X-men 3 Pics: Beast And Angel Revealed

bsu legato

I didn't mind the Wolvy at the Mansion then cutting to the woods. Obviously some time had passed for him to get from the mansion to Alkali Lake (which I believe is where the camp was located?...or I could competly be way off).

My problem was Megs starts causing havoc in San Fran and the X-men arrive using the X-Jet, which as we all know is super fast! But how the hell did Angel fly across the country in time to swoop down and save his dad? Last I knew, Angel couldn't fly at sonic speeds until he was "upgraded" to Archangel.

That was really the only plothole I really had trouble with.

-RF

I saw it last night and left impressed actually. I guess after reading so much of the fanboy vitrol these last few weeks my expectations were pretty low. No, it wasn't as good as X2, but it closes the trilogy as best it can, considering how massive the cast was. As some have already mentioned, that's part of the problem. There are way too many mutants for an hour and forty four minute running time.

If they had the time (or the budget) this SHOULD have been 2 hours plus.They could have established the characters better and maybe the scenes could have been expanded, instead of clunky one-note dialouge that punctuated almost each scene. The scene where Angel shows up at the mansion was pretty hammy ("This was/this is"). Plus, they wasted an opportunity for Beast or Iceman to say "Welcome back Warren". That's it. One line would have established that Warren knew the school was there because he had been a student. Instead it just makes no sense. Then he flies to Alcatraz just in time to save his dad??? And doesn't fly back to help the other X-Men??? Huh?????

The most glaring error, to me, was Cyke's death. No one even mentioned him for a solid 10-15 minutes. Even my wife turned to me and asked me what happened. That's just either crap writing or crap editing. Even Prof X didn't ask Wolverine or Storm if they had found Scott. Wasn't Scott one of the original X-Men and his most devoted student? Xavier didn't even question whether they found him or not? At least put in a 30 second throw away scene where he tries to use Cerebro to find him.... Stupid, just stupid.

Despite all of that, I really liked it. When Magneto goes crazy and starts flipping and crushing cars and gets them to Alcatraz, my inner geek was very pleased with how they pulled of the effects. My wife turned to me and said "Holy Sh!!!" as Magneto moved the bridge.

Overall a B-: Some wasted opportunities and huh? what? moments/dialog and ,obviously bad wire fu, but as the end to the trilogy it holds it's own. Continuity fan boys will probably continue to hate it, but since I haven't read an X comic in over years, it worked for me. At least there weren't any ewoks throwing rock at Magneto.

Just watched it tonight. It was pretty crappy, but that's just my fanboy side. I personally can't see how better to make this movie and end it.

PS: Psylocke showed up in the ending credits. Where was she in the movie? The purple haired punk mutant?

PSS: Kitty Pryde....hot....MEOWRRR!!

Things *I* enjoyed:

-a REALLY naked Rebecca Romjin

403689[/snapback]

There's a very good reason why the camera angle and her pose was so weird... she's barely recognizable as the hottie she once was.

Proof here

404243[/snapback]

Maybe it's just me, but I actually think she looks a little better.

She's probably on her way to hitting the wall, if she hasn't hit it already.

Oh, and based on the way the movie ended with both Magneto and the Professor, this will not be the last X movie...

Edited by myk

Uh-huh.  I'm stil waiting for those major characters.

404043[/snapback]

off the of my head:

in Lord of the Rings Fellowship:

Arwen was introduced fairly late

Aragorn was introduced fairly late

In the second movie,

Theoden was introduced late

Kingdom of Heaven:

Jeremy Iron's character is introduced late, as is the King and the Queen and Saladin and his Lt... actually, all of the major characters with the exception of Bailin and the priest are killed off fairly early.

Gladiator:

Proximus is intruduced fairly late in the game.

There you go, all major characters, all introduced in the 2nd act.

off the of my head:

I've already adressed the Fellowship of the ring, it has the most bizzare narrative structure i've ever seen (it's what happens when you try to squeeze a book and half into movie form, I gotta give it to Peter Jackson for pulling it off though). So Aragorn gets introduced in act two of a four act movie, and Arwen? In the Fellowship she hardly counts as a major character, she has a total of four or five scenes and is promptly dropped.

In the second movie,

He got cured during the second act, he was introduced during the first.

Kingdom of Heaven:

Jeremy Iron's character is introduced late, as is the King and the Queen and Saladin and his Lt... actually, all of the major characters with the exception of Bailin and the priest are killed off fairly early.

IIRC they all get introduced on the bridge between the first and second acts. It's been a while since I saw Kingdom of Heaven though.

Gladiator:

That's really streatching the definition of major character. Proximo has a handful of scenes and does little to drive the plot. He's interesting sure (that's good screenwriting) but hardly major.

