In anticipation of KILL BILL Volume 1 & 2.

UN Spacy

some translations:

the bald dude working with sonny chiba/hattori says randomly"im not balding i shave my head" . the reason he says this is when sonny/hatorri is cussing at him in japanese he calls him a baldy...they didn't add that in the subtitles.

and there the part when lucy liu's gang go upstairs in that nightclub and are drinking. there is a pretty long dialgue among some drunken black mask dudes that no subtitles were added to. the guy on the floor drinking is tlaking about getting a BJ from an old lady.

some translations:

the bald dude working with sonny chiba/hattori says randomly"im not balding i shave my head" . the reason he says this is when sonny/hatorri is cussing at him in japanese he calls him a baldy...they didn't add that in the subtitles.

and there the part when lucy liu's gang go upstairs in that nightclub and are drinking. there is a pretty long dialgue among some drunken black mask dudes that no subtitles were added to. the guy on the floor drinking is tlaking about getting a BJ from an old lady.

Thanks 4 the info KK! How did you find this out?

I just saw the movie today and I was blown away and nearly laughed my ass off. That is the second movie I've seen directed by Taranitino, and it rocked. The only gripes I had were that the severing of limbs and stabbing was too exaggerated. It's like those people had a fire hose in them spraying blood all over the place. :lol: Can't wait till Volume 2. Great ending to Volume 1. That is the goriest movie I've ever seen. :o

some translations:

the bald dude working with sonny chiba/hattori says randomly"im not balding i shave my head" .  the reason he says this is when sonny/hatorri is cussing at him in japanese he calls him a baldy...they didn't add that in the subtitles.

and there the part when lucy liu's gang go upstairs in that nightclub and are drinking.  there is a pretty long dialgue among some drunken black mask dudes that no subtitles were added to.  the guy on the floor drinking is tlaking about getting a BJ from an old lady.

Thanks 4 the info KK! How did you find this out?

I'm guessing someone took their Japanese girlfriend to go see it. ;)

I saw it, loved it. Honestly was blown away by how good it was. But I think it helps that I really like cheesey Japanese and Chinese movies. Even with stupid crap like Godzilla I still get excited about seeing guys in rubber suits fight, so this movie was perfect for me.

I wasn't too bothered by the gore, since it was all done in a comic fashion. The few gross points I don't think were anything worse than what I'd seen before in previous Tarantino movies. But I was subjected to Natural Born Killers and A Clockwork Orange at a pretty young age, so I might have a different opinion than some.

Talking to two of my female friends (who are both pretty squemish), they both agreed they didn't like the violence and gore but still really liked the movie; suppose it depends on the person. Only thing that actually annoyed me whiel watching was teh snow in the final scene. It looked really cool, but it doesn't snow much in Tokyo and in earlier scenes there was no snow to be found. But... that's a dumb complaint. :p

Edited by yellowlightman

with all these comments about the violence,i found one thing that really surprised me.my girlfriend & her roommate went to see this movie after i gave it such a good review to her.both of them are recently emigrated from china.i warned her that it was kind of violent,but they went anyway.both girls absolutely loved it & want to go see it multiple times & maybe even pick up a copy on dvd.it surprised me very much,but then i wondered if they enjoyed cause this movie would probably be heavily cut or even banned all-together in china.seeing the real-deal was probably a treat for them.with all the negative comments about the violence,i am just glad we are lucky enough to be able to see the directors original vision w/o someone else making that decision for us

Only thing that actually annoyed me whiel watching was teh snow in the final scene. It looked really cool, but it doesn't snow much in Tokyo and in earlier scenes there was no snow to be found. But... that's a dumb complaint. :p

My sister was complaining about that too. I figured that O-ren has her own well funded private "Winter-time room". My sis concluded it was simply added because it looked nice and is a cliche used in many Japanese films (swordfight in snow) and was there for the hell of it.

I figured that O-ren has her own well funded private "Winter-time room". My sis concluded it was simply added because it looked nice and is a cliche used in many Japanese films (swordfight in snow) and was there for the hell of it.

That's a good point Jemster...

Kill Bill only opened here in HK on October 16th. I went to see it with my wife yesterday (Oct 19th). Gotta say, I loved it. I've always been a fan of gratuitous violence and sword fights, so this movie was perfect for me.

The Bride's sword fight against O-Ren-Ishii's gang was far better done than Neo's fight in Reloaded against the multiple Agent Smiths.

Definitely gonna buy Kill Bill on DVD when it comes out.

Anybody notice the wires holding up the 747, thought that was so funny along with all the passengers having katanas next to their seats.

Graham

Anybody notice the wires holding up the 747, thought that was so funny along with all the passengers having katanas next to their seats.

