How Do You Handle Yamato's Floodgates?

feudallordcult

I have a issue which I am sure all members would be able to enlighten me with. Over the past few years, yamato has been manufacturing and reissuing valks, fastpacks and gbp armour as if there's no tomorrow. How do you good chaps handle this floodgate of valks that keep rushing out yamato factories?

1) Are most of the macross members married and if so, how do you find the extra cash to finance this very very expensive hobby?

2) How many members here are hardcore completist? C'mon, just own up! :lol: I know of an Australian here in MW orld who owns over 70 valks! My gosh...over 70, RESPECT!

3) At the rate yamato is going, are you able to sustain this buying spree. There's always this mentality (but I do not speak for all) that if I am to wait, adam smith's invisible hand would somewhat force the price of that particular to banana prices. we need not look beyond the low-viz valk for a perfect example. :rolleyes:

anyway, i have to admit, it's getting kinda tight for me esp when 0 is coming out very soon.

1. Single

2. I am a completist. I wil get two each of the two new models of the 1/48, plus 12 VF-0S.

3. How do I sustain it? Work weekends, for everybody and sacrifice going to the gym, martial arts and movies etc. I spent $1500 AUD on my 21st last year, and can no way do that this year. When I hit my 22nd on the 23rd this month I won't do much at all but go for a day long ride on my bike (which is free! :D) to the beach, around the Swan River, and Perth City with my mates.

Edited by kensei

my friend, the number 94 is going to be a magical one but I am it will not be long before the magical number goes up again.

372281[/snapback]

To be honest, I'm actually pretty happy right now. I've accomplished my ideal collection. I'm not buying anymore than necesary for now. Because I only have two LV, I'm going to continue the pattern and make a special display for them alongside the new LV and the Stealth. This shelf is for non-canon valks.

Edited by kensei

1. Single but not because I prefer Valks over women (I swear, this was suggested by a few posts in another forum elsewhere). Extra cash is not exactly the right word, more like my hard earn pay....but priority is the key with my spending. Rare Valks first (e.g. LV, Super VF-1J), the rest later. I still don't have a Roy/Hiki VF-1S, nor the CF. But, looking at the way Yamato is heading, I don't think I am in a hurry, I am even holding off the 1A Max (got a minor burt with the Ebay 1A Hiki but escaped in time with the 1A Max). My immediate priority is the LV2 and Stealth, the rest will come later when my wallet is padded again.

2. I am not a completist of re-issue but I like to own all variations. I collect the 1/48 Valks because they are really beautifully made toys, so one of each is good enough for me.

3. How do I sustain it?....go for a day long ride on my bike (which is free! :D) to the beach, around the Swan River, and Perth City with my mates.

372279[/snapback]

G'day Kensei! I hear ya. If we ever struggle for entertainment cash down under, our free sun and beaches always do the tricks.B)) If any neg about being in Australia is the freaking shipping cost. :angry:

1. married with two kids, maybe one more on the way.

2. i only buy what i like. which is at least one of everything.

3. i work side jobs for it. none of my regular pay goes to toys. any overtime goes to guns/computers/video games. all side jobs go to Macross/Anime.

1) Married...I use to run the VE store to bring in extra cash for the Mrs and baby and still have enough money for the hobby.

2) Yes, I am a completist...I have about 2 or more of everything out. I don't try to keep up with all the reissues though...

3) It gets hard...but I try my best... :lol:

-K

I have a issue which I am sure all members would be able to enlighten me with. Over the past few years, yamato has been manufacturing and reissuing valks, fastpacks and gbp armour as if there's no tomorrow. How do you good chaps handle this floodgate of valks that keep rushing out yamato factories?

1) Are most of the macross members married and if so, how do you find the extra cash to finance this very very expensive hobby?

2) How many members here are hardcore completist? C'mon, just own up! :lol: I know of an Australian here in MW orld who owns over 70 valks! My gosh...over 70, RESPECT!

