6 Foot Long Daedalus Scratch Build Up

MechTech

Love the color... it's just like on the TV!

Let me know what you think of the Montana Gold. I tried it before and it was a bit thick for me. But I've read reviews were it says you really got to beat the can's bottom upside down to mix it. I love the color selection but the texture really turned me off. If you can make it ay down thin, I might try it.

Good luck with the storm. You might be able to use the Daedalus as your Noah's Ark!

Thanks guys! The spray paint instructions say to shake for three minutes which is three times the average. Thanks for your advice EXO, I'll shake the snot out of it for three minutes upside down! I'll test it and if it's thick, I'll try warming it up in some water. I looked all over and at every brand of paint, and this is the closest match I could find color wise. I'll post my paint review when I get to test it out! - MT

Yes. Please do a proper review of the paint on plastic. All I can find are kids using it for tagging and the language is unbearable. "Yo yo listen up yo... I's gots me some o these dopass sprays from Montana... I had no idea Montana was in Germany because mah cousin is from Montana and he like speaks english yo! So when I get the blue, it sprays blue and its dope, you know what I mean?. And when I get the green, the green comes out and it's dope. So my review for these dopass Montana sprays is that it's pretty dope you know?" Yeah, it's meant for tagging. But I wanna know what modellers think of the paint.

Yes. Please do a proper review of the paint on plastic. All I can find are kids using it for tagging and the language is unbearable. "Yo yo listen up yo... I's gots me some o these dopass sprays from Montana... I had no idea Montana was in Germany because mah cousin is from Montana and he like speaks english yo! So when I get the blue, it sprays blue and its dope, you know what I mean?. And when I get the green, the green comes out and it's dope. So my review for these dopass Montana sprays is that it's pretty dope you know?" Yeah, it's meant for tagging. But I wanna know what modellers think of the paint.

I just wee wee'd a lil. The guys here in the office are looking at me weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Veteran's Day everyone (observed in the US)! Thank you to all those serving or who have served our nation. Most people won't understand all of what you go through, but know it's appreciated!

I've been watching the weather and TODAY was the day to repaint the Daedalus in the proper colors. It topped out at 70 with minimal humidity. I apologize in advance for the lack of photos, but as I finished tearing off the masking tape and getting the parts shoved in my closet, I didn't have a lot of time. 1. Dinner was almost ready :) and I wasn't going to make my family wait on me. 2. I needed to get the several square feet of curing spray paint shoved in the closet so it wouldn't off-gas in the house and stink it up (even though scent is minimal).

I got all of the hull parts painted and this time even the ramp (in gray)! More photos of everything to come later on in a few days when I can open up the closet without a waft of stinky paint blowing up the living room. The photo from my closet is WAAAY to dark, but you can see that the bridge is now painted.

SO, how did the paint come out? The Montana paint color was spot on to the cap color (check out the photo). Montana paints are origianlly designed for graphiti art and VERY fast curing, not to mention STRONG! I oversprayed one area and was sanding forever to get it off. Still, the color was not affected by it! The pigment is great and as I said, durable! The smell coming out from the cans is not strong at all, which is kinda bad because it's still a hazardous organic compound.

The finish unfortuneatly is NOT smooth and more akin to textured paints (you can see it in the photo). I thought the nozzle was sputtering, but it is the pigment as it comes out. In fact, the nozzle is EASY to depress and unlike my last coat of paint on my baby, my thumb is not killing me! The paint DOES NOT scratch easily. Use it where you don't need a fine finish and something that will take abuse like armor models or a diorama.

Of course, I got it all over my fingers. It cleaned up with one soap and water wash along with a little scouring pad action - half of what I'm used to doing to include some thinner. It also DOES NOT NEED PRIMER! It goes on that thick and covered every flaw the last paint left to include my re-glue jobs where parts were accidentally stepped on. My model is huge so I can get away with the texture.

For EXO: Yo man, I was straight up trippin when I saw this gorgeous blue come outa da can! I was like, "Daedalus Blue man-foshizzle!" I got four cans and I got two more left for my 1:350 honey---if I ever make her! This paint is da bomb yo - you gots to gets you some homey!

So anyhow, to summarize, my baby is almost TOTALLY done, more photos coming soon, the paint is awesome, but chunky out of the can (sticks better than Rustoleum Plastic). - MT

post-2518-0-45209300-1352764569_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-35669700-1352764587_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-48760100-1352764606_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-28522700-1352764617_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-91706900-1352764632_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

Looks great MT! Looking forward to the beauty shots...

So, is the texture akin to the "shark skin" texture of the yamato 1/48's? I'm curious to see how the details hold up.

It's exciting to see this bad boy painted up!

Thanks guys! I have not seen the 1/48th Yamatos so I'm not familiar. I can tell you its like the finer versions of Krylon's "Make it Stone" paints. It varies from fine to random splats. My paint was at 70 degrees and so was the enviroment/model when painting. I would say it does have a shark skin like texture (that I DO know about).

One note I forgot to mention, I did have to paint rather close. While the weather was a Godsend for this time of year, the breeze got occasionaly brisk so I had to get closer. It didn't seem to matter though.

Another bonus I forgot, this stuff does not run! I even accidently oversprayed twice in some areas and I could see the thickness, but it leveled out. - MT

Word to your D to da A to da Aydalus! yo! Straight up Mad props!

