Colonial Marines Technical Manual

Phyrox

Hey , quick question:

I got this book when it first came out, and was thinking of getting a second copy to take apart to make a scan/poster of the dropship cutaway...until I saw what kind of price it commands nowadays.

So, does anyone know if there are any high quality scans of that cutaway anywhere?

On another note, great little book. Some of the best space combat dynamics I've come across, in addition to all the other cool stuff.

That's it, just a simple request.

Likewise I was glad I picked this book up when I did. I've had about a billion people offer me money for it, but I bought it to read, so I still have it :)

I thought I had a scan of the dropship cutaway, but it would appear that I no longer have it. I'll keep searching.

All I have is the extra material that Chris gave me, they are pages and pictures that didn't make it into the final published book. One of these pictures is the Dropship schematic featured on the cover of the Tech Manual, but note the difference from the interior schematic. The Dropship schematic inside the book is far better and more detailed. Alas, this is all I have :(

http://www3.telus.net/amdaddict/DshipSchematic.jpg

I agree the tech book is fantastic. It's so well researched, well written, and filled with everything you could ever want to know about the technologies and vehicles of the Cameron film. An indispensable asset for the hardcore "Aliens" fan :)

Edited by Mr March

Ah, I never knew the dropship was called the "Cheyenne". Someone knew their helicopters!:

http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/ah56002.jpg

379791[/snapback]

Uh, well if he knew his helicopters it would be the Cheyenne II, so he probably just picked an indian tribe name that sounded cool and didn't know there had alrady been one.

and a big thank you to Mr. March! That should be something to start with at least.

Edited by Phyrox

Uh, well if he knew his helicopters it would be the Cheyenne II, so he probably just picked an indian tribe name that sounded cool and didn't know there had alrady been one.

379812[/snapback]

Then again, considering that the "Cheyenne" we all know and love from Aliens would be in service two centuries after its ancestor, would they really be obligated to add the "II" to its name?

379812[/snapback]

Then again, considering that the "Cheyenne" we all know and love from Aliens would be in service two centuries after its ancestor, would they really be obligated to add the "II" to its name?

379819[/snapback]

Good point.

And Mr. March, let's see what else you have in this "extra material" eh?

a big thank you to Mr. March! That should be something to start with at least.

And Mr. March, let's see what else you have in this "extra material" eh?

379820[/snapback]

No problem. Send me your e-mail in a PM and I can forward the stuff off to ya.

Is the co-pilots side window incorrect on the Aoshima Dropship? The manual diagrams have it shaped differently.

Chris

379933[/snapback]

Yeah, the Aoshima is right here.

The gunner's canopy glass is the same on both sides and looks like this:

post-659-1142288650_thumb.jpg

For aircraft under U.S. and U.K. designation setup it probably would out of respect for it's namesake.

I lost my original and managed to get my second for $50 a couple years ago.  The prices really went up; $90 for a single copy!?

Some website had the whole thing scanned for download.  I wish I still had the link.

379922[/snapback]

It must have gone up just recently. I never owned the book during its original print run, but I obtained a copy online for about $40 just 2 or so years back. Maybe the release of some new products in the last few years raised the price on collectibles. They did re-release the films on DVD recently and of course the Aoshima Dropship just came out. Maybe everyone is just hanging on to their copy :)

For aircraft under U.S. and U.K. designation setup it probably would out of respect for it's namesake.

380051[/snapback]

Hmm, since the original Cheyenne never entered service. The guy actually followed the rules when coming up with the name. Like how the F-15 is called the Eagle and not Eagle 2.

Anytime you want a hard to get book, you should always check abebooks.com and bookfinder.com They might not be as cheap as shopping around, but I have never not found what I am looking for.

And sometimes you can get quite a deal. Some bookseller using abebooks listed all his Five Star Stories overstock by ISBN only, and I managed to get all 20-odd manga for about half price.

There actually is a site online that has the WHOLE manual scanned and downloadable. Makes a nice 33.2mb zip file. The site's in russian. I probably shouldn't post the link, but maybe I can give some clues?

Edited by GreatMoose

Wow, what a fantastic website! Damn, I wish we had something that cool in english. Those russians really know how to make a fansite. There's so much good stuff on that website, including some pictures and lineart I've never seen before. Thanks a bunch GreatMoose!

Guest Bromgrev

Those Russians and their Texhnyeckoe ... ^_^

Thanks a bunch, Great Moose! For the link, and the chance to exercise the old grey cells again. You don't need to be a Mensan to figure it out (well, maybe you do, I wouldn't know).