The Mworld Poker Tourny

OK, so a couple of us decided to throw a poker tournament the day before the actual Macrossworld Con. As a way to entertain the people that come from different parts of the country and since the local people get together and play anyway. There will only be 30 spots open and I have a few people that are already asked for reservations. I'll post the people that expressed interest in being part of it, but you have to contact me for instructions to save your seat. When you PM me I will give you complete info. I wanted to keep the prizes a secret but it's already been revealed that a 1/48 GBP armor is one of them. But I can tell you this... that's not THE top prize.

Also, the friday before the tounament, we will have a really cheap all day cash game. Just to teach people that don't know how to play, but decided to join the tournament. People that didn't get in the tournament can join if they want. Or if you just want to sit in and have fun then, by all means, come down and play.

Just remember that's the Saturday, July 1st

Here's the list of interested players:

1. EXO*

2. Solscud*

3. snip312*

4. bigkid24*

5. Erternal D*

6. bobepat*

7. kiririth*

8. ominous*

9. hirohawa*

10. phatslappy*

11. JasonC*

12. nightmareB4Macross*

13. Gabe Q*

14. Sheri*

15. BigBen*

16. Bruinvalk*

17. spyderx23*

18. Dave*

19. SILVERDRAGON

20. Jasonc's friend

21. valkyrie312*

*place locked

Edited by >EXO<

We're looking at $40 to $50 buy in. Proceeds will go to the prizes, food, service and maybe for special guests for the game and MWCon

recalculated the buy in. $30 is way too little to throw something like this.

Edited by >EXO<

well at 50, it we should definitely have Mari stop by again. That only cost us like 20 bucks each, and that included food and drinks!

well at 50, it we should definitely have Mari stop by again. That only cost us like 20 bucks each, and that included food and drinks!

382437[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking of. If we do it at $30 it would only pay for the prizes for the tournament and the food for both days, which I can deal with. I'm hoping people that are interested can discuss it since it's still far away. I didn't expect the GBP and the VF-0 to be at the price point they are at.

Does this mean the VF-0 is the first prize???

382437[/snapback]

That\'s what I was thinking of. If we do it at $30 it would only pay for the prizes for the tournament and the food for both days, which I can deal with. I\'m hoping people that are interested can discuss it since it\'s still far away. I didn\'t expect the GBP and the VF-0 to be at the price point they are at.

382512[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking of. If we do it at $30 it would only pay for the prizes for the tournament and the food for both days, which I can deal with.  I'm hoping people that are interested can discuss it since it's still far away.  I didn't expect the GBP and the VF-0 to be at the price point they are at.

That VF-0.

I think you should tell the people what the prizes will be...that might stir more interest.

and if you're firm on your other ideas, then you shouldd state those too and make a condition for it like only if we get 30 players are we going to have....

Edited by Eternal_D

I think you should tell the people what the prizes will be...that might stir more interest.

and if you're firm on your other ideas, then you shouldd state those too and make a condition for it like only if we get 30 players are we going to have....

382623[/snapback]

Anyone that wants full details can contact me, as they already have. I dont want to put anything down that isn't solid yet. If I'm gonna announce a prize I want it to be firmly in my hands. And I'm not going to go any lower than $30 for a chance of a toys that are worth a lot more and usually end up appreciating in prize. I dont want people to play a $20 for crappy toys that will end up with no value.

The game isn't just for us to gamble and win prizes, most of it is to ease the burden of cost for the Con itself. Last year a lot of people complained about having to pay for both CD(Mari Iijima) and food. This way we can pay for the food and have people not have to pay to get in the Con and if there is any money left we can pay for Mari Iijima (or other guests). As of now, the $30 buy ins will only pay for the prizes and the food. If people think $40 or $50 is fair then I'd like to up it, so we can allow for more things for the Con.

People always say they would donate to the site or the community, well here's a chance, and a choice, for anyone that's coming to L.A. anyway. And the added bonus of it being a lot of fun.

We have these poker games weekly and it's never been NOT fun. People always end up staying longer than they have to.

Edited by >EXO<

I think it is a great way to meet members prior to holding the Con (no pun intended). $30.00 buy in is a nice, plus you have a great incentive, winning a Yamato GBP. How cool is that. Yeah some people have them already. But if you win the item and want to sell it, I\'m sure there would be someone willing to buy it. Think of it as an investment. You win the item at $30.00, then sell it or trade it. Even if you were to sell it at $60.00, you still made a $30.00 profit.

So what about the people that are coming to the Con alone and not to any of the poker events???

does that mean that all the poker players are essentially paying for everyone to come to the con????

if the increase in buy-ins were strictly supposed to fund the administration of the con... then i think there should be a seperate cost that everyone should pay... even if it's minimal.... the $30 buy-in should cover strictly the cost of prizes, and hired help, and drinks for the Poker Tourney....

of course, excess funds should go to providing food and stuff for the actual con date, BUT it would decrease the cost for everyone attending that didn't play in the tourney....

Basically... i dont' wanna end up having 30 of us paying $50 to fund the con for the extra 10-20 people that come the day of (assuming there's 40-50 that go to the con).... doesn't seem completely right....

