Ign Reports - Serenity 2 Aka Bdm Sequel

DeathHammer

Firefly getting picked up by HBO has as much chance as a snowball in hell... :lol: AS much as I want to see Inara nekkid, I'm not really down with full frontal from Captain Tightpants or Jane. Besides they already css in chinese... how would they slip in all the F words?

Serenity was a great movie, but overall attendance in the theatres this year was really bad, plus the fact that there were no stars in it that was in the tabloids or ever been Punk'd pretty much killed it. I want my Firefly back in the small screens where it belongs... well, until I can afford a giant screen that is.

I'm surprised that Serenity did poorly at the box office. Personally, I thought it was the best film of the year, heck the best film of at least the last 5 years if you ask me.

Graham

349270[/snapback]

Oh I wasn't surprised at all! A small cult following(what maybe 500k people in the US) and very few places showing it does not translate to be sales. But then again FireFly did poorly on TV also.

I totally agree with you Deathhammer! He'll need another high ratings series.

Oh I wasn't surprised at all! A small cult following(what maybe 500k people in the US) and very few places showing it does not translate to be sales. But then again FireFly did poorly on TV also.

Firefly is currently #17 on Amazon.com's top 100 (not too bad for a cancelled TV series released in 2002), I wouldn't exactly call that a cult following.

I personally blame the poor Serenity box office on a terrible marketing campaign and think a return to TV would be highly successful.

Firefly is currently #17 on Amazon.com's top 100 (not too bad for a cancelled TV series released in 2002), I wouldn't exactly call that a cult following.

LOL!

You do realize that that list flexs every hour and ONLY reflects it's number of orders compared to others in the same hour. It pretty much doesn't tell you anything other then that. Besides Star Wars has a cult following and see how well that sells!

I've read that Whedon's deal with Universal was for five films (not necessarily all Firefly/Serenity). I imagine that the DVD sales for Serenity are going to more than make up for any losses at the box office, which is probably what they're banking a second film on.

Maybe Serenity will make it back on dvd sales? Don't most movies make their money back on dvd nowadays? Don't know the figures but did Alien vs. Pred and Underworld do that well in the box-office or was it dvd sales? I know Chronicles of Riddick happened cause people found Pitch Black after it left theaters... Maybe we'll fly again that way!

Huh...I had thought Serenity actually did pretty well in the box office concidering it wasn't a major hollywood blockbuster.

Then again, I don't know what the box office totals for the movie were against the other flicks out at the same time that would make it a "poor" boxoffice movie.

-RF

Though it's been pretty high on the list since it was released. It's been in the top 10 numerous times in the past 2 years. Name another TV show DVD set that has appeared past it's initial release. Hasn't happened.

Edited by Gaijin