Macross At New York Toy Fair

Harlock Fan

Well, this is interesting to come back to.

I'll skip the doll, but if the quality on the 1/100's is decent, I'd consider buying one even at retail just to have a better 1/100 than the old chunky-monkey version.

Better still if they do a SDF:Macross (TV) Max 1A.

If they make destroids or Zentradi mecha in scale, so much the better. But I'm betting Toynami doesn't really know how to make stuff that isn't based on existing toys. Thus these are scaled-up banpresos just as the MPCs were scaled-up HCMs.

I think 1/100 would be fun for all kinds of mecha. Things that I would not consider buying in bigger scales I would like to see in 1/100.

For example a simple zentradi fighter pod would be a good start. Does not transform, (no risk of parts not fitting nicely together) doesn't look like it would break easily based on its shape, and not many moving parts (apart from the landing gear things on the underside), so no risk of 'loose limbs' that you get with robots.

fighterpod.jpg

You could have a mock space battle between 1/100 vf1 and these. (there always has to be a bad guy to fight)

I would buy stuff like this in small scale because although they don't seem very important, (the valk is the real star of the mecha show) when placed next to other stuff like the vf1, it just makes for nice overall display. And the matching scale and cheap price makes the toy more easily collectible for people who want a variety of things.

The way I figure, I really wouldn't want a highly detailed fighter pod the way I want a detailed valk, since in the show it didn't really look like a complex machine that required one anyway.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well, this is interesting to come back to.

I'll skip the doll, but if the quality on the 1/100's is decent, I'd consider buying one even at retail just to have a better 1/100 than the old chunky-monkey version.

Better still if they do a SDF:Macross (TV) Max 1A.

If they make destroids or Zentradi mecha in scale, so much the better. But I'm betting Toynami doesn't really know how to make stuff that isn't based on existing toys. Thus these are scaled-up banpresos just as the MPCs were scaled-up HCMs.

393681[/snapback]

They did mention on other sites during toyfair that one of the big reasons for doing the `1/100 line was the notion of doing enemy mecha. I do believe destroids were mentioned too.

Exactly. And they could make them super posable (but don't deform them) because they are simpler mecha. Definately make those knees completely bendable.

For destroid: they could include little accessories like the baton for the spartan

For zentradi male power armor: posable hands to hold guns

Regult: have detachable weapons: (ie missile pack)

I've always wanted to have like a bunch of those regult in dramatic poses in a group. Maybe one Glaug in the front.

For the Glaug: include a glaug booster.

Maybe for UN spacy they could do those fighters in the ARMD that got thier asses kicked at the start of the show.

• 2 weeks later...

This is cool:

Each 12” scale figure will be correctly sized to character's proportion and height (for example, Roy will be approximately 1” taller than Hikaru). Comes with bonus collector's insignia patch and dogtag with chain.

Haha, no use calling it a 12" scale figure if it's gonna be 13". WHy not just say 1/6 scale.

A little tiddly bit -

Once upon a time Toynami announced it was going to make Macross Saga superposeable destroids. There was no mention of a scale for the superposeables but I would guess they'd be much smaller than 1/55... perhaps 1/100? Toynami might already have molds to do 1/100 destroids.... or molds that might be adjusted to make them.

• 2 weeks later...

No way I'm getting the "Man doll"!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'd rather get another 1/48 Valk ....

:lol:

401936[/snapback]

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I've been wanting accurate character sculpts of the Macross cast for over 20 years. Macross is FAR more than just transforming planes, IMHO.

I'm actually surprised how little buzz there is around here for the 1/6 line. It's sad, really, as this news has me far more excited than some 1/48 repaints. :unsure::blink:

I'm actually surprised how little buzz there is around here for the 1/6 line. It's sad, really, as this news has me far more excited than some 1/48 repaints.  :unsure:  :blink:

401966[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. The last thing I want is yet another VF-1, in any scale, in any variety. I'm looking quite forward to the 1/6 figures... a little variety will be nice. B))

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I've been wanting accurate character sculpts of the Macross cast for over 20 years. Macross is FAR more than just transforming planes, IMHO.

Although not much of a doll collector, I think these look great. For me the appeal of macross goes beyond just the mecha even though that originally what drew me to it.

I guess there are just too many things on the shopping list right now.

Tempted to get Stealth and just the other day ended up getting some macross books and milia figures. Shame these are being ignored because they look fantastic and just like in the anime. As a fan I'd buy it, but for some reason I have always been more a mecha freak so the mecha toys have always got most of the attention. But it is good to see that after 20 years the hardcore fans are getting what they want which is really acurate toys, dolls, figures etc of the characters. These look good.

