Sniffing Glue

Spatula

So I've been doing much of my gluing and sanding of model parts down in my basement. I open up the window (a very small window about 12 inches high and about 7.5 feet from the basement floor) to get *some* air circulation.

Recently my parent's have been complaining about the smell of the glue and putty and saying how toxic it is.

They want me to pretty move much of my modeling stuff outside to the garage now where I do my airbrushing.

What type of environment do you do your work in? I personally love the basement, as my swivel chair can go from the computer to work desk in about 2 seconds. Plus I get my 40 some hours of various music to listen to. Damn. Looks like I gotta move.

I model in my bedroom, but modeling smells seem to get worse/affect me more every year---#1 reason I switched to acrylic paint. (That and cleanup). I'm going to try Tamiya's light-curing putty, and will hopefully find a better glue someday. (Non-toxic glue smells worse than any other glue IMHO, it's like super-hyper-orange-gasoline or something) Want to try Tamiya Extra-Thin cement for its welding properties, but "sampling" it in the store made me think twice--pretty intense fumes.

What sort of fan are you talking about?

Mind you my window is about a good 15 feet away from my workspace, and I've got my exercise equipment where the window is. It's a pain to move everything about.

I'm using Tamiya Cement in a bottle with the brush applicator.

For paints, I primarily use Tamiya Acrylics for air brush and Testors for weathering.

Humbrol has an intensely bad smell...

ok what you need for your window is ( this will require some handy work on your part but your a modler so it wont be a problem) ans extractor fan the type you can get from the builders merchants or diy store they are meant to go in Shower rooms or laundry rooms they are about 7 -8 inches by 7-8 inches with a lkong flexable hose on the end. they are supposed to be fixed in the wall or into the glass of the window then the flexable hose is routed usualy through the ceiling void to where you want to suck air out like above the shower. you can make a box area to sit on your work bench with the fan pipe attaced tot hte back of it and the other end can be at the window. the flexable fan pipe can be bought separately so you can make it quite long if needs be.

Put some thin foam spunge in front of it and you have a solids fillter for spraying with.

It is the sort of thing that is used all over Japan you can buy the proper thing made for the job but its cheaper to make it your self.

I`ll try and get some pictures for you.

big-F said. Make it yourself. I got rid of the one I made when we moved. I'd make one, but I'm using a respirator for now. I'm working on a six foot model of the Daedalus, and the first half of it is over three feet long. It'll hardly fit on my workbench! Superglue has less hazardous fumes or try Revell Contacta liquid cement in the mean time. It's thicker than the thinner stuff which means it doesn't become a gas cloud right away. I'm using it in MASS quantities in the house because I am gluing three and two millimeter thick sheets together; no problems with it floating into other rooms. Plus Contacta has a styrene filler (clear) in it which gives me an extra strong fillet in the corners; fills small gaps too. I used only a bit of the thin stuff the other day and my wife told me to put it away because it stank! I'd use superglue, but it won't give me the welding strength I need.

I mostly use non-toxic cement(microweld) and welding glues (mr.cement S and Tenax 7R), I do modeling in my bedroom and I wear the respirator only when I handle toxic paints and its thinner.

The smells of welding glues don't bother me much, I just try to don't keep the bottle under my nose.

Revell Contacta liquid cement

369517[/snapback]

The best thing Revell have ever made IMHO.

In the summer I can work in my outside workshop but in the winter I have to work inside in the office. this sucks as all the dust, paint and glue fumes get round the house.

Mostly I just glue stuff during the winter as this doesnt smell so much, but come the summer and its full steam ahead.

I must get round to sorting some heating and better insulation for the workshop.

You guys talk like sniffing the fumes is a bad thing LOL. I do glueing and sanding at the kitchen table. If I'm doing a lot of glueing it might get bad and I'll open up the windows but usually I'm glueing 1 or 2 pieces and then sanding and filling.

You guys talk like sniffing the fumes is a bad thing LOL.  I do glueing and sanding at the kitchen table.  If I'm doing a lot of glueing it might get bad and I'll open up the windows but usually I'm glueing 1 or 2 pieces and then sanding and filling.

369541[/snapback]

LOL :D

Me to last night at the kitchen table on my cutting board ,while my Pet Parrokeet watched. She likes to see what Im up to and usually wants to get involved.

I have a multi-purpose workbench. It used to be a kitchen table for like a huge pioneer family or something years ago because it's a monster. I'd only run into trouble if I was working on something longer than 12 feet and wider than four.

Now that I'm pretty much only painting 28mm miniatures... I have an awful lot of leftover space. All those years of kits and no space, and now I have space and no kits. Irony, people. It'll bite you in the end.

It's well ventilated but I do any spray clearcoating in a different room so my cat doesn't suffer brain damage. I figure I'm a lost cause already (mmm... testors glue) and the cat already runs into walls enough as it is.

Kitty needs a helmet.

When I putty something I put it outside and let it dry completely or overnight. The smell will be alot less when I sand it. The only problem with that is projects take forever to finish. Besides the glues, I think accelerators like zip kicker smell even worst.

glue smells?!?!? Who can tell with all this pot smoke... cough cough :rolleyes: .

I normaly glue with crazy gel [like crazy glue but stays where you put it instead of running down your arm]. No problems with fumes there. My paints are mainly citadel water based acrylics so no problem there. I apply my spray can primers and clear coat outside, not so much because of the fumes as overspray. Priming the lawn is one thing, priming the kitchen table is another :blink: . Only thing that realy bothers me is acetone. The wife's nail polish remover and nail polish will have me playing in the yard for hours just to get away from the smell.

for anybopdy who really has issues I suggest a pc case with a power supply, a useless motherboard, and a lot of fans. You can flip/mount fans to create a wind tunnel effect and vent the rear louvers to any ductwork or window you want. It's like a mini paint booth. I've only had to do it once for a friend making something he shouldn't have been with really toxic fumes.

for anybopdy who really has issues I suggest a pc case with a power supply, a useless motherboard, and a lot of fans. You can flip/mount fans to create a wind tunnel effect and vent the rear louvers to any ductwork or window you want. It's like a mini paint booth. I've only had to do it once for a friend making something he shouldn't have been with really toxic fumes.

371155[/snapback]

How simple. Wish I`d though of it. Yup Nailpolish and remover stinks to high heaven.

You should make the wife play in the yard while she puts it on.

Play in the yard. Yeah it was like forty somethin' outside today. That's the problem about being in England, the cold. I wouldn't trade it for the world though. The humidity was caramping my style and the days I could paint too!