The Xbox 360 Thread!

I'll tell you what caused my red ring of death, in great detail: system sat on a shelf in dry, room temperature climate with minimal exposure to sunlight, without being touched, or talked/sung to for a long period of time. Then the tray was opened, a brand new game was placed inside, the tray was closed, and the power button was pushed. Voila! 3 eerie red lights appeared where there should have been green (I asked my wife if she believed Satan could possess an Xbox at that moment) and then nothing happened. And nothing will happen, until I either machete my way through Microsofts' red tape to get my 360 repaired, or go trade in my useless one for a new or refurbished system at Game Crazy. I'm hoping for new, and then I'll ask for an immediate refund. If they won't refund my money, then I wonder if anybody around Mworld would like to buy an [Xbox 360 w/hard drive + 2 wireless remotes +headset +ethernet cable + HD/AV cable <---all brand new] +Gears of War + (brand new) Crackdown + Gears of War carrying case (brand new) + USB cooling fan attachment (brand new) + DVD remote.... I think that's everything.... for OOoh... let's say, around 600 bucks?

-- I forgot to throw in "Free Xbox Live Silver."

Feel for ya. My launch 360 pooped out in July after 8 months of heavy use. Fortunately I had gone with the 2 year extended warranty so my refurbished system and shipping and everything was totally for free. My refurbished system has worked fine since August (almost 7 months now). The only other system I ever had problems with was my original PS1 which I got at launch in September 1995.

Since you just got the system, you should be covered by Microsoft's warranty which is now for a year.

Well, I bought my Xbox 360 (Premium ver. w/ free remote) when it launched back in Nov '05. I've played several games both on and offline, hooked up the HD-DVD drive, downloaded countless arcade games/videos/shows, linked it via wireless media connect to my PC, and even took it with me for a 5-month deployment to the dessert...and the damn thing works like it was just bought today. I have never experienced any overheating issues or any other notable problems...I guess I was just lucky. I better knock on some wood, less my luck change.

Edited by Sephiroth

My xbox 360 doesn't come on anymore. It just flashes red lights. I just bought Crackdown. I didn't even get a chance to play the f--kin' thing.

Sorry to here about that. I am on my second system. The first died after 8 months but I was having issues before then that Microsoft support could not help me with. I had the EB Games warranty and just took it back and got a new one. I have never had a system crap out on me before. Now the issues I had with the old one I do not have with this one like using the wireless headset with a wireless controller. I had to hook up a wired controller just to use the wireless headset.

It gets even better. It turns out the punk at game crazy who sold me my system lied to me. He said I could bring in my system at any time and trade it in if it had problems, because I paid for the two year plan. Now today, I am told at two separate stores, that they won't honor their replacement warranty until Microsoft's warranty runs out in a YEAR.

So I call up Microsoft, and they tell me "Oh yeah, we'll fix your Xbox for free. But YOU have to pay to have it shipped all the way to TEXAS for repairs." I told the guy on the phone nothing personal towards him, he was a cool guy, but Microsoft has just lost a customer for life, when it comes to console gaming. Nothing but Sony and Nintendo for me from here on out. I am incensed. It cost me 20 dollars to ship that f--ker to Texas.

When I get that thing back in the mail, I'm sending it straight to ebay along with all my accessories and games. Hopefully it'll help take a chunk out of my new PS3 budget... if anybody actually WANTS to buy an Xbox 360 anymore. Piece of crap. *&%$#@!@#$$

I believe you're refering to the newer, cooler running chipset that in the end is more efficient than the current model. Heat reduction is the theme for the new version...

HDMI and a 120GB hard drive. To be sure, if I didn't misread the previous pages.

Expect it to compete with the PS3, and it is going to be the same price.

So more hard drive space, cooler system,etc.

Edited by Ishimaru

Oh wow. Is the super-sized HD really necessary? Maybe that's why the 20g PS3's have stopped appearing in stores...

Me and my mate are both planning to get 360's later this year after we have both changed residences.

So it's newbie question time!

Do the newer machines still have these red ring of death issues?

Any other major issues to look out for?

Any chance of another price cut on the horizon?

Sorry for all the questions guys. :)

Me and my mate are both planning to get 360's later this year after we have both changed residences.

1st. Not really, but it does rise up once in a while.

2nd. Don't have your system close to a wall, as my friends Xbox360 literally melted his wall paint off. :p

3rd. None for now, just wait for Zypher, it's your best bet. It will have better cooling(Alot better I heard), twice the HD space of the PS3, 1080P availability for HDMI, HDMI :lol:, a controlled power supply?,and it is priced the same, and did I mention it could come in black?

1. All Xbox 360s have red ring of death issues. Mine was a new one, that didn't get much play time, and I just paid to have it sent to the repair factory.

2. Be prepared to shell out extra bucks for extra warranties, and be ready for your system to die, which I'd say it's an 8 out of 10 chance it's indeed going to die within 2 - 8 months of purchase. So if you don't mind shipping your system out periodically to have it repaired, while paying for the shipping, then the 360 is for you! Oh, and once all your warranties are expired, you might as well buy a new 360 - that'll save you money in the long run, 'cuz you'll get new warranties for your new system which will probably inevitably have to be repaired.