3) At the rate yamato is going, are you able to sustain this buying spree. There's always this mentality (but I do not speak for all) that if I am to wait, adam smith's invisible hand would somewhat force the price of that particular to banana prices. we need not look beyond the low-viz valk for a perfect example. :rolleyes:

anyway, i have to admit, it's getting kinda tight for me esp when 0 is coming out very soon.

372272[/snapback]

1. Not Married

2. I buy 1/48's but not three of each variety and I often pass if it's a paint scheme I'm not too excited about.

3. I pass on the collectors items that I know I'll just let go of in the future.

1) About to get married by the end of this year. I have been living with my Fiance for a while now. She is okay with my hobby as long as I control the spending spree.

2) I buy the valks that I like. I don't have a complete collection of all 1/48 valks that have been released. I have about one or two of everything. I don't keep up with all the reissues.

3) Rule of thumb: Never spend more than what you have on your excess cash (savings) each month. If you really want to buy something that you want and it will jeopardise your wallet, then sell some of your other collections on Ebay to recuperate the cost.

Rnurmin :)

Congrats, murmin!!

1. Married, with our first child on the way. WOOHOOO!!

2. Buy what I like. I would like to buy all the 1/48s, but I can\'t justify to myself having all those variants when I already have them in 1/55. Besides, to me 1/55 is still king and always will be. But, I MIGHT consider buying the new LV and Stealth.

3. I work way too much...you can ask the people who know me. I don\'t do it to buy stuff, I just do it not to be bored. Idle hands are the devil\'s playground.

1) I'm single at the 'mo. A matter of choice rather than anything else

2) I tend to buy what I like. Although I do have a plan to accumulate fifteen officially released VF's to complete my rag-bag squadron. Once that's done the few bootlegs I have will be parceled out to a subsidiary flight and I shall slow down my rate of acquisitions a bit

3) I save a lot. Currently I'm putting money aside for the VF-0 and have been for a while, cutting back on other things I was collecting to put the money aside. I don't tend to get multiples of anything (I have two VF-1S Roy's but that was due to a snafu with a HLJ order that their website wouldn't let me in to cancel for a week and a half - by which time it had already shipped.). Pretty much one Valk of each type is my lot at the moment.

Karl

1. Married with two young deductions ages 3 and 6.

2. Have become a completist... actually just completed my collection yesterday! Will buy 2 of each whether I like it or not. I think it's some form of obsessive compulsive disorder, but not to the extent of going after each release of the same toy.

3. 3 side jobs to support the habit. 1. Run an Ebay store for the local Suzuki motorcycle dealership. 2. Contract Mechanical Engineer work. 3. Repair cars for everybody I know. Now that my collection is complete, and once I've got the new releases (0S, LVII and stealth) behind me, I hope to give up jobs 1 and 3. Maybe even job 2 so I can see my family, and actually get to play with / admire my collection. I just need Yamato to space out the releases a little more :angry: .

Single. I have a toy budget. Use to have a technology budget bigger than the toy budget... now it is other way around.

2) How many members here are hardcore completist? Depends on what I like.

I collect 1/48s only (unless the 2 seaters aint coming I will consider 1/60). I also collect other things like Macross destroids, enemy mecha, etc. and other anime toys. 1/48s are pretty much unlimited...for now.

3) At the rate yamato is going, are you able to sustain this buying spree? Not really since I have a house in the future to look into. But we will see. I need to save money as well so some toys may go out and be sold on ebay or elsewhere.

1. Single-amen for that...

2. Not a completist, as I'm very picky about what I buy...

3. Can't sustain the buying spree. As a matter of fact, I'm behind in my collecting, as I still don't have the Koenig or the '48 CF...

1. not married but dating...which can get expensive as well.

2. not a completist in a sense where I have to buy every single macross related toy out there. but if I like a line ie 1/48 I will buy 1 of each. dont' limit myself to just macross stuff, I have a lot of spawn, ML, SW, FF and other random things.

3. i tend to have multiples of things and when I need extra cash flow, I sell them on ebay or something. I've been trying to get into trading, but the few deals I've done have always turned out bad for me ie things aren't in the condition promised etc.