She's probably on her way to hitting the wall, if she hasn't hit it already.

Oh, and based on the way the movie ended with both Magneto and the Professor, this will not be the last X movie...

404250[/snapback]

Not when we have Wolverine and Magneto spinoffs being talked about....

off the of my head:

I've already adressed the Fellowship of the ring, it has the most bizzare narrative structure i've ever seen (it's what happens when you try to squeeze a book and half into movie form, I gotta give it to Peter Jackson for pulling it off though). So Aragorn gets introduced in act two of a four act movie, and Arwen? In the Fellowship she hardly counts as a major character, she has a total of four or five scenes and is promptly dropped.

In the second movie,

He got cured during the second act, he was introduced during the first.

Kingdom of Heaven:

IIRC they all get introduced on the bridge between the first and second acts. It's been a while since I saw Kingdom of Heaven though.

Gladiator:

That's really streatching the definition of major character. Proximo has a handful of scenes and does little to drive the plot. He's interesting sure (that's good screenwriting) but hardly major.

404258[/snapback]

oh, okay, I didn't realize we were going to play the "I make up the rules as we go along" game.

you asked for movies were main characters are introduced late. if you want to say that those movies don't count for whatever reason, that's fine.

If you want to say arwen isn't a major character, well, okay... sure... I don't see where you get there... you know, as she was one of the driving forces behind aragorn and all... and saves frodo in the first movie... but sure, yeah, not a major character.

And all those characters were introduced well into the 2nd act of Heaven's gate... Bailin defeats the Lt's man early on, I'll give you that, but the king, jeremy iron's character, the queen, all introduced somewhere in the middle.

and proximo is not a major character? Let's see... he owns maximus, turns him into a gladiator, he's the one who explains how he can win his freedom and then gives up everything he has including his life to free maximus.. hmm.. yeah, not major plot points at all... those are only some of the key points in the movie, but maybe that's just me not understanding the movie, since I didn't go to film school or anything.

:rolleyes:

Back to X3 itself:

I saw it last night, and will give just my main point:

It should have just been the Dark Phoenix saga. Jean and Cyclops for the whole movie. Famke did very well with what she had, she just needed a lot more. "The cure" plot quickly overshadowed what should have been the #1 X-Men story ever. Plus it lead to 1 hour of Jean just standing silently next to Magneto.

I will say I thought Magneto made a very good "substitute" for Mastermind/Hellfire club for the whole "corruption" of Jean Grey etc. We could have still had Magneto in a "pure" Phoenix movie. There was no need for a bunch of new evil mutants etc, could have just had Magneto alone (as there's little need for a villain, as Phoenix will do that herself).

And we needed flaming Phoenix effects. At least ONCE.

Things *I* enjoyed:

403689[/snapback]

There's a very good reason why the camera angle and her pose was so weird... she's barely recognizable as the hottie she once was.

Proof here

404243[/snapback]

404248[/snapback]

Prepare the Cosmopolitan mindbeams! Seriously, she doesn't look anorexic anymore. She definitely looks better.

If you want to say arwen isn't a major character, well, okay... sure... I don't see where you get there... you know, as she was one of the driving forces behind aragorn and all... and saves frodo in the first movie... but sure, yeah, not a major character.

She has maybe five scene's and is completely dropped by the third act. She barely adds anything to the story at all. Hell in the books she appears almost completely in footnotes.

And all those characters were introduced well into the 2nd act of Heaven's gate... Bailin defeats the Lt's man early on, I'll give you that, but the king, jeremy iron's character, the queen, all introduced somewhere in the middle.

Again it's been a while since I saw Kingdom of Heaven.

and proximo is not a major character? Let's see... he owns maximus, turns him into a gladiator, he's the one who explains how he can win his freedom and then gives up everything he has including his life to free maximus.. hmm.. yeah, not major plot points at all... those are only some of the key points in the movie, but maybe that's just me not understanding the movie, since I didn't go to film school or anything.

He has a handful of scenes, and a handful of lines. He's a plot device to move the story forward and a side character at best.

I'll add Aliens to the list... the little girl is introduced way late in the game. and since she's the primary motivating factor for ripley, I'd say she qualifies as a major character.

Which would be great if true. Newt is introduced in the first act (depending on the cut of the film very early in the first act).

Things *I* enjoyed:

403689[/snapback]

Proof here

404243[/snapback]

404248[/snapback]

Prepare the Cosmopolitan mindbeams! Seriously, she doesn't look anorexic anymore. She definitely looks better.

