Fanracer animation at end of SDF Macross Special

ewilen

Egan Loo writes in the liner notes of the Animeigo release of SDF Macross (Disk 1) that the first two episodes of the series were originally shown together as a one hour Macross Special, with a unique opening animation (designed not to give away the secret of transforming Valkyries), commercial eyecatch, and closing animation. The closing animation shows Hikaru flying his fan racer.

Does anyone know if these extra bits appear anywhere in the 9 disks of the Animeigo release? They don't appear on Disk 1, and Animeigo's site doesn't have any pointers via Easter eggs, etc.

The Hikaru closing animation does appear in the Robotech Perfect Collection version of eps. 1-2, although I don't think the other extras do. The animation isn't very special--Hikaru is just flying straight and level in the light of the setting sun--but being a completist I'm loathe to dispose of the videotape if there's no replacement.

Edited by ewilen

Nope, nowhere on the AnimEigo set. What I'd actually reccomend doing is picking up the 20th anniversary DVD. Included is the Fanracer ending (though not the alternate intro), and the SD intro. I'd reccomend getting the R2 version, but if you don't have an all region player, the HK is fine.

That special combination of episodes 1 and 2 is on my HK set. I don't even think that episode had an opening, but I could check. It also had a different eyecatch, one that said Macross Special. The endings nothing much. Fanracer flying against a sunset rocking back and forth. At least it was animation. The one with the guy flipping pages is wierd.

That special combination of episodes 1 and 2 is on my HK set. I don't even think that episode had an opening, but I could check. It also had a different eyecatch, one that said Macross Special. The endings nothing much. Fanracer flying against a sunset rocking back and forth. At least it was animation. The one with the guy flipping pages is wierd.

That's no guy, that's Misa!

Nope, nowhere on the AnimEigo set. What I'd actually reccomend doing is picking up the 20th anniversary DVD. Included is the Fanracer ending (though not the alternate intro), and the SD intro. I'd reccomend getting the R2 version, but if you don't have an all region player, the HK is fine.

Keith isn't doing so hot this evening.

That ending you speak of does exist on the Animego set. It is at the end of episode 36, I am 90% sure of this.

That ending you speak of does exist on the Animego set. It is at the end of episode 36, I am 90% sure of this.

And yet you're 100% wrong! The end of episode 36 is the standard ending animation with the Minmay version of Runner.

What do you meant that's Misa? Her voice actress?

What do you meant that's Misa? Her voice actress?

No, her character. It's an early incarnation of the scene later on in the series where she flip's through Hikaru's photo album. I believe the liner notes said in actuality, it was one of the staff secretaries.

And yet you're 100% wrong! The end of episode 36 is the standard ending animation with the Minmay version of Runner.

Ahhhhhhhh.

Your right, however I know THAT ending is on the Animego set... Somewhere. It may be hidden. I am going to check it out.

Ahhhhhhhh.

Your right, however I know THAT ending is on the Animego set... Somewhere. It may be hidden. I am going to check it out.

Check all you like, it's not there. The only extra's are:

-Director's interview seperate commentary track in episode's 35-36

-Egan Loo liner notes

-Lithograph for pre-orders

-image gallery on disc 8

-promo footage (unremastered) on disc 9 (I think, maybe it was on 8 though).

-Color test patter on all disc's.

The liner notes say it's a Tatsunoko employee doing the page flipping, but doesn't give a name.

Incidentally, the voice actress for Misa also did the voice for Lana Isavia (Nova Satori) in Southern Cross.

Thanks to all you guys for the info and suggestions.

The liner notes say it's a Tatsunoko employee doing the page flipping, but doesn't give a name.

Incidentally, the voice actress for Misa also did the voice for Lana Isavia (Nova Satori) in Southern Cross.

She also did Hoquet in Mospeada, Naoko Akagi in Evangelion, Jet's ex-girlfriend in Cowboy Bebop, and many many others.

Oh. (Wandering way off topic for a bit) do you know who in Macross is played by the voice actress for Marie Angel/Crystal? Because I saw her in both Perfect Memory and in the SC TIA book...

(Back on topic.) I forgot to mention that I really like the song, "Runner".

She also did Hoquet in Mospeada, Naoko Akagi in Evangelion, Jet's ex-girlfriend in Cowboy Bebop, and many many others.

Don't forget Megumi Takani in Rurouni Kenshin. :)

who in Macross is played by the voice actress for Marie Angel/Crystal? Because I saw her in both Perfect Memory and in the SC TIA book...

Found the answer: Mizukura Kumiko played both Marie Angel in SC and Linn Shigeyo, Minmay's mother, in Macross.

Don't forget Megumi Takani in Rurouni Kenshin. :)

And Naoko Akagi in Eva...I guess getting called an old lady for the second time really proved to be the breaking point...

I have an original VHS copy of Macross Special with eps 1 and 2. And it has the fanracer ending, but the normal opening. I kinda want to see the original episode 1 version...

I was really shocked and upset the fanracer ending and Macross Special eye catch is NOT on the Animeigo DVD box set because it IS on the Robotech Perfect Collection #1 VHS issued by Streamline Pictures and Harmony Gold. It's the only reason I still have that tape. I thought I was only one who noticed this. Still, there's no alternate opening on the CHS release either.

There's a good reason for that. When Animeigo was doing thier remaster from film, they only opening they could find on film was the credit-less version that's on the DVDs. That's it. No spoiler-less opening, and no fanracer closing.

