6 Foot Long Daedalus Scratch Build Up

MechTech

I'm still at work. I just got the servos in last week and I'm reworking the ramp. Both servos have been heavily modified like he first. I'll post pictures soon! - MT

UPDATE 6 APRIL 08

Alright, first some updates, second an apology for my camera battery dying! I got two good shots. The first one is a motor controller (about two hours to build one night). I keep taking the leads from a battery pack and holding them up to completed assemblies and motors for testing. The problem is the wires keep breaking or I run out of hands to hold the whole thing together! One switch turns it on (LE blinking LED reminds me to turn it off, one switch temporarily engages power, and the one on the end switches polarity (forward/reverse). No more broken wires and I can observe the working of the whole thing better.post-2518-1207508712_thumb.jpg

Next I rebuilt two more servos like these: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...8403&st=500 (middle of page, 11 Nov update). It is a small gearcase with an N-20 motor (coins for comparison) stuck in place of the motor (also N-20 size) into the servo. This slows it down and increases the torque significantly. Here's a picture for comparison. The stock unit has a 2.5mm output shaft on it. The modified unit has a machined down 1mm shaft for the gear popped of the servo motor to fit into. The gearcase corners are also filed to contour the motor so it fits snug into the servo. Tops are soldered back together.post-2518-1207509033_thumb.jpg

I finished the servos, the new ramp sections (yes, new) and the brass parts that will make it all go. The cool part is that I now have three identical servos driving the ramp - all segments will fold up at the same rate. Hopefully my next post will have video! - MT

UPDATE 6 APRIL 08

Alright, first some updates, second an apology for my camera battery dying! I got two good shots. The first one is a motor controller (about two hours to build one night). I keep taking the leads from a battery pack and holding them up to completed assemblies and motors for testing. The problem is the wires keep breaking or I run out of hands to hold the whole thing together! One switch turns it on (LE blinking LED reminds me to turn it off, one switch temporarily engages power, and the one on the end switches polarity (forward/reverse). No more broken wires and I can observe the working of the whole thing better.post-2518-1207508712_thumb.jpg

Next I rebuilt two more servos like these: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...8403&st=500 (middle of page, 11 Nov update). It is a small gearcase with an N-20 motor (coins for comparison) stuck in place of the motor (also N-20 size) into the servo. This slows it down and increases the torque significantly. Here's a picture for comparison. The stock unit has a 2.5mm output shaft on it. The modified unit has a machined down 1mm shaft for the gear popped of the servo motor to fit into. The gearcase corners are also filed to contour the motor so it fits snug into the servo. Tops are soldered back together.post-2518-1207509033_thumb.jpg

I finished the servos, the new ramp sections (yes, new) and the brass parts that will make it all go. The cool part is that I now have three identical servos driving the ramp - all segments will fold up at the same rate. Hopefully my next post will have video! - MT

Holy smokes! I used to build R/C cars (1/10 scale buggies to be exact) and I have never seen servos that small! Insane! I've been out of it since 1994 and I imagine that technology has gotten a lot better, but that is still impressive. Looking forward to seeing this completed project.

Holy smokes! I used to build R/C cars (1/10 scale buggies to be exact) and I have never seen servos that small! Insane! I've been out of it since 1994 and I imagine that technology has gotten a lot better, but that is still impressive. Looking forward to seeing this completed project.

LOL and then some I stopped competing in 2000 and my stuff is antique now compared to the latest, back in 2000 it was cutting edge sponsored handouts.

I used to be an assistant manager in a hobby shop, sell the stuff all day, blow half my paycheck there, and go home and build the same stuff! I can't believe how fast stuff is changing! Brushless motors, LiPo batteries - we used to dream about having that kind of stuff! The servos aren't really that small. There's much smaller around! The thinness and metal gears are what I needed...case in point:

UPDATE 13 APRIL 08

ALL of the folding mechanisms are done! It works great! I'm not posting video until I skin the ramp and finish the end folding part - just in case :ph34r:.