Didn't notice the 747, but I laughed because it was obviously a model. Even as it was landing it looked like the Tokyo cityscape is was passing overhead was a bunch of miniature buildings. A nod to Japanese tokusatsu movies? I dunno.

Each seat had a Kanata holder... I guess "Fly the Friendly Skies" is not that airlines motto. I think the wires were left on the plane intentionally, just like the bad editting in the Shaw-Scope opening. Saw it again, yesterday. Enjoyed it much more now. Funny thing is that both times I saw it it was empty in the theatres. And it was a weekend night both times.

Still couldn't enjoy the O-Ren showdown... But enjoyed the Crazy 88s even more this time. Gotta give it to the 5,6,7,8s too.

My friend just told me the black and white portion of the big fight near teh end was added because otherwise they weren't going to get an R rating. Supposedly it was shown in color in Asia, Graham can you confirm that?

I still need to see it again, haven't enjoyed a movie that much in quite some time...

Yep, the big fight near the end was all in color, no black and white bits at all.

Graham

Went to go and see it yesterday. In a word, GREAT!!!

However, I was kinda losely payin attention to the father and son that walked in to watch the movie... The kid couldn't have been more than 13... I was wondering if they were going to walk out at any point...

As to the fight at the end in black and white... All I can say is that the ratings board are hypocrates... Changing the colour to black and white is going to give you an R rating??? I want what they're smoking!

As to the fight at the end in black and white... All I can say is that the ratings board are hypocrates... Changing the colour to black and white is going to give you an R rating??? I want what they're smoking!

Yeah, it is BS but in the end I liked it. Anyone else notice how the music turned to an older style and got kinda scratchy during the black and white part? Personally when I first saw it I thought it was a homage to older samurai films. Guess I was wrong. :lol:

As to the fight at the end in black and white...  All I can say is that the ratings board are hypocrates...  Changing the colour to black and white is going to give you an R rating???  I want what they're smoking!

Yeah, it is BS but in the end I liked it. Anyone else notice how the music turned to an older style and got kinda scratchy during the black and white part? Personally when I first saw it I thought it was a homage to older samurai films. Guess I was wrong. :lol:

Well... It is an homage to early samurai films, so I guess it works out in the end.

Hopefully the DVD will have the fight sequence in full bloody colour!

That's pretty wierd, I figured the black and white stretch when she fought the Crazy 88's was just a part of the film style. An interesting touch actually. Curious how the DVD will come out.

Awesome movie. I liked the little touches in there, like the katana holders on the airplane. You could feel the anime influences scattered throughout the movie mixed in well with the homages to old school samurai flicks. Tarantino scored a winner with this one, I wish the second part would come out sooner. I used to not like Uma Thurman at all, but she managed to change my opinion of her some with the good performance she pulled off here.

I saw it this weekend. Pretty cool. Nothing that I haven't seen before but I liked it. How this movie got an R rating is beyond me lol

One problem. Not with the movie but with audience...what kind of parent brings their kid to to this movie? Like say a 7 year old?

Example SPOILER

when Lucy Liu(O-ren Ishii) got scalpled I heard the kid behind me "Daddy is she dead?" "Ya she's dead son" "See that's her brain, so she's dead"

One problem. Not with the movie but with audience...what kind of parent brings their kid to to this movie? Like say a 7 year old?

Easy. The kind of parent that's not a parent at ll but then will try to sue the film and video game industry should their child ever commit a violent crime. <_<

That's pretty wierd, I figured the black and white stretch when she fought the Crazy 88's was just a part of the film style. An interesting touch actually. Curious how the DVD will come out.

I vote the DVD will be unrated and that scene will have 2 angles. One in color and the other in black and white.

I saw it this past Saturday. I loved it. I was the only one cheering when they opened the movie with the Shaw Brothers theme song. It was a treat to see that opening the way it's meant to be seen. On a big ass widescreen.

Only gripe about the movie is not the B & W sequence (I think it was a nice touch), but the fact they didn't show much of Gordon Liu at all. I was hurt by that, As he kicks all types of ass.

Another gripe is in the audience. I sat next to a couple of ANALytical a-holes. Just like the comic book owner in the Simpsons. Criticizing left and right, up and down. I took offense when one guy was snoozing at the O-Ren Ishii origin. I elbowed the sucker and called him a jackass. And I have no regrets in doing that. Shoot. My views about it is to enjoy it when you see it in the theatre, and THEN criticize it when you see it in the privacy of your own home. It's people like them and the Nextel owners that are the reasons why I rarely go to the theatres

I guess I was lucky. No ANALytical jerks this time around. 28 Days later was the last time I ran into idiots like that. Only one cell phone went off, and a nicely desensitised crowd, who found a lot of stuff as humourous as me. Like when the Bride slammed the door on Buck the last time, or the decapitiation. I do agree that it isn't really a movie you take a young kid to see, but to each their own. As long as the kid is quiet it is not really any of my business.

