"classic" Movies That You Piss On

Agent ONE

interesting thread, i don't understand the whole Blade RUnner bashing, I think it is a great movie and the narration really helps it along. If my own books, should they ever get published, ever get turned into a movie, I would seriously consider some form of narration. In a really complex sci-fi movie you almost need it in order to help the viewer along, especially to get them up to speed with the story.

You want classics? I positively think that "The Ten Commandments" is way overrated and "El Cid" blows chunks. Although, I did like the soundtrack to "El Cid".

As for BR, I am so glad I still have my Criterion laserdisc of the original version of the movie. I really hate the crap that is for sale now.

The only thing I can fault Tarantino for is making John Travolta popular again, the guy was decent in Pulp Fiction but everything he's done since then had been garbage.

No way! Swordfish was awesome! Of course, the fact that you're arguing for Tarantino when I can't stand his stuff says we probably have different tastes anyway...

Look at Matrix Revolutions. There is an answer to whats going on in the movie. Of course you have to see Animatrix, play the video games for the cut scenes and have a background in programming, networking and theology to decipher it.

There is nothing going on in Matrix Revolutions. I've done just all of that and actually have a background in all these things, light on the networking, and there's nothing really going on. None of the ideas in Reloaded are actually really developed, and it ended up being an action vehicle without the soul of the first movie. It also made Reloaded a waste of time in retrospect, because althogh one might be lead to believe it was actually going somewhere, it was just the Wachowski brothers spewing gibberish that was never actually built upon in the last movie.

Great fan run website with more trivia about Blade Runner than most of us will ever know. Just for you Sundown

Thanks for the link, March, even if I've already made my pilgrimmage there. And it turns out that Ginrai and I are both citing that same site in our back and forth. :)

For someone who's kind of meh about Blade Runner, I really, really dig it. :blink:

Easy Rider is a flat out horrid movie.

Citizen Kane is what it is because it changed the way movies looked forever. What Orson Welles did with shots and angles has influenced every director that has come since. No single other movie in the history of film has had the influence that Citizen Kane has.

Personally, I adore Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors.

357100[/snapback]

YOU like Jimmy Stewart!??? Next you are going to tell me you like the Mets.

357103[/snapback]

You should give Jimmy Stewart some major respect. The guy walked away from a lucrative hollywood career when WWII started and flew B29 bombers in combat, only returning to film when the war ended. Show me any actor you worship today that would do that. Van Damme or Arnold? ha

*snip*

Great fan run website with more trivia about Blade Runner than most of us will ever know. Just for you Sundown

Thanks for the link, March, even if I've already made my pilgrimmage there. And it turns out that Ginrai and I are both citing that same site in our back and forth. :)

For someone who's kind of meh about Blade Runner, I really, really dig it. :blink:

357576[/snapback]

I think very highly of Blade Runner. It's one of the great science fiction classics of film, along side Star Wars, Alien, 2001: A Space Odessey, Mad Max, and The Terminator. I love them all.

I guess it's more a cult classic than anything, but The Warriors just flat out sucked. I mean, everyone always tells me how "bad ass" it is and that it's just great, but even to me it's the most unrealistic crap fest ever to hit my eyes. That's not to say I've seen worse movies though..

I have to say that Blade Runner could have been put together a little better, but I still think it's amazing. I do like the theatrical version better than the directors cut just because it feels like there's more to it, but thats it. Yeah the unicorn scene is ridiculous, but what are you gonna do? It's one shot out of the whole movie. I don't even understand how people could think Deckard is definitely a replicant by his dreams, but whatever.

But I'll concede that he might have filmed it with voiceover in mind, just as he have been undecided when he was filming that scene and filmed it long enough to go both ways.

357550[/snapback]

I'm fairly sure that the voiceover narration was put in after the first screenings because the audiences complained that they weren't able to follow the movie. Back then there was no VHS to watch the movie more than once or twice, so they added it in for people to be able to follow it the first time they saw it. At least that's what I read on IMDB. :rolleyes:

Edited by Wesker99

The only good thing about TF - The Movie, was that some Transformers actually died.