"Sigh" single and living back with my sister of course the rent is cheaper which allowed me to claim my sixth and seventh Valks along with my fourth super-strike parts and the GBP-1S with a Millia Q-Rau on the way as soon as I send payment for it. :) I need a job that pays more than what Staples pays me. <_<

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Single but dating. Basically as long as my woman gets taken care of, she won't mind the toys.

I'm not a completist but I did cave and finally get a the last 1/48 that I needed to complete the line. Other than that I'll get what I like but I've been very disciplined lately....or at least disciplined for me. :D:p

I see no reason why I won't be able to continue buying what they put out. I'll probably have to buy less than I have been but I'll still get it.

Overtime and selling off unwanted stuff on eBay is the key for me

I'm single and my grilfriend doesn't care as long i'm not deep over my head.

I like buying several of each, I've bought atleast 3 of every yammy 1/60 and 1/48, and for the Bandai Re-issues had to get 4 of each there. I try to get more than 2 of each so i can put one up on display and keep the others in storage for safe keeping.

I used to buy a bit of everything but i'm concentrating on Macross and Soul fo Chogokin. Just started on the Chogokin and i didn't know there were so many variations oh well i'll be working on that for awhile.

Thank goodness theres always overtime available or scheduled :D

I'm guessing the girl in your avatar isn't your sister right? :p  :)

372472[/snapback]

Oh.... you are sooooo funny, even if that was my sister she is not. 1. she is not the right ethnicity, and 2. I would have been accused of incest as she tries to keep me from grabbing her boobs. Heh heh heh. :D:lol::p

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

1. Single

2. I am a completist. I wil get two each of the two new models of the 1/48, plus 12 VF-0S.

3. How do I sustain it? Work weekends, for everybody and sacrifice going to the gym, martial arts and movies etc. I spent $1500 AUD on my 21st last year, and can no way do that this year. When I hit my 22nd on the 23rd this month I won't do much at all but go for a day long ride on my bike (which is free! :D) to the beach, around the Swan River, and Perth City with my mates.

372279[/snapback]

Hey Kensei -

We have the same birthday... except I'm exactly 10 years older than you. Enjoy the day.

As for myself, I'm married, not a completist, and I only buy what I really like and have the extra cash to pick up. I usually get the extra dough from side jobs or weekend work.

1) married, but what really curbed my collecting was moving into a tiny apartment. I came to 2 realizations. One is that when you have less space you can't fill it up too much, or you end up looking like that "superman panhandler guy" featured one episode on the Daly Show. And two, actually being selective and picking only the best ones actually looks better on the shelf. I found that having a cluttered shelf just makes you lose appreciation for the details in one or a few items. I have a shelf of 1/60, one Rau and 2 VF-21's (waiting for a YF-19). I would die for a Regult though.

2) as mentioned above, not a completist

The other thing that curbs my spending is that I'm out of the country half the year with my job. http://www.vancouversportsphysio.blog.ca/ I still find ways to spend money though, and of all places, I'll be in Japan in 2 weeks. crazy

1) In a steady relationship for a little more than 4 yrs.. Along with school loans and macross.. I am up to my eyeballs in debt that I have to start paying off when I graduate this May as an MD. It's like having a mortgage but no house.

2) Not a completist.. in terms of just yamato, own 1 of each 1/72 and 1/48 except the original hikaru 1A.. but just recently picked an extra roy 1S and hikaru 1J for some gbp goodness.. going to snag 2 0S' hopefully.. passed on the 1/60 line but did pick up a 1/100 monster

3) Considering my huge debt, I figure a couple valk's here and there as drops in the proverbial bucket. I know its going to come back and bite me in the ass later on, but hey, I'm happy. Macross and the opposite sex are my only 2 vices in life.

1) In a steady relationship for a little more than 4 yrs.. Along with school loans and macross.. I am up to my eyeballs in debt that I have to start paying off when I graduate this May as an MD. It's like having a mortgage but no house.

