit" on the new P. Jones ed. by Saleen, I do like the idea behind the overall package.  Kudos to them for going the N.A. route [less weight, less complexity] and still turning out pretty doggone good numers; nearly 400 in both hp and torque are pretty good for a street car, I'd say.  If I could get one, I'd definitely be looking to shave a couple hundred pounds off the curb weight, then take it out to some auto-x/track day events.

396745[/snapback]

Intake manifold

Well, for my money a true musclecar is NA. I don't have anything against superchargers or turbosuperchargers, but how they affect performance seems "unmusclecar" like to me.

Along the same lines, I really wish those peak power numbers could be had at lower RPM. In a musclecar, I don't want to have to gun it to get my grunt, I want it to be there from the word go. I'm not saying this car won't have great pickup, but I would like to see horse and torque curves peaking in the 3000-4500 range.

Still, it's a cool car.

Edited by Phyrox

in a force induced car it is very rare to see peak HP/torque any lower than it is (4500rpm for torque on any kind of car is pretty darn good) Supercharged cars usually prove better at getting their power early than turbo charged cars (inherit in design). For some greater perspective on how good a power band the GT500 has, the ZO6 Vette doesn't hit it's HP peak until 6200rpm and torque at 4800 so the Stang is already a jump ahead in that regard. Personally i think if they're going to use a cast iron blocked motor then they better supercharge it to get all of the extra juice they can, doesn't seem any less "muscle car" or "american" to me.

Well, for my money a true musclecar is NA.  I don't have anything against superchargers or turbosuperchargers, but how they affect performance seems "unmusclecar" like to me.

Along the same lines, I really wish those peak power numbers could be had at lower RPM.  In a musclecar, I don't want to have to gun it to get my grunt, I want it to be there from the word go.  I'm not saying this car won't have great pickup, but I would like to see horse and torque curves peaking in the 3000-4500 range.

Still, it's a cool car.

396763[/snapback]

Bah...

A turbo gives you more HP, and more torque...

I don't see what there is to complain about.

(besides, you'll still be making the same power at 3000-4500 RPMs as you would have without the turbo, just that you'll make even more at a higher range)

I prefer a big-inch stroker engine to supercharging or turbocharging. but between the two I'd go with whatever's cheapest, or less complex.

Many people here seem to be classic muscle car fans.....

This new upcoming car is of interest.

Here are off the press specs of the upcoming Ford Shelby GT500.  The latest tests (SAE) shows an ouput of 500HP and 480lb-ft torque from the supercharged 5.4L V8.  I estimate a 0-60mph time somewhere in the mid 4 second range.

Technical Specifications

Type

V-8

Manufacturing location

Romeo, Michigan

Configuration

Iron Block and Aluminum Heads

Intake manifold

Exhaust manifold

Cast iron

Crankshaft

Forged steel

Throttle Body

Dual 60 mm, electronic

Valvetrain

DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder

Valve diameter

Intake: 37.0 mm; Exhaust: 32.0 mm

Pistons

Forged aluminum

Connecting Rods

Cracked forged steel I-beams

Ignition

Coil-on-plug

Bore x stroke

3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.2 x 105.8 mm

Displacement

330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc

Horsepower

500 hp @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)

Torque

480 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm (SAE Certified)

Compression ratio

8.4:1

Redline

6,250 rpm

Idle Speed in Neutral

750 rpm

Engine control system

Spanish Oak PCM

Required fuel

Premium

Fuel Injection

Electronic returnless sequential

Oil capacity / type

6.5 quarts / Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Coolant capacity

21 quarts

Peak Boost

9 psi

396704[/snapback]

does it have the same suspension and stupid solid rear diff of the Mustang?

Furthermore, did they stop the IRS for the Mustang (Cobra) in 2004?

anybody see this yet? 

The T-rex

All I see is a girl holding a helmet...

If you have to put a girl next to your car, it's probably a lame car.