And yes I cheered when they died.

Graham

357537[/snapback]

I cheered when an autobot got nailed...

Guest Bromgrev

Bladerunner is the best film ever made, bar none (ok, Conan the Barbarian comes close). Never liked the happy ending, though. And where's my DVD, Mr. Scott?!?

Okay, voice over narration. Got my BR book out, Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner, called by most fans the Blade Runner bible, written by a journalist who was on the set a lot, talked with everyone involved, did a ton of articles over the years, et cetera.

Page 292. "Which explodes myth number two: that Ridley Scott never wanted a voice-over. Because it was Scott who pressed for the narration in Blade Runner in the first place. Says Hampton Fancher, 'Ridley was the one who initially pushed the voice-over idea. That's why it's on so many of the drafts. Scott was after the feel of a forties' detective thriller, so he liked the idea of using this film noir device.'" It goes on like this for quite a bit, finishing with, "Obviously, then, the desire to initiate the stylistic device of narration had been a very early decision of the BR team, one with the full participation of Ridley Scott."

Later on, the Appendix A (page 388), there's an interview with Scott which continues it. Author, "...But I understand you were never really comfortable with Deckard's voice-over." Scott, "No. Nor was Harrison. ... The bottom line of Deckard's narration was that we just couldn't get it. We wrestled with it and wrestled with it. ... Blade Runner's voice-over was overexplanation and ... the narration, although admittedly influenced by Raymond Chandler, wasn't Chandlaresque enough." Et cetera. Basically, it was supposed to be there, but Ridley Scott thought they botched it and just couldn't get it right, which is why he wanted it taken out. Later he says they took it out for the previews, but put it back in for explanation. "... we ended up struggling to put the voice-over onto Blade Runner not for street poetry, which was our original intention, but to clarify things. Which I think became ridiculous. So did Harrison."

So there you go. It was supposed to be there originally and all throughout production of the movie. In post, Ridley and Harrison felt they just could NOT get it right, so they took it out, and then put it back in when audiences were all confused. I was kinda right and kinda wrong, and so you were you, Sundown. Heh.

Edited by Ginrai

Holy Grail is a truly amazing movie, but I think I like Life of Brian better.... Meaning of life though, I really can't stand except for the child birth, organ donation, and fat man eating the 'wafer thin' after-dinner mint. Holy Grail and LoB are most certainly on my top ten movie list... I love everything Monty Python.

Citizen Kane is what it is because it changed the way movies looked forever. What Orson Welles did with shots and angles has influenced every director that has come since. No single other movie in the history of film has had the influence that Citizen Kane has.

Personally, I adore Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors.

357100[/snapback]

357103[/snapback]

You should give Jimmy Stewart some major respect. The guy walked away from a lucrative hollywood career when WWII started and flew B29 bombers in combat, only returning to film when the war ended. Show me any actor you worship today that would do that. Van Damme or Arnold? ha

357579[/snapback]

Yup, and he stayed in the Air Force, eventually retiring as a Brigadier General. You don't get good old fashioned patriotic movie stars like that anymore. These days, they're mostly a bunch of whining left wing chumps who pick some obscure cause and put their name on it so it looks like they care about the little people.

I feel I should stand up to defend the non-car chase scenes in Bullitt- of it's time, it was groundbreaking for a cop movie in terms of look and the general shades-of-grey it paints its world in. It pretty much set the template for the modern cop movie in the sense that the hero's fallible. In some ways the "realism" they were aiming for hurt it, as some of the scenes are a little aimless, and where they used real people for some of the smaller parts (particularly in the hospital scene) the performances aren't great.

The dirty harry movies may be overall better films, but they're polish on the template that Bullitt set out.

Without the car chase, It would still be a good cop movie. The chase overshadows the rest to the extent I don't think it gets the recognition it deserves. so many articles I've seen state the chase as the "climax" of the movie, but it's actually the half-way point.

It's only after that charger explodes that the true plot begins to be revealed.