I noticed too, that the blood did not start spraying like it did until you saw it in the Anime sequence first. After that was when it was all over the place. Interesting touch. I also liked seeing a few people do the battoujitsu bit using the sheath as a weapon as well. Don't see it too often.

I noticed too, that the blood did not start spraying like it did until you saw it in the Anime sequence first. After that was when it was all over the place. Interesting touch. I also liked seeing a few people do the battoujitsu bit using the sheath as a weapon as well. Don't see it too often.

Which is also one of its charms. This is the biggest Hollywood homage to Asian cinema ever. And it was extremely well done.

I love the choices of music, especially the Green Hornet theme song when the 88s were zooming around Tokyo. I'm familiar with The RZA's music, but I couldn't tell the difference between his compositions and the licensed tracks. That is awesome IMO.

Another nice touch would be the Respect list at the credits. With Kinji Fukusatsu on top.

And Gogo's a cutie :D

My friend just told me the black and white portion of the big fight near teh end was added because otherwise they weren't going to get an R rating. Supposedly it was shown in color in Asia, Graham can you confirm that?

I still need to see it again, haven't enjoyed a movie that much in quite some time...

Yeah, Quinton was on KROQ the other morning and was promoting the movie. While he didn't mention the R rating specifically he did mention that he had to do it for the U.S. audience.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the non-B/W version of that as it was an awesome scene!

I'm with you on seeing it again. I'll probably go this weekend with a friend or two if they can make it.

Well, I went to see this film with my friends (I knew I would). As expected, it was a typically Tarantino piece and as one of the few non-fans of his work - and it looks as though I'm the only one here :) - I really didn't think much of it. However, because nearly all my friends adore his work, I'm now once again honored with the mantel of having seen all of QT's films.

Since I haven't done one in a while, I felt like writing a review. Enjoy...or not.

Kill Bill Volume One (2003)

Genre: Live Action Film - Martial Arts Action

After almost four years on hiatus, Quetin Tarantino returns with his fourth film as director in Kill Bill Volume One. Split into two pictures for Tarantino's wish to keep the entire film uncut despite Miramax's urging, this first of two is undeniably "Tarantino" which is sure to please die hard fans of the independant director. In truth, Kill Bill is a jumble of classic action/martial arts film influences packaged as contemporary filmmaking.

Kill Bill follows the tradition of the martial arts action film, albeit a film which once again features Tarantino's merging of late era film styles and modern techniques. Uma Thurman plays the role of The Bride (her name remains unknown...occasionally masked with audio censor bleeps), a former assassion who, while pregnant, is nearly murdered on her wedding day. Four years after the unhappiest day of her life, The Bride wakes from her coma and begins a blood-splattered journey of revenge upon those who nearly killed her, most of whom are former associates. David Carradine stars as the ominous and as yet unseen assassin leader Bill, Lucy Lui plays assassin and Tokyo mafia queen O-Ren Ishii, and Vivica A. Fox plays killer-turned-housewife Vernita Green.

Once one watches the film, there is little left to guess when asking “What is Kill Bill?” The film is an homage to the martial arts action film genre...and it shows. While some audiences may be lost, it's hard not to recognize the obvious lineage of Kill Bill from kung fu films of the 1970's to fast paced anime (japanese animation). Indeed, Tarantino is so obvious with the inspiration for Kill Bill, a sequence by japanese anime company Production I.G. (Ghost in The Shell, Blood The Last Vampire) is dropped into the middle of the film, jarringly injecting the childhood history of O-Ren's character in an animated gore-fest.

To say Kill Bill is violent and graphic is to understate the presentation, but the film's violence is so outrageous and over-the-top, it's comical. In one of the movie's dud scenes, the last of a few dozen vanquished foes falls from the second floor only to land in a pool filled with blood (get it...blood-bath...uh yeah). Limbs are severed regularly, at which point entire septic tanks of blood spew from the dismembered victims like a fire hose. The influence for these blood fountains is clearly derived from stylized action animes and asian kung fu/crime films, but these displays are ridiculously silly rather than an entertaining homage. The plot, such as it is, grabs for as much style as it can get, but the film never makes any pretense. If you've seen the trailer, you'll understand Kill Bill is action/revenge flick and it takes no prisoners.

Kill Bill is enjoyable because of its vibrant and sympathetic heroine played wonderfully stoic and emphatically emotional by Thurman. The deadly deeds done by Thurman's Bride are brilliantly played against the terrible tragedies she has suffered. The action present in Kill Bill is a fan's dream, culminating the great anticipation of the preceeding scenes into kinetically powerful duels. While the many fights of the film are again derivative of the genre (think Hong Kong wire work), they indeed feel beautifully flawless and wildly chaotic at the same time.

