1/48 Valk Cleaning With Alcohol Ok?

ychanus

I heard somewhere said that when using some type of paint thinner on plastic could damage the plastic and making it more brittle? I have been cleaning my 1/48 valk with alcohol; and when I fill the panel line using a Gundam marker, I use alcohol to wipe the spill over clean.

Now, I'm worrying about that I'have been damaging the plastic or making it more brittle. I wonder if anyone have any experience on this issue.

Edited by ychanus

Wiping with alcohol should not damage anything since it evaporates so fast. Besides, I don't think the plastic would react with things like isopropyl alcohol, ammonia based cleaners (Windex), diluted white vinegar, or mild soap solutions (dishwater detergent + water). Just don't ever soak the toy in whatever you're using to clean it as that will certainly affect any stickers you may have applied (destroy the adhesive) and may flake or otherwise damage paint, and may cause soft vinyl or PVC to dry out and disintegrate (not likely, but better safe than sorry).

Edited by mechaninac

Do not use the paint thinner ELO (Easy Lift Off) to soak your parts. It will weaken and make the plastic brittle. Best to stay away from it. Yes, I experimented when I was making my TV Max valk... pissed me off since I had to buy parts that amounted to another valk. :angry: Live and learn.

Yep, I have learnt my lesson too :( Do not use any type of thinner, especially those made for model paint, as I used Mr. Color thinner to wipe off some excess panel linings and the those pieces became very brittle afterwards!

Back to my question, is it ok with alcohol?

372750[/snapback]

I thought I answered that... :huh:

372768[/snapback]

I know you did, but then I got confused with alcohol and thinner by other posts.. What exactly are their difference? I thought thinner also contain some alcohol...

I have no clue..

Back to my question, is it ok with alcohol?

372750[/snapback]

I thought I answered that... :huh:

372768[/snapback]

I know you did, but then I got confused with alcohol and thinner by other posts.. What exactly are their difference? I thought thinner also contain some alcohol...

I have no clue..

372786[/snapback]

Thinner contains other chemicals to remove paint. Alcohol is an additive to thinner. Alcohol is used to clean and sterylize.

I always clean my valks with alcohol. After polishing off a bottle of captain I'm all about dusting my collection :lol: .

never use acetone or acetate! discolors and weakens the plastic and can even melt it completely given enough time... which confused me as it came in a plastic bottle :blink: . Wait... I think it came in a can but smelled like something that came in a plastic bottle... nail polish remover.

rubbing alcohol should be fine. grain alcohol would work, I'd avoid cordials, beers, and wines though ;)

Thinner contains other chemicals to remove paint.Ā  Alcohol is an additive to thinner.Ā  Alcohol is used to clean and sterylize.

372806[/snapback]

What he said.

Also, thinners for anything other than acrylics, and even some acrylic thinners, contain organic compounds that eat plastics for lunch.

Thinners may contain alcohol (especially for acrylics), but rubbing alcohol does not contain thinning agents like acetone and mineral spirits.

And ychanus, sorry if I came off a little curt on my last reply... it wasn't my intention.

It really depends on the types of plastic.

I assume the Valks are made of ABS, when I checked the chemical/solvent resistance of plastic handbook. It has mixed results for isopropanol/rubbing alcohol. Some (mostly) say it's unaffected, while other severely attacked it (at 50C temp).

However, The testing used 100% isopropanol, and for 7 days or more (I assume soaking). So for general cleaning, I'd say diluted isopropanol is fine.

Similar results with ethanol.

It really depends on the types of plastic.

I assume the Valks are made of ABS, when I checked the chemical/solvent resistance of plastic handbook. It has mixed results for isopropanol/rubbing alcohol. Some (mostly) say it's unaffected, while other severely attacked it (at 50C temp).

However, The testing used 100% isopropanol, and for 7 days or more (I assume soaking). So for general cleaning, I'd say diluted isopropanol is fine.

Similar results with ethanol.

372906[/snapback]

hey guys i'm new here, please be gentle :)

is isoprophyl the same as isopranol alcohol? dilute it with water?

tnx in advance.

(No pics allowed in sig. Pic removed by admin)

isopropyl alcohol is the same as isopropanol, or rubbing alcohol.

They are usually sold in pharmacy in 91% by volumeĀ  or 70% by volume (more common). Just make sure you get the clear one. sometime they put dye in it.

372969[/snapback]

tnx for the info bro. i was planning to panel line my new 1S hikaru 1/48 (my 1st macross figure) with gundam markers (grey), then remove excess with gunze sangyo thinner. t'was nice i've read this thread before hand, gunze sangyo thinner is bad for yamato plastic after all.