Misa, Milia and Roy I reckon should be done next if they get that far imo.

I went ahead and preordered Wave 1 and 2 from BBTS.com . I have heard good and bad thigns about Toynami, and have read some of your guys posts but I am going to give them a chance. Besides the price isn't so bad and from what I have seen I like them.

As for the 12 inch (1/6) figures they do look nice but just not my thing really. However when/if they do an 1/6 Miria...you can be sure I will get it.

Edited by AC Starscream

No way I'm getting the "Man doll"!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'd rather get another 1/48 Valk ....

:lol:

401936[/snapback]

I'm actually surprised how little buzz there is around here for the 1/6 line. It's sad, really, as this news has me far more excited than some 1/48 repaints. :unsure::blink:

401966[/snapback]

Dude, I agree it is nice to get something "other" than valkyrie mecha related to Macross. But the cost is pretty high!!!

Actually, ARII released six different 1/6 PVC Macross character figures several years back. They were pretty nice. I think they had planned on releasing 12 of them, but only 6 got made. You can probably find 'em on eBay if you look around. As I recall, they were priced pretty reasonably ... not friggin $79.99!!

Plus, look what happened to Toynami's bust series: they made 3 of 'em, then cancelled the rest due to poor sales. Same could happen here: they say they will make more, but always reserve the right to bail out - thus disappointing collectors. Hell, what the heck happened to Robotech the Shadow Chronicles?!?

<_<

Anyways, like someone else said earlier: "remember, it IS Toynami".

:)

Edited by Vermillion21

One must admit that these 1/100 offerings look considerably better than the MPC versions they foisted on an unsuspecting fandom (so glad I discovered Yamato before buying from Toynami). However, the one thing that really bugs me about these toys is the lack of a transparent canopy and cockpit interior.

At 1/100, having a non-opening canopy with a modest cockpit to add a bit of visual interest would have been quite doable and added very little to the production costs... heck, they could have left the interior in a solid grey color and it still would have looked better than the solid, light blue, cheap-out they decided on (if the toy hasn't been shown with a clear canopy by this point, it's a certainty that what we've seen thus far is the final version).

The endless regurgitation of variations of the VF-1 design in toy form from different manufacturers is wearing rather thin. Do we really need yet another Valkyrie at this point? Therefore, the only way I see myself buying any of these is if I can score one at less than retail (probably a CF or Max 1A or a Hikaru 1J) as a singular unit, and not MSRP for a three pack...who needs three of these things? And then, only to act as an accompaniment to my VB-6 KM.

Now, if they would only produce Destroids and enemy Mecha, in this scale, I'd be all over them (depending on the price vs. quality quotient). I'd love to see a 1/100 Mac II with full articulation, but that is just wishful thinking.

Edited by mechaninac

Oh well...at least it has a stand which can hold it in all modes....

402460[/snapback]

The only reason I'd pick up one (maybe two) of these is to have them stand next to my 1/100 Koenig Monster. Ever since I got my 1/60 VF-0S last week, I've been obsessed with displaying toys together in the proper scale. The non-clear canopy does bug me, but I'm hoping these hold together better than the Banprestos...

Now, if they would only produce Destroids and enemy Mecha, in this scale, I\'d be all over them (depending on the price vs. quality quotient).  I\'d love to see a 1/100 Mac II with full articulation, but that is just wishful thinking.

402510[/snapback]

1/100 Monster.

**Sigh**

Let\'s hope they (Toynami) come through and deliver a quality product. Of course, this rendition of the VF-1 will not come free of follies, but at least it will be something new and compact.

My desk could use a couple of nice display pieces.

Can we invoke a rule against complaining about new products especially before they are released. For the love of Christ people, we're getting something new that we didn't even ask for. If it sucks, who cares, we never asked for it and we won't spend money on it. That means, we should just be happy because if it's cool we have one more cool thing to spend our money on.

No complaints here. I just want these 1/100s.

I think most consumers of the Toynami - Robotech / Macross line are just expressing a bit of discontent of previous releases. We can\'t blame them for not being wary of what\'s to come. Hopefully, we will be surprised and content with these new VFs.

Dude, I agree it is nice to get something "other" than valkyrie mecha related to Macross.  But the cost is pretty high!!!

