This sounds kinda ass-backwards to me, honestly.

Seriously, as good as the show may be, the books are better. It's THEM you don't want to spoil! B))

Okay... but you're saying that because you've read the books to compare them with. I haven't, yet. So I'm avoiding to have spoilers revealed by reading the books first.

Okay... but you're saying that because you've read the books to compare them with. I haven't, yet. So I'm avoiding to have spoilers revealed by reading the books first.

So, start the first book now. By the time you finish the second, the season will be done, and you can decide for yourself if the books are better or not.

So, start the first book now. By the time you finish the second, the season will be done, and you can decide for yourself if the books are better or not.

I'm weak. If something is as good as it's claimed to be, then I end up reading everything of it.

I'm weak. If something is as good as it's claimed to be, then I end up reading everything of it.

Again, I'm not seeing the problem here...if you end up liking the books more, you won't want to wait for the series. And since the series is an adaptation of the books, made at least partially for people who have read the books...then what's the worry?

Again, I'm not seeing the problem here...if you end up liking the books more, you won't want to wait for the series. And since the series is an adaptation of the books, made at least partially for people who have read the books...then what's the worry?

This. As a side note, I found it was harder to read/re-read books for which I had already seen the show for (season 1 to book 1). My brain would try to match every character in the book to a face I had see on TV even though I had read some of the books prior to the show coming out.

IMO if you like the show, the books should just be read. They are richer, more in depth and the show is beginning to take way too many liberties with the plot for my taste.

IMO if you like the show, the books should just be read. They are richer, more in depth and the show is beginning to take way too many liberties with the plot for my taste.

Is the series' plot deviating from the books?

It's started to in some ways yes.

Daenarys having her dragons stolen for example, never happened. Also things like having one (or more, cant recall) of her Bloodriders die didn't happen in the book either. There are also smaller things too, I don't recall Jon Snow ever fighting or disobeying the Lord Commander like in the beginning of season two, Joffrey never forces hookers to beat eachother etc.

Now I'm going to avoid the books. I tend to remain loyal to original material, and when stuff like that happens it annoys me, and might put me off the series.

Then again the first couple of books were written a while ago, and perhaps the author suggested such changes? Or is HBO completely in charge of the show?

Martin is/has penned some scripts for the show and I believe serves as a producer in some capacity. But I also know he's stated that the books are the only thing that serve as canon.

I get that some liberties have to be taken because it's a show, but the changes they are making have totally put me off. So I can see your point Omega, when I was watching I would regularly get "this didn't happen in the books" or "this didn't happen this way" moments in almost every episode.

Martin is/has penned some scripts for the show and I believe serves as a producer in some capacity. But I also know he's stated that the books are the only thing that serve as canon.

I get that some liberties have to be taken because it's a show, but the changes they are making have totally put me off. So I can see your point Omega, when I was watching I would regularly get "this didn't happen in the books" or "this didn't happen this way" moments in almost every episode.

This is what mainly put me off The Walking Dead series. Eventhough I still watch it, and have accepted it's an alternative realm, I still facepalm during most scences. The once a month comicbook gets me more excited as it's the original canon.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I just finished A Dance with Dragons, and thus I'm all caught up...

And uh,

I refuse to believe that Jon is dead...but other than that, GREAT SHOW, GRRM!!! While the 4th and 5th books lack the propulsive plotting of the first three, I still thought they were great, and expanded the world greatly.

Looking forward to Book 6!!!

Edited by Gubaba

I love the series so far, glad to hear the books are different since I will be reading them.

If you've just been watching the series... whatever you THINK is gonna happen, ain't gonna happen.

I tell ya, Book 5 is real game-changer... even more than Book 3.

If you've just been watching the series...

Yes, just watched the show so far. I'm not even up to date with that, I think I've seen up to episode 6 of season 2 so far.

Looking forward to the books, but I've got a pile of about 20 still to read as well...

Yes, just watched the show so far. I'm not even up to date with that, I think I've seen up to episode 6 of season 2 so far.

Looking forward to the books, but I've got a pile of about 20 still to read as well...

Put them aside.

I tell ya, Feast for Crows alone is nearly 1000 pages, and I finished it in, like, a week. Once you start 'em, YOU CAN'T STOP!!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

No, I think people look at the later books wrong. Book 3 is a huge climax, but you can't go from that to more climax. 4 and 5 are kind of a reset situation yet pushing the stories forward. You are introduced to a lot more people and get more info on what's going on, but there aren't as many epic battles like book 3 and that's why people are "bored" with them. I for one love all the books and the last 2 were great.

Yeah book 5 was really good, but book 4 was.....I don't know. Just got really sick of Cersie. Book 4 was definitely the weakest book so far, IMO.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I've thought about reading the books, but I've heard that the later books arn't as good as the first few... Is that right? :unsure:

Yeah, I agree with Kanedaestes... the first 3 books are Act I. They have a beginning, middle, and end, and that end is on a high (or low, depending on who you're rooting for). Book 4 suddenly introduces a whole bunch of new characters, at a point when you're thinking, "What the hell!? GIVE ME THE PEOPLE I CARE ABOUT!!" But if you keep reading, be patient, and trust the author, you will be rewarded. And Book 5 ends up superbly setting the scene for the final act.

Edited by Gubaba

Well, the first episode of season 3 was once again a strong opening to the season. I liked Tyrion's meeting with Tywin, especially getting a hint of the kind of home life he must have had living with those jerks. Margery ingratiating herself with the people of King's Landing was a great political maneuver and I enjoyed how much Cersei hates on her for it. It was also good to see those dragons getting much bigger and nice to see Daenerys with an army around her. I really enjoyed the sequence that showed the giant among the Wildlings. Good effects and nice sense of scale. I immediately thought they looked about 10-12 feet tall just based off the scene and was astonished to find that once I googled it, that is the exact height of those creatures in the book. Overall a great episode and I'm definitely excited for the series.

I'm at the point where I'm not sure if I like GoT, or dislike it.

The only character in the book I like at all, or find at all interesting, is Tyrion. Everything else is increasingly difficult for me to tolerate.

The only character in the TV show I like at all, or find at all interesting, is Tyrion. The fact that Dinklage is a fantastic actor only improves this. I'm really only watching the TV show because I know what awesome stuff he'll get to do.

Shame his character kind of petered out in books 4 and 5.

I think something "funky" must have happened with Martin after book 3. The first three books of the series are fantastic, but the last two are... excessively verbose and tedious. Reading on the series, he originally intended to do a time-skip after book 3, and book 4 would have started several years later, with Daenarys invading (finally). How awesome would it have been if Martin had been able to sustain the pacing of the first three books like that? So awesome, that's how.