The Megazone 23 Garland By Yamato Thread

Renato

I actually only own two Garlands, and they happen to be the Army Garland and the Proto Garland (well, 2 Proto Garlands, counting the new one Yamato sent me after I emailed them about the hip breaking on my first one).

While the Proto is definitely a new mold, and that clip for the bike is nice, I personally don't have any issues with my Army one (maybe I just got lucky there), so like them both.

It seems like really anything other than the original release is fine.

I really wish these had sold better, so we could have gotten more Megazone 23 toys out of Yamato, instead of the other company's non-transforming but very broad selection of mecha.

DSCF2641.jpg

MAN, i can see what you people were groaning about regarding "Disintegrating Shoulders"

i sure do hope these "Replacement Shoulder Assemblies" will be everything they're said to be.

hopefully they will show up in my mail today. (9/11/09)

i'd so hate to see such a beautifully designed toy such as my GARLAND die such a pathetic death as this...

Edited by Shaorin

GARLANDFIXED.jpg

and it's fixed, good as new!!

YAMATO was kind enough to send the parts UPS!

the UPS guy just showed up around 4:00 in the evening, like UPS always does in this area.

it was packed VERY well. the replacements APPEAR IDENTICAL to the originals, save for a better paint application, with much higher quality paint, on the metal swing-bars.

well, time will tell if these are truly improved. with no VISIBLE improvements other than the paint, one can only assume that the improvements are in materials.

i'm still quite nervous about this, but i still hope for the best.

if this breaks again, i'll be forced into buying a PROTO GARLAND, based on the faith of people's claims of it's allegedly vastly improved design. admittedly, i DO like the look of that decal-laden example that member "macrossnake" is showing off up above;

proto_b.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

GARLANDFIXED.jpg

and it's fixed, good as new!!

YAMATO was kind enough to send the parts UPS!

the UPS guy just showed up around 4:00 in the evening, like UPS always does in this area.

it was packed VERY well. the replacements APPEAR IDENTICAL to the originals, save for a better paint application, with much higher quality paint, on the metal swing-bars.

well, time will tell if these are truly improved. with no VISIBLE improvements other than the paint, one can only assume that the improvements are in materials.

i'm still quite nervous about this, but i still hope for the best.

if this breaks again, i'll be forced into buying a PROTO GARLAND, based on the faith of people's claims of it's allegedly vastly improved design. admittedly, i DO like the look of that decal-laden example that member "macrossnake" is showing off up above;

proto_b.jpg

Just keep in mind, those decals aren't cheap either (if those are the ones I'm thinking of, they don't come with the toy).

True, the decals didn't come with the toy.

All are the 'leftover' decals from all the toys/model kits that I have over all years... ^_^

OH. okay... :(

Anyway, i got tired of taking the GARLAND's handheld Carbine and putting it aside and pretending it did not in fact exist when i put the GARLAND into Maneuver Craft mode,

so i devised a method to mount it in that form. observe:

GARLANDCARBINEMOUNT.jpg

GARLANDCARBINEMOUNT2.jpg

i made a mounting lug, out of parts from my Consumer Electronics spares boxes, that i have built up from dismantling many a low-end VCR, among other units.

the lug is made from a rubber-sheathed flexible cable stay, the likes of which can readily be found on vintage 1980's VCRs, most especially the early eighties top loaders, as they often had to route long lengths of bundled wiring in rather peculiar ways to make it all fit neatly in the chassis. the remaining parts consisted of a sharp-tipped tapping screw, and a small washer. (i still had to hand tap the hole with an X-ACTO, though)

the mounting lug can, of course, be rotated into a stowage position when the Carbine is used in the Maneuver Slave mode... :)

DSCN1235.jpg

DSCN1601.jpg

i just snagged these two off EBAY last week, to go with my YAMATO MEGAZONE 23 GARLAND Shogo Type. i am thoroughly tired of Shogo's crazy-assed proportions, and his inability to stand.

it seems to me that the STAR WARS standard figure size is in PERFECT scale with Shogo and the GARLAND, so i figure that i can easily pop that "Sir Arthur" head off the biker scout, and replace it with Shogo's.

i figure that if i want to put the Biker Scout helmet on Shogo, i can simply pull his hair off (YEOWCH!!!!) and the helmet should fit on his hairless head. at any rate, we'll see, when the figures finally come...

