Macross 25th Anniversary

easnoddy

Considering next year is the 25th anniversary of Macross TV, I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been any talk of what we might see. I remember back in 2001 we were doubtful of Bandai but then they did the reissue line. It'll be a few months until anything starts showing up in the hobby mags, but I'm hopeful Bandai will finish its reissues. I'd like to see a reissue Strike, Elint, Ostrich, Blazer and VF-17D as well as some possible repaints of existing valkyries (VF-1A Max, VF-17S Milia, etc). I'd also hope they used the same mold as the other reissues for the VE-1 and VT-1 as I prefer the pointy nose (plus it might keep the collectors who spent a bunch on the originals happy that there is a difference).

As far as new things I'd really like to see Yamato take a crack at larger-scale macross plus and VF-X2 toys. I'd like to see a perfect VF-11 which gets very little love in toy or model form (still waiting on Hasegawa).

What are your thoughts?

More Bandai 1/55 reissues.

I would be quite happy if Bandai never released another chunky product again. The charm is wayyyy gone now that Yamato has shown us the true splendor of the 1/48. I own the originals to round out my collection but if a company was going to spend time and money releasing anything going forward I would hope it'd be a significantly improved product... not a reissue of a thorougly outdated product.

Now, a Yamato Elint and SuperO in 1/48 scale would tickly my fancy nicely (or simply a VF-1D). What about a jokemachine SuperO and Elint? A Yammie VF-17 would be nice too :)

Here we go, dreaming again:

1/48 Elint

1/48 Super Ostrich

1/48 VF-1D

1/60 VF-0D

1/60 VF-0A

1/60 SV-51

1/60 YF-19 w/FP

1/60 YF-21 w/FP

1/60 VF-11 w/FP

1/3000 SDF-1

Yeap, always dreaming... Hey, no one though of having a 1/48 CF or GBP, remember?

I need to go to sleep, there's much needed dreaming to take care of :)

I think if bandai reissues valks it will be with the new sculpt heads, that were in prototype form only that sadly did not make it to production. Xstoys had a few samples. I'd also like DYRL reissues....the big 3 that never came out.

Along with the reissues I'd like a new SOC type smaller scale line, maybe 1.72? I'd want a diecast qrau in this line as well as the VF-1 and maybe the macross 0 valks. Come on think about it, a 1/72 scale DIECAST qrau SOC style. DROOL!!! And if anyone can do perfect variability and diecast its bandai. So the new SOC style valks could be called "NEO HCM".

I too hope for a new VF11B toy. We have seen what Billy Wong could do with it. Imagine what NIshikawa or SOLID could do with it!! Imagine one with internal folding heatshield, BIGGER accurate scaled vertical fins....drool. Now THAT I would want to see in a 1/48!! And if yamato ever gets the macross 7 license, then we get 2 potential variants!! Possibly 4 if Yamato were to get the M3 license(didn't max and milia have VF-11s in that game?)

I would also want a YF19FP and new tooled YF-21.....I mean a sleeker tighter jointed YF-21 would be GREAT. The billy wong version was rather chunky. And I heard a bunch of complaints on its stability.

I woiuld also like all 3 of these macross plus toys in 1/60 scale, bigger size=more durability, more detail, more room for yamato to work with, PLUS same scale as the VF-`1 line and the macross VF-0 toy yamato is putting out in spring and the qrau.

Deep inside I'd also like a 1/18 scale high detail VF-1 but the chances of that....hhhhaha I bet noone will do this. I wish though.

Oh and also, I'd bet either yamato or bandai will do an SDF-1 of some sort next year. By the time that happens I'm sure all of us would be saying...

"BOUT TIME HUH?"

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I'd like them to release a new Macross series sure. Opens up a whole new generation of VFs.

I personally would like them to animate the VF-X2 Game. That would be great. Although I personally wouldn't like to see the Macross destroyed at the end, maybe damaged but not destroyed, as it is the symbol of all that is Macross, it's not only the VF-1.

To keep our toy shelves full I would like them to delve into the designs of the Macross M3 game and also the VF-X2 game. There are plently of designs to choose from and they can get around the issue with Bandai owning the Macross 7 licence.

