https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inGUZEDJllY
Titan A.E.
FOX Animation Studios/20th Century Fox, 2000
Directed by Don Bluth (An American Tail, Anastasia) and Gary Goldman (The Pebble and the Penguin, Anastasia)
Written by Hans Bauer (Anaconda) and Randall McCormick (Speed 2: Cruise Control)
Screenplay by Ben Edlund (The Tick), John August (Big Fish, Corpse Bride) and Joss Whedon (like nobody here knows who he is...)
Running Time: 94 minutes
Rated PG for sci-fi violence and mild language.

Cast
Matt Damon (The Bourne Trilogy, Good Will Hunting) as Cale Tucker
Drew Barrymore (Gertie in E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, Julia in The Wedding Singer) as Akima Kunimoto
Bill Pullman (President Whitmore in Independence Day, Lone Starr in Spaceballs) as Capt. Joseph Korso
John Leguizamo (Luigi in Super Mario Bros., Violator in Spawn) as Gune
Nathan Lane (Timon in The Lion King, Albert in The Birdcage) as Preed
Janeane Garofalo (The Bowler in Mystery Men, Colette in Ratatouille) as Stith
Tone Loc (remember that rap song "Wild Thing"?) as Tek
Ron Perlman (like nobody here knows who he is...) as Prof. Sam Tucker

Synopsis
In the year 3028, an alien race called the Drej invade the Solar System and destroy Earth. While they accomplish in wiping out 99% of Earth's population, they fail to eliminate the top-secret project ship Titan created by Prof. Sam Tucker, who escaped in the midst of the chaos.

Fifteen years later, the surviving humans continue to live their lives as intergalactic refugees. Tucker's son Cale, who works at a salvage yard, is paid a visit by Capt. Joseph Korso and female pilot Akima. They seek help from Cale, as he holds the key to finally locate the Titan - mankind's last hope for survival. Together, they must get to the Titan before the Drej discover it and annihilate mankind for good.

Story: D+
Back in 1999, while moviegoers flocked to movie theaters to see The Matrix, they caught their first glimpse of this animated sci-fi flick. It showed Earth blown to bits, which, more or less, caught a lot of attention.

One year later, Titan A.E. was released. Unfortunately, Earth blowing up was practically the only exciting part of the movie. This movie had a lot of potential, but its lack of originality was its Achilles heel. Sure, hundreds of sci-fi flicks bite off from Star Wars and Star Trek, but Titan A.E. just bites off too much from them. Most noticeable is the Titan ship subplot, which is a rehash of the Genesis Project from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. I'd point out some Star Wars references, but there are just too many to name. Besides, I fell asleep throughout most of the film.

Even anime references are not spared from this film's lack of originality. Cale's hand map is a loose derivative of Lensman. The Valkyrie flight scene across the asteroid belt may have been a take on Macross.

The characters are just not likeable at all; maybe if the Drej got rid of them, we'd probably have a better movie than the final product. And we all know that Matt Damon and Drew Barrymore can't act, but damn - their voice acting's even worse.

But then again, if you read the credits, it's no wonder the story sucks. People who wrote Anaconda and Speed 2: Cruise Control were behind this tripe. Even the screenplay writers (read credits above), as talented as they are, couldn't save this train wreck of a story.

Instead of making headlines, Titan A.E. was simply career suicide for Don Bluth and a number of animators. It was also an early sign of the death of American theatrical animation as we know it. Titan A.E. made only $36 million out of its $75 million budget, prompting FOX to close their animation studios. Its bad luck must have also rubbed on other animated sci-fi titles like Sony's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire (don't get me started with the Nadia ripoff debacle) and Treasure Planet - all of which tanked in the box office as well.

Animation: B-
Can someone please tell Don Bluth that Rotoscope animation is dead? Titan A.E.'s character designs are just as exciting as watching paint dry on a rainy day. The 3D animation is okay, but with a budget of $75 million, it should be much better.

Soundtrack: C
There's a reason why Star Wars and Star Trek use classical music for their soundtracks: it never goes out of style. Titan A.E. just feels so '90s with its use of alternative music from Lit, Powerman 5000 and other bands no one's even heard of. Graeme Revell (The Crow, Sin City) supplies some BGM, but it's hardly noticeable.

DVD Extras: B
At least the DVD is loaded with extras, such as deleted/unfinished scenes and a making-of documentary. And there's a music video of "Over My Head" by Lit, like anyone cares.

The Bottom Line
"Planet Bob?" Skip this movie and go rent something else.

