3 hours ago, kanedaestes said:

I'm off tomorrow so I plan on doing more shots. Specifically comparison with Toynami's. I feel there aren't a lot of good comparison shots of those two

Awesome.  I can't wait to see the results.  My curiosity about the Toynami version has never been answered...

The best way to put it, the Toynami one is a floppy mess. Sure it's been out for a while but other than a stylized look it was never meant to do much. I barely holds poses and honestly I kept it in one static pose for years. Amazing what proper engineering can do instead of copying old designs and putting a slight spin on them. 

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

WOW thank you for doing all of that work.  I will say that if it hadn't been for the GX71 I would've picked up a Toynami unit eventually.  It may be a froppy mess, but I would say it's better than my 80's Go Lion which has served me well but it's time has passed.  Thanks again-cool poses and I didn't think that was possible from either versions...

Edited by myk

1 hour ago, myk said:

Curious.  Shouldn't the face of Voltron and the mouths/jaws of the lions be white instead of grey/steel colored?

The white lion muzzles seem to be consistent across almost all incarnations(a few very cheap toys have lion-colored jaws), though sometimes illustrated with a metallic sheen. Those should definitely be white, and it is one of the few dings I have against this version.

Voltron's face varies, but was white in the cartoon and silver in the original toy.  It is debatable which way it "should" be, particularly given how much other media has favored the toy over the cartoon.

I thought the same thing about the sliver mouths, but the shear awesomeness of everything else about the toy trumps that small detail. My only minor nitpick so far is that the yellow lion's number sticker won't stay down on the rocket launcher because of the round shape. Still love this thing overall. Best toy in a while.

Edited by derex3592

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 8" die-cast version, I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Is there going to be any non-Netflix way to watch this show in the future, like a DVD release or anything? I don't have a subscription and can't see myself getting it over just one show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Entertainment earth is having their 21 years sales.  
Cheers to 21 Years! Use Offer Code CELEBR8 for 21% Off Your In-Stock Order.
The place where you enter the coupon code is on the upper right of the (step 3 /payment) section of check out.

Some items
Voltron Ultimate Edition EX 16-Inch $315.99 after coupon
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TN10130#.WOBFg9IrKUk

On 3/1/2017 at 4:44 PM, Fusion said:

Is there diecast from the ones sold at Target/Amazon?? BBB has it listed as diecast with a price of $99 for all five. 

BBB Voltron

They're two different things.  However they have nigh-identical sculpts, so they look the same in pics.   The diecast one isn't out yet, and is smaller.  

• 4 months later...

Anyone catch the shortened Season 3 on Netflix yet?

Looks like they're going the

Grand Admiral Thrawn route

with Lotor.

Lotta questions and backstory that they built up in this season too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2017 at 5:44 PM, Fusion said:

Is there diecast from the ones sold at Target/Amazon?? BBB has it listed as diecast with a price of $99 for all five. 

BBB Voltron

On 4/2/2017 at 10:14 AM, David Hingtgen said:

They're two different things.  However they have nigh-identical sculpts, so they look the same in pics.   The diecast one isn't out yet, and is smaller.  

I was at Target today, with a $10 gift card from buying diapers and a $5 coupon from getting my flu shot.  I saw the diecast lions, and I thought about picking them up.  They were even on sale, at $15 a pop.  But they only had three, and $15 per limb plus who knows how much for the black lion had me a little wary.  It wasn't that long ago that I reviewed the 18" version and concluded that it had sloppy paint, cheap plastic, stupid gimmicks, and limited articulation and expressed my regret that I didn't just put that money toward the Chogokin Voltron (that's now impossible to find at a reasonable price... sigh).  The I noticed that there's an apparently Target-exclusive boxed set for $70, and my gift cards and coupons brought it down to a very reasonable $55.

I don't know if I'll do a full review again, but here's some quick thoughts.

-He's lacking some paint.  I'd have to go back to the store and look if that's compared to the individually-packaged diecast lions or if they're like that too.  Stuff like the black on the red and green lions' torsos, the silver trim on green lion, the red trim on yellow lion's back, the red marks on the black lion's chest, and the blue "glow" on red and green's cheeks, and anything on the sword but the blade.

-No electronics in the black lion, no opening cockpits with the little sleds, and no individual lion weapons.  Just five lions, a sword, and a shield.

-Engineering is very similar, for better or worse.  The lions transform the same way.  They connect the same way.  Red and green still have spring-loaded jaws.  Their folded-up hind legs still interfere with Voltron's elbow joints (only this time there isn't clearance enough to push them much to the side).  Voltron still doesn't have a waist swivel.  His ankle tilts don't have quite the same range, and his wings don't have hinges (which is, in my opinion, his biggest flaw), but the black lion gains a little neck articulation (Voltron still can't turn his head, though).  Somewhat irritatingly, the ears don't fold in for lion mode.