397437[/snapback]

Fast cars and pretty girls? Man, thats like, baseball and hot dogs; pretzels and beer; peanut butter and chocolate; ice hockey and fist fights....somehow, they just seem to fit together so well.

model2wall.jpg

I'd like to think I'm a city wolf; but deep down, I guess I'm just like him--I'm a country wolf at heart.... *gurls gurls, bring on the gurls, love the pretty gurls. ARRROOOOO!!!*

But I'll meet you halfway, yellowlightman; sometimes, a vehicle just cannot be saved from its own lameness. This one, for example, has no hope for redemption.

logan.jpg

While THIS one, on the other hand, could very well stand up on its own merit all alone in the photo...

83mercedes_005.jpg

Buuut. It'd be just fine if the vote fell that she should stay in the pic... :p

Edited by reddsun1

Could we be witness to The Return of the King? M. Schumacher seems to be returning to winning form; takes 1st place at GP at Nurburg. Pulls himself up to 2nd in points behind F. Alonso.

Edited by reddsun1

Nurburgring is one of the most famous tracks that Schumacher (and most race car drivers for that matter) is all too familiar with (it's the epitomy of THE race track) so it's not a big surprise to see him run away with a win on that course. Schumacher is way too good a driver to have been stuck in a rut for too long, if you look at Ferrari's season most of their losses were because of bad tire and suspension setups costing them valuable track time. If Schumacher can keep it up he might be able to pull ahead of Alonso but as of right now I'm pretty sure Renault has it in the bag.

397382[/snapback]

Better suspension same solid rear differential. Shelby gave an interview that explained why they didn't put an idependent rear and it was because it showed no significant improvement over a solid rear but costing tons more to have it (price tag couldn't be sub 50,000 if it had the independent rear). So for the sake of the mid/high 40's price tag, i'm sure no one is going to complain about a solid rear especially if it's still going to pull close to 1.0g in the skidpad as it is. The real test is going to be pinning the car against the ZO6 and testing the performance to dollar since there may be a new winner.

397382[/snapback]

Better suspension same solid rear differential. Shelby gave an interview that explained why they didn't put an idependent rear and it was because it showed no significant improvement over a solid rear but costing tons more to have it (price tag couldn't be sub 50,000 if it had the independent rear). So for the sake of the mid/high 40's price tag, i'm sure no one is going to complain about a solid rear especially if it's still going to pull close to 1.0g in the skidpad as it is. The real test is going to be pinning the car against the ZO6 and testing the performance to dollar since there may be a new winner.

397487[/snapback]

Pulling 1 G's just means it comes with good tires. It DOESN'T mean it nessicarily handles well, and a solid rear is going to make it drive like an elephant on the track.

Especially around complex corners...

Also, it's not like an independent rear costs THAT much, considering that much cheaper cars come with them (350Z? RX-8? Basically everything that isn't front-wheel drive...)...

but the cars you mention with independent rears are much lighter and less complex than the porky supercharged Mustang and so while they have independent rears, they also don't have to be of high build quality. We're talking (from Shelby's mouth) a near 5grand difference to have an independent rear for the GT500. For that much you can get an aftermarket company to build you one.

Some people would even argue (especially if you're a D1 fan) that the solid rear would help more than hurt the Mustang. From a performance standpoint independent rear is "better" than solid rear, but if that's always the case then tell all of the Vette owners to dump their Transverse leaf for a coil over spring and hear the uproar you 'cause on that (or overhead valve for OHC, etc.).

If i wasn't clear enough on why independent rear would be more expensive, it's because it's not something that's formally in production on any of their cars so they can't just take it off of the shelf. They would have to do R&D and then manufacture and independently install seperately from the assembly line (since specialty cars like the GT500 and ZO6 are built on the same assembly line as their little brothers). It's just a whole slew of extra unecessary steps that really don't add much to the overall driving experience of the vehicle. And if it's that big of a deal for people taking it to a track, then they can do it themselves for a fraction of the cost.