The Megazone 23 Garland By Yamato Thread

Renato

Yup, look at HLJ... even the Yamato Protogarlands are showing a dismal performance at 50% off! And it's their least problematic one at that! What're y'all waiting for, the Yen to crash? ^_^

Just order the Proto Garland, hopefully will get it in 2 weeks time. :rolleyes:

I still think the 'red' Garland looks better though, if only it has no 'design' and 'qc' problem... <_<

I still think the 'red' Garland looks better though, if only it has no 'design' and 'qc' problem... <_<

I actually really really want to order the Proto Garland, but their shipping estimate is around $40, which seems really high to me. What did you actual shipping turn out to be, if you don't mind saying?

I'm very happy with my Red (after I had those shoulders replaced, of course). I love it because it's the first Garland I saw (as most folks around here, in "Robotech, the Untold Story"), so for me it's a classic design and very close to my hart. I only wish Yamato didn't used those weak a$$ magnets, I'm all about pegs, but the same can be said about the Proto Garland.

I actually really really want to order the Proto Garland, but their shipping estimate is around $40, which seems really high to me. What did you actual shipping turn out to be, if you don't mind saying?

Ordered my 2 days ago. Still waiting for the final shipping bill... suppose to be 4000 yen ems shipping, but I have another stuff ship with it, hopefully will pack them together!

And, HLJ just list the Proto as 'backorder' today, i think. :ph34r:

Ordered my 2 days ago. Still waiting for the final shipping bill... suppose to be 4000 yen ems shipping, but I have another stuff ship with it, hopefully will pack them together!

And, HLJ just list the Proto as 'backorder' today, i think. :ph34r:

Yeah, I saw that, right when I decided to just suck it up and accept the shipping charge and went online to order it.

I'm very happy with my Red (after I had those shoulders replaced, of course). I love it because it's the first Garland I saw (as most folks around here, in "Robotech, the Untold Story"), so for me it's a classic design and very close to my hart. I only wish Yamato didn't used those weak a$$ magnets, I'm all about pegs, but the same can be said about the Proto Garland.

Whoa whoa whoa, the magnets are the best part of the Garland! I wish Yamato used them more in other designs *cough floppy Valkyries cough*. Pegs can break, and require holes and pegs which can ruin smooth lines (especially since there would have to be holes or pegs on the bottom of the legs). Magnets were a great way to go.

The ONLY thing I dislike about my original Garland is how lame it is in Maneuver Craft mode (other than of course the disintegrating shoulders which were nicely taken care of by YamatoUSA). I like that there's a magnet holding the front assembly to the rear but there needs to be a latch too (like apparently they did with the Proto?) so it doesn't have a weak back.

Vostok 7

Whoa whoa whoa, the magnets are the best part of the Garland! I wish Yamato used them more in other designs *cough floppy Valkyries cough*. Pegs can break, and require holes and pegs which can ruin smooth lines (especially since there would have to be holes or pegs on the bottom of the legs). Magnets were a great way to go.

The ONLY thing I dislike about my original Garland is how lame it is in Maneuver Craft mode (other than of course the disintegrating shoulders which were nicely taken care of by YamatoUSA). I like that there's a magnet holding the front assembly to the rear but there needs to be a latch too (like apparently they did with the Proto?) so it doesn't have a weak back.

Vostok 7

The latch on the Proto you're talking about is a separate piece, so it's not a big improvement for me. I wouldn't mind a slot on the chest plate if that makes for a stronger connection, but I'm sure Yamato could've come up with a better design solution. They just wanted to experiment with magnets IMHO.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Angolz has it for $77 but they are listing it as "pre-order" so I don't know what that means.

http://www.angolz.com/home/productDetails....?PLU=0000106890

Vostok 7

Nice, I'll check it out. Thank you!

Any experience ordering from this place? I've never heard of it before.

... so I'm hoping that Yamato releases the Mass Production next

Word.

If I had known they were going to do the Proto Garland, I never would have bought the original. Now I have to rob Peter to pay Paul in order to get a Proto Garland.

And even though you only see the "GR-2" in the movie for a few seconds, I hope that Yamato takes on the task of making a 1/15 version. I loved the Garland designs for Part II and to have the hovering Mass Production to go with the Proto would be awesome. Especially if they did a nice clear stand to go with it in Maneuver-Craft Mode.

• 4 months later...
Can anyone tell me if the Garlands on sale at Angolz and HLJ have had the sholder joints fixed? Or was there only ever one issue released?

Thanks.

nope ..just one big fat crappy run of red garland..factory ..and army colors..

just bought an army garland .and it's floppy as hell where the front of the bike meets the seat parts..quite shabby..

but the proto rocks!!

i actually got my fist prodo with BROKEN HANDELBAR..spoke with yamato usa .. and a NEW PROTO-GARLAND was at my door a week later!!!

now that's what i call service!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

so i'll live with the floppish army type-leave + it in bike mode anyway..the proto's bot mode is wayyyy more fierce!!! :blink:

nope ..just one big fat crappy run of red garland..factory ..and army colors..

just bought an army garland .and it's floppy as hell where the front of the bike meets the seat parts..quite shabby..

but the proto rocks!!

i actually got my fist prodo with BROKEN HANDELBAR..spoke with yamato usa .. and a NEW PROTO-GARLAND was at my door a week later!!!

now that's what i call service!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

so i'll live with the floppish army type-leave + it in bike mode anyway..the proto's bot mode is wayyyy more fierce!!! :blink:

Damn. :(

Thanks for the info.

