6 Foot Long Daedalus Scratch Build Up

MechTech

I've probably said this before, but I think it would be a tremendous act of cruelty, an absolute crime against humanity if you don't build the rest...........of the SDF-1.

*ucking awesome job man, I can't stress that enough.

Edited by peter

I've probably said this before, but I think it would be a tremendous act of cruelty, an absolute crime against humanity if you don't build the rest...........of the SDF-1.

*ucking awesome job man, I can't stress that enough.

Maybe you can take out some kind of court injunction that says he has to make the rest :p

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

UPDATE 24 DECEMBER 2011

[X] - Construction

[X] - Wiring

[ / ] - Paint

Thank you guys AGAIN for all your compliments and even threats of legal action :D I'm almost done! Since I'm on Christmas break I've had opportunity to get some painting done. Whatever you do, DON'T use Valspar paint for your models! I bought some at nearly $5.00 a can so I thought it'd be great - wrong answer! It spatters and runs badly! Plus the color turned out WAY darker than the cap, so I AM REPAINTING the blue you see here. It should be a grayish blue. The Rustoleum "Plastic" worked great, especially since I primed it first. That's what the red bottom of the hull is.

The weather has only let me get done what you see so far. So what you see is what you get for now until the weather warms up a bit. Enjoy the photos and I think they're self explanitory. You'll see places where the paint beaded like water despite cleaning the surface. I believe it's the silicone oil I used on the joints since it's styrene safe. The closet you see in the end is where I store my models and the Daedalus will wait for slightly warmer weather. In the mean time I'm building scooters and ginger bread houses with my children :p Merry Christmas everyone again and as always, THANK YOU for your support! - MT

post-2518-0-15465200-1324760687_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-80764600-1324760697_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-83542700-1324760707_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-28939200-1324760726_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-33922500-1324760743_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-60701600-1324760752_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-10192800-1324760763_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-32265300-1324760771_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-58271100-1324760780_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-30127900-1324760939_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

Thanks guys! And I hope this new year finds more cool Macross stuff coming out, and more money available in our pockets to buy it with ;) I've got to reactivate the notifications for this thread. Still waiting on warmer weather and I'm trying to find the right shade of paint for this thing. I'm looking for a rattle can due to the size of this job, but if an airbrush is the only option, well...

How about an SDF-1 in 1/350th? :lol: It would be smaller. - MT

Thank you guys for the compliments, I REALLY appreciate it! The whole SDF-1 I'm thinking would be TOOooooo huge in all reality; but it's fun to think about doing it. Rotorhead, should I ask why the emphasis on the knees? - MT

@MechTech, because some time ago, I read a bit about about a guy on this forum who got into an argument over how the SDF-1 was supposed to have knees. I'm certain one of the other folks here will have a better recollection on the exacts than myself, but it just seemed to become a silly, long-running joke. Besides, it was the silliest thing that came to mind after envisioning a 1/350 SDF-1 using a 1/200 Daedalus Attack. Many apologies for the vague reference!

Thank you Kyekye! Yeah, finally some paint! With tommorrow's high around 32 degrees F, it aint happening anytime soon!

Thank Rotorhead, no sweat. I thought it was an "inside joke." If it make you feek better, the Imai 1/5000 kit has knees

;) That's funny. Happy New Year guys! - MT

Edited by MechTech

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a million Kyekye! I actually bought TWO of these last year :D I'm modifying a couple of these (that are to scale or good enough). That armored valk you see in my other buildup is from this set. A Valk with swing wings is on my work bench as I type ;) - MT

• 5 weeks later...

How's this baby coming along? Any plans for a "welcome back to Earth!" celebration/flight deck littered with people and planes etc.? This has been a great project to see unfold and an inspirational one, as well.

Congrats!

• 2 months later...

Thanks Binbo and WilhelmRochRedDuke, I DO appreciate it!!! I'm working on getting the right color paint in a few days. The heat is getting up there so as long as the humidity stays lower, I'll be good to go. - MT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yain hello, I'm from Argentina, I mean you're a god q I'm great, I'm new to the site and would like to ask you some reviews because I am putting together a sdf1, build one when I was 7 years and take it apart because I do not taste and then another at 17 with the same result both were higher than my house and I was complicated by the height, but now am tall and I have time and money to do it otherwise I have no problem but what I concern is the Daedalus and Prometheus, of course sorry if my English do not understand is why you use the google translator

Thank you guys! The humidity is way to high for me to finish painting this in the RIGHT colors. I'm hoping to finish this in the fall when the weather mellows out. I waited too long and summer came way to early! Thanks again! - MT

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I can see that. There it is, serenly cutting across the pond, its operator on shore enjoying the accolades of his fellow RC shippers. When suddenly the ship turns wildly, out of his control, and speeds towards a neighboring sail boat. Oh yes, it is time for a Daedalus Attack!! :D

Thank you guys! As if this wasn't enough, I think I'm doing a simpler version in 1/350th scale. Some of the destroids are already in the works for it (while the weather is getting better for painting). I STILL need to buy the paint too! Thanks again! - MT

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys, I was gonna paint the Daedlaus this weekend, then hurricane Sandy came into my back yard, so its gonna have to wait another weekend. This is the color I chose and bought four of for the "blue part" of the upper hull: http://www.utrechtart.com/Montana-Gold-Spray-Paint--Matte-Acrylic-Color--Mt--Fuji-MP27213-i1001029.utrecht What do you guys think of the color?

So here's hoping we're not all washed out on the East coast and able to paint next weekend! - MT