True, the decals didn't come with the toy.

All are the 'leftover' decals from all the toys/model kits that I have over all years... ^_^

I was referring to special stickers that Yamato makes for the proto-Garland. I found a guy on a Japanese auction site to get them for me, but it still cost like $20... for stickers...

Hey, Shaorin. Good luck with your Shogo figure custom. Can't wait to see how that tuns out. I think the main problem with a custom figure that fits inside the Garland in Slave mode is the lack on inner space, specially for the legs. I've been thinking in getting a Microman figure to customize my Shogo myself (since Yamato originally showed the prototype with a Microman figure), but I'm affraid it'd still have to have those skinny curved legs to fit inside the toy.

As for the custom decals, I have a set. Found it online and couldn't resist. They're a bit flashy for my tastes tho'. They're all have a "Pimp my Ride" feel to them. I like what Shaorin did with his Proto better.

As for the mounted gun, you should check what MW member Drifand did with his, using parts from a Bandai universal stand. Here's a few pics:

post-1636-1252867391_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1252867420_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1252867439_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1252867466_thumb.jpg

Hey, Shaorin. Good luck with your Shogo figure custom. Can't wait to see how that tuns out. I think the main problem with a custom figure that fits inside the Garland in Slave mode is the lack on inner space, specially for the legs. I've been thinking in getting a Microman figure to customize my Shogo myself (since Yamato originally showed the prototype with a Microman figure), but I'm affraid it'd still have to have those skinny curved legs to fit inside the toy.

As for the custom decals, I have a set. Found it online and couldn't resist. They're a bit flashy for my tastes tho'. They're all have a "Pimp my Ride" feel to them. I like what Shaorin did with his Proto better.

As for the mounted gun, you should check what MW member Drifand did with his, using parts from a Bandai universal stand. Here's a few pics:

actually, DRIFAND's pics there are what gave me the idea in the first place.

oh, and the PROTO there is not mine, it's member "macrossnake" 's.

and, while i'm fairly confident that i'll be able to fit "Biker Scout Shogo" into the Slave mode cockpit without indecent. the STAR WARS figs will be in my hands soon, and then we'll be able to see for sure...

Edited by Shaorin

Wonder if Yamato will end up doing a version 2 like they did with the valks that feature all the improvements?

When you look back at the 1/60 V.1 it pales by far to what we're getting now.

There might be a great Shogo figure yet . . .

well, i sure do hope you're eventually proven right about that, DarrinG...

LONELY SOLIDER BOY, you were correct in your assessment that an ST Biker Scout bodied Shogo would be a No-Go.

the legs MIGHT'VE been able to fit in Maneuver Slave mode, had i cut the pistol holster off the boot, but still, even then, i still would've never been able to get him to sit down properly in Maneuver Craft mode.

the Biker Scout hips were not on ball joints, as i had thought, but on the atypical action figure BACK/FORWARD plug joints.

as such, there was just no way to get those legs to ride convincingly...

oh well, now i have a couple of cool figures of two of my favorite ST characters, and a fully functional GARLAND (thank you so much, YAMATO and MACROSS WORLD)

DSCF2667.jpg

YAMATOMZ231-15GARLAND9-13-09.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Well my Proto-Garland just broke on me. You know those teeth(?) near the seat where you snap the front end of the bike into? Yeah, well part of it snapped off when I was trying to transform the thing back into maneuver craft mode WITHOUT looking at a video. <_< I found some of the broken pieces, but they are pretty tiny. Hope I'll be able to super glue them back together. :(

Well my Proto-Garland just broke on me. You know those teeth(?) near the seat where you snap the front end of the bike into? Yeah, well part of it snapped off when I was trying to transform the thing back into maneuver craft mode WITHOUT looking at a video. <_< I found some of the broken pieces, but they are pretty tiny. Hope I'll be able to super glue them back together. :(

