Jump to content

Recommended Posts

That moveable section on the back of the thighs so get deeper knee bends is brilliant.  Can't say I'm in the market for another Voltron, since I'm still pretty satisfied with the SoC, but I like what I'm seeing from ThreeZero.

Side note... to me, the ability to take Voltron apart and turn him into his constituent lions is a must.  But I have to say that I'm cool with cutting all the accessories to save money.  He really only needs the sword- all the individual lion accessories wind up in a box (or a display stand, ala SoC).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it’s likely impossible, but I would just really like to see a better proportioned black LION. It always ends up looking like a Bear to me. Too much anime magic I guess.  Also for the largest lion it always has the smallest head too.  Probably the main thing that throws off the proportions to me. But if it is enlarged then Voltron’s head would look too big .  Damned if you do damed if you don’t.

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

I know it’s likely impossible, but I would just really like to see a better proportioned black LION. It always ends up looking like a Bear to me. Too much anime magic I guess.  Also for the largest lion it always has the smallest head too.  Probably the main thing that throws off the proportions to me. But if it is enlarged then Voltron’s head would look too big .  Damned if you do damed if you don’t.

Chris

That would be one of those things where an alternate head would be a welcome extra. Yeah, it would be parts forming. But, it would save the OCD from a terrible fate.:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Negotiator said:

How much

32870Y

It's either a brave or stupid move by ThreeZero to bring this out in this size and at this price point. The SOC is damn near perfect and easy to get at retail still. Same size. Or, the Blitzway is super Gucci, 50% larger and twice the money. Seems like an over-served market to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was expecting the ThreeZero Voltron size to be smaller, but at 27cm, it appears to go directly against the SOC. However, the pricing is also in the same range which makes it somewhat more pricey than expected, as the Robo-Dou line has always been a fair bit lower than Japanese counterparts for figures of similar quality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

Is ThreeZero and the Robo-Dou line a good company and line? I’m not familiar with them.

Chris

 

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Good. But I wouldn't say recent SOC good.

Interesting. I've been really happy with my Patlabor and Shin Getter Robo-Dou with size, presence, diecast content, tightness of joints and articulation. They all come with a basic stand and limited accessories.

Bandai's SoC has been great for number of accessories, a stand or accessory holder either built into a stand or separate and great name plate. They have great attention to detail but metal content and articulation are a bit lacking to me. I'm not that happy with the recent Getter Arc or Getter G as they contain more plastic than metal. Also, while SoC Voltron has been the definitive version of toy thus far, I've been disappointed with how floppy it's legs are due to how much diecast the Blue and Yellow lions have. I don't think you could pose SoC Voltron as well as what I'm seeing from from ThreeZero and have it hold the pose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MKT said:

Was expecting the ThreeZero Voltron size to be smaller, but at 27cm, it appears to go directly against the SOC. However, the pricing is also in the same range which makes it somewhat more pricey than expected, as the Robo-Dou line has always been a fair bit lower than Japanese counterparts for figures of similar quality. 

Would be nice to have a mini one to play around with and not worry too much about

Link to comment
Share on other sites

gotta say i REALLY like that threezero voltron.  i think it overall will be better than the SOC.  The articulation looks great and knowing threezero level quality in terms of finish - it'll be good there too.  i wonder how the feel in hand will be.  whiile 5pro carbotix may be the "best" or "definitive" one, the price and not knowing if you'll get a good one or one that falls apart in your hands keeps me from justifiying it.  Anyone have 1 (or more) on order? 

btw TCP has put up the 3zero  one for those wanting to pay your taxes when you file 😛 vs. up front.  i think i migh tptu a PO in there while the price is what it is...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Grey728 said:

 

Interesting. I've been really happy with my Patlabor and Shin Getter Robo-Dou with size, presence, diecast content, tightness of joints and articulation. They all come with a basic stand and limited accessories.

Bandai's SoC has been great for number of accessories, a stand or accessory holder either built into a stand or separate and great name plate. They have great attention to detail but metal content and articulation are a bit lacking to me. I'm not that happy with the recent Getter Arc or Getter G as they contain more plastic than metal. Also, while SoC Voltron has been the definitive version of toy thus far, I've been disappointed with how floppy it's legs are due to how much diecast the Blue and Yellow lions have. I don't think you could pose SoC Voltron as well as what I'm seeing from from ThreeZero and have it hold the pose.