404304[/snapback]

i lov ehow they say she needs to 'get in shape' as if to say she isnt in good shape, if anything she was anorexic before and healthy now, and in much better shappe than over half the country <_<

Umm, not to overstate the obvious, but she was NEKKID!..........And it worked for the plot of the movie. Does anything else really matter? ;)

And we needed flaming Phoenix effects. At least ONCE.

Totally agree with you there, David H. Something about Jean's "Sith Witch" look just felt off. Especially when in X2, they kept peppering us with all the little Flaming Phoenix visuals.

I liked the potential in both the mutant cure and the Phoenix saga stories. But putting both stories in the same movie? It just didn't mesh all that well.

And dammit, if you're gonna show a Sentinel, show the WHOLE damn thing! I felt that they cheated on that scene with just the glowing eyes and the severed head.

All in all, it was an average movie. The potential was there for a great movie, but it just felt flat in its delivery. I'll stick with X2, and wonder what could have been with Singer directing.

I dont know anything about X-men, but I thought it was a great movie, followed the other 2 nicely.

Yeah but mog, think, with how much people arent liking the movie already, how much worse would it be if they showed a full body craptastic sentinel?

While cheesy the way they did it, it was probably better that way.

Now some retarded but important questions:

1. How is the school funded? I'm mean as they said in the movie some of the students have no place to go. So who pays for it? Even if Xavier was born into a rich family thing like cereboro and the black bird are gonna suck up a lot of money. The school doesn't make a profit.

2. What if I wan't to send my genius child to their school cause she was gifted but not a mutant. The mutant side of the school isn't really made public right? I could assume it is just a school for smart kids. Would they deny my child entry? I would then sue them.

3. Is Storm asexual? I saw the movie with someone who asked me. What is so great about Jean Grey that all these guys are in love with her. Then look there's Storm who sure it's ugly but no one is touching not even with a lighting pole.

Now some retarded but important questions:

1.  How is the school funded?  I'm mean as they said in the movie some of the students have no place to go.  So who pays for it?  Even if Xavier was born into a rich family thing like cereboro and the black bird are gonna suck up a lot of money.  The school doesn't make a profit.

Wasn't the school funded by the Hellfire club in the comics? You might assume the same thing holds true for the movie, the school is privately funded by very wealthy and powerful individuals.

2.  What if I wan't to send my genius child to their school cause she was gifted but not a mutant.  The mutant side of the school isn't really made public right?  I could assume it is just a school for smart kids.  Would they deny my child entry?  I would then sue them.

As a private educational institution they can legally limit who gets in and who doesn't. They simply put a requirement on enrollment like that you have to "be a mutant". As long as they are in no way federally funded they can legally bar admittance to anyone they want. Same legal loophole way how golf clubs bar certain people from joining.

3.  Is Storm asexual?  I saw the movie with someone who asked me.  What is so great about  Jean Grey that all these guys are in love with her.  Then look there's Storm who sure it's ugly but no one is touching not even with a lighting pole.

404572[/snapback]

With her attitude I'm suprised people don't smack her in the face more often. She came off like most of the time like a grump and other times like an icy batty in the movies.

Yeah but mog, think, with how much people arent liking the movie already, how much worse would it be if they showed a full body craptastic sentinel?

Well, you're probably right. It just irks me a little that they went the "cost savings" route with the sentinel and having the Phoenix just sport dark contact lenses.

1. How is the school funded? I'm mean as they said in the movie some of the students have no place to go. So who pays for it? Even if Xavier was born into a rich family thing like cereboro and the black bird are gonna suck up a lot of money. The school doesn't make a profit.

I'm not exactly sure how Prof. X funds the school and everything else. I ocassionally check out some of the summaries out on the web, but I'm not sure if this was ever addressed in the comic books.........I'd like to think he used his mutant powers to make himself a nice little pile of cash. ["A $10,000 check would be very generous, Mr. Senator." :ph34r:] :D

.....All this thinking about X3 made me rewatch X2 last night. Damn, it's just such a great movie!! From Nightcrawler cutting loose in the beginning all the way to the Phoenix appearing in the water, X2 was a pitch-perfect example of what a comic book movie adaptation should be like.

Well, you're probably right. It just irks me a little that they went the "cost savings" route with the sentinel and having the Phoenix just sport dark contact lenses.

I'm not exactly sure how Prof. X funds the school and everything else. I ocassionally check out some of the summaries out on the web, but I'm not sure if this was ever addressed in the comic books.........I'd like to think he used his mutant powers to make himself a nice little pile of cash. ["A $10,000 check would be very generous, Mr. Senator." :ph34r:] :D

.....All this thinking about X3 made me rewatch X2 last night. Damn, it's just such a great movie!! From Nightcrawler cutting loose in the beginning all the way to the Phoenix appearing in the water, X2 was a pitch-perfect example of what a comic book movie adaptation should be like.

