Global

Sar

(Not sure if this is really the right forum, but none of the others seemed much more appropriate)

OK, so I've been bored recently, a lot of my modelling stuff is packed away and I watched the whole TV series over the course of last weekend - so I started on a bust of Captain Global. Why? Because he's awesome and as far as I can see there's zero in the way of garage kits in his image. I mean, honestly - keeps his cool through the scouring of the Earth, saviour of the human race, deals with alien tricks, thousands of random civilians cluttering his battleship, backchat from bridge staff, nothing. That Minmay tramp sings and shows a bit of ankle and everyone's all over her!

Anyway, I've got to more or less the point where I want to start adding facial hair, seeing as it looks really weird without that huge moustache and sideburns, and that really means no more work on facial structure. So really, I'm asking "does this look OK to you guys as-is, or do drastic changes need to be made to get the likeness?" I find asking other people nearly always shows stuff up that I've completely missed... ;-)

(I've got a huge collage of screencaps I'm working from, but the face structure looks significantly different from different angles and in different shots... :/)

20060119a.jpg20060119b.jpg

(I'm mostly happy with it, but I still think I need to lower the brow a little, if nothing else... and probably trim a little off the chin, now.)

Cool project Sar!

I've been thinking a bust of Britai & Exedol myself, but I don't feel I will even try it yet. Just been dreaming how cool they would be. What stuff did you use to sculpt him?

I think that's really hard to tell how does it look without the cap, mustache etc. Yeah and the pipe too :) Hmm, maybe you could make temporarily ones so you could just see how it would look.

Yes, I think the brow must be lowered, and the chin is propably a bit too wide now. I think it should be a lot thinner and sharper. The most important thing IMO is that Global should be lurking from underneath his cap.

Like this :)

post-3505-1137719833.jpg

I've been thinking a bust of Britai & Exedol myself, but I don't feel I will even try it yet. Just been dreaming how cool they would be. What stuff did you use to sculpt him?

362114[/snapback]

Milliput - it's one of the few modelling materials I have that isn't packed up in a big box, and even then only 'cause I just ran out a month or so ago and bought more. ;-) It's pretty good stuff, though, IMO; workable like soft clay, and with water, cures at room temperature (accelerated by heating) and carve/sandable when cured. I'm playing around with MagicSculpt at the same time on a parallel messaround project, and that's a little too sticky and not quite dense enough for my taste, but still a pretty good medium all told.

I think that's really hard to tell how does it look without the cap, mustache etc. Yeah and the pipe too  :) Hmm, maybe you could make temporarily ones so you could just see how it would look.

362114[/snapback]

I did make a little paper moustache (old photo) but I'm having to rely on imagination and digital editing for a hat for the moment...

chin is propably a bit too wide now. I think it should be a lot thinner and sharper.

362114[/snapback]

The pointiness of his chin is one of the main things I've found varies from episode to episode (compare the attached pics to yours, for instance), but yeah - currently it's definitely too square.

post-2698-1137752263.jpg

The most important thing IMO is that Global should be lurking from underneath his cap.

362114[/snapback]

Absolutely! It's as much angle as anything, but that's certainly an Important Design Consideration... ;-)

That's a huge difference in the chin in those pictures you posted! :o If I'm correct they had some korean not-so-great animators in some episodes. I guess you have to decide which version you like best. That cg/paper mustache pic is actually quite stunning already! Even the chin doesn't look that bad from that angle. Good idea to use that digital editing :)

Hmm... I think your Global will be just great. How big is it anyway? You could cast those... :p

Ah, that makes much more sense. I thought it was Frank Zappa.

362084[/snapback]

OK, but do you think Frank Zappa looks that much like Captain Global? :p

362110[/snapback]

Well, now that I think about it...yes.

Zappa

Somebody should use a bit photoshop here...

362278[/snapback]

post-2698-1137792557_thumb.png

OK, OK, I was bored...

How big is it anyway? You could cast those...  :p

362253[/snapback]

Currently the head's 47mm tall, from top (which needs more putty anyway) to chin (which probably needs a little less). I guess probably about 1/5th scale, from a rought measurement of my own head. ;-)

Is it for a statue or a bust?  I like it, but something looks off, maybe if you drew the cap to the brow... not entirely sure.

362295[/snapback]

I'm thinking bust - as much as I'd like to get it as right as I can it's really just a tide-over project 'til I can move house... and yeah, I've moved the brow down all 'round, it's looking better to me... too much space above the eyes is a perennial problem of mine that I nearly always forget until I've already done the brow. :/

QUICK! Put a pipe in his mouth so he doesn't look like Frank anymore! Pipe before chin! :D looks great so far.

A word of caution, use a face mask when sanding the Milliput. I've been using that stuff for over a decade and just found out about the dangers of cured epoxy dust. The longer you use, the more "sensitized" you get. I still use Milliput though. I'm gonna need a lot soon for a big project! Chin up(bad puhn) :(

A word of caution, use a face mask when sanding the Milliput.

362358[/snapback]

I take the other option - wet-sanding. ;-)

But yeah... it's good advice. If anything I'm not convinced that dust masks even really do that much good, I've given up using mine in favour of the respirator I use for airbrushing.

Any progress on Zap... Global?

363101[/snapback]

Not really, no; I went to visit a friend at the weekend, so I didn't have too much modelling time - all I've done since the last photos are a small amount of surface-smoothing sanding and watching an old clip of Frank Zappa on Crossfire in the eighties. ;-)

OK, so I've been making slow progress...

20060126.jpg

So, a question - is that thing on his hat defined anywhere? About two-thirds of the time it looks like the one on the left, the rest of the time like the one on the right...

I'm thinking the eyes probably need to be bigger, too.

I did some pipe work too, but it's less far progressed... ;-)

20060126b.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hey Sar, is the Captain still alive? :unsure:

378595[/snapback]

Yeah, he's just in a box in the garage at the moment, along with 95% of the rest of my stuff; I get the keys to my new house tomorrow after too many delays, so I'm a little too busy to sculpt. ;-)

I don't know how long it'll take to get settled, but I do plan to finish the guy. Or at least his head and shoulders. ;-)