Your Wife & Your Valks - The Real Battle Ground.

Mowe

Quoted kanata67's:

"so how many gbp is that now? The IRS gods are frowning on me. The wife changed the ebay password in anticipation of how much we owe... damnit

time for me to get a second job to pay for toys I don't have time to play with"

I just read the above post from kanata67's on the More Classic Macross Goodness thread. This was so hilarious, it brought tears to my eye. So I thought this could be a fun topic, since most of us are in the mid 20s and 30s with partners. Many of our other halves usually consider the Valks to be a bit of obstacles in the relationship.

Sent a post if you have a funny or unusual story to tell, whether it is a devious scheme to buy Valks behind your wife’s back or major episode involving unexplainable disappearance of Valks. You might even want to parade how your women support your Valk habbits. Who knows, we might learnt a few tricks from each other. :p

p.s just realised, there might be MW chicks with hubby out there as well, your posts are of course welcomed.

Edited by Mowe

That is why you don't get married. Better to spread your seeds and move on to the next like it was in the discovery channel. After all, it is nature of the beast.

Quoted kanata67's: 

"so how many gbp is that now? The IRS gods are frowning on me. The wife changed the ebay password in anticipation of how much we owe... damnit 

I just read the above post from kanata67's on the More Classic Macross Goodness thread.  This was so hilarious, it brought tears to my eye.  So I thought this could be a fun topic, since most of us are in the mid 20s and 30s with partners.  Many of our other halves usually consider the Valks to be a bit of obstacles in the relationship. 

Sent a post if you have a funny or usually story to tell, whether it is a devious scheme to buy Valks behind your wife’s back or major episode involving unexplainable disappearance of Valks.  You might even want to parade how your women support your Valk habbits.  Who knows, we might learnt a few tricks from each other. :p 

p.s just realised, there might be MW chicks with hubby out there as well, your posts are of course welcomed.

376441[/snapback]

Looks like the wife is the common sense one here: Yamato is going to destroy people's lives. :blink:

And I use to think the obsessed WoW people were dangerous to themselves..(loss of GF/wife/social life due to obsession with game)

See if only bigwest and HG worked something out we would all be relaxed and have more stuff. In my case being in australia, the shipping cost eats a big hole so I keep a limit on what I can get. (which robs yamato of more profit in the end since it is all going into the middleman)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Guest Bromgrev

It never comes up, because I know when to say "No". Like when my wife says, "Are you sure you've got that one? You'd better buy it anyway, just in case. You'll regret it later if you don't." :rolleyes:

My wife lets me get whatever I want really and I let her get whatever she wants.  Funny isn't it? :D lol  We both collect toys, so it's cool.

376526[/snapback]

That is cool. Mine lets me buy stuff, but is fast to remind me that she will never understand it.

*sigh*

She's ALMOST perfect. :p

mine starting taking pictures of my stuff so she can compare them from month to month.

she just asked me this morning what happened to by brown one and then here comes in the mail the milia i traded the cf for.

so, she's now keeping tabs on me. but i tell her, hey, i don't drink or smoke, and i only buy what i work part-time jobs for.

I'm not that lucky.

My girlfriend just has no memory at all on all things: exept on my Valks and Gundam's .... she always notices new stuff on the shelves... GGGRrrrR ... </p>

She managed for me to keep unopened box and unbuild models in the basement ;) Lucky me..... I have the key, and she doesn't come by too much ... so new stuff goes straiglt to the basement.... :rolleyes: </p>

And then. .. the memory problem helps, like "No no, it's been there for a while now, but I just want to display it" :) I'm eager to see waht will happen in a few monthes when we will move to our new house.</p>

I managed to get my own "Macross Museum" room ;) and workbench

And then. .. the memory problem helps, like "No no, it's been there for a while now, but I just want to display it"  :) I'm eager to see waht will happen in a few monthes when we will move to our new house.</p>

Man, I've got to play that card the end of this month. I've been buying models and toys left and right for the last 5 years. I've got to have about 25-30 totes full of them, and that doesn't include at least 2 of each of the 1/48s. I get the "you got another package today" as soon as I walk in the door from work. I usually tell her its a cheap used model I picked up. Sometimes I prep her by telling her I made this awesome score real cheap, and then hope she doesn't press for details. If I told her it was a $150-$200 Yammie, that I already had one of, the temp in the house would drop a few degrees right away. I usually take the package into the garage, where I open it, check it out, and immediately put it in the basement as we have no room here to display anything.

