Awesome. Feel free to chat us up anytime. We love talking about this.

Be sure to use spoiler tags, though.

^_^

Heh...same as I did when I caught up with BSG, I guess...

Anyway, the Lannisters (I think)

just sent an assassin to kill poor little Bran.

That's where I am.

Wow! You have a long, long, LONG way to go! Hehe :D

I just finished book 4. Not bad but definitely the weakest in the series, to me, thus far. These books are massive and after reading books 1-4 back to back to back to back, I a bit burnt out. I think I'll read the new Dresden book and possibly something else before I tackle book 5 :wacko: Besides, it's not like book 6 will ready anytime soon :blink:

Chris

I just finished book 4. Not bad but definitely the weakest in the series, to me, thus far. These books are massive and after reading books 1-4 back to back to back to back, I a bit burnt out. I think I'll read the new Dresden book and possibly something else before I tackle book 5 :wacko: Besides, it's not like book 6 will ready anytime soon :blink:

Chris

Oh, believe me, I know I'm way behind...

At the same time, my usual rule is not to start any epic series before it's finished, so in way, I'm way ahead of where I ordinarily would be.

By the way, how much of the book does the series cover? When can I safely start watching it?

Chris

Actually, I would recommend jumping into ADWD right away. ADWD and AFFC are concurrent for most of what happens, and then ADWD keeps going about 2/3 of the way through with the AFFC storyline joining in. It will probably be better with AFFC fresh in your mind.

Oh, believe me, I know I'm way behind...

At the same time, my usual rule is not to start any epic series before it's finished, so in way, I'm way ahead of where I ordinarily would be.

By the way, how much of the book does the series cover? When can I safely start watching it?

You can watch the whole first series when you are done with the first book.

Yeah I thought they did a really good job following the book. Some minor changes here and there but over-all the stayed really close to the book....even put a few seens from book 2 in the final episode. My understanding is that each season will cover a book...though I thought I read somewhere that some of the later books may take more than just 1 season. I also read somewhere....take with a grain of salt......that GRRM gave the HBO producers a broud outline of where the saga will go and how it will end....in case he doesn't finish the last 2 books for some reason.

Well, I guess I need to purchase the next book and start reading! "takes a deep breath and prepares to dive back into Westeros."

Chris

Chris

Don't worry book 4 will only be the weakest until you read book 5. A lackluster effort from Martin on it. I hope he picks up the pace in book 6.

Has anyone finished Book 5?

Yeah, I finished it. I won't spoil anything but I was discussing it with a friend and we both agreed that it was the weakest book so far. The whole book leads up to NOTHING.

Personally I got the impression that by the end he was just rushing to get the book out and wasn't really putting any real effort into it because the first half of the book is still good.

He supposedly had the book half done by the time AFFC came out and it still took him 6 years to finish it, how long will it take him to write the next book now that he has to start from scratch?

Yeah, I finished it. I won't spoil anything but I was discussing it with a friend and we both agreed that it was the weakest book so far. The whole book leads up to NOTHING.

:( I was actually hoping it would be better that AFFC. Good thing I decided not to start reading it yet (same reason as Dobber).

this what I hated about what happened with the Sword of Truth series after the 6th book. (btw, TV adaptation looks like shiet compared to GoT). And this is also why I didn't bother starting the WoT series until after the end was on the horizon... just slap a "New York Times Bestselling whatever" on the book, rake in the money and keep the readers hanging. <_<

I might just wait for the rest of the books to come out before I continue reading this series... good thing there's the new Thundercats series :lol:

I finished Dance with Dragons a couple weeks ago, my friends and I didn't think it was weak, but it is a "middle book" as a stand alone story it wouldn' tmake any sense but its not a stand alone story and it has set up a number of events and characters that obviously are going to play a huge role in the finale of the series. Plenty of signficant events happen in the book and it was basically playing catch up with a bunh of characters storylines that were cut from the last one due to length. I still have high hopes for the series ending very strong.

Here's a list of the things that I think were crucial to the storyline that happened in Dance with Dragons

Arya's training

Jon Snow's decisions regarding the wildlings and "Demise"

The Greyjoy - Bolton storyline

Danaerys fall and subsequent bonding with Drogon

Although far too brief, Brienne(undead?) leaving with Jaime

Tyrions trials leading to his deal with the sellsword fleet

And there were several more seemngly minor events that you know as a GRRM reader are likley to end up being critical to the storyline. Anyhow, all that to say that everyone wasn't disappointed with the last book, or that last two for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished watching season 1 in the last couple of days. I'm very impressed with the show's presentation and characters, regardless of faction and house. I'm surprised with what's been done with certain characters. Holy s**t! Season 2 can't start soon enough. For the first time in years I'm addicted to a show.