Here's some photos. post-2518-1208092526_thumb.jpg post-2518-1208092556_thumb.jpg post-2518-1208092784_thumb.jpgI had to redo the frame to strengthen it. The servos are directly driving the ramp - I didn't want to do it this way. There's no room for a mechanical safety device, but I'll put some micro switches in to stop the ramp at the start and stop points. If it hangs up, there's no mechanical protection like on the end segment. But it works great! The servos are dual bearing so no sweat off there bushinged backs. Everything come apart including the servos from the assembly - just in case. The connectors on the servos will be covered over so no one will see them.

Next came the wiring. It has to look real where exposed and be durable. The answer; use conduit (2mm micro styrene tube), cable armor springs and paper thin wires.post-2518-1208092926_thumb.jpg All the light colored runs are wired electrical items.The lighting cables are wound up and masking taped to the frame until skinning the surface begins.post-2518-1208093003_thumb.jpg Flex springs from an old Gundam kit, now really carrying electrical cables! One got over stretched :angry:. post-2518-1208093082_thumb.jpg You can see the thin wire ribbon, armored springs and conduit. Yes, the best way to lay out the lighting wires was to use micro styrene tube and make my own "junction boxes" out of styrene squares (hole drilled in the middle and filled with colored 5 min epoxy). Folded up and in the stowed position (it will do this under power now)post-2518-1208093283_thumb.jpg And the big deal with keeping it thin? Making the anime magic come to life! At the thickest point, it's 13mm thick. A real colossal giant like this would probably be very different!post-2518-1208093394_thumb.jpg

That's it for this time. Next comes the serrated end. I have to make it fold 180 degrees! After that, it's time to skin, wire it up and finish it off! - MT

P.S. Sorry about the photo color, my camera hates flourescent lighting.

Edited by MechTech

I used to be an assistant manager in a hobby shop, sell the stuff all day, blow half my paycheck there, and go home and build the same stuff!

LOL me too. I can remember blowing my weeks wages on one kit with my sponsors+staff discount it was cheap but I got the price back up by buying all the hop up parts for that car.

Ahh those were the days.

Great progress though unlike my project cant belive we have both been at so long now.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm humbled.

UPDATE 27 APR 08 WITH MOVIES

One warning, we're limited to 500MB uploads so the movies are SHORT. I took movies in 5 second intervals. This is only the ramp in ATTACK MODE, not ASSAULT MODE (landing). The noise was amplified by the camera being on the table too, otherwise the servos are really quiet. Note the flap on the joint to allow room for opening up, it fits smooth and flush when the ramp is opened. These are just teasers until I finish skinning the ramp and painting it. You can't see all the panel lines yet in the photos until a good wash goes down.

Ramp_Up.MPGRamp_Up_II.MPGRamp_Stowed_Back.MPG Going up...

Ramp_Down.MPG Ramp_Locked_Down.MPG Going down...

post-2518-1209303488_thumb.jpg post-2518-1209303408_thumb.jpg post-2518-1209303384_thumb.jpg post-2518-1209303289_thumb.jpg

More photos of the ramp folded with all mechanical parts. All joints and even the tip "serrated edge" move automatically. That's it for now. Time to skin the rest of it and get the far end edges covered with the facade. - MT

P.S. Something's up with the post and things are slightly out of order. - MT

Edited by MechTech

UPDATE 4 MAY 08

So no one thought I just sat on my butt this weekend (OK, a lot at my workbench), here's some updates. I'm still paneling and engraving the ramp. There is still A LOT of work to do so what you see is all still very rough work. The pictures are kinda dark so the panels lines show up.

post-2518-1209901761_thumb.jpg Last week's pictures didn't show the engraved panel lines.

post-2518-1209901743_thumb.jpg Mid section (this week's work).

post-2518-1209901752_thumb.jpg Ramp sides so far...

post-2518-1209901729_thumb.jpg The mysterious humps; I put side and front lights on them (nothing worse than tripping down a GIANT ramp in the dark).

post-2518-1209901780_thumb.jpg The rest of the frame needing to be "clothed." The little bits and light connection are next after some surface clean up. That's it for now... - MT

It's like watching set construction photos of a live action movie as the production unfolds!

