"classic" Movies That You Piss On

Agent ONE

Here is a couple of movies I couldnt stand and couldnt live the hype:

1. Matrix Reloaded. It couldnt live the hype of Matrix.

2. Mystic River. I am sorry Clint, but that movie just sucked. I dont care how many academy awards you get.

3. The Piano. How the hell it get any academy awards?!?!?

4. Das Boot. Good god was it boring.

5. Chariots of Fire. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Nor did Ridley Scotts Black Hawk Down show the civilian carnage in the streets of Mogadishu, not what was documented by author Mark Bowden,  otherwise Scott would have never gotten real Blackhawks for the movie from the US military. You gotta take war movies with a grain of salt.

True, but you can hardly classify Black Hawk Down alongside Pearl Harbor. It leaves on a much more bittersweet note than the other two movies. While it doesn't go very deep into the massive loss of civilian life, it does end with showing the audience that the battle, no matter how valiantly fought, resulted in a political defeat in Somalia. Eversmann, at the end of the movie, admits that "Nothing's changed", and the movie allows the viewer to ask if the sacrifices were in vain. At the same time, the films shows the viewer that to the soldier on the ground, the only thing that really matters is the man next to you. At any rate it refrains from altering Mogadishu's significance and meaning in history's context by artificially grafting another battle or by cutting some other one out.

And yes, Pearl Harbor's ending was just silly, especially with the main characters again being involved in Doolittle's raid. That just stretched the bounds of believability. The movie would probably have been a lot more compelling if it ended with Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech, interspersed with shots of grieving, funerals, recruitment lines, and factory workers.

Edited by Sundown

LowViz Lurker, your midterm essay gets an F because it was not properly double spaced or proof read. Please proof read, reformat it and turn it in during my office hours.

358565[/snapback]

I don't read a single post that guy makes... Its too much work, and at the end you realize that you have just wasted the last few min reading incorherent crap.

358963[/snapback]

Hah, yeah, maybe I should have said he went over the maximum word limit?

1. Every Batman film except Batman Begins, hell... every Tim Burton film blows!

2. Robocop/Paul Verhoeven films

3. T3

4. Sin City (I actually love Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, but after dragging my woman to this film, I leaned over and apologized after seeing the first 10 minutes.)

5. Any Bond film with Timothy Dalton

1. Every Batman film except Batman Begins, hell... every Tim Burton film blows!

359219[/snapback]

Yeah those TB Batman were awful, but

i still like A Nightmare Before Christmas :p

Most musicals tend to be overrated. Perhaps the biggest example is Singin' in the Rain. Aside from Gene Kelly "singin' in the rain," what is this movie about, anyway?

And then, there's Evita. After over two decades in the music business, Madonna is still overrated. And just like Evita, The Phantom of the Opera just doesn't compare to the Broadway stage version. I'm not even gonna comment on Rent.

I haven't seen Chicago or The Producers yet, so I can't tell you whether or not they're good. Aside from South Park (Bigger Longer & Uncut), I think the last good musical film I watched was Annie (Columbia's 1982 version, not the lame Disney version).

IMHO Avoid Chicago, that was the longest time

i've been tortured by any "Movie" I wanted to walk out

but some freinds had invited me out with them and I only stayed

to be polite. Maybe others got more out of it but not me.

Edited by Macross73

Since this is MW, I expect to see every film ever made listed in this thread by the time it hits 20 pages.

359171[/snapback]

Starting to look that way...

Any movie with with Meryl Streep in it. That women bores me to tears.

Graham

359236[/snapback]

Thanks for bringing it up, the Hours was one of the worst movies of all time.

the guy is annoying.  the guy writes lame crap that appeals to highschool kids with its phoney sophistication.

terrible.  arg.  hate.

358581[/snapback]

Just because highschool kids with phony sophistication like him doesn't mean he sucks... Often famous people aren't happy with their fan following. You think Lucy Lawliss is happy about being a lezbo icon? Should we hold it against her? You think Patrick Stewart and his classic theatre training is happy with armies of dorks asking him if he asked Riker to shave his beard?

358983[/snapback]

good point, though i have never gotten the impression that Tarentino dislikes the legions of fans that think he's a movie god. I still dont' like his movies, regardless of who likes them.

another over rated movie: Scarface.

before you yell at me, go back and watch it. seriously watch it (ie: don't just have it running at a party, sit down and watch it). it's really not that good. just has some memorable lines at the end.

