The Xbox 360 Thread!

Whoah, that alone will be enough to get me signed up for Xbox live. Can you guys imagine how much fun that's gonna' be?! Wolf, count me in as your wingman...

That alone will be enough for me to buy a 360! :D Right on, we'll be Wolf Squadron B))

It's going to be an expensive fall.

Hmmn, reading about the 360 Elite, it seems that its new quiet DVD drive has been in regular 360's produced since December. I *will* have one of those new drives, I'm just trying to decide how. Basically two options:

1. Trade in/sell current 360, buy new one.

2. Trade in/sell current 360, buy new Elite version.

What's the going trade-in rate for a 360 Premium at EB? Or maybe I should try selling it here. It doesn't have that many hours on it, I only own 2 games...

GS by me told me $150 on my premium, so i told them to take a hike, i'll give my old 360 to my son and get the elite for myself, only if it has the 65nm processor, else, i'll wait until the new processor comes out and get the elite then. i don't really need a black 360 just to have one.

i'm sure there will be a green Halo 3 360 coming out in November...

:lol:

GS by me told me $150 on my premium, so i told them to take a hike, i'll give my old 360 to my son and get the elite for myself, only if it has the 65nm processor, else, i'll wait until the new processor comes out and get the elite then. i don't really need a black 360 just to have one.

i'm sure there will be a green Halo 3 360 coming out in November...

:lol:

The Elite won't have the smaller chip, just a quieter drive. I'd hold off for the smaller cooler chip, since the bulk of the 360's problems are heat related.

Wait for the PS3 version? :lol: MMm... Zephyr/360 Elite?

Correct answer would be for the smaller chipped 360's assuming they would actually run cooler. Ah, 360, if only your hardware wasn't the most problem prone of any console released to date. Least the PS problems surfaced past years.

Friend bought a 360 2 weeks ago...3 red rings after 1 week playing Halo and Gears for no more than 2 hours a day. The replacement one from Wal-mart? GOW stutters and freezes all the time. Disc plays fine in other 360's that aren't having problems. So it's going back for a 3rd replacement in 2 weeks.

Good hardware marred by poor quality. :wacko: Unacceptable to me but apparently a lot of people accept it. Just like the original PS1..people just took it and bought another. :wacko:

Correct answer would be for the smaller chipped 360's assuming they would actually run cooler. Ah, 360, if only your hardware wasn't the most problem prone of any console released to date. Least the PS problems surfaced past years.

Friend bought a 360 2 weeks ago...3 red rings after 1 week playing Halo and Gears for no more than 2 hours a day. The replacement one from Wal-mart? GOW stutters and freezes all the time. Disc plays fine in other 360's that aren't having problems. So it's going back for a 3rd replacement in 2 weeks.

Good hardware marred by poor quality. :wacko: Unacceptable to me but apparently a lot of people accept it. Just like the original PS1..people just took it and bought another. :wacko:

My 360 gets A LOT of use and I don't have too many problems with it. When I leave a game in there, boot up to the dashboard and then start the game from there, I get "dirty disc" errors sometimes...and sometimes the 360 doesn't even recognize that there's a disc in there...but those two problems don't occur often...if at all. Moreover, I've never had a problem when I've inserted a disc...nor have I ever had over-heating problems...nor the 3 red rings.

I'm not trying to dismiss your friend's problem or anything...just that I don't know of a single piece of hardware that doesn't have it's problems. Be it gaming consoles...PCs...or Macs...they all have problems one time or another. Hell, I consider myself a computer nerd...and so do my friends. I maintain my PC very well...defragmenting often...making sure I have the latest updates...clean installs....AV...no spy/malware...you name it. Yet, I have problems with my PC every now and then because the software and hardware is never perfect. So to you nay-sayers about the 360...wake up and realize that there isn't a single piece of hardware out there that doesn't have it's problems.

Ok, no elite for me, I can wait for the 65nm one, besides, it will be in white again to match all the controllers I have already.

