Pale Cocoon

wolfx

Following in the steps of Makoto Shinkai's Voices of A Distant Star is Yasuhiro Yoshiura's Pale Cocoon, done entirely by himself.

I just picked this fansub a week ago and boy was it great! Its a 30 minute episode, with cool CG and an intriguing story. Humans are living in huge underground complexes that look like futuristic ghettos because the environment outside has become too dangerous for human habitation due to human negligence to protect the environment in the past. The main character is a data salvager. Basically not much is known about their past and how they came to live in this huge underground complex, so these data salvagers would "dig up" old data (in binary format :lol: ) and restore them to their original states, mostly pictures of the "old world" where they had animals, plants etc.

One day the main character gets a video file.......and is very intrigued by the video. Once the video was restored, he realised the folly of humans......

I was totally refreshed by this anime short. It proves (just like VOADS) that short stories can convey as much meaning and substance if not more, than an anime which has 100++ episodes. I highly recommend it. Check it out at the usual places.

Official Site:

http://www.studio-rikka.com/page/pale/pale_top.htm

Blog review with pictures: (WARNING! MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS)

http://clem.blogsome.com/2006/02/01/pale-cocoon-ova/

• 1 year later...
Following in the steps of Makoto Shinkai's Voices of A Distant Star is Yasuhiro Yoshiura's Pale Cocoon, done entirely by himself.

I just picked this fansub a week ago and boy was it great! Its a 30 minute episode, with cool CG and an intriguing story. Humans are living in huge underground complexes that look like futuristic ghettos because the environment outside has become too dangerous for human habitation due to human negligence to protect the environment in the past. The main character is a data salvager. Basically not much is known about their past and how they came to live in this huge underground complex, so these data salvagers would "dig up" old data (in binary format :lol: ) and restore them to their original states, mostly pictures of the "old world" where they had animals, plants etc.

One day the main character gets a video file.......and is very intrigued by the video. Once the video was restored, he realised the folly of humans......

I was totally refreshed by this anime short. It proves (just like VOADS) that short stories can convey as much meaning and substance if not more, than an anime which has 100++ episodes. I highly recommend it. Check it out at the usual places.

Official Site:

http://www.studio-rikka.com/page/pale/pale_top.htm

Blog review with pictures: (WARNING! MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS)

http://clem.blogsome.com/2006/02/01/pale-cocoon-ova/

I saw the trailer and it has all the qualitys of a good a anime but I think the story is a little to out there, this is only me for the record, but I cant find myself relating to this environment or setting.This is only me and my opinion by the way, but I did get a taste for the girl who leapt time, I am currently downloading it.

Edited by deadghost

got bored here at work and watchd it, it was ok, the name describes it.

what I did not understand was how people did not how they were living on the moon, and how is the main character going to get down from the surface???

I dont know, it's a anime of a differnt color.

thanks wolfx

I want to encourage more threads like these, you know where we find great anime and wen try to share it.

got bored here at work and watchd it, it was ok, the name describes it.

what I did not understand was how people did not how they were living on the moon, and how is the main character going to get down from the surface???

I dont know, it's a anime of a differnt color.

thanks wolfx

I want to encourage more threads like these, you know where we find great anime and wen try to share it.

Well....they immigrated to the moon so long ago that either they forgotten where they are and where they're from, or the government on the moon hasn't been educating their people well. The guy was digging up images of common everyday stuff on earth that they have never seen before on the moon. That itself tells how different their lives on the moon are with ours.

How the main character gonna get down? Dunno...not important. Its just as important as "did the girl at the end of Voices of a Distant Star get back on the ship?" :lol:

Saw this a while back and I mainly remember the atmosphere, which was great: overall, it's a very nice short that I recommend to everyone around, at least for the 'experience' :)

On the other hand, I wouldn't compare it to Makoto Shinkai's Voices...: this last one's very colorful while Pale Cocoon's far darker and moody; also its concept is less 'personnal', more like some sort of philosophical tale about the madness of humans when Voices...'s theme is more the one of a teared up love

Saw this a while back and I mainly remember the atmosphere, which was great: overall, it's a very nice short that I recommend to everyone around, at least for the 'experience' :)

On the other hand, I wouldn't compare it to Makoto Shinkai's Voices...: this last one's very colorful while Pale Cocoon's far darker and moody; also its concept is less 'personnal', more like some sort of philosophical tale about the madness of humans when Voices...'s theme is more the one of a teared up love

I only compared it to VoaDS because its a one man show, and also how the art of packing so much story into half an hour. ;)

Of course: short stories often are more interesting than longer ones, precisely because they go straight into the heart of the subject instead of revolving around it during hours

This is why we never have enough of them, unfortunately...