So what about the people that are coming to the Con alone and not to any of the poker events???

does that mean that all the poker players are essentially paying for everyone to come to the con????

if the increase in buy-ins were strictly supposed to fund the administration of the con... then i think there should be a seperate cost that everyone should pay... even if it\\\'s minimal.... the $30 buy-in should cover strictly the cost of prizes, and hired help, and drinks for the Poker Tourney....

of course, excess funds should go to providing food and stuff for the actual con date, BUT it would decrease the cost for everyone attending that didn\\\'t play in the tourney....

Basically... i dont\\\' wanna end up having 30 of us paying $50 to fund the con for the extra 10-20 people that come the day of (assuming there\\\'s 40-50 that go to the con).... doesn\\\'t seem completely right....

382706[/snapback]

I think there should be a minimal cover charge for all guests. Maybe $10.00.

The purpose of the $30.00 buy is not for the Tourney alone, or am I wrong? Wasn\\\'t the Tourney meant to kick off the Con? Then the remaining proceeds were in part for the Tourney and then the Con itself. But you also have to see it this way, the pople who want to buy-in are those who want a chance to win a prize (and gloating rights). So basically it\\\'s a lottery with a twist.

The minimal charge would not apply to the Tourney players of the previous night. There would have to be a sign-in sheet for those who participate. The coordinator of the event can hold onto this list and vouch for those on the list as being exempt of the cover charge for the Con.

Your actual buy-in would then be $20.00 for the tournament and you would automatically be allowed to enter in the Con the next day with your additonal $10.00 from the proposed $30.00 buy-in. There would be no splitting of the buy-in, you want to play but not attend the Con, your buy-in is still $30.00.

I think this is a fair and justifiable to have all those who participated to not actually pay but contribute something for all the hardwork to make this happen. The left over funds can be sent to either, Shawn, Graham, or set up in a fund for next year\\\'s soiree.

Just a thought.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

best way to figure out costs of everything is to work backwards...how many ppl was at last year's con, how much was spent on food, how much are the prize costs total, how much would it cost for mari to come again?

I for one dont' really care much about "special guests" that require payment from us. I didn't get to choose whether or not to attend the con last year, but if I had to pay $20...I probably would have stayed home. If a yamato rep or egan loo decide to show up and talk our ears off about macross for the heck of it, great! if not, no big deal, there should be plenty of other things to do.

if the increase in buy-ins were strictly supposed to fund the administration of the con... then i think there should be a seperate cost that everyone should pay... even if it\\\'s minimal.... the $30 buy-in should cover strictly the cost of prizes, and hired help, and drinks for the Poker Tourney....

of course, excess funds should go to providing food and stuff for the actual con date, BUT it would decrease the cost for everyone attending that didn\\\'t play in the tourney....

Basically... i dont\\\' wanna end up having 30 of us paying $50 to fund the con for the extra 10-20 people that come the day of (assuming there\\\'s 40-50 that go to the con).... doesn\\\'t seem completely right....

382706[/snapback]

I think there should be a minimal cover charge for all guests. Maybe $10.00.

The purpose of the $30.00 buy is not for the Tourney alone, or am I wrong? Wasn\\\'t the Tourney meant to kick off the Con? Then the remaining proceeds were in part for the Tourney and then the Con itself. But you also have to see it this way, the pople who want to buy-in are those who want a chance to win a prize (and gloating rights). So basically it\\\'s a lottery with a twist.

The minimal charge would not apply to the Tourney players of the previous night. There would have to be a sign-in sheet for those who participate. The coordinator of the event can hold onto this list and vouch for those on the list as being exempt of the cover charge for the Con.

Your actual buy-in would then be $20.00 for the tournament and you would automatically be allowed to enter in the Con the next day with your additonal $10.00 from the proposed $30.00 buy-in. There would be no splitting of the buy-in, you want to play but not attend the Con, your buy-in is still $30.00.

I think this is a fair and justifiable to have all those who participated to not actually pay but contribute something for all the hardwork to make this happen. The left over funds can be sent to either, Shawn, Graham, or set up in a fund for next year\\\'s soiree.

Just a thought.

382713[/snapback]

Nope, EXO doesn't want to do that, I talked with him about it already, except I suggested $3 heheh.

Good idea D.

If you reverse engineer the costs then maybe you could come up with something tangible that would please the majority of the masses. But who has time to reconfigure the previous attendance records, food costs, misc, etc.?

I think this is a fair buy-in? Only if this can be held at a place where everyone is comfortable and can have a good time.

I think you guys are missing the point of the poker tournament. It's meant to be a fundraiser to support the Con itself. The Con use to be free until last year we had a guest. A lot of people complained that they wanted to attend the Con but weren't really interested in buying the CD. Now I devised a way to ease the burden on the attendees by allowing them to have food for free. If we do have a guest then the cost would be nominal instead of people paying entrance PLUS food. There will be no special privileges for people that paid to play in the poker game as far as the con itself. When you pay for game, you're already paying for your night to play poker, food and drinks for that night and at the Con, plus a chance to win some great prizes. Why do you people would believe we would owe you any more than that?

