New Shoji Kawamori Design Works!~

YAY!

It is a nice book....

Good source for larger/better quality scans.... and a few new Macross illustrations:

http://www.macrossmecha.info/nvcs/img/vf0/...rmoredvf0-1.jpg

http://www.macrossmecha.info/nvcs/img/sv51...own-beneath.jpg

(Please don't re-distribute : )

Support Kawamori-sama-buy a copy of the book today!

-The Nameless Advisor

www.macrossmecha.info

Where did you get it from?

Amazon Japan doesn't seem to ship out of country...

380456[/snapback]

Yes they do. I ordered mine from Amazon Japan and have also ordered many things from them before.

You can't use your regular Amazon password/account with them though, you have to register seperately. Make sure you click on the blue "In English" button when browsing or ordering, makes ordering a lot simpler if like me you don't read Japanese.

Graham

Fantastic review! Thank you so much Graham.

I'm really glad I took a chance and ordered mine from Amazon Japan because this book has everything I was hoping it would for Macross Zero. Tons of great quality lineart from the new series, these are the pictures I have been eagerly awaiting. Plus lineart of some other favorites including Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, Gundam 0083 and Armored Core. I can't wait until my copy comes in.

Shipping notice just came in today. Should have it soon :)

Edited by Mr March

Thanks for the GREAT review Graham....I also might go through Amazon Japan for this new Designworks.

Any of you guys in the States have any bad experience using Amazon Japan?

Thanks for the GREAT review Graham....I also might go through Amazon Japan for this new Designworks.

Any of you guys in the States have any bad experience using Amazon Japan?

380531[/snapback]

I'm from Canada so I can't say for sure about the U.S., but I ordered my Tenjin Macross Art from Amazon Japan without incident.

I've added a page on the new Shoji Kawamori Design Works book to the main site, complete with a mini-review and sample page scans.

Escaflowne is absent because Kawamori didn't draw the mecha. This is the reason why also Macross Plus' Ghost X-9 and Macross 7's Panzerzorene are absent in Kawamori Design Works (I have the Macross Design Works).

FV

That scan of the YF-21 is sick sick sick!

IIRC it was the same of Macross Design Works, nothing new.

Aside from this, there is something I'd really wanted to know: how is called the halo-like thing on the back of Solar Aquarion? Do notes say something or at least tell what that thing was supposed to do?

FV

Thanks for the scans, Graham. Interesting to note, the last page that shows all the VFs , there's no VF-1D. And where did the Starmirage appear or supposedly when does it appear in the timeline? VF-X?

Thanks for the scans, Graham. Interesting to note, the last page that shows all the VFs , there's no VF-1D. And where did the Starmirage appear or supposedly when does it appear in the timeline? VF-X?

380753[/snapback]

The Macross Compendium has the following to say about the VF-5000 Star Mirage: -

"Shinnakasu Heavy Industry and Stonewell Bellcom began their joint project of a general-purpose lightweight air superiority fighter designed for comparatively low mass production cost and simple maintenance in 2011. The design was based on the VF-1 Valkyrie's design with research on Zentradi technology. When the aerospace development divisions of both companies merged to form Shinsei Industry in 2012, the VF-5000 became the new company's first development project and mass-produced fighter. The fighter was mainly designed as a general-purpose lightweight support and air superiority fighter, and its roles expanded to include aggressor and trainer assignments after mass production ended. First flight 2018. Mass production of VF-5000 started 2020. Assumed the United Nations Forces' main fighter designation from the VF-4 (due to its lower costs) beginning in the later half of the 2020s until the VF-11 Thunderbolt's introduction. Mass production ends in 2029".

The VF-5000 Star Mirage appears in the following productions: -

• Macross M3 for Dreamcast (VF-5000). Takes place during the years 2013 to 2030.
  • Macross VF-X2 Special Edition for Playstation (VF-5000B). Takes place during the year 2051.
  • Macross Dynamite 7 OVA (VF-5000G and VF-5000T-G). Takes place during the year 2047.

Graham

So, just a quick question...where does the art on the front page come from...A model box art, or is it this book...can someone make abigger scan of it if it is the book, that is really a nice picture and it is too bad it is soo small. Thanks

Twich

So, just a quick question...where does the art on the front page come from...A model box art, or is it this book...can someone make abigger scan of it if it is the book, that is really a nice picture and it is too bad it is soo small.  Thanks

380820[/snapback]

That picture is Tenjin's boxart for the upcoming Hasegawa 1/72 scale VF-0S/A battroid kit due for release later this month. I got the picture from the Hasegawa website. It's also been posted in the MW model forums.

Unfortunately, that is the largest size I have been able to find so far.

Back on topic to the book please.

Graham

380753[/snapback]

The Macross Compendium has the following to say about the VF-5000 Star Mirage: -

"Shinnakasu Heavy Industry and Stonewell Bellcom began their joint project of a general-purpose lightweight air superiority fighter designed for comparatively low mass production cost and simple maintenance in 2011. The design was based on the VF-1 Valkyrie's design with research on Zentradi technology. When the aerospace development divisions of both companies merged to form Shinsei Industry in 2012, the VF-5000 became the new company's first development project and mass-produced fighter. The fighter was mainly designed as a general-purpose lightweight support and air superiority fighter, and its roles expanded to include aggressor and trainer assignments after mass production ended. First flight 2018. Mass production of VF-5000 started 2020. Assumed the United Nations Forces' main fighter designation from the VF-4 (due to its lower costs) beginning in the later half of the 2020s until the VF-11 Thunderbolt's introduction. Mass production ends in 2029".

