Macross - Proper Engrish Pronunciations

ghostryder

Maybe a noob ?, but...

What are the original proper pronunciations of the following words? I know mispronunciation of "L" sounds to "R" sound is not uncommon in Japanese-Engrish translations:

Battroid (Battloid?)

Exedol (Exedor?)

Millia (Mirya?)

Tlead (Tread?) (yes , I know this is Mospeada)

There's probably more, but I'll leave it at that in case this is a dumbass noob question.

Officially, it's battroid with an R, Exedol with an L, Millia with an L, and TREAD with an R.

Not really relevant, but all of them except Exedol/r roll off the english-speaking toungue easier that way.

MOSPEADA was big on english acronyms, and TREAD is one of them(standing for TRans-EArth-Deployment). Unlike the other 3, there's not any room for translation variances here.

Okay, so is it pronouced "Fock" like "Spock" or "Foke" like "spoke" in the name Roy Focker.

361802[/snapback]

Like Spock. He's a nod to german plane manufacturer Fokker.

The spelling's off, but pronunciation is the same. Hollywood agrees.

Harmony Gold ran with spoke, but that's likely because they wanted to avoid any "ZOMG THEY SAID FUC|< ON A CARTOON!111 KILL!111" situations. Especially since they changed to the double-k spelling.

Heh.... guess I was wrong on Exedol. No one uses the official spellings. They're too hard to remember.

How did the get Vrlitwhai? Big West spells it Bullitie. :unsure:

361815[/snapback]

Romanizations don't necessarily translate properly in English. Vrilitwhai is purposely spelled that way because it is not an Earth langauge. It is Zentradi, not Japanese, English or even Swahili. For simplicity's sake, we do spell Vrlitwhai as Bretai/Breetai, but in terms of official documents, we use Vrlitwhai.

Officially, it's ....................................Millia with an L

Or so we all thought, until Yamato released the 1/48 Miria Fallyna Jenius VF-1J... :p Then the debate raged all over again... :rolleyes:

361839[/snapback]

I prefer Mil F. Jenius. :lol:

Or so we all thought, until Yamato released the 1/48 Miria Fallyna Jenius VF-1J... :p Then the debate raged all over again... :rolleyes:

361839[/snapback]

361844[/snapback]

LOL :lol:

361846[/snapback]

Okay, took me a while :lol:

361839[/snapback]

361844[/snapback]

Oh, you cad. ;)

The spelling's off, but pronunciation is the same.

Harmony Gold ran with spoke, but that's likely because they wanted to avoid any "ZOMG THEY SAID FUC|< ON A CARTOON!111 KILL!111" situations.  Especially since they changed to the double-k spelling.

Dutch, not German. Also, in the US, nearly everyone pronounces "Fokker" as "Foke-er" AFAIK. It wasn't until I was in college and I had a Dutch guy who liked planes in my class that he corrected me that it was in fact pronounced "Fock-er". Just FYI.

Okay, so is it pronouced "Fock" like "Spock" or "Foke" like "spoke" in the name Roy Focker.

361802[/snapback]

Harmony Gold ran with spoke, but that's likely because they wanted to avoid any "ZOMG THEY SAID FUC|< ON A CARTOON!111 KILL!111" situations. Especially since they changed to the double-k spelling.

Heh.... guess I was wrong on Exedol. No one uses the official spellings. They're too hard to remember.

361818[/snapback]

Actually, you've got that backwards, The official Pronunciation is like "spoke," HG ran with the "spock" sound & double k spelling

The spelling's off, but pronunciation is the same.

Harmony Gold ran with spoke, but that's likely because they wanted to avoid any "ZOMG THEY SAID FUC|< ON A CARTOON!111 KILL!111" situations.  Especially since they changed to the double-k spelling.

Dutch, not German. Also, in the US, nearly everyone pronounces "Fokker" as "Foke-er" AFAIK. It wasn't until I was in college and I had a Dutch guy who liked planes in my class that he corrected me that it was in fact pronounced "Fock-er". Just FYI.

361981[/snapback]

Whoops.

361802[/snapback]

361818[/snapback]

Actually, you've got that backwards, The official Pronunciation is like "spoke," HG ran with the "spock" sound & double k spelling

362039[/snapback]

I'd've sworn it was the other way around.

Ah well, so I'm 0 for 2 on that one.

361839[/snapback]

Check out the Hasegawa decal. Pay particular attention to the heart with Max and his wife's name...

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...has_vir_dec.jpg

And the debate continues.... ;)

Edited by Zinjo

361839[/snapback]

361844[/snapback]

Especially considering the bathing suit scene where she tired out for the Jamming Birds in Macross 7! :p

362039[/snapback]

not so fast, planet-dance boy. The entire time in (ugh) Robotech, Hikaru pronounces Roy's last name as "Foke-er" (like Spoke). the OFFICIAL pronounciation is Focker (like Spock).

Edited by Skull Leader

362039[/snapback]

not so fast, planet-dance boy. The entire time in (ugh) Robotech, Hikaru pronounces Roy's last name as "Foke-er" (like Spoke). the OFFICIAL pronounciation is Focker (like Spock).

362210[/snapback]

Perhaps if you were Deaf, or just retarded I could see you making this mistake. But otherwise, if you "listen" to the Japanese audio in Macross, DYRL, Zero, VFX-2, etc, you will clearly hear his name said as "F-Oh-cker" (as in spoke, poke, toke, broke, soak, oak).

