Well that was a big change from the book....what happened between Jaime and Cersei. I never really minded the other changes the show has done from the books, but last nights change did. Really kind of ruined Jaime for me. :(

Chris

Well that was a big change from the book....what happened between Jaime and Cersei. I never really minded the other changes the show has done from the books, but last nights change did. Really kind of ruined Jaime for me. :(

Chris

I live in Japan. I can't see the show as quickly as some can...

I live in Japan. I can't see the show as quickly as some can...

At least you'll get to see the show in its entirety. To call the local censorship board trigger-happy is an understatement--swear words, gore and even non-nude "love scenes" end up on the chopping board even if the movie's rated for mature content...like there's even any mature content left in it. <_<

I wouldn't even have known what happened to Cercei and Jamie if I didn't browse the GoT threads here.

Just to make things clear.

There shall be NO talk of the TV show in this thread. No facts, no theories, nada. Nothing. Keep this thread confined to the books and the books ONLY.

Sorry, that's confusing...

People that have read the book should be able to talk about the show here since they are way ahead. But they can't go into the TV only thread and spoil the show for the non Got/SoI&F readers. If it happens again, BOTH threads will be locked and no more George RR Martin discussions in MW.

Just to make things clear. There shall be NO talk of the TV show in this thread. No facts, no theories, nada. Nothing. Keep this thread confined to the books and the books ONLY.

Huh? Why is that?? Like EXO said that is a bit confusing and a bit over the top. It spoils nothing for show watchers since we have read the books. So what your saying is we can NOT talk about what we know is comming on the show because we already read it????

Chris

It's fine... let's go with my plan. I really appreciate azrael's trying to help me out. He probably didn't think I'd peek in here but I did just to see what he wrote because I knew he doesn't read nor watch the show and he didn't realize the logistics. Thanks azrael!!! :)

I think this is the best and most peaceful way to do it. Let's let this be the spoiler thread. And please if you read the book... avoid the other thread at all costs. Thanks!

It's all good EXO :) I read the books, but can keep my mouth shut about them in the TV thread. I just treat it one episode at a time like I don't know what's going to happen. ;)

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Just to remind you kids again.

You've read the books? You have a questions about the books? Want to compare the books with the TV show? Wanna talk about the TV show with knowledge of the books?

THIS IS YOUR THREAD.

Wanna talk just about the TV show and no books? Wanna stay spoiler-free from those pesky book readers? Wanna focus just on the TV show and nothing else.

YOUR THREAD IS HERE: Game Of Thrones - TV SERIES ONLY - Book readers stay out!

So the show is catching up fast right, like really fast? I believe Danny's stuff is officially into the events of Dance of Dragons, and most of the pairings that characters are in are their current ones in the book, like Brienne and Pod. I'm worried, at this rate they may have one more season's worth of content before they've caught up to the books, they're quickly running out of things to cover in both Essos and Westeros. The big question is when will I actually be able to pickup my year and a half old pre-order for Winds of Winter?

So the show is catching up fast right, like really fast? I believe Danny's stuff is officially into the events of Dance of Dragons, and most of the pairings that characters are in are their current ones in the book, like Brienne and Pod. I'm worried, at this rate they may have one more season's worth of content before they've caught up to the books, they're quickly running out of things to cover in both Essos and Westeros. The big question is when will I actually be able to pickup my year and a half old pre-order for Winds of Winter?

Yeah, the TV series is quickly catching up to the books, and will probably overtake the books if Martin doesn't finish the next book, pronto. That said, I heard that Martin's already handed out some notes to the writers and/or producers containing details regarding the rest of the story, in case he either dies of old age or fails to complete the books before the TV series catches up.

The TV series also seems to be deviating a little, which is refreshing, to be honest.

I seriously hope they cut out most of the stuff with Danaerys's political struggles in Slaver's Bay. While it wasn't boring, it seems to just stagnate there, like Arya's training with the Faceless Men.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Martin has done incredibly well with pacing*, considering that the series has become far longer than even he suspected. Books 1~3 are Act I, Books 4 and 5 are Act II (hence the introduction of a whole slew of new characters). I'm not sure if Act II is done yet, though. Act III should commence with either Danys returning to Westeros or the Others invading.

* I've never known what people mean when they complain about "pacing."

Edited by Gubaba

I think Martin has done incredibly well with pacing*, considering that the series has become far longer than even he suspected. Books 1~3 are Act I, Books 4 and 5 are Act II (hence the introduction of a whole slew of new characters). I'm not sure if Act II is done yet, though. Act III should commence with either Danys returning to Westeros or the Others invading.

