Macross At New York Toy Fair

Harlock Fan

These new TOYNAMI valks look cool but they just don't cut it for me anymore. I rather be spending my money on YAMATO valks. That HIKARU figure, I might have to think about, though  :) .

379533[/snapback]

you mean spend 120+ on 1 valk as appose to 3 smaller detailed valks for 60 bucks? I think I'ma buy them just because they are cheap! :D:p:lol:

I'm all for cheap Macross, especially with Yamato throwing out so much stuff, its not even summer yet and I gotta buy 1/48 GBP and at least one of the two "limited" valks AND possibly the 1/60 VF-0S. Man, now we got a low-vis GBP too. Not that I'm complaining Yamato; where's my transforming SDF-1 (TV and DYRL editions please)!!!

Well, these 1/100 versions are certainly no Yamatos from the looks of it; but at $20 apeice, you can't beat that with a stick. The raised Skull & x-bones on the heat shields are a nice touch. But I agree with an earlier-made comment: the opaque canopies in fighter mode are pretty cheesy; c'mon Toynami, it's 2006--you can do better than that?

Wasn't the comment made earlier that these seem to be knock-offs [oh, excuse me. that's such an ugly word] or "inspired" by the Banpresto Valkyries? Certainly does look it. What scale are the Banprestos?

It would be nice to finally get some enemy mecha, regardless of who produces them. Nice that BBTS is offering them [the VF's] in sets. But hey! Where's Kakizaki's?! :angry: It's nice to think I could get nearly all of Skull Sqn for $60, when that won't even get me a set of armor for my one Yamato 1S Roy. It'll be cool to see how these look next to my old Exo Squad Regult, since they seem to be closest to corresponding in scale.

Edited by reddsun1

Wasn't the comment made earlier that these seem to be knock-offs [oh, excuse me. that's such an ugly word] or "inspired" by the Banpresto Valkyries? Certainly does look it. What scale are the Banprestos?

There is no scale given so its a guess.

The presto's were admired for thier sculpt and cheapness, (and I like thier posability) but they fall apart unless you remedy thier loose joints.

They are essentially a pocket valk that you can take anywhere. Some have expressed they wish quality versions of them were made. Looks like these are an attempt to try to compete against them (the swing bar and ball joints area giveaway) for those who like the small scale stuff.

I personally think they will be nice display near a VB6 monster because of the scale. I'm going to wait for review of them first though. I didn't like the superposables all that much mainly because I like PT toys and also the SP have funny proportion. (looks like the head of these 1/100 is from the SP?) Hopefuly these will be a nice middleground between posability and PT that you usually get from the bigger toys.

I guess you could say the SP were more like an action figure with comic book shape for dramatic flair, while the prestos look more like posable mecha. (no screwing around with the shape or exagerating certain features. ie shrinking or enlargment of parts to make it more humanoid) The one thing the banprestos had going for them was the idea of the removable heads that you can swap from A J S, so you could paint a cheap CF and make it custom 1S if you wanted. Or maybe make your own stealth 1J :D to go with the yamato. The cheapness of them allows for that fooling around with it that you would not normally attempt on a more expensive toy.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

They should release a third set that is Kazizake's VF-1A, Max's VF-1S, and Hikaru's VF-1S. That way there you could have every DYRL valk. I don't collect anything DYRL but it'd be cool to see a company finally do the full DYRL assortment (mainly max's 1S and kazizake's).

The Hikki doll has a nice head design but I am a little concern about his boys down between his crotch for gasping fresh air...looks a little tight, don't you think? :p

It looks awesome but is there ANY chance we'll get da Flight Suit/Helmet as an accessory in the future?

The still need to fix the turtleneck underneath. Noel, do you know if that's close to the final product?

Do not forget this is TOYNAMI. 

The same company that uses the term MASTERPIECE to describe FLOPPY LEGGEDED, QC plagued, poorly painted, cheeply made, cheep looking, atrocious POS-and then have the nerve to charge what they do.  When a company puts 1/100 of the energy into the toy that they put into the box,  there should be red flags.

And did I read that these toys are cheap?  Anyone see the tag on the Hikaru?  Sheesh. 

I hope TOYNAMI goes under soon, and HG hired Yamato to make some real toys.  Otherwise, their new project is doomed before it even gets off the ground.  They need the 3rd party products to keep this series afloat.  And TOYNAMI is NOT the company to do it. 

Not to mention that the BETA FIGHTER is taking them what?  2 years to release?  I bet you money it will be a wonderful toy.  As long as you never take it out of its box. 

Way to go HG.  Keep it up.

371621[/snapback]

Hi

This is interesting.

Sombody explain this to me:

Why and who Toynamy is releasing DYRL based stuff? They have already done this whit the super possables.