Edited by Keith

if you "listen" to the Japanese audio in Macross, DYRL, Zero, VFX-2, etc, you will clearly hear his name said as "F-Oh-cker"

For the record, I originally asked this question because I remember it as being "F-oh-cker" in both but I was worried my Robotech watching had just obscured my memory (or vice versa). As it is, I'm pretty sure Robotech has Roy being "F-oh-cker" and it is my understanding also that the Dutch pilot's name in English is commonly referred to as "F-oh-cker" as well, even if it is intended to be "F-ah-cker" in his natural language. Simply put, I think outside of Denmark, Roy's last name should be pronounced "F-oh-cker" (as it apparently is in both Robotech and Macross). This could also have a correlation to English speakers being afraid of being misunderstood when saying "f-ah-cker" as alluded to earlier.

Edited by jenius

The English alphabets for Japanese characters are really used for the benefits of westerners or non Japanese speaking people. They don't neccessarily have the same pronouniciations as in English. In Japanese, there is no English 'R' sound. For English speakers, R would be pronounced with a small L, that 's also why some English words such as "Eric Clapton" becomes "Eric Crapton" or Rider is pronounced Laidaa. When learning Japanese, one must ignore all English pronounciations and learn to accept that there is a new pronounication for each alphabet.

For example, fu does not pronounce with a F, but a small h like you are blowing a candle.

There is no "th" sound in Japanese, so another sound is used for this.

Focker or ロイ・フォッカー is pronouned Loy (small L) hu-O ka ( O sounds like "all" without the L), even though it stands for Roy Focker. One must adapt to the way Japanese pronouncing their version of English.

Japanese are good at combining other cultures with their own and create a new one. Much like the Chinese characters they used in their language, they don't neccessarily have the same meaning as the Chinese counterparts. They also invented their own "Chinese" characters.

Focker or ロイ・フォッカー is pronouned Loy (small L) hu-O ka ( O sounds like "all" without the L), even though it stands for Roy Focker. One must adapt to the way Japanese pronouncing their version of English.

362799[/snapback]

I'm going to dissagree there. The "O" doesn't sound at all like "all" or "ah" which is what I think you were trying to get at. It sounds like "O" as oh "oh" or "sew, boat, mow"

362799[/snapback]

I'm going to dissagree there. The "O" doesn't sound at all like "all" or "ah" which is what I think you were trying to get at. It sounds like "O" as oh "oh" or "sew, boat, mow"

362928[/snapback]

No no...that 's what most people starting to learn Japanese would often pronounce. There is no O , or not the O in oh, or O in boat. "All" may be a bad example. The Japanese O sounds similarly to the O in " nor " or "Or" without the R. I have a mp3 file for the sound if you would like to hear (this was pronounced by a native Japanese professor teaching Japanese) or you could consult a Japanese who is also familiar with the English language. Much like Japanese character " no " which is pronounced similarly to the English word " nor " but without the R.

Focker as English would be pronounced Fock ker. The O in Fock or the O in "Flock" is not the same O in "fold", for example. This is why the characters " フォ " (Japanese supported browser is needed to see the writing in " " ) is used which is similar in sound to "foc" without the "k" sound.

Edited by Max_valk

Did I mention that if you listen to the actual dialogue you can clearly hear how his name is pronunced?

From what little I've understood of Japanese, kana, & romanji, basic vowel rules revert to latin rules.

A = "ah" E = "eh" I = "ee (as in bee or tree)" O= "oh (as in toe, or bow)" U= "ooh (as in shoe, or blue)"

If Focker was supposed to be pronunced "fahker" the Kana would have the equivilent to the a in it.

Did I mention that if you listen to the actual dialogue you can clearly hear how his name is pronunced?

From what little I've understood of Japanese, kana, & romanji, basic vowel rules revert to latin rules.

A = "ah" E = "eh" I = "ee (as in bee or tree)" O= "oh (as in toe, or bow)" U= "ooh (as in shoe, or blue)"

If Focker was supposed to be pronunced "fahker" the Kana would have the equivilent to the a in it.

363212[/snapback]

I can only send you the mp3 file and you can determine for yourself. I did not say anything about Ah, you are the one who puts that in.

O is not pronounced O as in Oh , like O'connor , etc. Not O in toe , not O in bow

Japanese U is NOT the U in blue, those are the English U. I do not know where you hear this from, but there are totally wrong.

I speak Japanese most of my life and I have watched many Japanese shows since the days when Japanese TV or the rest of the world was watching black and white TV, so...........

I am not sure you are reading my message correctly. I did not say Focker is pronounced Fah ker (I never say anything about Ah, please read my messages carefully). I was saying Focker is pronouced "Flocker without the L " and Japanese O sounds like the O in flock. When a language is based on other languages, it doesn't mean it IS the other language. There are adaptations and changes.

Anyway, maybe you can ask another Japanese person, if you think he is also incorrect, then living in Japan is the only way to find out. I was just trying to point out so that others won't make the mistakes. I have to go.

Edited by Max_valk

Now I have no clue what you're saying. In one post, you quote the kana for fu/hu (where U definately makes the sound as in blue, too, shoe), and then you say it's something else entirely. First get your sh!t together, then post a reply.