Japanese Engrish

areaseven

Uhh, what's a "buttroide"...?

330990[/snapback]

its kinda like a hemroid (sp?) if i recall. I still like the Varklie myself, sheesh that entire pic is in engrish :p

Edited by zeo-mare

I wonder why hasn't anybody post this, it's on every package coming from HLJ!!

332937[/snapback]

I don't see anything remotely Engrish on it. And besides, the stamping varies on the countries they're sent to.

332944[/snapback]

It says "Japon" on the stamp

Ummm, that how you write Japan in French. The writing on that label other than Japanse is French, so everything has to match up. Nothing unusual on that label. :huh:

333184[/snapback]

So why they write French on postal stamp in Japan?

Ummm, that how you write Japan in French. The writing on that label other than Japanse is French, so everything has to match up. Nothing unusual on that label. :huh:

333184[/snapback]

So why they write French on postal stamp in Japan?

333299[/snapback]

Its a historical thing. I can't remember exactly what, but possibly some international convention like the one that settled on GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). In the UK, when you send something by airmail, you get a little sticker with "par avion" on it. Quite possibly the only example of the British adopting something French you will ever find... ;)

Its a historical thing. I can't remember exactly what, but possibly some international convention like the one that settled on GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

Up until WWII, French was a diplomatic language and remains a widely spoken language in many parts of the world. Plus, the Universal Postal Union (UPU) was formed in 1874 to coordinate the passage of international mail from country to country. French was picked as the official language of the Union, so it's a good chance that that is why international labels must contain French.

That one's probably not true Engrish, just to an English speaker who may not recognize it as a place name it sounds hilarious. And it is.

Edited by Pat Payne

Didn't they have some of those in teh Series premier of Futurama?  ;)

338408[/snapback]

Suicide Booths