Maybe I'm reading too much into a film I've watched many times, but the theme running through bullitt -particularly the second half- seems to be the difficulty of being in a situtaion where you're surrounded by awful actions and not letting it make you inhuman. You could almost see the Eastwood character as Frank Bullitt, ten years down the line, worn down.

Heat (another film I really enjoyed) is a case in point, to me it feels quite similar, and not only because the final scene is very influenced by Bullitt's (a night-time chase across an airport). what I didn;t like about it was the way the ending sort of wussed out with good triumphing over evil. a stronger ending would have been for Pacino and De Niro both to die, to cancel each other out.

I honestly can;t think of many "classic" movies that have disappointed me. In general I can tell when a movie's not going to be my cup of tea so I just don;t watch it. It's a Wonderful life, for example.

*snip*

Clint (well, early Eastwood) is to me what Arnie is to A1.

Graham

357532[/snapback]

I always recall a quote about Clint Eastwood's early work that always makes me laugh

"There are two types of people, those who enjoy Clint Eastwood westerns and dorks."

Course, I'm not a huge fan of ALL Eastwood westerns, but all the Sergio Leone films with Eastwood were brilliant. The spaghetti westerns...yummy!

A Fistfull of Dollars

For A Few Dollars More

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Of course, Once Upon A Time In The West is Leone's magnum opus (of the Leone westerns I mean), but no Clint in that one :)

357546[/snapback]

did Sergio Leone do the drifter series as well?

high plains drifter

outlaw jossie whales

hang 'em high

Pale rider

I might have a nice collection of pointies around the house, but my first gun purchase since getting married will be a navy colt.

357100[/snapback]

357103[/snapback]

357579[/snapback]

:o Well... ok. I did not know that, and now that I do, I have major respect for the guy. Still may not like him as an actor, but that story is just amazing. Thanks for telling me that.

I never guage my like of someone's acting to their personal life, now I think Arnold is the greatest person AND the greatest actor, but there are many actors where I like their acting, but not them as people at all. Johnny Depp for example, guy is a fukin commie, and should die for his beliefs, however I like him on screen.

*snip*

Clint (well, early Eastwood) is to me what Arnie is to A1.

Graham

357532[/snapback]

I always recall a quote about Clint Eastwood's early work that always makes me laugh

"There are two types of people, those who enjoy Clint Eastwood westerns and dorks."

Course, I'm not a huge fan of ALL Eastwood westerns, but all the Sergio Leone films with Eastwood were brilliant. The spaghetti westerns...yummy!

A Fistfull of Dollars

For A Few Dollars More

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Of course, Once Upon A Time In The West is Leone's magnum opus (of the Leone westerns I mean), but no Clint in that one :)

357546[/snapback]

did Sergio Leone do the drifter series as well?

high plains drifter

outlaw jossie whales

hang 'em high

Pale rider

I might have a nice collection of pointies around the house, but my first gun purchase since getting married will be a navy colt.

357651[/snapback]

No he didn't

The only movie I can think of off hand that I absolutely hate, but is considered a classic by most is Monty Python's Holy Grail.  It's not funny.  At all.

357605[/snapback]

BLASPHEMER!!!! I was raised on Python and love it all, though some parts of MoL were dumb I admit. Man as an engineer you practically have to be able to quote half of Holy Grail to graduate, especially the witch/duck speach.

ANYTHING with Elvis Presley. The man was obscenely overrated, IMHO.

:o  Well... ok.  I did not know that, and now that I do, I have major respect for the guy.  Still may not like him as an actor, but that story is just amazing.  Thanks for telling me that. 

I never guage my like of someone's acting to their personal life, now I think Arnold is the greatest person AND the greatest actor, but there are many actors where I like their acting, but not them as people at all.  Johnny Depp for example, guy is a fukin commie, and should die for his beliefs, however I like him on screen.

357674[/snapback]

Totally agree with you on Depp, the guy is a freak, plus he lives in France. But I liked his performance in Pirates of the Carribean.

