Just finished book five.

Sucks, what happened to Jon in the end--slim chance of his surviving, but you never know. Damn, I'm afraid there might not be any Starks left by the time the story ends! And yet those damn Boltons and Freys are still around, and getting stronger than ever.

I used to root for Danaerys, but the way she handled the Sons of the Harpy and her dragons didn't sit well with me. I know she's supposed to be a young girl and all, but still....

The side I'm least interested in is the Ironborn, for some reason.

I've no idea how HBO is going to film the seige of Meereen.

Tell me about it...

I've been fortunate enough to have missed any Martin fans like this, but I know well from my many other days past in other fandoms what it's like to deal with them :) Thankfully the musical parodies are more entertaining, LOL.

dunno why some people get bent out of shape becuase the show differs alittle. the damn author is on set with the series so if anyone knows what to do with the characters its him,if hes cool with it why isnt everyone else.

Not that ANY adaptation needs justification for being an ADAPTATION, but George R.R. Martin is actually WRITING episodes of Game of Thrones aside from being a co-executive producers of the show :)

LOL.Not that ANY adaptation needs justification for being an ADAPTATION, but George R.R. Martin is actually WRITING episodes of Game of Thrones aside from being a co-executive producers of the show :)

So if anything, people are actually getting an extended look on certain elements from the books directly from the original author's head. No reason to complain there... :lol:

I received my Iron Throne form BBTS. It's a pretty cool little display piece.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be 'The Hand' of that particular queen. Most taxing I can imagine.

I've been fortunate enough to have missed any Martin fans like this, but I know well from my many other days past in other fandoms what it's like to deal with them :)

Honestly, I have no problem with either the book fans who refuse to watch the show, or the show fans who refuse to read the books. The only people who bug me are the former fans who say that GRRM "totally sold out" after Book Three and is now doing it "for the money."

Those people simply don't understand that Books I~III were Act I, and that Act II requires quite a bit of setting up...

I just started reading the first book, do the books and the show differ significantly later on? Having already seen the show I don't want to read the book if there is not a significant difference, the writing is great but I only have so much time ina day - and there are lots of books I have not read yet.

I just started reading the first book, do the books and the show differ significantly later on? Having already seen the show I don't want to read the book if there is not a significant difference, the writing is great but I only have so much time ina day - and there are lots of books I have not read yet.

Yes, there are MAJOR differences... with many more to come.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, reading will lead you to he BIGGEST theory that we..the readers....are still waiting to have confirmed. R+L=J

Chris

Yeah, that's the theory that I've arrived at too... Which traditionally means it's wrong. (I've just finished the first book).

Heavy episode tonight. I was actually warned it was going to be harsh, but wow...

I gather this means book three will stretch well into season 4.

I find this show frustrating. The protagonists never accomplish anything. Not only do they die but they die horrible deaths. Aside from Jamie, non of the antagonists ever get paid back. Even then they played that out sympathetically for Jamie. Strangely I can't stop watching. I just hope some of these guys get paid back in a satisfiying way.

I find this show frustrating. The protagonists never accomplish anything. Not only do they die but they die horrible deaths. Aside from Jamie, non of the antagonists ever get paid back. Even then they played that out sympathetically for Jamie. Strangely I can't stop watching. I just hope some of these guys get paid back in a satisfiying way.

Welcome to life.

I hear this argument all the time about this series, either the books or show. That it is realistic because it isn't being stereotypical or cliche because the good guys don't always win and such. While I get that and understand what they are saying....the series is becoming just as cliched, but just on the other side of the coin, in that the antagonists seem to always win in one way or another.

Yes, in real life bad things happen, and good people die/ loose ect.....but so do the bad guys. I also have read the books so I know what is still to come...

Chris

I hear this argument all the time about this series, either the books or show. That it is realistic because it isn't being stereotypical or cliche because the good guys don't always win and such. While I get that and understand what they are saying....the series is becoming just as cliched, but just on the other side of the coin, in that the antagonists seem to always win in one way or another.

Yes, in real life bad things happen, and good people die/ loose ect.....but so do the bad guys. I also have read the books so I know what is still to come...

Chris

I've read through the end of book 3 and started book 4. Don't worry, the bad guys do not "win". (Nobody wins or loses all the marbles as such) I certainly hope the epilogue of book 3 ends up being shown in the final episode for this season...

It is also very hard to say who the good guys really are, Tyrion is neither good nor bad, same can be said for Jaime. The other "Kings" are a mix as well. Since the book/show is based on actual history it should be expected that there is no clear good/bad guys - or winners/losers. (I heard the Red Wedding was based on some event called the Red Dinner - now I will have to get a history book on the subject)