The "other" Monster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Well technical speaking Prometheum is right you know. A rail gun or Gauss Rifle fires a slug of Nickel ferrous metal (the bullet) through magnetic induction at a very high velocity. The damag comes from the impact instead of an explosion. The advantage is it range and generates almost no heat. Also in case your ammo gets hit it doesn't explode.

Actually, an electromagnetic railgun creates a MASSIVE amount of heat. The slug is literally arc-welded, broken free, re-arc-welded the entire length of the rails. The rails are usually only good for a couple of shots before they're destroyed. It's the limiting factor in railgun technology.

CBT is completely wrong with its interpretation (1 heat, pfft).

AFAIK, the 40cm guns on the Monster are 16" battleship guns.

Great work on the build up, Brian.

CBT is completely wrong with its interpretation (1 heat, pfft).

408280[/snapback]

I think the last time I read anything about CBT gauss rifles, they weren't railguns at all, they 'worked' on the principle of a series of high-tesla toroid electromagnets with activation timed by huge capacitors...

...although from what little I remember from secondary-school physics, the power required to accelerate a high-mass slug in such a manner over such a short distance would probably heat the thing up a fair bit more than a machine-gun anyway. ;-)

I think the last time I read anything about CBT gauss rifles, they weren't railguns at all, they 'worked' on the principle of a series of high-tesla toroid electromagnets with activation timed by huge capacitors...

...although from what little I remember from secondary-school physics, the power required to accelerate a high-mass slug in such a manner over such a short distance would probably heat the thing up a fair bit more than a machine-gun anyway. ;-)

You just described a coilgun, another implementation of (slug firing) electromagnetic weaponry.

(painfully resisting urge to pimp my own giant fighting robot game over CBT...)