So quickly.....I mean it feels like last month was when season 1 came out but it's been longer than that just barely and here we are with so far a darker season 2. I giggled a bit. NEVER have I actually giggled on something Voltron.

Crazy how this show has taken off with the kids

It's earned the acclaim. It takes the basic content from GoLion and adds a compelling story with lots of strong character arcs a la the Avatar shows and has a Netflix level of commitment. I just started a rewatch with my girls this morning in preparation for season 2.

I wish it had been Netflix to have tackled Thundercats and He-Man instead of Cartoon Network since CN bailed after only a season of either and, really, the Thundercats reboot was picking up steam. Officially it was discontinued do to poor toy sales, which seem to have all been from Bandai, but Netflix doesn't seem to care so much about toys as they need content to motivate subscriptions.

This might be sacrilege, but seeing how well the story telling has been on Voltron also makes me wish Netflix would take a stab at other lesser-known series like Southern Cross, or dare I say, a fully authorized, Studio Nue backed Macross entry! (Quickly ducks to avoid incoming fire...)

Edited by Mazinger

https://mobile.twitter.com/lionforge/status/784590972604809217/photo/1

Combined mode has huge forearms, short legs and tiny feet. I've asked for better lion modes for years, but they seem to have completely ignored combined mode for it.

I think much of the issues may come down to raw scale----it's like they got red/green vs blue/yellow backwards-----the arm-lions are supposed to be the smaller ones! Swap their sizes and I think it'd look a lot better.

Well, in fairnes, Voltron isn't a human. It's a robot designed to look like a chimera made solely of lions... in which case, why does none of them have a mane? :p

Seriously, I think black lion needs a mane next time they redesign Voltron.

Wait...are those lion legs detached or hidden? Not even the SOC has managed that.

Well, in fairnes, Voltron isn't a human. It's a robot designed to look like a chimera made solely of lions... in which case, why does none of them have a mane? :p

Seriously, I think black lion needs a mane next time they redesign Voltron.

Aren't they lionesses, though?

Wait...didn't Voltron force have manes?

You guys might be thinking about Daltanious:

Or Gaiking, which looks like a lion to me. Both had manes, but I never thought any of the voltron lions were ever "portrayed" as anything other than male, if you can call it that.

Ah, Daltanious. What would have been Voltron had the US,buyer not just asked for "That anime with the lion".

The toys for Voltron Force had the insinuation of manes I believe.

But mane less lions equal girl lions in my books.

poor voltron. He was so violated.

I wonder how those guys would act if you gave them a naked girl to play with instead.

Anyway I still can't decide if I'm on board with this latest version of GoLion. It looks off and for some reason I had come to terms with toynami's stylized version. Asides from the looks, what all was wrong with the Toynami toy?

I wonder how those guys would act if you gave them a naked girl to play with instead.

Stunned silence, and then immense confusion.

Anyway I still can't decide if I'm on board with this latest version of GoLion. It looks off and for some reason I had come to terms with toynami's stylized version. Asides from the looks, what all was wrong with the Toynami toy?

The biggest problem I see is that two lions don't have "flathead screw" legs. This bothers me, as the original diecast toy is "the right Voltron" in my mind. I was hoping the Soul of Chogokin one would come with swappable lion legs, but it doesn't look like it will.

So the screw head debate is based off the original toy but when you loook at the animation only the green and yellow lions had the screw head on the lion shoulders and this figure seems to lean more towards the animation than the original toy.

I do wish there were a "Blazing" sword accessory like the Mad King figure to recreate that scene

Edited by kanedaestes

So the screw head debate is based off the original toy but when you loook at the animation only the green and yellow lions had the screw head on the lion shoulders and this figure seems to lean more towards the animation than the original toy.

It takes a lot of cues from the toys, really. The original diecast toy has more or less become the "canonical" Voltron, with cartoon aspects borrowed as desired.

Swappable legs would be a best of both worlds situation, though.

I do wish there were a "Blazing" sword accessory like the Mad King figure to recreate that scene

True that. With little LEDs in it to make it glow.

Oh God, why did I pre-order that thing...

Either

A. You are a shameless fanboy and will buy anything that says Voltron, or

B. It is frickin' awesome.

Edited by JB0

Believe it or not the only Go Lion or Voltron toy I have is the original die cast release in the 80's and the reissues from a few years ago. I'm looking to replace those die cast bricks with something sleek, sexy and modernized, like what the 1/60 V2 was to the chunky monkey. I hope this fits the bill, but I really was leaning towards the Toynami thing.

If this Bandai piece doesn't deliver I'll just blame it on exo...

Believe it or not the only Go Lion or Voltron toy I have is the original die cast release in the 80's and the reissues from a few years ago. I'm looking to replace those die cast bricks with something sleek, sexy and modernized, like what the 1/60 V2 was to the chunky monkey. I hope this fits the bill, but I really was leaning towards the Toynami thing.

The only Voltron I have at present is the 80s plastic lion set.

The ones with the cockpits. Yeaaaaaaaaaah, those things.

I used to have two of the diecast lions(green and yellow) as a kid. Loved the crap out of 'em.

I like the old blocky look. That's what my problem was with the Infinity Beast King.

I never bought the old Toynami because of their world-class quality control. That and it always looked weird to me. Sorta gangly.

Still not sure how I feel about their new mold. It is less oddly-proportioned, but also oddly DIFFERENT. Looks like they gave the yellow lion curves to match the green lion, which is a good idea, but the opposite of what I would've done to fix the green problem. (I would've made the green lion less curvy so it looks less like it came from a different set of toy robots than the other four).

I'll have more concrete opinions when/if it makes it into the hands of fans and huge photo collections come out.

If this Bandai piece doesn't deliver I'll just blame it on exo...

That sounds like a good plan to me!

Hey thanks for the link! You know that's not a bad looking version of Voltron III. Something just little bit off in robot mode but I think its easily forgotten.

Question on the limb lions' legs though: why do they look different from side to side?

Question on the limb lions' legs though: why do they look different from side to side?

"Anime accuracy"*. The red and blue lions had different leg hinges in the cartoon, instead of all four having "flathead screw" legs.

*In quotes because this isn't really an anime-accurate toy. I'm not really sure Voltron can be done with cartoon accuracy.

The green paint used on the green lion is too dark, flat and well, yuck. The original has a brighter, metallic green. For some reason this a big issue for me. I'll also concur something just is a bit off with it in robot mode overall.

Edited by Mechinyun

The green paint used on the green lion is too dark, flat and well, yuck. The original has a brighter, metallic green. For some reason this a big issue for me. I'll also concur something just is a bit off with it in robot mode overall.

Hmmm good point. Green lion was my favorite BITD...