Reference
The Internet Movie Database
Wikipedia

Edited by areaseven

I remember seeing this movie on my b-day with a few friends. In the end we ended up looking at eachother and felt pretty dirty. None of us were big Matt Damon or Drew Berrymore fans.....and we thought there was alot of hype on this flick but really there wasn't.

It felt to me over time like a Heavy Metal story that got rejected by some poor fanboy who wrote the story while on the toliet taking the weakest ideas rolling them up and smoking them hoping better and more 'Wilder" ideas would come forth....which didn't.

Animation: B-

Can someone please tell Don Bluth that Rotoscope animation is dead?

LMAO. I actually told him this back in Oct when I met him at a film festival. He said he believed it works better due to the "on hand' reference for the animators. An ex-Disney employee then told him he needed to hire better talented animators if feels that way. LOL

It was also an early sign of the death of American theatrical animation as we know it. Titan A.E. made only $22 million, prompting FOX to close their animation studios. Its bad luck must have also rubbed on other animated sci-fi titles like Sony's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire (don't get me started with the Nadia ripoff debacle) and Treasure Planet - all of which tanked in the box office as well.

360604[/snapback]

Hate how movies with bad/stupid stories, flat/boring character designs and stupid marketing decisions in the early 00's where responsible for traditional animation studios going the way of the dodo.

And still, alot of the peole that are in charge think that CG means success. It's the STORIES that have made Pixar what it is today, not just pretty CG, damn it!!

Sorry, had to bend off steam. It really is sad to look how traditional animation is becoming asociated with economical suicide. Lilo and Stitch was a succes, why? Because it was a really good quality product (I laughed my ass off with that one), not something that makes you not even want to see it like that Disney flick with the cows or that boring thing with bears.

what is rotoscope animation?

360638[/snapback]

They film somebody doing something and then the animator draws over the film, frame by frame. Good for learning pacing and fluid movements, not so good after the learning phase or developing creativity, unless you're using camera angles and movement and actions that you might as well, ehm, film somebody using and doing them.

I hope I don't get ripped on too much but I actually kind of liked the movie.  Certainly not cutting edge but I thought it was good.

360662[/snapback]

heh, i actually own it, got a used copy for a few bucks, agreed it's nothing spectacular but i find it enjoyable

I hope I don't get ripped on too much but I actually kind of liked the movie.  Certainly not cutting edge but I thought it was good.

360662[/snapback]

heh, i actually own it, got a used copy for a few bucks, agreed it's nothing spectacular but i find it enjoyable

360673[/snapback]

Me to its o.k

There are some bits that are better than others. But as animations go it allright, I ve paid for worse, considering it was made with the budget that Pixar would use to keep every one in Coffe and Coke it did o.k.

There are not many SiFi movies that dont rip eaither StarWars or StarTrek, come to think of it they rip each other quite well.

what is rotoscope animation?

360638[/snapback]

They film somebody doing something and then the animator draws over the film, frame by frame. Good for learning pacing and fluid movements, not so good after the learning phase or developing creativity, unless you're using camera angles and movement and actions that you might as well, ehm, film somebody using and doing them.

360657[/snapback]

Some decent examples of Rotoscoping include Bluth's earlier works (The Rescuers, The Secret of NIMH and the first Dragon's Lair game), Ralph Bakshi's classics (Fritz the Cat, Wizards and Fire and Ice) and Heavy Metal. Bluth's 1997 film Anastasia was actually pretty good, even though Rotoscoping was already out of style.

And still, alot of the peole that are in charge think that CG means success. It's the STORIES that have made Pixar what it is today, not just pretty CG, damn it!!

Sorry, had to bend off steam. It really is sad to look how traditional animation is becoming asociated with economical suicide. Lilo and Stitch was a succes, why? Because it was a really good quality product (I laughed my ass off with that one), not something that makes you not even want to see it like that Disney flick with the cows or that boring thing with bears.

360629[/snapback]

Not just Pixar, but DreamWorks Animation as well. Sure, Antz, Shark Tale and Madagascar may be a hit or miss in terms of storyline, but the Shrek movie series gave Pixar very stiff competition.

When FOX moved to CG, they didn't do too bad with Ice Age. Robots, on the other hand, was actually a very good movie.

As for Disney, I stopped watching their animated films after Tarzan. IMO, after Walt died, so did much of the spirit of Disney animation. The only post-Walt era Disney film I like is Beauty and the Beast.

When FOX moved to CG, they didn't do too bad with Ice Age. Robots, on the other hand, was actually a very good movie.

