6 Foot Long Daedalus Scratch Build Up

MechTech

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the compliments! Things are slow while I take my online class. I've been wiring up the connectors and controller when I have time. I'm about half way done. No pictures since they would be boring wiring shots. Yes I will have sounds for it. In fact, I ordered the sound boards earlier this week (3ea) for the sounds. I will have the Macross warning alarm and other sounds effects. Each board records up to 30 seconds (quite a lot actually). I also added a green blinking LED to the controller to remind me it's on and an LED to indicate the main lights are on in the inside. I located a better motor to retract the ramp and also replaced that too. Again, nothing worthy of photos. I just thought I'd let you know I'm not slacking ;)

After I loop this a few time it will be my alarm MacrossAlarm.wav - MT

Thank you everyone for the compliments! Things are slow while I take my online class. I've been wiring up the connectors and controller when I have time. I'm about half way done. No pictures since they would be boring wiring shots. Yes I will have sounds for it. In fact, I ordered the sound boards earlier this week (3ea) for the sounds. I will have the Macross warning alarm and other sounds effects. Each board records up to 30 seconds (quite a lot actually). I also added a green blinking LED to the controller to remind me it's on and an LED to indicate the main lights are on in the inside. I located a better motor to retract the ramp and also replaced that too. Again, nothing worthy of photos. I just thought I'd let you know I'm not slacking ;)

Oh hell ya, that is awesome MT!! perfect choice for the alarm sirens, classic Macross style!! B))

Holy $hit. This thing is amazing so far. If they were ever going to make a live-action Macross, they should use your model as one of the minatures. So, you going to mass-produce this thing for Macrossworld members or what?

Edited by peter

:blink: it`s too perfect. There is NOTHING that could make this better. Incredible. Keep up the excellent work and attention to detail.

Thanks AGAIN guys for the compliments!!! Yes, one can be yours for merely $75,000 (shipping included of course). :lol: Oh yeah, I need 4 years lead time too! School is slowing progress but I'm trodding along!

UPDATE 2 MARCH 2009

I received my voice recorders. I ordered them here for $2.00 each!!! http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store...RECORDER/1.html

If you're interested, read the reviews. One of them leads to a site that shows how to hack the board. I opened the box, removed the board and then the figure. By the way, my kids DID NOT like the figure at all! "Dad, are you going to throw the bad guy away?" I removed the mic element and soldered in a 1/16" headphone jack. I take the output of my computer's sound card and pump it right onto the board. I just push the record button on the board and play on the computer simultaniously. I can also control the output levels. This makes less noise and a louder/crisper sound.

The board's RAM keeps the sound even after batteries are removed! Each board holds 30 seconds of sound. Big bonus. Another note, they are three volts like EVERYTHING else! What a deal!

The amp on the board drives the tiny stock speaker fine, but I hooked up an old TV speaker (2.5" x 5") and it drives it great!. Nice bass and it's loud! The problem, weight again. I'm starting to sound like an anorexic supermodel probably, but weight is critical in something this "small." The big speaker weighs 225 grams, an improved tiny speaker ported with plastic tubing to enhance the sound only weighed 23 grams. Guess who won? (sorry, blurred photo)

post-2518-1236017318_thumb.jpg This is much louder, lighter, and uses less power. I can hear it all the way across the house with the TV on. I can also only use one speaker to each sound board. I might end up using the big speaker after all, for bass in explosions. The sounds I'll be using are:

1) Old school Macross alarm (30 second blast)

2) "Launch Daedalus Attack" from Lisa in your favorite and mine, Roblowtech. Unless someone can send me a newer dubbed version not HG related.

3) Heavy gun/missile fire to follow the launch command. I've got some REAL sounds that are awesome.

4) I don't know what other sounds would be good, but I'm open to suggestions. I bought three boards, so three types of sounds or 30 seconds of recording.

That's it for now. I'm always open to suggestions. You guys have helped shape this project over the years! - MT

Edited by MechTech

Too cool, hehe. I will seriously try to come up with some recommendations for sounds. I think that some of the more general Bridge Bunny announcements may work out well - lots of them are in wonderful engrish even in the original soundtrack.

Amazing as usual. If I have to nitpick I personally would have Misa speaking Japanese saying "Daedalus Attacku Hasshin!" or whatever she says in Japanese if you want a truely authentic Macross experience. Also I like the above suggestion of taking "Engrish"off the original Japanese soundtrack if you prefer it to be English.

Does anyone have some sound clips from the Japanese version? I've only got DYRL in the original. I also found the newer dubbed version of Macross online that I've been playing with. - MT

MT,

I'm getting a much needed Macross-boost visiting MW after a verrry long time and trying to catch up on events in this 'Frontier Era'.

Your diligence on your project is awe-inspiring and I hope the younger generation of MW'ers follows their imaginations w/garage hacks & customs. Thanks for 'bringing tears' to the eyes of a Space War I vet.

PS--I'm currently posted in Okinawa and come across some really good Macross swag at times(final scored my 1st 1/48 here-a CF!); you need anything, give a holler!

Vespaeda[HM2 Allen, 8506 USN]

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am thinking about adding aircraft sounds too. After all, I will have a flight deck. I'm pulling down English version of bridge chatter and commands. I just have to figure out what order and track to place them on. I've also gotten samples of real sounds for background.

Thanks Vespaeda, I appreciate the offer and "there's no school like the old school!" My wife and I would love to go to Japan. It would be expensive though. I'd be blowing money on my hobbies and she'd be blowing it on Mikasa crystal! - MT

Edited by MechTech

Thank you Rogue Trooper and Garou! The more I build this the more I'm thinking of prepping it for show. For instance, do I use just sound chips and tiny speakers for sound IN the ship, or do I put a stereo system in the stand of the ship and get GREAT sound (which will require AC voltage)?!

Still working on school. After this month it's back to the Daedalus! - MT

It would be cool if you could do both, MT. If not, then I think the option that gives you "GREAT" sound would be best. As long as you could coordinate the flashing lights with certain sounds, I think the presentation would be awesome! And oh yeah, good luck with your schooling & make us proud!

Should I prepare a 1/200 bottle of champagne for the launch ceremony??

Better to prepare a 200/1 bottle of champagne... :lol:

In all seriousness, I really wanna see that thing in person. It's an engineering masterpiece.

Thanks guys and I'm going for both after all. The warning lights will correspond to the warning alarm. I found a great pair of old Yamaha computer speakers that I'm using an old Sony portable speaker amp with. 4.5 volts of portable fun with acceptable clarity. Not the awesome bass I hoped for from the Monster Guns, but close enough. Now I just need time to build it all!

Nothing built, but when I'm taking a break, this is what I've captured and cleaned up so far:

Macross_Original_Alarm.wav

MacrossAlarm_Type_II.wav I don't which alarm was for what - still researching that one.

Multi_fired_rounds.wav After the door goes down... Can you hear the casings drop?

I've got other bits, but they still need cleaning up and combing. Feel free to spruce up your desktop sounds!

That's it for now! By the way, I couldn't take down the big file I accidentally loaded. - MT

Macross_Original_Alarm_Looped.wav

Edited by MechTech

I think that that one is from the inside of Britai's Nuptiet Vergnitz during the Meltran infiltration in DYRL.... Or was it the klaxxon that sounded just before the SDF-1 was attacked while on station at the PC city?

second one I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_UuCvuDUgc...feature=related

man i love the details on this thing..... just went back to see where this has been since i last checked on it maybe a year ago and i'm speechless with all the little engineering you put into this with the opening hatch and moving ramp and working lights....

this has to be one of the greatest customs ever built on MW