When we move, she'll be helping me hauling all this stuff out, and I'll be about as nervous as a whore in church....... :( . I've been prepping her, like telling her most of the stuff in storage is from my childhood. Hopefully she doesn't look too closely at the dates on the boxes! She's usually pretty cool with it, but finances have been getting tight, especially with cost of building a house, so she's getting a little more "concerned", and of course now Yamato decides to put the production lines in overdrive.....

My wife likes my Valks. I have my limit to spend and she has hers. Her collection is alot larger than mine. She collects antiques. When you step into my house you go back about a 150 years. But when you go into the basement.... it's all future time baby. Thats my room!

Little White Lies has been know to be used and is perfectly normal in a relationship. As a case in point, ask her how many guys she has banged and multiply that by two.

And then. .. the memory problem helps, like "No no, it's been there for a while now, but I just want to display it"  :) I'm eager to see waht will happen in a few monthes when we will move to our new house.</p>

Man, I've got to play that card the end of this month. I've been buying models and toys left and right for the last 5 years. I've got to have about 25-30 totes full of them, and that doesn't include at least 2 of each of the 1/48s. I get the "you got another package today" as soon as I walk in the door from work. I usually tell her its a cheap used model I picked up. Sometimes I prep her by telling her I made this awesome score real cheap, and then hope she doesn't press for details. If I told her it was a $150-$200 Yammie, that I already had one of, the temp in the house would drop a few degrees right away. I usually take the package into the garage, where I open it, check it out, and immediately put it in the basement as we have no room here to display anything.

When we move, she'll be helping me hauling all this stuff out, and I'll be about as nervous as a whore in church....... :( . I've been prepping her, like telling her most of the stuff in storage is from my childhood. Hopefully she doesn't look too closely at the dates on the boxes! She's usually pretty cool with it, but finances have been getting tight, especially with cost of building a house, so she's getting a little more "concerned", and of course now Yamato decides to put the production lines in overdrive.....

376976[/snapback]

Little White Lies has been know to be used and is perfectly normal in a relationship. As a case in point, ask her how many guys she has banged and multiply that by two.

376976[/snapback]

377167[/snapback]

Luckily for me, we married very young, so I know exactly what number I was in that line ;) . Although my youngest does look a little like the UPS guy.... who is always dropping off my packages!!! Oh no, I've brought it on myself :o:o . Oh well, at least I've still got my toys B)) .

I started a thread without knowing about it :lol:

funnier still was the wife didn't pre-empt my spending but our ebay account was hacked. it could have been real bad but rather than bidding on tons of stuff the hacker relisted my camaro 5 times :blink::blink::blink:

so while I still owe the irs some loot I'm not cut off from toys... yippie.

as for tips on how to aquire a collection with a non-toy loving wife...

first off... don't let her "transform" your officers pod [shudder] I'll fix that glaug eventually :blink:

buy and sell. If you only buy they notice, if you buy and sell they notice less, especially if you make a profit. My wife still brags to her family about how much the "little metal men" [ie battletech mini's] I bought by weight sold for.

trade as often as possible. I trade by neccessity as I'm not rich, but packages coming and going often with little change in the bank account balance seems to be acceptible to the wife... till she asks what happened to the psx2 anyways :rolleyes::lol:

There is aways the "retirement fund" aspect as well. Simply point out how your 1/48 low vis has increased in value substantially more than your 401k in the same time period ;)

Help out over seas bidders. I've helped out a few here and there. I am currently helping out Deimos as he is in the phillipines and it is easier and cheaper for me to win stuff on ebay, have it shipped to me, and then ship large boxes to him. He has always paid promtly and while I make no profit the stuff I buy for myself doesn't get noticed by the wife. Out of the last 10 items I won 8 were for Deimos. One of the ones for me was only $10 shipped. unfortunately I just won another musha gundam at a good price... but more than I should have spent...

hopefully I can blame it on Deimos saying it was another $100 "robot dog" [ie AT-AT] :rolleyes:

not that I didn't get severly reprimanded for the couple of insufficient funds charges when I picked up my first 1/48 for myself and one for a friend from neova. I should have had my friend pay in advance...

now with owing the irs some loot and wanting a 1/48 gbp plus a vf-0 and a stealth with fast packs I need to sell some stuff and get a second job. When I sold the camaro and bought a truck I bought her a laptop as well. She wanted one but doesn't like spending money [i sooo love her] so I convinced her that the laptop would pay for itself as she could make auctions for ebay while watching tv :lol: . Expect lots of auctions from me in the near future ;)

When we move, she'll be helping me hauling all this stuff out, and I'll be about as nervous as a whore in church....... :( .  I've been prepping her, like telling her most of the stuff in storage is from my childhood.  Hopefully she doesn't look too closely at the dates on the boxes!  She's usually pretty cool with it, but finances have been getting tight, especially with cost of building a house, so she's getting a little more "concerned", and of course now Yamato decides to put the production lines in overdrive.....