I just made a pun. :lol: But I meant it... the progress is truly exciting.

Edited by ce25254

Thanks CE - very punny!

I'm going to try! I keep having setbacks like the connector on my ramp breaking (who knew the wires would break in the spring tube and the connector). The good news is the ramp is all skinned and I just have to do the end sides and some flashing LED's for warning (nothing that big would move without a warning light/horn). Pictures hopefully coming soon...

Thanks CE - very punny!

I'm going to try! I keep having setbacks like the connector on my ramp breaking (who knew the wires would break in the spring tube and the connector). The good news is the ramp is all skinned and I just have to do the end sides and some flashing LED's for warning (nothing that big would move without a warning light/horn). Pictures hopefully coming soon...

Can't even trust the contractors.

They're probably the same guys who were hired to anchor the anti-grav motors on the Macross - "Yep, got 'em anchored down good. It's Miller Time!"

j/k MT, great work as always :lol:

LOL

Friday afternoon jobs :):lol:

Friday afternoon...as a matter of fact...

Thanks MilSpex!

Tiny Update. I skinned and engraved the end ramp. Note the transparency. The first two segments are .020" plastic sheets; the end is .010 to keep it light. It was fun engraving that! Not too much, not too little.post-2518-1211222970_thumb.jpg

The rest of the week I spent installing a new stereo in my shop (after returning the first). Gotta have tunes man! That's it for now. - MT

UPDATE 25 MAY 08

I FINALLY finished constructing the ramp component. It just needs to have the wiring harness put back on. I didn't bother with an overall top view because all the panels look the same on top.

post-2518-1211723885_thumb.jpg The sides (mosly complete).

post-2518-1211723900_thumb.jpg Side View of the folded ramp.

post-2518-1211723912_thumb.jpg 3/4 view showing it folded with top details (and some putty on the seems).

Next job is just to wire it all in. - MT

Thanks guys for the compliments! Yes, it did take a long time!

UPDATE 1 June 08

I wasn't going to detail the underside and I thought, "well, I've come this far..." Here's some photos:

post-2518-1212333515_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1212333524_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1212333533_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1212333543_thumb.jpg

Not shown are the two micro switches underneath to cut power to the motors when the ramp folds open or closes. Without them the servos could crush the whole thing when opening or closing (that's bad!). The engraving doesn't show up well, but it's there, ALL over the place! I'm tired of engraving for a while! Enjoy the photos. - MT

So presumably this beautiful ramp will be protected by a strong top and bottom hull that can perform the Daedalus Attack on some other R/C ship, right? What is the material you plan to use for the hull plating? (^_^) I can't wait to see this slice right through somebody's battleship.

Yep. If you look WAYYyyy backin this thread you ight be able to see the lower hull. It might slice through a balsa hull, any more than that I'd be afraid to scratch the new paint on my ship WHEN it's ready! B))

I won't be making any updates until I can source some mini, momentary DPDT rocker switches for the controlls. I'll need quite a few. There's the ramp in-out, ramp fold-unfold - - two sections, main hatch, two internal cranes (4 total switches), and the interior doors. - MT

• 1 month later...

UPDATE 10 JULY 2008

With the ramp (and Sports Den - http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...&start=940) out of the way, it's back to work on the Daedalus! Here's the progress pictures on the main ramp.

post-2518-1215723691_thumb.jpg post-2518-1215723707_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1215723730_thumb.jpg[attach

ment=55579:Bow_Hatch_Side.JPG]post-2518-1215723778_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1215723788_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1215723803_thumb.jpg Screw drive actuator from an old floppy drive - great mechanical safety on it.

The angles are made from 1/8" fiberglass sheet, similar to high strength circuit boards. Made an indestructible "Clod Buster" chassis from it once (carbon fiber was just coming of age). That's it for now. - MT

post-2518-1215723747_thumb.jpg