Just as an FYI, i dont' know what makes a movie a "Classic"

in the world of cars, ANY car thats 25 years or older becomes a legaly classic car ( you can have it registered as such and get special insurance)

Classic doesn't always mean "one of the greats"

So i kinda consider any movie in the 20 year old range to be a "classic"

maybe someone can pin down this deffinition for us.

Another one for me to add to my list (and this one):

Lawrence of Arabia

I can barely stand Peter O'Toole on a good day but 4 hours of him is more than any sane person can handle. I don't see why this movie is such a classic... it's longer than hell and just as boring.

359277[/snapback]

OMG... Shamus is freaking awesome. You need to see one of his stage performances. That would change your attitude about him.

IMHO Avoid Chicago,  that was the longest time

i've been tortured by any "Movie" I wanted to walk out

but some freinds had invited me out with them and I only stayed

to be polite. Maybe others got more out of it but not me.

359229[/snapback]

Musicals suck ass, Rene Zelwhatever sucks ass, Richard Gere takes it in the ass... Theres Chicago for ya.

another over rated movie:  Scarface.

359280[/snapback]

Amen to that. We're talking about both the original and the 'Pacino version, right?

the new willy wonka movie, while not a classic by any means, but most people and critics seem to like that piece of turd.

360469[/snapback]

Totally agree, the movie was made for child molesters, kinda like M7.

Reading this thread, its no wonder horrid movies like "The Fast and the Furious" and "Resident Evil" make money...

To quote that immortal line from Lee Donowitz, "I've got more taste in my penis." :lol:

361001[/snapback]

Keep in mind the membership. This is an anime website, consisting mainly of science fiction/animation fans. As such, they watch, read, and play sci-fi with a predisposition towards japanese entertainment. It goes without saying that the majority of members here are going to consume particular types of entertainment, typically at the expense of others.

It's also important to note that not everyone avoids quality film just because they indulge in a few guilty pleasures. I have more than a few bad movies among my collection, but I take issue with anyone who questions my taste for the film as a result.

Perhaps a more constructive topic about the film people love would be prudent at this time. This thread seems to be expended anyway.

the guy is annoying.  the guy writes lame crap that appeals to highschool kids with its phoney sophistication.

terrible.  arg.  hate.

358581[/snapback]

Just because highschool kids with phony sophistication like him doesn't mean he sucks... Often famous people aren't happy with their fan following. You think Lucy Lawliss is happy about being a lezbo icon? Should we hold it against her? You think Patrick Stewart and his classic theatre training is happy with armies of dorks asking him if he asked Riker to shave his beard?

358983[/snapback]

That's pretty funny. But I think maybe the fat stacks of cash that Patrick Stewart has reaped as result of Star Trek have eased his pain. Look at all the voice work he happily does now on low-brow shows -> American Dad, Robot Chicken, Chicken Little, car and tire commercials, etc.

Regardless of the success it usually brings, don't actors dislike being "typecast" anyway? Isn't that the reason why Pierce Brosnan no longer wants to play Bond, for example?

Regardless of the success it usually brings, don't actors dislike being "typecast" anyway?  Isn't that the reason why Pierce Brosnan no longer wants to play Bond, for example?

361062[/snapback]

I was under the impression he didn't want to be Bond anymore because he hated the scripts.

Well, if Brosnan's not happy with the script there's not much more to be said on that.

As for Stewart, it's a shame to hear that he is rather "unpleasant." I guess he really knows how to work in front of the camera, as every interview that I've seen him in portrays him as a jolly 'ol English fellow who you'd wanna' tea-up with; he seems like such a likeable guy...

I worked at the San Diego 'Con in '98, and had the distinct privelage of helping Walter Koenig check into the grounds. The hatred that he felt for the entire occasion was as plain as the nose on his face. When I asked him for his autograph, he replied by saying, "Oh God, why the hell not." He rolled his eyes, scribbled on my program guide and stomped off. His wide eyed assistant just smiled, tried to apologize and scampered after him.

What is it with these guys anyway? Talk about biting the hand that not only feeds you but makes you, too...

Regardless of the success it usually brings, don't actors dislike being "typecast" anyway?  Isn't that the reason why Pierce Brosnan no longer wants to play Bond, for example?

361062[/snapback]

I was under the impression he didn't want to be Bond anymore because he hated the scripts.

361070[/snapback]

He had a problem with the scripts but he still wanted the job...

READ:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...ndpost&p=343885