376976[/snapback]

Keep me posted, that is if you survived :D

I may need your survval skills and training to prep for my next moving :ph34r:

Cool thread.

I started a similar thread on Toybox DX a few months ago so I will just re-post from there.

I once bought a c7 box, c10 toy Takatoku 1/55 VF1S GBP Giftpack for $300 using money that my roomate had given my wife and I for rent. I kept track of the money so she never knew when I got paid from him, so when I paid for the toy on Paypal from our checking account, I lied and said that I was buying something for a friend of mine and handed her the $350 (shipping) that was really hers too. I really had a problem then and I am not bad like that anymore. That year I was out of control and spent $7,000 on Robotech and Macross stuff.

She hates my collecting and one of my worst fears is that if we were to ever divorce, she will get half of it and would sell it. That wouldn't be fun. I think she tolerates it partly because its worth something.

Cool thread.

I started a similar thread on Toybox DX a few months ago so I will just re-post from there.

I once bought a c7 box, c10 toy Takatoku 1/55 VF1S GBP Giftpack for $300 using money that my roomate had given my wife and I for rent. I kept track of the money so she never knew when I got paid from him, so when I paid for the toy on Paypal from our checking account, I lied and said that I was buying something for a friend of mine and handed her the $350 (shipping) that was really hers too. I really had a problem then and I am not bad like that anymore. That year I was out of control and spent $7,000 on Robotech and Macross stuff. 

She hates my collecting and one of my worst fears is that if we were to ever divorce, she will get half of it and would sell it.  That wouldn't be fun.  I think she tolerates it partly because its worth something.

378161[/snapback]

Damn Bro!! I'd say, if a divorce is on the horizon, sell the whole collection to a buddy for $1 well ahead of time, then split that with her :D . You can always buy it back from him after the dust settles.......

Cool thread.

She hates my collecting and one of my worst fears is that if we were to ever divorce, she will get half of it and would sell it.  That wouldn't be fun.  I think she tolerates it partly because its worth something.

378161[/snapback]

Damn Bro!! I'd say, if a divorce is on the horizon, sell the whole collection to a buddy for $1 well ahead of time, then split that with her :D . You can always buy it back from him after the dust settles.......

378190[/snapback]

Definately nothing on the horizon :) She would know if I did something like that unfortunately, and I wouldn't get away with it. Its my fault for using the excuse, "but it will be worth something years from now" and," this thing is worth $75 and I got it for $10" :)

I guess the hard part would be for her to prove what it is worth since there are no price guides for 95% of this stuff.

But, its not like there is any reason for this to happen any time soon :)

Totoro, you got me thinking, my worst fear now would be if there is ever a rough argument, my Valks might became the first targets of aggression...must think of a back up plans...must think of a back up plans.... <_<

...She hates my collecting and one of my worst fears is that if we were to ever divorce, she will get half of it and would sell it....

378161[/snapback]

Sell them to a trusted friend for a $1. You will keep the collection but legally your friend would be the legal owner. Your wife can't take half of what you don't legally own...

Gosh guys....wear the pants.... its all about the PANTS! :lol:

Graham is a role model to us all. ;)

He has valks AND pants. ;)

378530[/snapback]

Just have to be careful not to wear too big of pants.... sometimes wearing the PANTS keeps you out of the PANTIES :lol: .

Edited by RT junkie

Gosh guys....wear the pants.... its all about the PANTS! :lol:

Graham is a role model to us all. ;)

He has valks AND pants. ;)

378530[/snapback]

Just have to be careful not to wear too big of pants.... sometimes wearing the PANTS keeps you out of the PANTIES :lol: .

378540[/snapback]

That's when you sneak in and go COMMANDO. :p

My wife is awesome. When I worry aloud about whether I should be spending so much money on a particular toy, she says "That's okay, you can buy it for me. That way you're not spending the money on yourself."

Besides being sweet, this strengthens our marraige because she knows exactly which valks are "hers" (she points them out to friends when they visit) and I have no doubt she would take her toys with her if she ever left.

You gotta have the support of the wife if you've got a hobby, though, and you have to keep it in check. I have a good friend who screwed up his marriage because he couldn't keep his stamp collecting obsession to a reasonable level. He spent all their money on stamps, she left him, and he ended up having to sell the stamps to pay the bills anyway. Dang, yo.