My 360 was made in Feb. 2006, I have only had the 3 red rings when playing certain parts of Dead Rising. I've never had a problem with it with any other 360 game I have (Gears, DOA, Star Wars, Perfect Dark, GRAW).

I don't have any extra cooling things for it, it sits with at least a foot on the left and right side and 6 inches of open air above. It gets hot and it's noisy, but it hasn't overheated yet. My brother had one of those cooling systems where it has the power plug passthrough and it ruined his system, thankfully, he had a warranty through Best Buy and they just replaced it.

360 issues seem 100x more common than any other system ever though.

And yet it's still the overall best next-gen system.

Microsoft has agreed to fix/replace any broken systems for free, so I'm not sure what else people want. As new iterations of the system come out.

For the record, my 360 locks up once in a while (a LOT during Worms, actually) and it sucks, but it's certainly not enough to cripple the awesomeness of the 360.

I agree it's the overall best on a games/price/technical level, and will likely be my primary system for this gen. It's just noisy, hot, finicky, tempermental, and I'm already on my second one, and will soon be trading it in for a third.

My 360 gets A LOT of use and I don't have too many problems with it. When I leave a game in there, boot up to the dashboard and then start the game from there, I get "dirty disc" errors sometimes...and sometimes the 360 doesn't even recognize that there's a disc in there...but those two problems don't occur often...if at all. Moreover, I've never had a problem when I've inserted a disc...nor have I ever had over-heating problems...nor the 3 red rings.

I'm not trying to dismiss your friend's problem or anything...just that I don't know of a single piece of hardware that doesn't have it's problems. Be it gaming consoles...PCs...or Macs...they all have problems one time or another. Hell, I consider myself a computer nerd...and so do my friends. I maintain my PC very well...defragmenting often...making sure I have the latest updates...clean installs....AV...no spy/malware...you name it. Yet, I have problems with my PC every now and then because the software and hardware is never perfect. So to you nay-sayers about the 360...wake up and realize that there isn't a single piece of hardware out there that doesn't have it's problems.

Except he's not the only one with problems. It's fairly widespread and common, much moreso than any other consumer hardware I've come across. I won't go into the personal experiences, nor the fact that a good 60% of people I know with 360's have had them fail within weeks to just under a year. That's just not acceptable. You don't see Macs or PC's failing like that, nor any other gaming console. The lockups are un acceptable. It is either a faulty design or build quality is beyond shoddy.

I'm not oblivious to hardware failing as a common thing, but this is above the norm. Nor am I so jaded as to the software for it to realize that the 360 is one serious failure prone console which would be fine if it failed after 2 or 3 years...most are dying out with under a year's worth of use and many in weeks to a couple months. Heck, even the Walmart and Gamestop in my area confirm that they get daily returns of 360's, moreso than any other electronics device they sell. It needs a serious revision badly.

And yet it's still the overall best next-gen system.

Microsoft has agreed to fix/replace any broken systems for free, so I'm not sure what else people want. As new iterations of the system come out.

For the record, my 360 locks up once in a while (a LOT during Worms, actually) and it sucks, but it's certainly not enough to cripple the awesomeness of the 360.

You are a more patient man than I. ;)

I dunno, what do people want? a system that doesn't break? :rolleyes:

Some of my wife's students and some of my friends have had their 360s die on them. Didn't matter if they were launch or newer consoles. That's probably about 20 out of 35 people. The 360 might have the best games but the system failures have kept me from buying it.

Surprisingly, the PS3 hasn't had too many problems(aside from the price and not many good games). Unless no one is buying it lol :p

You know, I've had my system since early this year and have never had a single "red ring of death" or other problems. Only one single time during an extended play session (4 hours plus) of the Tony Hawk demo did the system exhibit signs of slowdown and "lag" which I have not seen since. The only real problem I have encountered with the hardware is that the wireless network adapter doesn't "lock" into place when the Nyko Intercooler is on and I had to put a small piece of gaffer tape between the two to prevent this strange buzzing rattle when the system was running.