The 'perfect edition' tapes, on the other hand, are subbed from the Macross laserdisc box set. And on the LD box, episodes 1 and 2 are Macross Special, not the original, seperately-aired episodes. So that's why it has the fanracer closing.

Be that as it may, and admittedly in a small way, Animeigo dropped the ball on this one. How much trouble would it have been to use the material off the LD? Or even videotapes, if necessary for the first airing opening? Even if it couldn't be brought up to the quality of the transfers from film, I'm sure all Macross afficionados would have preferred to have the "special" material included.

Be that as it may, and admittedly in a small way, Animeigo dropped the ball on this one. How much trouble would it have been to use the material off the LD? Or even videotapes, if necessary for the first airing opening? Even if it couldn't be brought up to the quality of the transfers from film, I'm sure all Macross afficionados would have preferred to have the "special" material included.

Bottom line is, video wise, AnimEigo could only use what HG handed them, and unfortunately those weren't included.

Bottom line is, video wise, AnimEigo could only use what HG handed them, and unfortunately those weren't included.

Which is odd, since both the first epsiode opening at the fanracer ending are on the Robotech Perfect Collection Vol. 1...

Just popped the DVD in to see if the opening really was different, and you guys were right. But it did show the transformation sequence of the Valerie. Were you talking about not showing the transformation of the Macross? For the special (which is the worst looking of all the episodes on this set, which is just an LD rip. It still looks nice, but the others look better compared ot this one), it shows the whole hitting Earth deal, then it shows the special opening. Here are the changes I noticed:

-After the Valkeries transform into GERWALK mode, it cuts to the bridge bunnies doing something. It's just some clips from the show. Sammie stands up covering her mouth, Vanessa typing then talking, Misa and Claudia looing at each other. Then it cuts to the side view of the GERWALK on the ground, transforms, rolls, etc as normal. This happens at about 3:15 (from the start of the episode). Kind of wierd to cut that out.

-After that part, which is the part on the song where the dude says "will you love me tomorrow?," it show's a different clip of Hikaru in the characters montage. Usually, it's him in his pilot suit, but instead it's him in his orange jump suit thing from his fan racer. THis happens round 3:28.

-Macross is shown lifting off as usual, then it fires it's cannon. Then, when it's supposed to show Hikaru's valkerie spinning and unloading it's rifle, it shows show the orange Valkerie from the first episode flying off intot he distance in space. Happens around 3:47.

-Ends with a big still picture of the Macross in space (still in normal mode) above the Earth.

Let me take some screen captures to show the different parts :)

Here's Sammy

post-2-1065356201.jpg

One of Vanessa. By the way, I shrunk these to half there size so they wouldn't be so huge. No quality loss. If anything, Quality was gained.

post-2-1065356293.jpg

Misa and Claudia.

post-2-1065356334.jpg

Different shot of Hikaru.

post-2-1065356379.jpg

Valkerie flying into the distance. Yeah, I got a bad shot of this one :( Sorry. You can still see the Valkerie though. It just flies off into space and disappears.

post-2-1065356483.jpg

And the last one of the shot of Macross in space, replacing the Valkerie turning and shooting. Just intergrate those into the normal opening :p Now if you excuse me, I got to go set up for a garage sale.

One last edit. If anyone wants, I can post a screenshot of the special's version of the eye catch. I haven't seen teh Animeigo set so I don't know if it's on it or not.

post-2-1065356551.jpg

Edited by Vinny

If anyone wants, I can post a screenshot of the special's version of the eye catch. I haven't seen teh Animeigo set so I don't know if it's on it or not.

It's not, so post away, if you wish.

Call me a ungreedy, ungrateful fan if you will, but I wish that the first episode opening, the fanracer edning, the SD opening, and maybe even Macross Mecha Grafitti were on the Animeigo set. That would have made it TRULY definitive...although the Ishiguro interview is a great, great bonus.

Apologies to Animeigo then, and boo to HG...

Edit: thanks to Vinny for posting those screencaps!

I think the Perfect Memory tape does have the Macross Special eyecatch after all, but I forget exactly how it differs from the standard eyecatch.

Edited by ewilen

Which is odd, since both the first epsiode opening at the fanracer ending are on the Robotech Perfect Collection Vol. 1...

Very true, Harmony Gold did have access to the original OP and fanracer ED. The Perfect Collection was released in 1993 or 1994, so it's possible that HG might have lost it since then. Or, HG simply did not bother to send the footage to Animeigo. Apparently, Harmony Gold was frugal with the materials they gave to Animeigo, which is why we got stuck with those lame DVD cases.

Yeah those cases for the R1s looked pretty bad. my HK set for the pictures on the discs used the nice, I think it's watercolor art. I'm sure this is some big artist when it came ot Macross and some will say there names. The backing pictures (for the gatefold itself) is some big shots of Valkeries. Looks real nice. Though I'm mad I didn't get the original version's packaging, with the front picture of Hikaru with the nice shades on. That's the nice thing about HK sets. Don't have to go through copyrights :p

Oh, and here's the specials eyecatch. Like someone said, it's the scene where Roy in Skull One flies by Hikaru in the orange valkerie to see if he's OK, just in space. And then it says Macross special, so you know what you are watching. It's shown three times through out the episode.

post-2-1065426352.jpg