Why do I avoid reading anything in this thread for months at a time? Book readers can't help but open their mouths about what is (or isn't) going on in the novels past what we've seen in the HBO series.

If as a reader or viewer you are interpreting the characters in A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones as heroes/villains or protagonists/antagonists, you are missing almost everything George R.R. Martin is trying to accomplish with his writing and doing his stories a terrible disservice.

The purpose of this series is to examine the humanities with adult eyes, to understand why people of both extremes (honorable or nefarious) succeed and fail. The story highlights why the strengths of these characters allowed them to attain power and why those very same strengths are the weaknesses that lead to their failures/deaths. It is a very realistic look at human nature and power. In particular, Martin's work highlights why the idealistic/honorable people we claim to want in power actually make for utterly awful politicians and why the manipulative/selfish also fail us through their actions under the guise of pragmatism.

Yes, this series can sometimes be terribly depressing. This series can also be at times be one of the most rewarding and entertaining stories ever told. George R.R. Martin and Benioff/Weiss craft entertainment that doesn't treat the viewer like a child; it assumes you're grown up enough to handle these harsh issues. There's no shortage of entertainment that infantilizes us and allows us to escape reality (that's why we all love Macross); but A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones isn't one of them. That isn't a "cliché"; that's called greatness.

If as a reader or viewer you are interpreting the characters in A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones as heroes/villains or protagonists/antagonists, you are missing almost everything George R.R. Martin is trying to accomplish with his writing and doing his stories a terrible disservice.

The purpose of this series is to examine the humanities with adult eyes, to understand why people of both extremes (honorable or nefarious) succeed and fail. The story highlights why the strengths of these characters allowed them to attain power and why those very same strengths are the weaknesses that lead to their failures/deaths. It is a very realistic look at human nature and power. In particular, Martin's work highlights why the idealistic/honorable people we claim to want in power actually make for utterly awful politicians and why the manipulative/selfish also fail us through their actions under the guise of pragmatism.

Yes, this series can sometimes be terribly depressing. This series can also be at times be one of the most rewarding and entertaining stories ever told. George R.R. Martin and Benioff/Weiss craft entertainment that doesn't treat the viewer like a child; it assumes you're grown up enough to handle these harsh issues. There's no shortage of entertainment that infantilizes us and allows us to escape reality (that's why we all love Macross); but A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones isn't one of them. That isn't a "cliché"; that's called greatness.

Well said.

True enough on how the show unfolds. But if some of these major plot lines are not tied up somehow by the end of the story I will take a hating to the whole thing. Characters whose story arcs don't seem to be going anywhere (Arya, Bran, Dany).

Arya deserves a medal for all the stuff she has gone through so far...

True enough on how the show unfolds. But if some of these major plot lines are not tied up somehow by the end of the story I will take a hating to the whole thing. Characters whose story arcs don't seem to be going anywhere (Arya, Bran, Dany).

Arya deserves a medal for all the stuff she has gone through so far...

Possible spoilers for book stuff (I'm keeping my response VERY vague and general, so it SHOULD be safe, but just in case...):

Even in the books, Bran and Arya (less so Danys) are being developed slowly, as if being cultivated for the books yet to come. At one point, I thought I knew where Arya's story was heading. I no longer do.

Possible spoilers for book stuff (I'm keeping my response VERY vague and general, so it SHOULD be safe, but just in case...):

Even in the books, Bran and Arya (less so Danys) are being developed slowly, as if being cultivated for the books yet to come. At one point, I thought I knew where Arya's story was heading. I no longer do.

IMO, Arya's story seems to be going in a pretty random pattern. At least with Bran and Dany, there's a major change in their situation by the end of book 6. Arya seems to be stuck in the whole Faceless Men thing.

You mean book 5 ^^^^^^^. Don't be getting my hopes up for six. Also Arya is not as random as it may seem. It looks like she is in assassin training like she wanted.

Sorry, yeah I meant book 5. Now that you mentioned it, Arya's path doesn't seem so random, but she seems to be stuck there in that temple longer than necessary, plotwise. It's like Martin's purposely dragging out her training in preparation for some major revelation in the coming books. I suspect he might be planning for her to play an important role in the finale.

Sorry, yeah I meant book 5. Now that you mentioned it, Arya's path doesn't seem so random, but she seems to be stuck there in that temple longer than necessary, plotwise. It's like Martin's purposely dragging out her training in preparation for some major revelation in the coming books. I suspect he might be planning for her to play an important role in the finale.

That's what I'm expecting, definitely.

And yeah, if he doesn't deliver... head on a stake, skull on a platter, body left for the birds and dogs, an' all that.

That's what I'm expecting, definitely.

And yeah, if he doesn't deliver... head on a stake, skull on a platter, body left for the birds and dogs, an' all that.