404767[/snapback]

The Prof's family is rich. The X-Mansion is his family estate.

3.  Is Storm asexual?  I saw the movie with someone who asked me.  What is so great about  Jean Grey that all these guys are in love with her.  Then look there's Storm who sure it's ugly but no one is touching not even with a lighting pole.

404572[/snapback]

Not necessarily, because I remember in the 90's X-men cartoon, Wolverine had a short term relation with her and then eventually got married to her.

LOL If Kitty Pride wants Bobby Drake, she goes sneaks into Rogue's room, grabs her on areas where she is clothed and wont have direct contact with skin, and phase drop her deep into the ground then let go.

"Uh gee Bobby, I have no idea where Rogue went, but I'm sure she's around somewhere."

3.  Is Storm asexual?   I saw the movie with someone who asked me.   What is so great about  Jean Grey that all these guys are in love with her.   Then look there's Storm who sure it's ugly but no one is touching not even with a lighting pole.

404572[/snapback]

Not necessarily, because I remember in the 90's X-men cartoon, Wolverine had a short term relation with her and then eventually got married to her.

404807[/snapback]

STORM IS NOT ASEXUAL! I REPEAT; STORM IS NOT ASEXUAL!

A short list of Storm's boyfriends:

a) Black Panther (whom very soon she'll be married to.)

b)Forge

c)Dracula (long story)

d) Shadow King (another long story)

e) Horus (Egyptian God)

f) Arkon (Alien Dictator)

g) Quicksilver (Age of Apocylypse)

Also in a few Alternate realities, Storm either married or dated Wolverine & Gambit. In the ninties cartoon Storm married Wolvie in a AU show because Xavier was killled and it changed time. In the movies they don't exploit Halle's sex appeal buy giving her character a real boyfriend and that's a real shame.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Has no one mentioned the obvious plothole that Logan could have used a cure dart on Phoenix instead of killing her? Sure it would have been tough but he could have kept it behind his back while she burned the flesh off his front side walking up to her. Since he loved her so much you'd think he'd at least try any alternative to avoid having to kill her.

We find out later it's apparently a temp fix but no one knew that, and besides they could just re-juice her as needed. Or have that Leech kid hang around with her all the time.

Seems to me that any future movie should have to deal with the fact that any mutant can temporarily de-power with the serum if they need to. Like so Rogue and Bobby can get busy, or Hank to de-fur or whatever. Also, no way the government would just forget about such a serum as a weapon.

What's always gotten me about the flim Magneto is they never even try'ed to show what a massive hyocrit he was. They really should've used his jewish background to throw a good contrast on his character. THEN they might have been able to pull off the "I think I'll kill a kitten." 'tude.

The biggest and probably most continuing problems with Trilogy's and 'series' styled movies is that they don't get written with 3 or more movies in mind. Instead they are written singular and poorly, or not at all, connected to one another.

The problem with writting a series of movies is you have to hope that the 1st 2 have to do good in order for the 3rd to happen. And for the 2nd movie to happen, you have to hope the 1st movie does good enough. X-men was a gamble. And it looks like it paid off. But what if it didn't?

the only reason wolverine could get to her was she could tell his intent was to kill her. she wanted to die.

as we can see, the cure doesn't "cure" completely, she probably knew this (from her insane telepathy) and i'm certain wolverines mutant powers wern't what was keeping him alive.

if she was as strong as they made her out to be, the only reason wolverine was able to kill her is because that's what she wanted.

if she'd senced he was going to try and "save" or "cure" her, she'd have atomized him.

As for STORM storm is a beach. I coudlnt' beleive how self centered they made her. she was yelling at a guy who was blue and furry, and a girl who coudlnt' be intimate with her boyfriend, about how "not a problem" their powers are.

Seriously storm, your power is to change weather, and doens't intrude on your life, way to make a weak ass argument. i think hally berry fit the part perfectly

Edited by KingNor

Basic problem: can't go all-out with powers, makes for poor story-telling.

Otherwise:

Magneto would just kill everyone he wanted quickly by stopping their blood. (iron)

Jean would have just vaporized the entire planet, then re-made it how she wanted.

Again, having the story just be the Dark Phoenix saga would have given Cyclops a LOT more screen-time, and good screen time at that.

You know, I always wondered if Magneto could just suck out all the iron from someone's bloodstream and kill them. Hell, if I had Magneto's powers that would be one of the first things I'd try, see what the upper limit of my power is.

Once thing that bugged me was Pyro’s powers... on X2 he CLEARLY states to Magneto that he cannot generate, but only control fire... that's why he carries that Zippo lighter of his. Now on X3 he generates fire at will from his hands at will... WTF?