2) Not a completist.. in terms of just yamato, own 1 of each 1/72 and 1/48 except the original hikaru 1A.. but just recently picked an extra roy 1S and hikaru 1J for some gbp goodness.. going to snag 2 0S' hopefully.. passed on the 1/60 line but did pick up a 1/100 monster

3) Considering my huge debt, I figure a couple valk's here and there as drops in the proverbial bucket. I know its going to come back and bite me in the ass later on, but hey, I'm happy. Macross and the opposite sex are my only 2 vices in life.

372491[/snapback]

Hey ValkJunkie who knew there would have been a Macrossworlder just north of me. And I can sympathize with you, I have some some debts to pay off too especially the 500 loan my sister gave to me to help finance my car back 2004 :)

Single but actively dating which as E_D is also costly.

I am an anti-completist! <_< Quality over quantity! I can afford buying multiples of the 1/48s but WTF for? :lol::rolleyes:

I fund it by saving and selling items that I do not "need". For the right price I can completely walk away from my various collections. Your mileage may vary but this works for me.

lastly, as much as I enjoy Macross there is a hell of a lot more to actually LIVING life than collecting/hoarding toys! :lol:

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I'm guessing the girl in your avatar isn't your sister right? :p  :)

372472[/snapback]

Oh.... you are sooooo funny, even if that was my sister she is not.

372477[/snapback]

If that was my sister I'd put her in a mini-dress, heels and put her on the streets. How else are you gonna' keep up with all of the stuff coming out in the next few months...

1) Single but dating. Fortunately for me (in the collecting sense only), our jobs keep us so busy I occasionally forget what my GF looks like. That means less spending money on her and we both have jobs that occasionally pay for our food and such.

2) I am a modified completist. I do not buy DYRL stuff. If it was shown in the TV show I probably own it. If it was only shown in DYRL then I don't own it. Saved me from buying three 1/48s and some pricey 1/55s and JMs. (Although I did breakdown and buy every version of the SuperO and Elint 'cause they're just too unique). I also am a completist as far as Mac7 and Mac+ goods. The only other toys I buy are MOSPEADA toys, I am a completist of those as well.

3) A nice job.

where i come from, housing and private transport is a killer. a 4-room flat (not renovated) with a surface area of about 100sq foot will average about S$250,000 which comes to about USD153,355.46 when converted using xe.com. A car obviously is not compulsory since singapore is only a single dot on the atlas and the routes are pretty well-linked. the price for renovation may ultimately come up to about 30 to 40 thousand depending on the theme of designs.

I am mentioning this cos I am about to get my keys to my new flat and after renovation and wedding banquet(which unfortunately is compulsory for some asian families)after this barrage of events, I am as good as a pauper living on the government's payroll. :( soonafter a baby will follow n when this happens, the opportunity cost of a 1/48 valk will be a month's supply of disposable diapers.

but there are some collectors (local & abroad) with very very deep pockets who will not bat an eyelid to splurge on amounts of epic proportion on macross stuff :blink:

The purpose of this thread is, hopefully for us, to learn as well as appreciate more about the cultures of mac collectors across the world. Everyone is unique and have our individual priorities in life. Presently, collecting 1/48 valks is one of my priority albeit not amongst the top cos I collect selective zoids as well. Guess i have to really control my urges and resist temptation or alternatively leave on a staple of plain rice & water on a regular basis to finance my expenditure on mac stuff.

Edited by feudallordcult

3. How do I sustain it?....go for a day long ride on my bike (which is free! :D) to the beach, around the Swan River, and Perth City with my mates.

372279[/snapback]

G'day Kensei! I hear ya. If we ever struggle for entertainment cash down under, our free sun and beaches always do the tricks.B)) If any neg about being in Australia is the freaking shipping cost. :angry:

372313[/snapback]

Too right! NIce to see another new Aussie. Welcome!

Hey Kensei -

We have the same birthday... except I'm exactly 10 years older than you. Enjoy the day.

As for myself, I'm married, not a completist, and I only buy what I really like and have the extra cash to pick up. I usually get the extra dough from side jobs or weekend work.

372481[/snapback]

Awesome! Enjoy your day tomorrow too! May your birthday be filled with lots of Macross! :D