Well, there's certainly plenty of him to go around for the birds and dogs. Seriously, I'm concerned about that man's health. Here's hoping he lives long enough to complete book 7, and maybe go on to write a few more books. Then again, waist size is no guarantee of good health. I mean, David Gemmell (google Waylander and Legend if you don't know who he was) looked as fit as any man his age could get, and his heart just gave out one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to finish season 3 yesterday. Excellent stuff, so many things happening to many different characters all over the place.

The Red Wedding felt like a punch in the gut, and my mrs. declared she was dropping the series on the spot (yet her resolve crumbled the very next day when I put the last episode on LOL).

I\m slowly coming along with the novels (currently finishing the second one). Can anyone tell me if the 3rd season contains all the storyline from A Storm of Swords? Or did they have to leave some material out for the 4th season?

Got to finish season 3 yesterday. Excellent stuff, so many things happening to many different characters all over the place.

The Red Wedding felt like a punch in the gut, and my mrs. declared she was dropping the series on the spot (yet her resolve crumbled the very next day when I put the last episode on LOL).

I\m slowly coming along with the novels (currently finishing the second one). Can anyone tell me if the 3rd season contains all the storyline from A Storm of Swords? Or did they have to leave some material out for the 4th season?

It does not - roughly half the book is in the third season. There is also some stuff in the later books that makes it into the third season as well though. (on the fifth book now)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

GoT is known for slow season openers, but I have to say this 4th Season is the exception. The new season hit the ground running and featured a lot of story in just one episode. Great new character introductions, some amazing action, good acting and we got to see almost everyone.

About the recasting of Daario Naharis, I'm actually shocked that this hasn't happened that often in 4 years of GoT. Just have to go with it and hope it works.

GoT is known for slow season openers, but I have to say this 4th Season is the exception. The new season hit the ground running and featured a lot of story in just one episode. Great new character introductions, some amazing action, good acting and we got to see almost everyone.

About the recasting of Daario Naharis, I'm actually shocked that this hasn't happened that often in 4 years of GoT. Just have to go with it and hope it works.

I'm definitely looking forward to the events of this season, as someone who has now read all the books that are currently out, twice. I believe Gregor Clegane, aka The Mountain that Rides, has been re-cast three times, he isn't very prominent, but I do remember liking the original actor the best, with a show this big it is definitely inevitable that some re-casting is going to happen.

Pretty good premiere episode, I don't like some of the re-casting, but I guess that is inevitable.

They had to replace one actor--with a better actor--because the original actor left to go do a movie. His loss, not ours.

They had to replace one actor--with a better actor--because the original actor left to go do a movie. His loss, not ours.

I like the original actor's look better, as for better actor, that remains to be seen yet. The new actor will probably grow on me, time will tell.

That hour sure flies by. Thoroughly enjoyed the season opener

I really love some of the odd "couples" that Martin put together. Jaime Lannister and Brienne, Arya and the Hound...I cannot put my finger on why, but they just really work for me.

[season 1 spoilers]

I've resisted watching this series because I started to read the novel a few years ago and I found it a bit boring and I couldn't finish it. I figured it would mostly be soap opera stuff... which it is, but luckily the violence and acting keep it interesting. I had nothing to watch after College basketball was over so I said frakk it.

I know nothing about the series except that the Red Wedding is bad (I Don't know who it's bad for yet.) and I had an idea that Sean Bean would have some problems, I just wasn't sure when.

Anyway, I found Lord Stark to be a bit of a coward. He seems to cave in to every demand of him for his "honor". I understand that he is suppose to be the good guy in this tale... for want of a better word. But he just struck me as weak and spineless most of the time. Maybe that's the point, but every time he had a chance to make a stand and show some balls he goes the other way and gets in worse and worse circumstances.

I find a lot of the sex scenes to be completely ridiculous. Not because I'm a prude... I love a nice rack, but some of them are shoe horned in so poorly it kind of makes you wonder how pathetic HBO thinks it's fans are.

The dwarf is fantastic. I really love watching him act out his character.

I was a little bummed that Drago and his son died. I was looking forward to a Mongol type invasion from the south. Oh well. I'm sure it will build up another way.

Anyway, I was sucked in pretty quickly and I blew through the first season in a 4 days. Looking forward to catching up.

Edited by Gakken85

[season 1 spoilers]

I find a lot of the sex scenes to be completely ridiculous. Not because I'm a prude... I love a nice rack, but some of them are shoe horned in so poorly it kind of makes you wonder how pathetic HBO thinks it's fans are.

I've been saying this for years. Totally agree.

With that being said I give you this :)

Chris

IMO, it's prudish. The nudity in GoT get's more press than a pregnant woman brutally murdered by stabbing her to death through her womb on screen. Yes, we all understand the sex is gratuitous, yes, we know HBO does it to gain the unsophisticated fratboy demographic and yes, we all nervously laugh together watching parodies so we can cope with the unfathomable horror that some day an erection might appear on screen...but it's prudish no matter which way it's spun.