-Paint still got out of the lines in a few spots, but it's not noticeably thin anywhere like it was on the 18" version.

-I'm not one of those people that always thinks diecast is great, but in this case Playmate's plastic was so bad on the 18" version that it really does make the 8" one feel a lot better.

I think the bottom line for me, for the most part, is that I'm willing to forgive a bit more in an 8" toy that runs $70 (or in my case $55) than I am an 18" toy that ran me $100, especially when the $70 one has diecast and the $100 one has really cheap plastic.  I see the 18" version as a big toy that takes up too much space and was too expensive for how cheaply it seemed to be made and how poor the articulation was, while the 8" one is seems like a more reasonably-priced figure that can live on a desk.  So despite being very similar in design, I regret buying the 18" one but I'm pretty satisfied with the 8" one.

20170831_222517.thumb.jpg.6833376f0c6a567685454572134059e8.jpg

Red and green.  Notice how both are missing the black on their torsos, and green is missing the silver trim.  You can also see how bare the sword is.  The shield came out looking just like a smaller version of the one that came with the 18-inches 16-inches (sorry, I was off by two inches) black green lion.  Again, I don't know if the missing paint is why the Target pack is cheaper than the $99 5-pack I see advertised elsewhere, or if the individually-packaged lions have them (although pictures of the packaged individual lions on Walmart's website seem to indicate that they are also missing paint).

20170831_223124.thumb.jpg.ebbb83602608d578a404841acde4f696.jpg

Blue and Yellow.  Blue actually came out pretty nice.  Yellow's really just missing some red trim here and there.

20170831_223522.thumb.jpg.a2cfadd3e3f36741865451a2e4978d78.jpg

Black can't fold up his ears, he can't open his mouth without showing Voltron's face, and there's no hinges where the base of the wings connect to his back.  From this angle, though, he's got extra silver paint on the thrusters on his wings and silver on his back, which actually makes him more show-accurate than his larger coutnerpart in those regards.  You can also see that the side of the wings opposite the painted thruster is hollow.

20170831_224847.thumb.jpg.7a1b12b06e22fdbae36930fd49fffbc7.jpg

Combined up, you can see the black lion is also missing some red on his chest and gold on his collar.  You can also see that the 8" guy can't splay his wings like the 16" guy due to the lack of hinges, but otherwise articulation is nigh identical: the black parts of his shoudlers rotate, lateral motion is handled by the connectors on the green and red lions, no waist articulation, bicep and wrist swivels, limited elbows, 45 degrees of hip spread, 90 degrees forward/backward on the hips, thigh swivels, double-jointed knees, very slight ankle tilts.  If anything, the 8" guy has a little more range in the neck, although he still can't turn his head.  Transformation and combining is identical, although the yellow and blue lions don't have the button release that the larger ones do when you're taking them apart.  Speaking of taking them apart, the instructions helpfully tell you to rotate the arms 90 degrees forward, then pull/bend them across his chest to detatch them; a trick that wasn't in the larger guy's instructions, but one that Playmates directed people to do (I think peaugh did a video about it).  I'm pleased to report that you don't need to use nearly as much force.

20170831_225750.thumb.jpg.32c0272584bdde45611a9fc0a1267b89.jpg

Quick size comparison (FYI, that's Fans Hobby's Archenemy, and he's about the same size as MP-10 to the head).

I've seen some people complaining that the individual diecast lions are retailing for nearly as much as the larger ones did, and how preorders for the complete set cost nearly as much as the larger one did, and how Playmates is stupid and the larger one is a better value.  I have to believe, though, that the diecast used in the smaller one cost quite a bit more than the crappy plastic in the larger one.  I also believe that bigger isn't necessarily better; the 16" guy takes up a lot of room, enough that he's basically been in a closest for most of the time I've owned him because I'm running out of display space and I'm using what I have for Transformers.  The 16" version always felt like a waste of a little over $100 to me, but for 30% less the 8" one feels like a better buy even though he's 50% of the size, missing some details, and missing the hinges on the wings and the folding ears.  Techically the electronics, too, but I didn't care for those in the first place.  If he were made out of the same plastic as the larger guy I might have more of an issue with the price, but the diecast really makes him ok in my book.

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Red and green.  Notice how both are missing the black on their torsos, and green is missing the silver trim.  You can also see how bare the sword is.  The shield came out looking just like a smaller version of the one that came with the 18-inches 16-inches (sorry, I was off by two inches) black green lion.  Again, I don't know if the missing paint is why the Target pack is cheaper than the $99 5-pack I see advertised elsewhere, or if the individually-packaged lions have them (although pictures of the packaged individual lions on Walmart's website seem to indicate that they are also missing paint).

Blue and Yellow.  Blue actually came out pretty nice.  Yellow's really just missing some red trim here and there.