Hour of the Wolf. God, I saw that thing in a class on Psychologie and the Cinema to present psychosis. The professor told us about how scary it was and what a good director it had, that the film and director were classic.

It was boring, really confusing, and inappropriately funny (as in I almost cracked up laughing when a character gets killed by repeated blows blows to the head by stone). The movie was good for the class objective, but damn it sucked. And here I've heard so much that Ingmar Bergman made classical movies and stuff.

I piss upon this film with a full bladder and then I pour a couple gallons of fermented piss on it. :p

The only movie I can think of off hand that I absolutely hate, but is considered a classic by most is Monty Python's Holy Grail.  It's not funny.  At all.

357605[/snapback]

BLASPHEMER!!!! I was raised on Python and love it all, though some parts of MoL were dumb I admit. Man as an engineer you practically have to be able to quote half of Holy Grail to graduate, especially the witch/duck speach.

357702[/snapback]

Actually, you just named another big reason I hate this film. People who insist on quoting it ad nauseam.

Edited by JELEINEN

I never guage my like of someone's acting to their personal life, now I think Arnold is the greatest person AND the greatest actor, but there are many actors where I like their acting, but not them as people at all.  Johnny Depp for example, guy is a fukin commie, and should die for his beliefs, however I like him on screen.

357674[/snapback]

Although Depp's political views and the ways he chooses to advertise them is wacky, I've heard that in person, he's one of the greatest and most down to earth guys. I worked with a designer who had bumped into him somewhere and they just ended up shooting the breeze for an hour or two. Very laid back.

So there you go. It was supposed to be there originally and all throughout production of the movie. In post, Ridley and Harrison felt they just could NOT get it right, so they took it out, and then put it back in when audiences were all confused.

Yeah, that sounds like a much more plausible explaination. Bouncing back and forth over voice-over/no voice-over seems like something that would happen naturally during production.

It might just be me, but Ford's narration sounds a bit hokey and hammy, as if he's trying to do Sam Spade, and not quite pulling it off. The mood of the movie and dialogue apart from the narration seems a lot more serious to me, and that hammy wryness in the narration just seems to contrast the feel of the shots, the dialogue, the story, and the background music. Maybe this is what Ford and Scott sensed too. But then again, I might have felt different had I seen the theatrical release first.

Edited by Sundown

ALL Monty Python stuff is turbo lame... Sorry man

357705[/snapback]

The humor is just over your head man.

357734[/snapback]

Yeah, the guy banging coconuts together and pretending to be a horse is so smart it is beyond most of humanity.

357605[/snapback]

357702[/snapback]

Actually, you just named another big reason I hate this film. People who insist on quoting it ad nauseam.

357737[/snapback]

I agree with that, movie quoting in general has its time and place, but I hardly fault the movie for that problem, more society in general, lol

It might just be me, but Ford's narration sounds a bit hokey and hammy, as if he's trying to do Sam Spade, and not quite pulling it off.  The mood of the movie and dialogue apart from the narration seems a lot more serious to me, and that hammy wryness in the narration just seems to contrast the feel of the shots, the dialogue, the story, and the background music.  Maybe this is what Ford and Scott sensed too.  But then again, I might have felt different had I seen the theatrical release first.

357743[/snapback]

You know, I was watching it again last night, and I do have to agree that it totally fails to get the ironic smirk that noir voice-over usually has. But the reason I think it works is because it makes Deckard look more like a depressed prick, which is pretty much how I picture him. It's definitely not clever wordplay. I DO think Ridley Scott's right and it is kind of talking down to the audience. But I like that, because I think that fits in with what a loser Deckard is. He's the same way with regular spoken dialogue. He goes to great lengths to prove that Rachael is a replicant and then when she starts crying says (totally insincerely), "Okay, I was just kidding, you're not a replicant." Ass. And that's how the narration works too. It's not that Deckard doesn't understand Gaff's cityspeak, it's that he's an ass and pretends he doesn't so he can make Gaff's life slightly more difficult. I like that.

However, it does make an unlikable character even MORE unlikable, which probably contributes to negative reactions to the film. But I still like it.