Upon reading your post I realized I was being pre-mature and probably a little bias. 

I now think it will be a very good fight between the ThreeZero and the SOC. That said, I still stand behind my not understanding ThreeZero choosing to go head to head with the SOC which has been out forever and had what? Three runs? That particular segment has got to be pretty close to saturation.

3 hours ago, chingu77 said:

Would be nice to have a mini one to play around with and not worry too much about

I have the Titan Power to play around with. It's a riot, the sculpt is cool and effectively indestructible.:good:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. I don’t see any incentive to buy this if you already have a SoC version. There just isn’t enough here to differentiate it. Perhaps if they weathered it or made a legendary defender version I might consider it but as is it’s a pass for me.

I’m happy for anyone in the market for a classic Voltron though. If you hold out long enough you might be able to get any of these (Blirzway, ThreeZero, or SoC) at a sale price. 
 

by the way. ThreeZero is also dipping into the Robotech (Harmony Gold licensed) market. I hope these two products aren’t missteps for them because their Robo-Dou line is fantastic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

by the way. ThreeZero is also dipping into the Robotech (Harmony Gold licensed) market. I hope these two products aren’t missteps for them because their Robo-Dou line is fantastic. 

Yeah, getting into the RT market is a big risk. It's just not that big. You have Bandai which is the powerhouse. Arcadia which is a teeny tint little company that can barely hang on and Kitz Concepts which is one step bigger than a "garage" operation. There is not much room (if any) in the market. Throwing a ton of money in R&D at Macross/RT seems like an awful big risk. Bigger than Voltron.

They have had pretty good success with Transformers and Evangelion. But those are HUGE franchises compared to RT/Macross.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Yeah, getting into the RT market is a big risk. It's just not that big. You have Bandai which is the powerhouse. Arcadia which is a teeny tint little company that can barely hang on and Kitz Concepts which is one step bigger than a "garage" operation. There is not much room (if any) in the market. Throwing a ton of money in R&D at Macross/RT seems like an awful big risk. Bigger than Voltron.

They have had pretty good success with Transformers and Evangelion. But those are HUGE franchises compared to RT/Macross.

Makes me wonder if they're planning on trying to make RT/ Macross bigger now that BW and HG settled their feud...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Makes me wonder if they're planning on trying to make RT/ Macross bigger now that BW and HG settled their feud...

IDK how you would make the fan base bigger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, sqidd said:

IDK how you would make the fan base bigger.

By doing the any of the 3 thing's HG refuses to do, make new, original & "good" content. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Keith said:

By doing the any of the 3 thing's HG refuses to do, make new, original & "gooing $200+ toys.d" content. 

I'd wager that the US collectors are already pretty close to maxed out. Pulling in millennials and genz'rs I don't see happening. And little kids are not going to be getting $200 toys.

After the gen X'rs are done collecting/die off this hobby will die with it. It relies on our nostalgia and disposable income. Something younger generations have a lot less of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2022 at 8:47 PM, sqidd said:

IDK how you would make the fan base bigger.

More exposure, wider distribution of the OVA's and series,  and better promotion of the products/ series overall. One reason I ever knew about RT/Macross was the models coming out in the stores before the series did!

In other words: give the people a chance to see what we all fell in love with years ago (even if we found out it was Macross later on!)

Edited by pengbuzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

More exposure, wider distribution of the OVA's and series,  and better promotion of the products/ series overall. One reason I ever knew about RT/Macross was the models coming out in the stores before the series did!

In other words: give the people a chance to see what we all fell in love with years ago (even if we found out it was Macross later on!)

What age demographic do you see them being able to tap into?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can’t believe I missed the typical 30-second Bandai preorder window for this AFD*-exclusive SOC. <_<

CBA8844A-2BE0-4AD6-9961-E3056CE8BFFD.jpeg.c81afb22c8b8cf638bcb3d6e1bb9af23.jpeg
 

 


 

 

 

 


 

 

* AFD = April Fool’s Day 😜

Edited by Mog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...