Original Aerospace Fighter

Lestat

This is not at all macross, but it's kind of related, following in the tradition of the hory froating head himself - aircraft design.

I designed the base craft on paper first, then modelled/base textured it. It will be used in a d20 modern product in the future.

post-544-1141230948_thumb.jpg

post-544-1141230957_thumb.jpg

Sound's intereting.

Am I understanding it correctly with d20 that it will be used for role play?

May be interesting ;) Since I'm actually playing in a homebrew universe a pilot of a "want-to-be" Gun-kyrie :)

Sound's intereting.

Am I understanding it correctly with d20 that it will be used for role play?

May be interesting ;) Since I'm actually playing in a homebrew universe a pilot of a "want-to-be" Gun-kyrie :)

375222[/snapback]

Yeah, just a cheap pdf product detailing the craft for play in any d20 Modern or d20 Future (both available from Wizards of the Coast) campaign. Basically, it will read like a car brochure, with all the weapons options, etc.

Some of the features as is, includes passive stealth, a variable wing design including forward and back swept wing positions and stowable forward canards. Also has four internal weapons bays, overhull scramjet system (uses an external booster jet to reach hypersonic speeds first to get the scramjet going) and variable thrust.

Options will enable a vernier thruster pack, additional fuel tanks, active stealth and a rear-facing turret.

Nice design! The only slight thing I'd point out is that, from the side view, the cockpit canopy glass seems to go too far down - it looks a touch odd, and with the fuselage "chine" there wouldn't be much point to having glass that low as I would think the chine would block the view downwards anyway...

Interesting design, but you center of looks way too far aft, you might want to consider drawing the wings and LERX forward a bit. Also, why do you have what appear to be 4 air intakes for the engine, are you trying to somehow improve your high alpha performance, if so you would be better off to bring your lower intakes further forward, closer to the leading edge.

Nice design! The only slight thing I'd point out is that, from the side view, the cockpit canopy glass seems to go too far down - it looks a touch odd, and with the fuselage "chine" there wouldn't be much point to having glass that low as I would think the chine would block the view downwards anyway...

375303[/snapback]

I'll take that into consideration and I think work on the cockpit a little. You've got a valid point there.

Interesting design, but you center of looks way too far aft, you might want to consider drawing the wings and LERX forward a bit.  Also, why do you have what appear to be 4 air intakes for the engine, are you trying to somehow improve your high alpha performance, if so you would be better off to bring your lower intakes further forward, closer to the leading edge.

375329[/snapback]

The upper 'engines' are not the main engines. They're scramjets, hypersonic engines that only operate at extremely high speeds. The fighter needs a booster to use them in the first place.

Thanks for the tip on the centre of gravity too. I see you're point, and I'll ponder it, though I'm not keen for the retexturing that would require... Cockpit's a little easier to change...

Whoaa! Lestat that's a nice design. B)) I have alot of orginal fighter designs of my own

but I'm a little insecure about showing them off to others. BTW is that design of yours copyrighted? That's important if you don't want others to take your design.

Well, I don't like it. Personal preference. I don't like fighters that look like geese. I, like others here, like to design my own stuff sometimes, so I don't mean this as discouragement. It is obvious you have put a lot of effort into the design, so you obviously like it...that's all that counts.

As far as constructive critisism:

- I don't think the aerodynamics of a wing that sweeps forward AND back is gonna work. One airfoil design won't work for both.

- The cockpit doesn't seem to have much visibility for a fighter, unless of course you're imagining that BVR combat has become the norm in your fictional world.

- I can't imagine that anyone would build a plane with intergral scramjets if the plane itself can't take advantage of them without external help. That is a lot of extra weight to carry around the rest of the time. Why not assume the regular engines can accelerate the craft to the requisite speeds? Or have four normal engines, with scramjets being an optional bolt on?

that's it i think

this is what I am talking about in my first point: you would need a wing such that at profiles A & B the airfoil was efficient. I think that would be a prob.

post-659-1141332357.jpg

Edited by Phyrox

Oh BTW Lestat, I noticed that your design also looks like the VF-19A only with a stealth constuctional body. Was your design inspired by the VF-19A?

Phalanx, the design was inspired by the F-22 mostly, not Macross at all. I thought a plane with a variable wing that switched between forward and backward swept would be cool.

As for copyrights, I created it, I therefore own the copyrights to the design under modern copyright laws. These days you don't need to file a copyright registration when you create something, the copyright comes instantly. The same goes for other works of art, writing, just about anything. Of course, registering it helps prove it's yours...

As for Phyrox's comments, that's fine if you don't like it, I do, and I was mostly looking to please myself. lol. I must confess, I've only a passing interest in aerodynamics and such,

The plane is designed to be presented at different technology levels. So in one version, the engines are powerful enough to power the scramjets by themselves, and in another, they require a rocket booster which detaches later - basically the idea is to get the craft very quickly into combat, and then retrieve conventionally. Another version will have the rockets internally.

It is meant to be flown with a neural cap that provides a mind/machine interface, including links to undercarriage cameras. I was going to also work on a design revision (really an offshoot), that has a much larger single scramjet on the undercarriage between the two engines, although that does not leave much room for internal weapons payloads...

- I don't think the aerodynamics of a wing that sweeps forward AND back is gonna work.  One airfoil design won't work for both.

you would need a wing such that at profiles A & B the airfoil was efficient.  I think that would be a prob.

375718[/snapback]

Well...not unless you employ a morphing airfoil. ;)

J A Dare

VA Tech, AOE 1998

Phalanx, the design was inspired by the F-22 mostly, not Macross at all. I thought a plane with a variable wing that switched between forward and backward swept would be cool.

As for copyrights, I created it, I therefore own the copyrights to the design under modern copyright laws. These days you don't need to file a copyright registration when you create something, the copyright comes instantly. The same goes for other works of art, writing, just about anything. Of course, registering it helps prove it's yours...

As for Phyrox's comments, that's fine if you don't like it, I do, and I was mostly looking to please myself. lol. I must confess, I've only a passing interest in aerodynamics and such,

The plane is designed to be presented at different technology levels. So in one version, the engines are powerful enough to power the scramjets by themselves, and in another, they require a rocket booster which detaches later - basically the idea is to get the craft very quickly into combat, and then retrieve conventionally. Another version will have the rockets internally.

It is meant to be flown with a neural cap that provides a mind/machine interface, including links to undercarriage cameras. I was going to also work on a design revision (really an offshoot), that has a much larger single scramjet on the undercarriage between the two engines, although that does not leave much room for internal weapons payloads...

376044[/snapback]

ah, i see. well thought out. a man after my own heart then. now, if we could just work on aesthetics...

just kidding. keep up the good work...I wish I could transform my ideas into virtual 3-d as you've done a good job of.

Quick question Lestat, where can I find that 3D modeling program?

Quick question Lestat, where can I find that 3D modeling program that you used?

Phalancx if you want a relatively good free to cheap 3-D modeler pick up Wings3D or Rhino, just search for them, anything else will cost you a few thousand dollars, yes thousand.

Thanx :)

I used 3d studio max 6, and paint shop pro 7.04 for the modelling and texture making. Attached is my original sketches for the craft. Thought it might interest some people.

post-544-1141684952_thumb.jpg