How big would that be?

A 1/48 Glaug would be exactly 15" tall

edit - just for fun, here's the dimensions of other stuff if done in 1/48, my calcs show a VF-1 at 1/48 measures 11.85" just to give you a baring:

VF-11 is 12.5" long,

YF-19 is just under 15"

YF-21 is 15.75"

VF-17 is 12.5"

VF-4 is 12.3"

Edited by jenius

For reissues, I'd like re-releases of the Takatoku 1/100 scale "diecast model" Destroids (they can keep the non-transforming Battroid Valkyrie), the 1/240 scale "diecast model" Monster, the Destroid Conversion kit, and the transforming SDF-1 Macross (this time with a touch more panel-lining).

While we're at it, I'd like to see reissues of the HCM Valkyries (yeah, I know... mold lost in a fire...blah-blah... :p ), alongside new repaints for Roy's VF-1S; Max and Miriya's VF-1J's; Max's VF-1A; Hikaru, Max and Hayao's VF-1A's from DYRL, etc.

I'd expect more/the same again reissues from Bandai & maybe some HCM Pro Valkyries, another possibility is a Mechanic File SDF-1.

I don't think Bandai would even bother making some kind of SOC Valk, Yamato allready have this mecha under their belt and it wouldn't be worth Bandais investment.

I also expect a thinpack of ADV's new Macross with a 25th aniversary sticker on it. :p

A little off-topic, but did Bandai do anything for Mobile Suit Gundam's 25th Anniversary in 2004? I remember mentioning it on animeondvd.com a while back and somebody said the Japanese don't really make as big a deal out of the silver anniversary as they do for the 20th anniversaries.

If they actually re release the JM's I wonder how much they would go for. I also think they should do the full line up of DYRL and TV schemes if they do as well as the elint and seekers. That would be a real celebration.

I really like the idea of a new series.  An OVA would be cool too, but something really substantial would be awesome.

362845[/snapback]

Wouldn't there already be somekind of gossip going around the net if there were plans for a new series or OVA?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love something like that!

btw, I'd realy like a 1/48 VF-1D.

Maybe Yamato will do another limited 1/48, maybe a Minmay Guard

How about a 1/48 VF-4 toy! It's missing from my fleet, hehe. Did anyone ever make one?

Oh and yeah, new series would be nice, but doubtful. Any rumors on WHEN they might release a new one? I still like Macross 7, but it's getting a little dated. Heck, might even have to go start watching it again right now.

I'd expect more/the same again reissues from Bandai & maybe some HCM Pro Valkyries, another possibility is a Mechanic File SDF-1.

I think this was covered many times before and have been speculated as to what had befallen the HCM line. Some say it was fire and others had said, the original molds were neglected and was unusable for production.

362994[/snapback]

Sorry, probably shouldn't have said that straight after mentioing reissues. To clarify, I was talking about HCM Pros, the new line that Bandai is doing now.

For the HCM's I heard the molds were lost in the ocean during a boating accident. There are key differences between the HCM and MPC, the HCM's nose is huge, and the tailfins looked too small. Also there are ball joints in the hips(someone@tmp told me this long ago) and there could be a bit more. And the HCM does not have its rear end sticking up as much as the MPC does. I like my MPC's but I'd also want HCM's its a piece of history!

Also zincpanic was saying something a while back..

"Promising 2006 will be a stronger year for Bandai's venerable Soul of Chogokin line than ever, brand manager Nonaka drops hints regarding upcoming releases ...

* "Xabungle Size"

* "Standard Size"

* "Large Size"

You could guess that the first two are Walker Galliar and Gold Lightan. The third may be the real mystery. Daitan 3? Ideon? Iron Gear? Or is it all code for Gardian ... with a Bikungfu recolor?

Here's a list of big robots, starting at the top and working down: Macross, Danguard, Gunbuster, Iron Gear, Mechanda, Daitan, Daikengo, Diapolon, Ideon, Baldios, Groizer, God Sigma ... then we're at Zanbot."

And remember SOC had the eva mecha yet those were not super robots, and aquerion was kind of SOC like, so I think there might be SOC macross stuff....but who knows. I think if anyone could take on yamato it'd be bandai.