The problem with Kill Bill is its own nature as an adulation to the martial arts/action genre. Kill Bill is so flashy, with homages so flaunting (that yellow jumpsuit is a dead give away to Bruce Lee in Game of Death), the film is made paltry by the fan boy-esque style. Most of the cast is given so little to work with that the film must indulge in grandstanding to craft the characterizations. Even Tarantino's normally interesting retro influences and vintage musical scores are overplayed here, escalating the films already tacky palette. Kill Bill may be a film that knows what it is and what it's meant to be, but that doesn't excuse its faults. Expect a violent, pedantic, post-modern homage to kung fu films and you'll enjoy Kill Bill. Expect any more, you can expect to feel cheated.

Rating: 5 out of 10. An average action movie made notable by the direction of retro violence king Quentin Tarantino. Knock yourself out.

Edited by Mr March

I saw it this past Saturday. I loved it. I was the only one cheering when they opened the movie with the Shaw Brothers theme song. It was a treat to see that opening the way it's meant to be seen. On a big ass widescreen.

Only gripe about the movie is not the B & W sequence (I think it was a nice touch), but the fact they didn't show much of Gordon Liu at all. I was hurt by that, As he kicks all types of ass.

I feel ya J rock. I definately could've used a little more Gordon Liu action as well. But he figures to play a prominent role in Vol 2. I'm atleast glad that he's finally been given his due after all these yrs. Most people don't realize that of all the martial arts stars in the past 30 yrs he's made better kung Fu films than any one else.

From reading some of the above posts, I get the impression that it is legal for kids to accompany their parents to watch 'R' rated films in the US. Is this correct?

Also, I'm not familiar with the US movie ratings system. Is 'R' the highest rating?

Here in HK, we have a different ratings system. Kill Bill is classed as a 'Category III' film which basically means no one under 18 is allowed in to see it and the cinema staff will check the I.D. at the entrance of anybody who looks under 18 and refuse them entry.

I'm certainly not squemish and the blood and violence in Kill Bill didn't bother me a bit, but it is certainly not a film a young child or perhaps even an impressionable young teen should be allowed to see IMO.

Graham

From reading some of the above posts, I get the impression that it is legal for kids to accompany their parents to watch 'R' rated films in the US. Is this correct?

Also, I'm not familiar with the US movie ratings system. Is 'R' the highest rating?

Here in HK, we have a different ratings system. Kill Bill is classed as a 'Category III' film which basically means no one under 18 is allowed in to see it and the cinema staff will check the I.D. at the entrance of anybody who looks under 18 and refuse them entry.

I'm certainly not squemish and the blood and violence in Kill Bill didn't bother me a bit, but it is certainly not a film a young child or perhaps even an impressionable young teen should be allowed to see IMO.

Graham

You are correct. There is one higher rating of NC-17 (Remember Showgirls?) which means basically NO CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 17! I remember in some interview Tarantino talked about a gang-rape scene which, after seeing the first part, may be in the second part. And a couple lines later, he said, "Get your 13 year old daughters to come see it!"

The guy is twisted to be sure.

Technically, there are a few higher ratings than R. NC-17 is one of them. I remember that Midnight Cowboy was rated X, although I'm not sure where X would be placed, or even if its used anymore.

I'm sure you know this but this is the ratings system in the US (Canada has its own thing).

G

PG

PG-13

R

NC-17

X (although I'm not sure it even exists and even where it goes)

However, since Kill Bill is R rated, a parent or guardian has to go with an underaged kid. Now if the kid pays a homeless person to... accompany them, well then it's the kids fault for sneaking in right? NO! BLAME CANADA! (if you don't get it, watch a certain movie with the title of South Park)

R rated movies you technically need a Parent or Gaurdian for anyone under 18. That does not mean your 18 year old friend can buy tickets for everyone, though it used to work a few yars ago when I was in high school. Theaters are starting to enforce that more now under pressure from above. If you are 21 you can buy tickets for anyone you feel like and they can't say beans, so long as you go in the theatre with the others. Apparently the theatre I went to had a big problem with Kill Bill as had a sign up behind the cashier explaining the policy on R movies. It was kind of funny.

R rated movies you technically need a Parent or Gaurdian for anyone under 18.  That does not mean your 18 year old friend can buy tickets for everyone, though it used to work a few yars ago when I was in high school.  Theaters are starting to enforce that more now under pressure from above.  If you are 21 you can buy tickets for anyone you feel like and they can't say beans, so long as you go in the theatre with the others.  Apparently the theatre I went to had a big problem with Kill Bill as had a sign up behind the cashier explaining the policy on R movies.  It was kind of funny.

I think the Columbine Shooting had a big effect on the movie industry, before that I could walk up and buy a ticket for an R rated movie when I was 14 or younger, but after peopel starting blaming everything on violence in movies and video games it got tougher.

Edited by yellowlightman