Now, mind you, I don't play this thing every day. Heck I'm lucky if I get to play it for a few hours one day a week. It's standing upright by itself in the open on top of my entertainment center just below my TV. It has nothing else around it to block it's cooling yet the thing still gets hotter than the sun after about half an hour of playtime. Hearing all the negative reports on heat and other problems I walk on eggshells when playing it and shut it down after about an hour just to let it cool off.

Here's a tip, don't move your system while it's plugged in and on.

I was at the academy last summer for a few weeks taking a class and since they now have hi-speed internet in the dorms, I brought my 360. I was playing Dead Rising and a bunch of guys came in so I had to move the system around. I didn't bother turning it off, I just picked it up and moved it. I guess the power cord wasn't pushed in all the way and the power cord actually got burned from being moved. At first, MS told me that they weren't going to cover it because that's the usual damage from the Intercooler. I advised them that I did not have an Intercooler and they asked if I moved the system while it was turned on. They said that might have caused it if I didn't have the cord pushed in all the way. They sent me a new power cord and brick right away. Nothing was wrong except for the scorch marks but they wanted to replace it anyway.

yestarday i got those red lights one the machine, i thought I was sol and my machine was dead.

I turned it off for a few minutes and turn it back on, and it was working fine again.

what does this mean? i got lucky? or is my machine close to death?

this is my 2nd machine since Blackfriday 2006, only about 4 months.

You should be ok, I've gotten three lights before, after shutting off the system and letting it cool, it seems to be working.

In fact, I have not seen the ring of death since I stopped playing Dead Rising.

Granted, I only play Gears, Halo 2, UNO, and Billairds nowadays. I'm not taxing the system that much.

I'm just waiting for the Halo 3 beta to come out. I wasted my money preordering Crackdown to get the invite for my son (I got my invite through the Rule of Three) since he said to let his Live account expire next month since he isn't really interested in playing online anymore.

Wonder if GS would let me return it since I haven't opened it yet.

I bought my 360 a little over a week before christmas 2005 and have never had any problems. It sees tons of use and I also have the HD-DVD add on drive as well. From day one I put little rubber feet under my 360 though, and they raise it up about 1/2 an inch. I also have it horizontal and the power brick has nothing around it either. Also it isn't resting on carpet.

I got my first system on launch day November 2005. The system was always used and played on top of a computer printer cart. The power brick sat on a flat, wooden floor.

After 8 months of use the system slowly died out over a 2 week period. It was during some of the hottest days of last summer here in Omaha (it was around 100 degrees at that time); the south room on the top floor of the house is where I got my TV and game systems and it was probably 10 to 15 degrees warmer up there then it was during the winter. I had the 2 year warranty so everything was covered and I had a refurbished system 3 weeks later.

Like my old system, I keep this system on a computer printer cart in the open with plenty of ventillation. The power brick sits on a flat wooden floor also with plenty of ventillation. For the first five or six months, I was using the Nyoko Intercooler, but after I had a 3 red rings incident I think back in January (may have been a power surge), I decided to research a little bit more about the Intercooler and people's testimonies. The big argument against it is that the way you are bypassing the 360's own power input puts an additional strain on the 360's CPU. I stopped using the Intercooler back in January and have been fine since. Besides, if this system breaks down, I don't want to risk nulling my warranty especially if the Intercooler was a cause. Because of Gears of War, I have probably put more hours on my system these past 7 months then I did with my first 360 during its 8 months of use.

The main thing for anyone with this system is to keep it cool and well ventilated. Also, and this goes back to when my first system went bad and what the Microsoft reps were telling me, I make sure to turn off my 360 with the power down option on your personal settings side window; doing this instead of using the power button on the machine is suppose to help clear up the systems memory.

Other then my one system break down, I have enjoyed my Xbox 360 and the whole 360 experience immensely. I have no regrets picking this over the PS3 (my PS1 and PS2 were my primary game systems over the last 10 years).

Edited by Apollo Leader