Actually, Fox's involvement in 3D is very limited. Ice Age and Robots was all Blue Sky Studios. Fox simply funded them since they were a very small studio that primarily worke don commerscials when Ice Age was in preproduction. After the movie's success Fox bought them entirely (and destroyed their unique and uselful internship program :angry: ). Please don't give Twentieth Century Fox credit they do NOT deserve.

Instead of making headlines, Titan A.E. was simply career suicide for Don Bluth and a number of animators. It was also an early sign of the death of American theatrical animation as we know it. Titan A.E. made only $22 million, prompting FOX to close their animation studios. Its bad luck must have also rubbed on other animated sci-fi titles like Sony's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire (don't get me started with the Nadia ripoff debacle) and Treasure Planet - all of which tanked in the box office as well.

I definately agree with you about Titan AE, but I rather liked Atlantis (and still think the whole who stole from who regarding Nadia debate is insane, why don't we accuse anything of stealing from Jules Verne?) The fact that both Joss and Ben Edlund had co-writer status was mentioned at a Firefly panel. They both looked sheepish when asked if there was a creative throughline between FF and AE, they replied "was there a creative throughline in AE?", so apparantly even the writers weren't happy with it.

Edited by uminoken

and dont forget that star wars was a rip off of samurai movies and old japanese culture, just with a sci-fi twist

360681[/snapback]

True !!

It`s safe to say now that movies have been going for over 100 years that you probably couldnt make one that truely does not pull any ideas or rips from another movie or movies. Think how many 1000`s have been made. It must be getting hard for the film producers to get that new idea type thing and the risk of being sued nowadays must ad to it.

Some decent examples of Rotoscoping include Bluth's earlier works (The Rescuers, The Secret of NIMH and the first Dragon's Lair game), Ralph Bakshi's classics (Fritz the Cat, Wizards and Fire and Ice) and Heavy Metal.

:o Dude Secret of NIMH was Rotoscoping?! I had no idea, that IS an old style of animation. I think I could barely walk and talk when that movie came out, crap I still got it somewhere, use to be one of my favorite childhood shows.

Heavy Metal......I know second movies gotta been Rotoscoping.....first movie sort of felt that way.....but meh Heavy Metal isn't exactly something that I like to watch some of the stories were pretty boring. And Heavy Metal 2 having a single storyline was pretty dull......Michael Ironside just wasn't what he use to be.

I thought TAE was alright, but they hyped it up so much I expected way more.  Without all the hype I think I would have liked it more.

360702[/snapback]

I have to agree.

Like most american movies/animation it IS over hyped, but then again Hollywood 99% of the time over reachs in their greed. This would've been a small cult hit if it wasn't pushed so much. Kinda like some of the older black & whites with Vincent Price or Flash Gordan.

Wasn't the old Lord of the Rings cartoon Rotoscoping too?

Chris

360806[/snapback]

Yes it was.

So let's see if I've got this: rotoscoping involves drawing over pre-existing live footage? For example, since the original He-Man cartoons were rotoscoped, does that mean there was a live action representation of those episodes, that was then drawn over?

Wasn't the old Lord of the Rings cartoon Rotoscoping too?

Chris

360806[/snapback]

Yes it was.

So let's see if I've got this: rotoscoping involves drawing over pre-existing live footage? For example, since the original He-Man cartoons were rotoscoped, does that mean there was a live action representation of those episodes, that was then drawn over?

360813[/snapback]

Bingo.

Weak animated film. It tried hard, but was too derivative and safe. The only way north american animation will ever go anywhere is if someone takes the medium away from traditional roads and gives it some style. However, given the massive popularity of 3D animation, I doubt there is any interest to do traditional animation.

Like I implied earlier, most North American audiences will still view anything "animated" wether by traditional hand drawn animation to CG, to be targeted for the children/youth audience. Great Woe.

Because, you know, stuff like Elfen Lied is pokemon, and Patlabor 2 will never reach the ranks of being an intellectual and politically charged thriller of the Tom Clancy caliber. <_<

Edited by Spatula

Thought Titan AE was a horrid little film. Can't even remember why I rented it.

Graham

360840[/snapback]

No gay space monsters eh?! The hero doesn't wear a dress!? No pink space equipment with boobs!???

NO WONDER YOU DIDN"T LIKE IT!

Thought Titan AE was a horrid little film. Can't even remember why I rented it.

Graham

360840[/snapback]

No gay space monsters eh?! The hero doesn't wear a dress!? No pink space equipment with boobs!???

NO WONDER YOU DIDN"T LIKE IT!

360886[/snapback]

It didn't have any thickly-accented steroid-abusing Californian governors ether.