Black can't fold up his ears, he can't open his mouth without showing Voltron's face, and there's no hinges where the base of the wings connect to his back.  From this angle, though, he's got extra silver paint on the thrusters on his wings and silver on his back, which actually makes him more show-accurate than his larger coutnerpart in those regards.  You can also see that the side of the wings opposite the painted thruster is hollow.

Combined up, you can see the black lion is also missing some red on his chest and gold on his collar.  You can also see that the 8" guy can't splay his wings like the 16" guy due to the lack of hinges, but otherwise articulation is nigh identical: the black parts of his shoudlers rotate, lateral motion is handled by the connectors on the green and red lions, no waist articulation, bicep and wrist swivels, limited elbows, 45 degrees of hip spread, 90 degrees forward/backward on the hips, thigh swivels, double-jointed knees, very slight ankle tilts.  If anything, the 8" guy has a little more range in the neck, although he still can't turn his head.  Transformation and combining is identical, although the yellow and blue lions don't have the button release that the larger ones do when you're taking them apart.  Speaking of taking them apart, the instructions helpfully tell you to rotate the arms 90 degrees forward, then pull/bend them across his chest to detatch them; a trick that wasn't in the larger guy's instructions, but one that Playmates directed people to do (I think peaugh did a video about it).  I'm pleased to report that you don't need to use nearly as much force.

Quick size comparison (FYI, that's Fans Hobby's Archenemy, and he's about the same size as MP-10 to the head).

I've seen some people complaining that the individual diecast lions are retailing for nearly as much as the larger ones did, and how preorders for the complete set cost nearly as much as the larger one did, and how Playmates is stupid and the larger one is a better value.  I have to believe, though, that the diecast used in the smaller one cost quite a bit more than the crappy plastic in the larger one.  I also believe that bigger isn't necessarily better; the 16" guy takes up a lot of room, enough that he's basically been in a closest for most of the time I've owned him because I'm running out of display space and I'm using what I have for Transformers.  The 16" version always felt like a waste of a little over $100 to me, but for 30% less the 8" one feels like a better buy even though he's 50% of the size, missing some details, and missing the hinges on the wings and the folding ears.  Techically the electronics, too, but I didn't care for those in the first place.  If he were made out of the same plastic as the larger guy I might have more of an issue with the price, but the diecast really makes him ok in my book.

Those missing paints apps are rather egregious, and the sword looks incredibly meh. I really want a Netflix Voltron, but I honestly don't like either the monster 16" figure or this guy. Of the two, I'd agree this looks more manageable and quality overall, but there's still so many little things that irk me. The lack of a joint in Black Lion's ears is really dumb, tiny, but very annoying to me, but the worst offender is the lack of wing articulation, I just can't even consider a Voltron at this price point that has omitted that. I highly doubt Chogokin will bother, he's not OG Voltron, so I'm really bummed I may never add a decent Netflix Voltron to my collection.

I think Legendary Defender just started airing in Japan. Not sure what the licensing situation is, but if the show does well I could see them doing an SoC. The OG one seems to have sold well, since it's totally sold out (on that topic, how are SoC with reissues?).

Oh, speaking of SoC, did you guys see that Playmates is doing an OG Voltron? I'm sure it'll be all plastic and crappy paint, but it appears to be heavily based on the SoC Voltron. I missed getting the SoC, and the aftermarket prices are pretty ridiculous, so I preordered a set at BBTS. $40 for the black lion, $90 for the other four.

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I think Legendary Defender just started airing in Japan. Not sure what the licensing situation is, but if the show does well I could see them doing an SoC. The OG one seems to have sold well, since it's totally sold out (on that topic, how are SoC with reissues?).

Oh, speaking of SoC, did you guys see that Playmates is doing an OG Voltron? I'm sure it'll be all plastic and crappy paint, but it appears to be heavily based on the SoC Voltron. I missed getting the SoC, and the aftermarket prices are pretty ridiculous, so I preordered a set at BBTS. $40 for the black lion, $90 for the other four.

On the wiki there are some Chogokin re-releases in variant colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_of_Chogokin

Look under "Black version, recolors, and renewal versions." I own the recolor of GunBuster. Someone on the other robot forum posted that they wouldn't be surprised if Voltron got a more anime color version. Voltron is very popular, I wouldn't be surprised when there is a re-release.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You can go to something like that, mock up or not after the Chogokin version. Best to wait for a possible anime accurate Voltron. That's probably the final version of a lion Voltron that we need.

Edited by JetJockey

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 8:31 PM, Jeremy007 said:

First pic of the upcoming playmates classic voltron combined. Definitely inspired by the SOC version.  For the most part, i dig it. There are a couple things i am not crazy about but i can look past them.  I am looking forward to putting him on my shelf next to my soul of chogokin  golion.

Edit: It turns out this may just be a mock up but at least we have an idea of what it will look like. 

It's starting to turn up in stores.  So far I've been able to find the red, green, and yellow lions at Target.

IMG_20171230_201519.jpg.f82976867c7db48e60c298df4e8f6265.jpg