Complete disagreement, he has characters running around and doing things for no reason - namely Aria and Tyrion (and lets not forget Dragon lady, and while I'm on it the whole sideshow with Dorn was/is filler too). Sure, he will come up with a reason for it in the end but it was not part of the original idea, he let himself get carried away with some "extras" he decided to tack on while writing. His saving grace is that for the most part it is still very good.

• 10 months later...

Yeah that is the second big change this season. First with Jamie going to Dorn and now Sansa taking the role Jeyne at Winterfell.

I think both book storylines can still be done and served with the changes that the show made...Jamie's continued redemption arc and then everything that happens in Winterfell....just done in a "tighter" narrative keeping it with major characters instead of bring. Back small ancillary characters that no one remembers.

I guess the difference really just depends on what Sansa's story will be in the book's

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Count me among those who thinks Cersei manipulated Jamie into going to Dorne (the necklace story is either a ruse or a plot hole, because we've seen more than two of them in the show, despite what Cersei told him) to get him out of the way and perhaps punish him for letting Tyrion go.

This also possibly sets up Jamie as the valonqar.

Oh I've thought that from the get go that Jamie was the little brother and not Tyrion. I was surprised the show left off that part of the prophecy to Cersie.

Chris

So is Lady Stone Heart going to show up or are they abandoning that all together? I know they did'nt show her in the show when she was introduced in the books....but are they ever going to use that as it should be effecting Breans story soon.

Chris

So is Lady Stone Heart going to show up or are they abandoning that all together? I know they did'nt show her in the show when she was introduced in the books....but are they ever going to use that as it should be effecting Breans story soon.

Chris

I'm thinking Sansa is taking on that role as well.

So the show finally brought R+L=J to the screen, and in a big way. I wonder how many show watchers caught it?

I think that finally some people are starting to put the pieces together. But then again it could be that it has been spoiled so many times over the internet that people are just reacting to that.

I think that finally some people are starting to put the pieces together. But then again it could be that it has been spoiled so many times over the internet that people are just reacting to that.

I'm seeing next to no chatter about it online that isn't book-reader related.

I've been thinking the way the show is going we may get two true parents for Jon Snow R+L for the show and some "what a twist" parents for the books. I do love the series but GRRM has re-written basically the entire story multiple times.

Super early draft... maybe spoilers? Like Catelyn taking Bran and Arya past the wall and Jon/Tyrion/Arya love triangle...

http://watchersonthewall.com/george-r-r-martins-original-plan-game-thrones/

and the planned time skip between books 3 and 4/5

After A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords, Martin originally intended to write three more books.[16] The fourth book, tentatively titled A Dance with Dragons, was to focus on Daenerys Targaryen's return to Westeros and the associated conflicts.[23] Martin wanted to set this story five years after A Storm of Swords so that the younger characters could grow older and the dragons grow larger.[32] Agreeing with his publishers early on that the new book should be shorter than A Storm of Swords, Martin set out to write the novel closer in length to A Clash of Kings.[26] A long prologue was to establish what had happened in the meantime, initially just as one chapter of Aeron Damphair on the Iron Islands at the Kingsmoot. Since the events on the Iron Islands were to have an impact in the book and could not be told with existing POV characters, Martin eventually introduced three new viewpoints

So I know you can't rush art but I've had a feeling that half the time GRRM doesn't even know where its going half the time. 14 years 2 books.

Then again he could have Wheel of Timed us with half a dozen "filler" books.

Wait what? Jon/Arya/Tyrion love triangle? Well I'm glad that bit the dust.

I find the amorous logistics of it rather baffling too.

I'm seeing next to no chatter about it online that isn't book-reader related.

Which shows that it was still too subtle for people to pick up on it. But the seeds have been sown.

I think Gakken85 takes the cake for the most unique theory I've heard:

"Are you talking about the Sansa and Littlefinger Speech where they sorta hinted that Ned banged Lyanna and hid Jon as a bastard?

I picked up on something like that the first time I watched and Stannis said, "That's not Ned's way." But I thought he was talking more about not raising him as a bastard."

Not making fun, just really surprised by it is all. First time I ever heard that theory.

Chris

Calling it now: Melisandra sacrifices Shireen to resurrect Jon, and in return Jon runs Melisandra through with Longclaw, causing the sword to ignite in a blaze of flame. The prince that was promised.

That's just how I'm feeling watching the show right now. Great episode, BTW. I think we can boneyard the Griff storyline for sure, now.

Edited by Duke Togo