I recently sent for a sampler of some Liquitex Paint. I think they're trying to mimick the tagger spray paint that Montana makes but it's expensive as heck. I tried it out and it had a similar texture to the Montana paint I used. The color selection is somewhat nice though. Here's a couple of pics with some comparison to Tamiya spray cans... Tamiya is still the best but more expensive per mL.

post-151-0-35597500-1352858327_thumb.png post-151-0-26316100-1352858331_thumb.jpg post-151-0-36444500-1352858334_thumb.png

But from the picture it looks like your spray was a lot smoother than this.

Thanks EXO! You're right about the finish. I double checked and the Montana paints are a finer in fininsh. I think it's also about what point in time you use the can. Brand new, the paint was finer and cured finer. Later on the paint seemed to spatter a bit more depite constantly keeping it shaken.

Your photo shows a pronounced shark skin finish, very rough and pointed. All the Montana splats were more rounded making it less pronounced.

The Tamiya paints are worth it. I finished my 1/100 Monster with it because their color was the closest green I could find. The finish came out great and I needed two or three cans! -MT

Thanks Kyekye! I still have some external details and the interior. It's been too cold lately, but I'm going to try and do the interior in bits. More photos to come then! I did get most of the ramp done last week though. - MT

congratulations mr. mechtech, I spent four hours to see me and read me all your great work, not the 'I had ever seen, and I apologize for that ... you did a unique job and the fact that you're taking years to realize I'm in right compensation. I'll stay tuned to see the finished work, really compliments from 'Italy;)

• 3 months later...

Wow, don't know how I missed the paint up of this, it's looking great, that Mt. Fugi Montana is a great macross color, i used it on the 1/48 regult. It would not apply to something as big as this, but for the Montana it works better on smaller models if you get the ultra fine tips, with a little playing around with spray distance etc you can get it to work closer to an airbrush color, and compared to the cost of Tamiya cans the $10 or so for a can is a bargain.

Looking forward to the finish.....

Thanks! I never thought the finer tips would make a difference since I thought it was the paint itself that made the "clupiness." I'm gonna have to give it a try! - MT

• 2 months later...

Thanks Gakken! The weather has been warmer, but now its the humidity. The white trim is done and now the ramp too. I'll have to post some pics.

It's taking up HALF my storage closet. I'm seriously thinking of finishing it and selling it. I hate too, but it is too big. My current house (and wife's decorating) don't give me much room. I have the destroids too - just not built up! - MT

• 4 months later...

UPDATE 20 OCTOBER 2013
[X] - Construction
[X] - Wiring
[ / ] - Paint

Small Update. The humidity is FINALLY gone and things are THANKFULLY cooling down. Making the masks for each wall light was a task in itself! Here's some photos and a test of the "Blue Light" district. :)

Got the ramp painted and tried to replicate the heavy wear of millions of tons of destroids rubbing up the non-skid tape.

The "foot" under the ramp totally flexes side to side and is weighted so it always lands, well, on it's foot instead of crooked.

I managed to get one coat of paint on the interior, the can clogged, I went to the store to get more, and when I walked out of the store, it was raining! Thankfully the paint did not affect what was painted. No painted interior photos yet. Hopefully I'll finish it SOON! - MT

post-2518-0-52458500-1382303665_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-40655800-1382303674_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-86599100-1382303684_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-49021500-1382303693_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-77215800-1382304606_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-99694600-1382304634_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-89732600-1382304679_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-33118100-1382304710_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

• 2 weeks later...

That is one awesome build. But, after all the hardships, finding, buying and collecting loads of 1/200 scale destroids, why would you sell it? Yes, space is an issue (I have that too) but I'm sure you could find a spot for it.

I'm sure that aside from all the years spent building it, you cannot honestly count the cost of materials used for it and recoup the costs. I would just think long and hard before deciding to sell it.

Thank you guys for all the compliments!!! Two main reasons for selling my "baby." First off, yes, it's HUGE and takes up OVER six feet. I can't find a place in my current house to display it. Second, 1/200th scale sucks to find common models in - and I've researched them all! I've found I can find nearly anything I want to include armor in 1/350th, it takes up less than half the space, and the cost is way better. This way I can keep everything the same scale (even Godzilla ;) ).No, I won't get back nearly what time and money I sunk into this venture, but I learned a lot and had a lot of fun! I'm hoping to finish it withing a couple of weeks if my job allows.

If you're thinking, "there's not much in 1/350th scale for Macross stuff." There will be. I've already marketed the one kit, three more are done for casting and I've already sneaked out the Monster in progress. So now the scratchbuilding will be focused on Macross stuff instead of everything else I couldn't find.

THE GOOD NEWS: There WILL be another Daedalus (1/350th), maybe even in kit or kit conversion form to share. I'm even throwing book ends around as an idea for those Daedlaus lovers that would like to "Daedalus Attack" their books! Thanks for checking in everyone! - MT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys! Just a short update with what photos I've taken so far. Here's the bow section hanger bay with the upper level lighting wired in and some decal work. The ceiling crane is also finally installed. Some of the assemblies here have been laying around in a box waiting to be installed for years! I hope to have a REAL update in the next week or so. - MT

post-2518-0-25343000-1386736480_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-46297500-1386736489_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-10607000-1386736496_thumb.jpg