For the HCM's I heard the molds were lost in the ocean during a boating accident. There are key differences between the HCM and MPC, the HCM's nose is huge, and the tailfins looked too small. Also there are ball joints in the hips(someone@tmp told me this long ago) and there could be a bit more. And the HCM does not have its rear end sticking up as much as the MPC does.

ball joints in the hips? Huh? I don't feel like transforming mine right now but here's how it looked last time I took a pic:

As you can see, doesn't look like any ball-joints are present. I guess it's possible but it's certainly nothing I ever noticed. I hate to say it but the MPC is pretty much superior in every way (i could feel half of MW cringing as I type that). I still would love to see the HCM line completed though.

Here's a little tail fin comparo too:

post-2677-1137971973_thumb.jpg

post-2677-1137972073_thumb.jpg

post-2677-1137972096_thumb.jpg

Edited by jenius

Yea someone at tmp had told me about the ball jointed legs a while back. I was kinda iffy on that as well.

The real reason I like the HCM is that it had a good amount of detail and somewhat superior sculpting than the takatoku 1/55 yet it was SMALLER too!! A good size. And the most important thing is that it could STILL hold the missles onto the wings when the wings were sweeped back in battroid mode. This was very impressive. I mean the size, the box, the articulation and detail on it must have been paramount back when it was released in the mid 80s. Although I like my MPCs I too would want HCms.

Yea someone at tmp had told me about the ball jointed legs a while back. I was kinda iffy on that as well.

The real reason I like the HCM is that it had a good amount of detail and somewhat superior sculpting than the takatoku 1/55 yet it was SMALLER too!! A good size. And the most important thing is that it could STILL hold the missles onto the wings when the wings were sweeped back in battroid mode. This was very impressive. I mean the size, the box, the articulation and detail on it must have been paramount back when it was released in the mid 80s. Although I like my MPCs I too would want HCms.

And I thought SOLID WASN'T Nishikawa. Isn't liquid stone the same company that did a resin YF19@wonderfest last year? I thought liquid stone and IHP were lead by the same guy, not Nishikawa. SOLID worked on VOTOMS. And I believe the GPS as well.

My wish list:

New Macross Series based on VFX

1/48 Elintseeker!!!! <-- man I love this mech

1/48 Super Ostrich

1/48 VF-1D but I already have the Captains! :D

1/48 Enemy Mechs - NGer, Glaug, and all 4 Regults at the minimum

1/48 M+ / M: VFX / M3 variants

1/48 upgrade kits

Hasegawa detail, Yamato playability and all ABS / Die Cast Metal Joints construction.

1/1000 SDF-1 TV variant, followed by DYRL, M+

1/1000 Enemy fleet (Britai\'s ship would be ~ 4 foot long!)

All with full detail, lights fx, removable panels to show the interior and full posability. Wonder how much someone would pay for such an item?

I don\'t care who makes it as long as it is AT Yamato or BETTER quality.

Personally, I say put the old line to rest and get up to date with today\'s techonology and advances to make the best Macross possible.

Personally, I say put the old line to rest and get up to date with today\'s techonology and advances to make the best Macross possible.

363199[/snapback]

I would agree, but I need a 1/55 Strike, Elint and Super O (like everyone else), so I wish that BanDai would reissue those. Otherwise, on with more NEW cool stuff! :D

A little off-topic, but did Bandai do anything for Mobile Suit Gundam's 25th Anniversary in 2004?  I remember mentioning it on animeondvd.com a while back and somebody said the Japanese don't really make as big a deal out of the silver anniversary as they do for the 20th anniversaries.

363006[/snapback]

That's a good point. I also remember reading somewhere that the Japanese don't make a big deal out of the 25th anniversery. Not sure if it's true or not.

I don't think there was much in the way of celebreation of Gundam's 25th anniversery, but I may be wrong, as I don't pay that much attention to Gundam in general. However, I do seem to remember that there was quite a lot of coverage in the hobby mags of Gundam's 20th anniversery.

Anyway, I'm gonna be the pessimist on this one and say that I'm not expecting much in the way of new stuff from Bandai or Big West for Macross's 25th anniversery next year.

Graham