Maybe it's just the photo, but Lick's fleshtone doesn't match between his face and hands.  Otherwise, it looks excellent.

381810[/snapback]

He's got jaundice! LOL!

Edited by Die, Alien Scum!

You know, if they made the wings a bit longer and used a clear plastic windshield with a 1/60 style cockpit, I'd be impressed. I think that knowing toynami they'll do the alpha's and that's when this line will get interesting.

The Hikaru doll is f***ing creepy. Ever see the movie poltergeist with the boy who had that clown doll ? Yeah, that's why males shouldn't own dolls. When little Hikaru is holding a little knife to your throat when you wake up in the middle of the night don't come crying to me, because I told you so. I hope Chucky kicks his ass, steals his veritech and both his women.

They will be off the charts! From collectors for collectors, no details will be overlooked nor production efforts spared in getting the perfect rendition of our favorite VF-1 pilots (utilizing Haruhiko Mikimoto's character line-art)! Some of the features will include the skull emblem patch and miniature zipper in the blue utility uniform as well as the accurate productions of the pilot suit, harness & helmet. All this and yet without the high Japanese price tag. R.A.H. watch out; here comes our Hyper Realistic Series figures!

The blue suit is far from perfect though and can be easily fixed if they just put a damn tutle neck on it.

What's with the scarf?

MI_5a.jpg

Edited by >EXO<

They will be off the charts! From collectors for collectors, no details will be overlooked nor production efforts spared in getting the perfect rendition of our favorite VF-1 pilots (utilizing Haruhiko Mikimoto\'s character line-art)! Some of the features will include the skull emblem patch and miniature zipper in the blue utility uniform as well as the accurate productions of the pilot suit, harness & helmet. All this and yet without the high Japanese price tag. R.A.H. watch out; here comes our Hyper Realistic Series figures!

The blue suit is far from perfect though and can be easily fixed if they just put a damn tutle neck on it.

What\'s with the scarf?

MI_5a.jpg

382531[/snapback]

Hikaru wears the scarf, in the episodes where him and Misa are back on earth looking for survisors and rumaging for food. It would be awesome if Hikaru came with a spring loaded waist, just like He-Man. Then once Popbox make the Minmei doll, you can re-enact the scene where Hikaru slaps Minmei into her senses (one of the best action scenes EVER)!

I wonder if there will be a Misa in her Bridge Bunny suit?

They will be off the charts! From collectors for collectors, no details will be overlooked nor production efforts spared in getting the perfect rendition of our favorite VF-1 pilots (utilizing Haruhiko Mikimoto\'s character line-art)! Some of the features will include the skull emblem patch and miniature zipper in the blue utility uniform as well as the accurate productions of the pilot suit, harness & helmet. All this and yet without the high Japanese price tag. R.A.H. watch out; here comes our Hyper Realistic Series figures!

What\'s with the scarf?

MI_5a.jpg

382531[/snapback]

Hikaru wears the scarf, in the episodes where him and Misa are back on earth looking for survisors and rumaging for food. It would be awesome if Hikaru came with a spring loaded waist, just like He-Man. Then once Popbox make the Minmei doll, you can re-enact the scene where Hikaru slaps Minmei into her senses (one of the best action scenes EVER)!

I wonder if there will be a Misa in her Bridge Bunny suit?

382541[/snapback]

Movies don't have episodes!

And with those man dolls re-enactment, you can stop forcing your wife to play that out with you! ;)

j/k

no wives were harmed during the re-enactment of that scene.

I know the scarf is all wrong it should be a turtle neck!

It might be hard to design a turtle neck to look the right way but any turtle neck is better than that.

There is the problem of the entire turtle neck fitting under the jump suit correctly. A dicky could been used. Maybe that's what they are tying witht he scarf but it just looks wrong. Instead were gonna be forced to track down loose 1/6 turtle necks to modify.

The turtle neck aspect will show in the final product.

Noel

383300[/snapback]

Noel, if you are in touch with the guys making these figures, tell them that the stripe on Hikaru's flight suit denotes his rank and is not a name tag! I'm sure they'll come to this realization when they do Focker or any other higher ranking officer. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I will say this: Even though it is HG product, it has three things going for it:

1. It is under the Macross name.

2. They look pretty decent (even though I'm not sure I like the molded-on skull on the heatshield of the valks or the opaque canopy)

3. Say what you will, that 12-inch Hikaru is light-years beyond that Robotech abomination from 1985 (with the un anime features and hockey hair :rolleyes: )

If they come to the local Toys R Us, I fear my wallet may open for them.

Maybe it's just the photo, but Lick's fleshtone doesn't match between his face and hands.  Otherwise, it looks excellent.

381810[/snapback]

At least Hikaru's not flourescent pink like the old Adm. Lick ;)

Edited by Pat Payne