When I get back into the US, I intend to hunt for the books to get the "original," more fleshed out view. Regardless, I love what the show itself has done.

Okay...I finished the first book last week, and I'm now about 300 pages into Book Two.

I also watched the first episode of the show, and...I didn't like it. Most of the adult actors are perfectly cast, but the kids are all too old...and as much as I tried, I couldn't get past that fact.

Still the production values were excellent and the Others were really well-done.

Edited by Gubaba

• 2 weeks later...

Finished A Clash of Kings and braved the promised (but unmaterialized) typhoon to get A Storm of Swords. Still loving the story, but one of my good friends recently told me that the first two are the best, and that the political intrigue dies down in favor of "OOOOH!! DRAGONS!!!" after that...

Edited by Gubaba

Finished A Clash of Kings and braved the promised (but unmaterialized) typhoon to get A Storm of Swords. Still loving the story, but one of my good friends recently told me that the first two are the best, and that the political intrigue dies down in favor of "OOOOH!! DRAGONS!!!" after that...

your friend is an idiot.

I would disagree with renegadeleader1's mom's statement then. :ph34r: I don't think it's all "OOOOH DRAGONS!!" at all. I thought book 3 was pretty darn good, but found book 4 a bit harder to get through because I thought it was too much "political intrigue" and back stabbing and hardly any action.

I would disagree with renegadeleader1's mom's statement then. :ph34r: I don't think it's all "OOOOH DRAGONS!!" at all. I thought book 3 was pretty darn good, but found book 4 a bit harder to get through because I thought it was too much "political intrigue" and back stabbing and hardly any action.

Well...let me see if I've got this straight. The books were originally planned as a trilogy. Book I turned out to be too long for a single book, so a quarter of it was cut and saved for Book II. So when Book II came out, GRRM announced that the series would comprise four books. Then he realized the last book would probably become two books, making the total five. There was meant to be a five-year break between books III and IV, but GRRM found filling in the gaps difficult, so he decided to write another book to fill in that time. Once written, it turned out to be too long to publish as a single book, so he chopped it into Books IV and V.

Do I have that right?

And, if all the above is true, there seems to me a strong possibility that Books VI and VII could eventually become several volumes on their own, as well.

Anyway, my point is that if Book IV wasn't part of his original plan, that might account for its lack of action.

Meanwhile, I'll ask renegadeleader1's mom for more (but SPOILER-FREE) clarification.

• 6 months later...

Read the first book after watching the series and like it even more. Ordered the second book and looking forward to it. Must admit that I'm a bit wary of starting a saga that hasn't ended yet (yeah that's you Berserk), but I'm reading that George Martin expects to finish before the TV series catches up to him? LOL. In any case, I'll cautiouly follow this thread since this seems a very easily spoilt story.

Never watched it or read the books.

For two reasons.

1. I don't have cable. I hear it is like Lord of the Rings with T&A. Is that why it is popular to watch?

2, I've seen a picture of the author. What an old, ugly, perverted looking Santa Claus fellow. He totally looks like he's going to molest someone.

2, I've seen a picture of the author. What an old, ugly, perverted looking Santa Claus fellow. He totally looks like he's going to molest someone.

Most people who become authors (as opposed to, y'know, movie stars) do so because they've got talent but are not good looking.

Give ugly people a chance, man!

Never watched it or read the books.

For two reasons.

1. I don't have cable. I hear it is like Lord of the Rings with T&A. Is that why it is popular to watch?

Your loss.

Your loss.

Agreed, after reading the series I subscribed to HBO just for this show. I got my mom to read the books and I'm letting my parents piggyback my HBO Go account so they could watch the series on their iPads. My wife likes the show too, just have to make sure the kiddies are in bed when it's on.

[...] 2, I've seen a picture of the author. What an old, ugly, perverted looking Santa Claus fellow. He totally looks like he's going to molest someone.

:huh: This is one of the most prejudicial opinions I've heard lately...

Joffrey slap for the win. They're not holding back this season.

Looking good. I liked the first episode.

Well I'm very happy so far with the whole series.

Really wish though in this new season that the clashes on the battlefield will be shown.

I know it's about production costs, but would be great if it's added.

Edited by Omegablue

Well I'm very happy so far with the whole series.

Really wish though in this new season that the clashes on the battlefield will be shown.

I know it's about production costs, but would be great if it's added.

I heard HBO gave the crew a huge chunk of cash devoted to an episode called "Blackwater."