As of now the $30 buy in will only pay for the prizes and the food for both days. That's all it can cover. I'm asking if people would like to up it, so we can get some extra perks. if not then we'll stick to that price. There's not going to be any extra money for next years con. Anything extra will be used for the Con itself. Whether it be for the guest or any supplies needed.

As far as having an entrance fee for the Con itself, that's up to Solscud, that's his baby!

And if you guys really want to know what the prizes will be I'll go ahead and reveal it, tentatively! I wanted to reveal it during the game but whatever...:

first place: 1/48 VF-1J and GBP armor Bundle (already pre-ordered)

second place: 1/60 VF-0 Focker (already pre-ordered)

third place: 1/6 scale Hikaru figure (not available yet, but is scheduled to ship in April)

So do you guys think you can win those with you poker skillz??? B)):D:lol:

Edited by >EXO<

I dont see why people gripe about paying for Mari. Was there anyone who didnt want to talk to her or get her autograph? So what you want to hold a separate section those who pay and those who dont. STOP BEING SO DAMN MISERY. friggin cheapasses. you guys piss me off. You dont want to pay for nice things then dont freaking come.

I dont see why people gripe about paying for Mari. Was there anyone who didnt want to talk to her or get her autograph? So what you want to hold a separate section those who pay and those who dont. STOP BEING SO DAMN MISERY. friggin cheapasses. you guys piss me off. You dont want to pay for nice things then dont freaking come.

382928[/snapback]

if that's your attitude about it, then I don't think you should be running things. I only made a suggestion. if you remembered the SF trip...I paid to get in, but did I care about Mari? not in the least.

I dont' want a separate section...I'm saying don't have her at all. In the beginning, it's been just a bunch of Macross/Robotech fans that come hang out, check out some new stuff and customs, maybe pick up a few random things from the sellers that can make it. yah, I remember one year the food situation was really messed up and some people put in more than they should and got less. I dont' mind if you collect for food money and it's great that EXO wants to make the poker tourney pay for the food on both days, but if you're going to force me to buy a CD/pay entrance fee to go hang out and see some of the customs, then I probably won't go.

That was me that got screwed by the food situation that one year. But the following year was a lot better. Memo BBQ'd the year after and then we got plenty of pizza the year after.

Anyway, let me try to simplify things, the allocation of the buy in money is not the issue here, so let's stop debating that.

There's only 2 questions here, whether or not people want to join and if they are willing to up the buy in or not. Otherwise, nothing else is up for debate. There's plenty of time to decide. I've already got a couple of inquiries and one has signed up since the thread opened. Thanks!

if that's your attitude about it, then I don't think you should be running things.  I only made a suggestion.  if you remembered the SF trip...I paid to get in, but did I care about Mari?  not in the least.

I dont' want a separate section...I'm saying don't have her at all.  In the beginning, it's been just a bunch of Macross/Robotech fans that come hang out, check out some new stuff and customs, maybe pick up a few random things from the sellers that can make it.  yah, I remember one year the food situation was really messed up and some people put in more than they should and got less.  I dont' mind if you collect for food money and it's great that EXO wants to make the poker tourney pay for the food on both days, but if you're going to force me to buy a CD/pay entrance fee to go hang out and see some of the customs, then I probably won't go.

382941[/snapback]

my gripe isnt towards you. Its jsut that people who complain about paying for mari to come but still take advantage of her apperance. such as talk to her, listen to what she has to say and get autographs from her. Is all gonna cost something. buying her CD. Whats the big deal you didnt even go to last years con.

IMO, that was a smart decision on Solscud's side. Mari wanted to sell a certain number of CDs to make her time worth while, Instead of taking a chance Sol decided to cover it with an entrance fee and guaranteed her attendance. Which was pretty awesome. Hopefully she'll return and the poker game can lessen the entrance fee, if there is one this year. if not... FREE FOOD!

I'm fine with a $50 buy-in, but I'd be cool with whatever you fellers decide on.

Also about the Friday night all-cash game:

What's the buy-in?

and

Is it being held in the same place?  (sorry if that's a stupid question :p)

383343[/snapback]

the cash game is I think 1 or 2 dollars to play. I think we do a minimum initial buy-in at $2 for two stacks of chips. all chips, regardless of color, are equal value for the cash game.

if you lose then its jsut $1 for another stack of chips. I think.

I'm fine with a $50 buy-in, but I'd be cool with whatever you fellers decide on.

Also about the Friday night all-cash game:

What's the buy-in?

and

Is it being held in the same place?  (sorry if that's a stupid question :p)

383343[/snapback]

the cash game is I think 1 or 2 dollars to play. I think we do a minimum initial buy-in at $2 for two stacks of chips. all chips, regardless of color, are equal value for the cash game.

if you lose then its jsut $1 for another stack of chips. I think.

383354[/snapback]

Yup, same location... and like Nick said, it's gonna be $1 for 40 chips... cheap! you could walk away with $10... lol.