3. After I chatted with the guy on the 1-800-4myxbox line, who was very honest with me and really cool despite the fact that I was pissed off (but not at him) it seems that Microsoft has a very real and very huge problem with the red ring of death and massive amounts of people needing system repairs. Microsoft has recently issued a new proclamation that repairs on 360's are free, but you gotta' pay to have it shipped to them. With all these problems, I'd say a price cut OUGHT to be on the horizon... but now Microsoft has got to fund all those repairs and re-shippings.

:D

You guys keep talking about Zephyr....but is this firm news or just rumours?

In the newest EGM, the Xbox 360 Microsoft Vice President Peter Moore was interviewed and asked point blank about the Zephyr. He dismissed it as internet rumor and nothing more. The rest of the interview reads like a fair take on the current status of the gaming industry, unlike the last EGM interview with the Sony rep who was living in la-la land. Take that as you will.

What I was dissappointed most about was that Armored Core 4 got a 4, 4 and a 6.5. :(

I believe the zephyr is coming out. It has to come out with a bigger HD because Microsoft just partnered with AT&T for whatever they plan on doing. They are supposed to be offering some deal with AT&T also, too bad I already have DirecTV and AT&T.

If I wanted to pay MS all that $$ to d/l movies and tv shows to my 360, that 12 gb HD isn't going to cut it. That's why they have to release the zephyr with the bigger HD.

Oh, I say 12gb, because when my system was new, it only had 12gb free. 8gb is reserved for some reason.

Define "la-la land", please?

La-La land is the place where people believe the PS3 was a big success, is worth the ridiculous price tag, has good games and offers the best experience. This is SCEA's CEO and president, btw, not just some "rep."

Best quote: "If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it." :rolleyes:

Oh, I say 12gb, because when my system was new, it only had 12gb free. 8gb is reserved for some reason.

That's for the system cache as well as swap space when loading games.

I believe the zephyr is coming out. It has to come out with a bigger HD because Microsoft just partnered with AT&T for whatever they plan on doing. They are supposed to be offering some deal with AT&T also, too bad I already have DirecTV and AT&T.

If I wanted to pay MS all that $$ to d/l movies and tv shows to my 360, that 12 gb HD isn't going to cut it. That's why they have to release the zephyr with the bigger HD.

It is true, those previously posted links had pictures with the HDMI port. If it was fake I dont think anyone would go out of the way to mess up their 360 like that and make a too good to sound true fake article.

La-La land is the place where people believe the PS3 was a big success, is worth the ridiculous price tag, has good games and offers the best experience. This is SCEA's CEO and president, btw, not just some "rep."

Best quote: "If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it." :rolleyes:

Thus spawning the following comic:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/02/10

:lol::lol::lol:

I just cant handle this anymore.

It gets even better. It turns out the punk at game crazy who sold me my system lied to me. He said I could bring in my system at any time and trade it in if it had problems, because I paid for the two year plan. Now today, I am told at two separate stores, that they won't honor their replacement warranty until Microsoft's warranty runs out in a YEAR.

So I call up Microsoft, and they tell me "Oh yeah, we'll fix your Xbox for free. But YOU have to pay to have it shipped all the way to TEXAS for repairs." I told the guy on the phone nothing personal towards him, he was a cool guy, but Microsoft has just lost a customer for life, when it comes to console gaming. Nothing but Sony and Nintendo for me from here on out. I am incensed. It cost me 20 dollars to ship that f--ker to Texas.

When I get that thing back in the mail, I'm sending it straight to ebay along with all my accessories and games. Hopefully it'll help take a chunk out of my new PS3 budget... if anybody actually WANTS to buy an Xbox 360 anymore. Piece of crap. *&%$#@!@#$$

you sound just as pissed off as i am!! :D my 360 got the ring of death 3 months after i bought it! i have been waiting for microsoft to send me this prepaid box to ship my system to them for repairs. i was told on the phone a 3-5 business day wait.....that was on december 31....its now march 10 and still no box! :angry:

It normally doesn't take that long. My prepaid box took about 4 days to arrive. Call them...

you sound just as pissed off as i am!! :D my 360 got the ring of death 3 months after i bought it! i have been waiting for microsoft to send me this prepaid box to ship my system to them for repairs. i was told on the phone a 3-5 business day wait.....that was on december 31....its now march 10 and still no box! :angry:

Believe me, I feel your pain, even more than Bill Clinton does. :angry: At least they offered to send you the coffin. They didn't offer me that. I even asked about it and the guy acted like he didn't know what I was talking about.

Add - in : And oh yeah, I'm way beyond pist.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Gotta say the Halo 3 Exclusive box is really pretty. The helmet too. Almost makes me want to buy a 360....but not quite. :p

just got a call from Gamestop. MS just released the price on the legendary edition with the helmet.

$129 US.

OUCH!

Gamestop preorder had it listed at $99.

Wonder if I can force Gamestop to honor that price.

yeah, i know, i'm a sucker too, i already paid $99 when I preordered it months ago. So it's only going to be about $30+tax once it comes out. And now Master Replicas/Corgi are going to be releasing props from Halo, it's going to be an expensive Christmas this year.

Can't wait for the beta to start yet.