The VF-5000 Star Mirage appears in the following productions: -

• Macross M3 for Dreamcast (VF-5000). Takes place during the years 2013 to 2030.
  • Macross VF-X2 Special Edition for Playstation (VF-5000B). Takes place during the year 2051.
  • Macross Dynamite 7 OVA (VF-5000G and VF-5000T-G). Takes place during the year 2047.

Graham

380771[/snapback]

Thanks Graham. I supposed the VF-5000s were those valks that the Zola planetary patrol were using? Enemy valks were modded VT-1's i think.

Thanks Graham. I supposed the VF-5000s were those valks that the Zola planetary patrol were using? Enemy valks were modded VT-1's i think.

380848[/snapback]

1) Yes. 2) No. The poachers were using modified VA-3Cs, which you can find in this pic: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/shoji/page-9.jpg (hint hint: back on topic, please)

The only VT-1 in MD7 was Graham's VT-1C...which you can see in episodes 1-3.

380848[/snapback]

Yes, the Zola Galactic Whale Patrol were using the VF-5000G (single seat) and VF-5000T-G (two seater), although they also have one new VF-19P, which Basara ends up borrowing.

The Galactic Whale Poachers (the bad guys) where mainly using the VA-3C Custom, a version of the VA-3 modified for hunting Galactic Whales. Although they did have other types of VF as well. Notably, a VF-11 can be seen chasing Lisa (elder sister of Elma) when she escapes in the stolen VF-17D in episode # 3.

A civilian version of the VT-1, called the VT-1C belonging to my namesake character 'Graham' and was borrowed by Basara in episode one and then them badly damaged (rendered unflyable) when Basara flew to close to the Galactic Whales.

And yes, back on topic please. :lol:

Graham

380848[/snapback]

1) Yes. 2) No. The poachers were using modified VA-3Cs, which you can find in this pic: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/shoji/page-9.jpg (hint hint: back on topic, please)

The only VT-1 in MD7 was Graham's VT-1C...which you can see in episodes 1-3.

380864[/snapback]

Thanks Graham and Azrael...there was also one VT-1 that the poachers stole in the 1st episode, and the kid whatshername mentions they do it often. (incompetent planetary police) :lol:

yes....back on topic! ;)

Thanks Graham and Azrael...there was also one VT-1 that the poachers stole in the 1st episode, and the kid whatshername mentions they do it often. (incompetent planetary police) :lol:

380879[/snapback]

You're right, I'd forgotten about the VT-1 that get's stolen at the start of episode 1.

Back on topic.

Graham

Gunhed!?!?!

You didn't know that he did the mechanical designs for that?

I can't wait to get my copy. That will definitely be the first book that I buy when I get to Japan next week!

380808[/snapback]

How about posting where you buy/bought it so that others who are going to Japan soon (hint hint me) can just cut to the chase and go and get one.

Pictures of shops usually help too.

For those who received their copy already, any comments about what is in the Gundam 0083 section?

381019[/snapback]

The Stardust Memory black and white lineart occupies pages 116-119 and consists of the the finished design drawings of the GP-01, GP-01FB, GP-02, Core Fighters for the GP-01 & GP-01FB and the Albion spaceship. There is no color art and no early concept art. All of this art has appeared in various other Stardust Memory art books before.

Graham

Hehe... VA-3M "Floot" Heh.

Never heard of Gunhead before. Anyone got a link?

And as I have yet to be wowed by M0, I don't think I'm going to shell out money for this book unless the other art amazes me. In terms of Macross, Miyatake's book was far more satisfying than Kawamori's. :D

In terms of Macross, Miyatake's book was far more satisfying than Kawamori's. :D

381177[/snapback]

This is the SECOND volume of Kawamori Design Works: the first, published in 2001, focused entirely on Macross:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/...esign_works.htm

You're better off going after that if you want "satisfaction". ;)

Hehe... VA-3M "Floot" Heh.

Never heard of Gunhead before. Anyone got a link?

381177[/snapback]

Gunhed was a live action movie from 1989, that Kawamori designed the principal mecha for.

Just do a google search, there's lots of sites with info.

Graham

Huh. It's gunhed without an A ;)

And I have the design works book. I just find Miyatake's book much more satisfiying. It might have something to do with the fact that it has SDF-1 and Orguss artwork in it, but I can't be certain :)

And Graham, are you sure it was just live action? I just ran across something in that google search;

gunhed.jpg

Was an anime produced from Gunhed?

The main mecha also looks like the mecha off the cover of the Japanese Battletech manual.

Edited by Boxer

H

gunhed.jpg

Was an anime produced from Gunhed?

The main mecha also looks like the mecha off the cover of the Japanese Battletech manual.

381304[/snapback]

No anime that I'm aware of, but a full colour manga adapation of the movie by Kia Asamiya was made and even released in English by Viz many, many suns ago. An Armoured Personnel Carrier called "Gunhed" also has a cameo in William Gibsons novel "Virtual Light".