Same thing here.

The Proto-Garland is the only one with the fixes in place. However, I also have the Factory Color Garland which doesn't have the fixes, but I never had any problems with it, seems tighter somehow.

My Proto came with a broken hip. Yamato shipped me a new one free of charge within a matter of days.

Same thing here.

The Proto-Garland is the only one with the fixes in place. However, I also have the Factory Color Garland which doesn't have the fixes, but I never had any problems with it, seems tighter somehow.

My Proto came with a broken hip. Yamato shipped me a new one free of charge within a matter of days.

My Proto had a broken hip too, even Proto version is supposed to be 'problem free'.

• 3 months later...

DAMAGEDGARLAND2.jpg

hey, all! i just recently pulled the trigger on the bay for this sucker, $70.00 including shipping, in perfect condition, and transformed once by the previous owner to display in a glass case.

anyway, i just received it yesterday, and had no problems at all until i went to convert it back to bike mode. suddenly, SNAP went the right "Die-Cast" shoulder bar!

now, i was previously aware of this defect, and was prepared from the outset to do whatever necessary to get it remedied. so i emailed YAMATO USA's customer service yesterday, requesting a set of the improved, strengthened parts. i have not heard back from them yet, as of 9/6/2009, at 6:56 in the morn.

anyway, is there anybody on the forum who has went through this procedure before, and can tell me what i am to expect?

as a side note; Shogo there REALLY sucks. he's perpetually stuck sitting, and hes got arms like "Dhalsim" the Yoga master from the video game "STREET FIGHTER II"

hey graham, can you try to get YAMATO to do us MZ23 fans a favor and release a fully poseable Shogo resculpt WITHOUT baboon arms, Pretty Please?

BTW, i sent YAMATO a pic of the defect as proof, this one:

DAMAGEDGARLAND.jpg

emailing them was useless in my experience, you need to call them. They sent me an entire new toy instead of the just the replacement arms that I had requested.

sounds like a decent concolation to me. B))

did they ever release a version that isn't going to break on you? I rented Megazone 23 parts 1, 2 and 3 this week, now I want one of these so bad.

sounds like a decent concolation to me. B))

did they ever release a version that isn't going to break on you? I rented Megazone 23 parts 1, 2 and 3 this week, now I want one of these so bad.

The original Garland has had the most trouble (crumbling shoulder joints). The Proto Garland from MZ part 2 has gotten alot of positive feedback.

There's a metallic finish version that comes with the movie, soundtrack CD and art book, but since no one here got that version, it's hard to say if the shoulder on that one is fixed or not.

I eMailed Yamato USA for my replacements and they sent me both shoulders (i.e. the whole front wheel) in no time, of course that was a long time ago.

I got tired of ranting about the limited poseability of the Shogo figure, and I even suggested a fully poseable version (a la Chirico Cuvie, which is an amazing action figure, even better than the Scope Dog itself IMHO) to be sold separately, but I guess Yamato got over with the license. That's too bad, I would've loved to see the mass production flying Garland in olive drab colors, despite not being such a fan of the whole magnet thing. I hope someone else picks up the license some day and gives us a bigger line.

BTW, the rear view mirrors on my red Garland (those small silver pieces that hold the hinges for the whole chest assembly) popped off recently (cheap a$$ glue). I don't think superglue is strong enough to do the trick this time since that hinge needs to withstand a lot of pressure during the transformation. I understand some people here had the same problem, so I thought I'd ask around here what glue should I use to fix it. Thanks in advance, guys.

There's supposed to be a repair kit for the shoulders. I've seen people selling the toy online, with the kit included.

BTW, I've never opened the mirrors on either on mine. Too scared they're going to snap right off.

^_^ i just called YAMATO USA today, and the fellow answering the phone said that they got my email from last Saturday, and they just sent the replacement out to me today! (9/8/09) now that's what i call service!! he did not specify whether they sent a repair kit or entire replacement model, but either way, the result will be a beautiful Mecha design, fully restored and back in action!! ^_^

DAMAGEDGARLAND2.jpg

^_^ i just called YAMATO USA today, and the fellow answering the phone said that they got my email from last Saturday, and they just sent the replacement out to me today! (9/8/09) now that's what i call service!! he did not specify whether they sent a repair kit or entire replacement model, but either way, the result will be a beautiful Mecha design, fully restored and back in action!! ^_^

;) Good to hear they sort it out for you so quickly.

Here is my Proto Garland with some stickers on. :)

post-10429-1252479932_thumb.jpg

So, how's the build quality on the garland army color? (broken shoulders, floppiness, etc...) HLJ has it for about $70, and I want the fixed pose Yui figure.

ymt33968_3.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

So, how's the build quality on the garland army color? (broken shoulders, floppiness, etc...) HLJ has it for about $70, and I want the fixed pose Yui figure.

ymt33968_3.jpg

Mine is fine, for what it's worth. The Proto Garland is still way way better than the the army Garland or any of the other Garlands. I also wanted the Yui.

Mine is fine, for what it's worth. The Proto Garland is still way way better than the the army Garland or any of the other Garlands. I also wanted the Yui.

i prefer the Shogo custom and Army version GARLANDs myself. i am curious; what exactly is it about the PROTO that makes it the best of them all?

It's completely redesigned. It doesn't share a single part with the original. Everything fits much better, the transformation works more smoothly, and there's also an extra clip thing included to hold it together better in bike mode. Just sculpted better, better materials, and a big improvement all around.