Kinda OT: Is anyone picking up the Scarface DVD?

UN Spacy

Well? I'm gonna pick up a copy after work.......

Starring: Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer, See more

Director: Brian De Palma

Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)

Format: DTS Surround Sound, Color, Widescreen, Dolby, DTS Surround Sound

Rated: Unrated

Studio: Universal Studios

DVD Release Date: September 30, 2003

DVD Features:

The Rebirth of Scarface (10 mins.)

Acting Scarface (15 mins.)

Creating Scarface (30 mins.)

Scarface: The TV Version - a look at the two versions (3 mins)

Deleted scenes (22 mins.)

Def Jam presents The Origins of a Gangsta' (30 mins).

Widescreen anamorphic format

Number of discs: 2

post-26-1064944743_thumb.jpg

I bought the collector's pack this morning on the way to work from Best Buy. It has the new DVD, the original 30's movie "scarface" DVD, several trading cards, a neat silk lined box, lobby cards and a kick ass money clip.

Some people might not pay $45 for all that but I did. Scarface rules.

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEN'!

:Raises hand:

That's a DVD set I've been looking forward to. Will be picking it up later tonight. It's ironic that there's a short movie on how many rappers love the film yet don't seem to get the point of it (considering the life style many of them live).

I saw that Def Jam special a few nights ago on cable. I was also suprised how much the people they interviewed focused on the "rags to riches" aspect and not the "cruel, sadistic and egomeniacal downfall" aspect.

Yup, and it's also included as an extra on the DVD set!

I'll probably upgrade to it eventually, but I'm still feeling burned for shelling out $30 bucks for the current "Collector's Edition" I've already bought.

Seriously, this Ultimate Spectacular Collector's Infinity Platinum Badass Edition DVD madness must come to an end. Would it be too much for the studios to put out a good DVD in the first place?

I'll probably upgrade to it eventually, but I'm still feeling burned for shelling out $30 bucks for the current "Collector's Edition" I've already bought.

Seriously, this Ultimate Spectacular Collector's Infinity Platinum Badass Edition DVD madness must come to an end. Would it be too much for the studios to put out a good DVD in the first place?

No. This way they can make more money.

I don't know... I've never seen Scarface... Perhaps I'll rent it first...

I picked it up, because of all of the hype. I've never seen the movie, yet some people are so enthusiastic about it you'd swear that it was 'Pacino's best movie, or something....

carlito's way comes in second ;)

Ah.

I'd place the characters that Pacino played in Godfather I, II, Donnie Brasco, and Heat b/f Carlito's Way.

But hey....everyone has their opinion.

Hmm...I finally saw Scarface but I'm just not getting it; maybe I need to watch the film a few more times to truly appreciate it. And if I'm short on time, I'll watch Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood video to keep the gist of the story fresh in my mind....

I think one thing that a lot of the younger people seeing this movie now in 2003 for the first time are missing about Scarface is that when the movie came out in theaters in 1983 it was not only a massive controversy from all the blood and death and cussing but it is the movie that pretty much started the whole "modern high style gritty crime drama" genre. Future movies and TV shows would emulate if not lift a lot of the ideas brought out in Scarface. I know when I saw it I was 14 and thought it was a defining moment in film... much like star wars turned sci-fi into the hot thing Scarface basically let everyone know it was just fine and dandy to cuss their face off while at the same time blowing it to pieces with an M16.

I remember most of the critics of the time saying things like "if this level of violence and vulgarity is tollerated then what can the future of movies hold?"... how right they became.

See that's why I didn't buy the Collector's Edition. It's my understanding now that anything with "Collector/Collectible" stamped on it is worthless. Every so called "Collector's Edition" has an ultimate or special edition release afterwards. At least that's what I have noticed. (still pissy about the new Alien and T2 releases)

(still pissy about the new Alien and T2 releases)

I can see being pissed about the forthcomming Alien box set, but IMO the newest T2 isn't really any better than the existing Ultimate Edition.

Except the case was really cool. :unsure:

In all honesty the Scarface Collector's Edition pack is a total waste of money, all you really get is the normal release of the DVD with a bunch of extra paper and cardboard stuff among a few other things. But I'm a sucker for the big beautiful box... I work in package design and marketing and I eat this super collector stuff up. I buy them more for the packaging than what is in them. I'm weird, huh? :huh:

Allthough I would have rather had the set come with a mini plastic M16 or a little plastic globe that says "The World is Yours!" than the money clip... the money clip is kind of tacky and does not really "support" the movie other than to be another piece of useless flash with the word "Scarface" on it. I think they are playing to the wanna be "gangsta" collector with this set more than the true fans of the movie.

But the cards inside are nice!

In all honesty the Scarface Collector's Edition pack is a total waste of money, all you really get is the normal release of the DVD with a bunch of extra paper and cardboard stuff among a few other things. But I'm a sucker for the big beautiful box... I work in package design and marketing and I eat this super collector stuff up. I buy them more for the packaging than what is in them. I'm weird, huh? :huh:

No, Just artistic. You and I are in the same boat. I too am attracted to a great design scheme.

BSU, I ignored the "extreeeme" title on it. LOL