402062[/snapback]

I'm definitely with you on the pricepoint of these, but then again similar quality 1/6 figures from Medicom and Hot Toys go for almost DOUBLE that $80 cost. And even the somewhat more affordable line of 12" figures from Sideshow Collectibles (Star Wars, LOTR, etc.) are still around $50-$70. :huh::( I've come to realize over the years that just about anything Macross doesn't come cheap. There was a time when I nearly had a heart attack about being charged $80 for a VF toy (oh, my poor 1/60 Roy VF-1S Strike, you were just the beginning of the murder on my wallet). Now I'm dropping $200+ on a Super Stealth 1/48 without feeling as shocked. :unsure:

As you point out, this is Toynami we're talking about, so I definitely am worried about this line. My biggest fear is that I've seen very little discussion about it...and that just may lead to a lack of sales, and thus a cancellation of the line. I'm hoping to at least get Hikaru, Max and Roy before something like that happens. But I would absolutely go nuts for a quality Miria, Misa or Minmay figure. Oh hell, give me Claudia and Global. And the Zentradi... And... :drool:

Thanks for reminding me about the ARII PVCs. I was looking for Misa in her bridge uniform and Hikaru in his TV flight suit for the longest time. I had given up about a year ago due to several dead-ends. You've inspired me to keep up the search.

*new item is announced*

MWer: this sucks, i haven't seen it but i know its going to be a POS...

*pics are posted*

MWer: see that crap, i told you it would suck, look at the head sculpt, plus the hands are too small...BTW, wheres my YF-19 w/FP's!

*item is released*

MWer: even though i know its going to suck, i'm gonna buy it, 2 of them...

*receives item*

MWer: well how do i start? the QC sucks, the item sucks, everything sucks, all i have is complaints. i knew from the start it would suck but they held a gun to my head and forced me to buy it, damn them! but you know, its still kind of cool....

its unfortunate that thats the scenerio here everytime a new item is annonuced, and it doesn't even have macross related. :lol::rolleyes::p

*new item is announced*

MWer:  this sucks, i haven't seen it but i know its going to be a POS...

*pics are posted*

MWer:  see that crap, i told you it would suck, look at the head sculpt, plus the hands are too small...BTW, wheres my YF-19 w/FP's!

*item is released*

MWer:  even though i know its going to suck, i'm gonna buy it, 2 of them...

*receives item*

MWer:  well how do i start?  the QC sucks, the item sucks, everything sucks, all i have is complaints.  i knew from the start it would suck but they held a gun to my head and forced me to buy it, damn them!  but you know, its still kind of cool....

its unfortunate that thats the scenerio here everytime a new item is annonuced, and it doesn't even have macross related.  :lol:  :rolleyes:  :p

402580[/snapback]

I wept when I saw the 1/15 Garland which happens to resemble my kids old BigWheel bike.

If these toynami's are better than banpresto for small scale valks I will be content. I won't be pissing my pants, but I will be happy. In fact I was hoping that higher qaulity versions were going to be attempted of those since it means you can get sets of vf1 from tv and dyrl easy.

I don't think many people can justify paying a huge price for stuff like MPC if the QC wasn't up to snuff. If you want accuracy and details the yamato's have dominated for the collector market. It might be better to try to get a low cost equivalent of a PT vf1 out there for the casual fans of macross who wouldn't buy expensive stuff.

This fills up that gap: those who wanted a PT vf1 but not pay an arm and leg for it, and who although they liked the super posables, really wanted a true variable fighter to display. (not just robot mode)

If toynami can somehow pull off a line of PT mospeada legioss (not masterpiece) which are something between the super posable and these PT banpresto clones, I will be happy. :D

If these toynami's are better than banpresto for small scale valks I will be content. I won't be pissing my pants, but I will be happy. In fact I was hoping that higher qaulity versions were going to be attempted of those since it means you can get sets of vf1 from tv and dyrl easy.

I don't think many people can justify paying a huge price for stuff like MPC if the QC wasn't up to snuff. If you want accuracy and details the yamato's have dominated for the collector market. It might be better to try to get a low cost equivalent of a PT vf1 out there for the casual fans of macross who wouldn't buy expensive stuff.

This fills up that gap: those who wanted a PT vf1 but not pay an arm and leg for it, and who although they liked the super posables, really wanted a true variable fighter to display. (not just robot mode)

If toynami can somehow pull off a line of PT mospeada legioss (not masterpiece) which are something between the super posable and these PT banpresto clones, I will be happy.  :D

403345[/snapback]

Bring on more new mospeada toys!!!!

:)

• 3 months later...