Aw. DAMMIT!! what next?!?! no rest for the weary, huh?

well, so far i've fared just fine myself, with absolutely ZERO problems with my V.1 GARLAND, after what must have been 20 transformations so far.

very sorry to hear about your luck there, Chet.

perhaps yours is a defective copy, with unusually weak snap pegs? perhaps they were mis-formed and weak to begin with?

or perhaps mine just might break there as well the next time i go for a transformation... Aw, S$&T!!!! now you've got me worried...

Edited by Shaorin

The only QC issue I had with my Proto Garland was a scratch on one of the legs hardly noticeable), other than that it's a great toy and pretty fun to pose.

My Garland has not suffered the shoulder ostheoporosis syndrome yet (probably it will, after writing this ^_^ )

Only the hip problem on my first proto, with no problems on my second, but then i've only transformed the thing like half a dozen times in the year or so that I've had it. I got the metallic Priss BGC motoslave about a week later and found that one to be a lot more fun.

I have the Priss Motoslave too and it is in my opinion nowhere near as cool nor as fun as the Proto. It's way too small and the transformation so finicky and intricate that it's no fun, and the robot once you've built it is tiny and underwhelming. Also the Priss figure doesn't really fit in it too well. There are very few modes where her feet reach the little pegs they are supposed to be standing on. Meh.

I have the Priss Motoslave too and it is in my opinion nowhere near as cool nor as fun as the Proto. It's way too small and the transformation so finicky and intricate that it's no fun, and the robot once you've built it is tiny and underwhelming. Also the Priss figure doesn't really fit in it too well. There are very few modes where her feet reach the little pegs they are supposed to be standing on. Meh.

Well, clearly we've got pretty much the exact opposite opinions of these toys.

What matter is, much love for the variable bikes!

hey there, i'm planning on getting the Nene Motoslave.

is it in the same scale as the GARLANDs?

i know Nene's helmet would prevent her from fitting in a GARLAND's Maneuver Slave mode, but if she's the same scale, than i can at least have her ride the Maneuver Craft mode...

hey there, i'm planning on getting the Nene Motoslave.

is it in the same scale as the GARLANDs?

i know Nene's helmet would prevent her from fitting in a GARLAND's Maneuver Slave mode, but if she's the same scale, than i can at least have her ride the Maneuver Craft mode...

It's the same scale. The Priss figure is around the same size as Shogo. Honestly, cramming Shogo into the Garland's cockpit in robot mode is almost impossible anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that. I've only managed to do that once. Never again!

okay, so i guess she can ride behind Shogo in Maneuver-Craft mode then! ^_^

oh yeah; does she have an un-helmeted head? i sure hope so!

oh, and i have no issues at all fitting Shogo into the Maneuver-Slave mode cockpit, myself. i must have done over a dozen conversions so far, since getting the replacement shoulders that is,

every time with Shogo in his proper place, and i have yet to break anything.

i must have used up all my "YAMATO Luck" in receiving a pretty solidly made GARLAND example, perhaps?

Edited by Shaorin

It's the same scale. The Priss figure is around the same size as Shogo. Honestly, cramming Shogo into the Garland's cockpit in robot mode is almost impossible anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that. I've only managed to do that once. Never again!

okay, so i guess she can ride behind Shogo in Maneuver-Craft mode then! ^_^

oh yeah; does she have an un-helmeted head? i sure hope so!

oh, and i have no issues at all fitting Shogo into the Maneuver-Slave mode cockpit, myself. i must have done over a dozen conversions so far, since getting the replacement shoulders that is,

every time with Shogo in his proper place, and i have yet to break anything.

i must have used up all my "YAMATO Luck" in receiving a pretty solidly made GARLAND example, perhaps?

Just a heads up, the metallic finish on the BGC bikes seems to make them much more resilient and less brittle and, to date, only Priss has been released in a metallic version.