1/55's revisited

kanata67

As I recall, "Space Gandam" was just another of the styles of packaging that Joons produced during that run.

I think different packaging was supplied by them to different distribution channels probably based upon what company was placing the order for the figures.

Edited by Luclin999

I love this green color scheme on a J type head. It is a bit pricey and for that much money I would probably rather get the origin of valkyrie VF-1A Super Max. Or a sushi dinner with a date and drinks. Or groceries for a couple of weeks... Eating is for the week...

Never mentioned it before but how is the Joons QC ?

The plastic Joons used is a bit lower in quality than the Bandai pieces but not so terrible that it won't hold together when being transformed. There are really no diecast parts on the Joons figures. The only metal on them is the sway bar, landing gear and various screws.

Also, the molds for these were clearly cast off of disassembled Takatoku/Bandai figures and as such there is a small loss of detail present in the figures as well as a slight variance in the sizes of the individual parts versus a genuine Valkyrie. For example, the Jetfire armor on my Joons VF-1J fits reasonably well but the backpack assembly is just a bit too tight on the Joons figure and as such doesn't allow the tail of the valk to sit completely flush against the back of the toy in Batroid mode (as it can on Jetfire).

One other thing to note is that the quality of the Joons' valks dropped off a bit towards the end of their run. My early released Red and Blue Valks are a bit better constructed overall than my "clown" VF-1J that they produced just before closing up shop.

Overall if I were to rate my Joons for quality on a 1 - 10 scale, with 10 being a minty fresh vintage Bandai and 1 being the all plastic junk KOs that can be found at times on blister cards in dollar stores I'd rate my Red and Blue VF-1Js at 7.5 and my red/white/blue "clown" VF-1J at a 6.9.

Edited by Luclin999

You know, up till now I've never had any compulsion to buy an actual 1/55 takatoku or bandai Valk. But after seeing this thread and the others pop up I'm finding that I still don't. Rather it's making me want to go and get some janky bootleg VF's. :p

Edited by anime52k8

As I recall, "Space Gandam" was just another of the styles of packaging that Joons produced during that run.

I think different packaging was supplied by them to different distribution channels probably based upon what company was placing the order for the figures.

Space Gandam V was a freaky, Korean animated show that stole the Valkyrie design (and toy) for use in their own show. Korean animators did the same thing with Diaclone toys and others. Earlier discussion here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=20661&st=40

Lol -I too find the bootlegs pretty fun in their own right!

My Joons:

macross036.jpg

can anyone provide a complete ,non-obliterated pic of this particular little golden nugget of Shakespearean poetry?

Edited by Shaorin

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got it. And despite Takatoku's weird packaging, I'm really satisfied.

http://mactama.com/m...gbp_1s_top_.htm

The downside?

It's my Christmas gift, so I can't post pics until after present opening happy-fun-time. :(

lol :p

Congratulations!

I just bought a Takatoku in GBP Armor and a blue Takatoku Max tonight too.

Hopefully I will have them in hand by this time next week.

Edited by Luclin999

More on the adventures of Tim and Tyke here:

http://www.macrosswo...showtopic=17176

Does anyone know what are the parts in the LDPE plastic baggie?

LINK

Yeah, those are the underwing missiles, Minmay figure, heatshield and strike cannon.

EDIT -- Damn, I missed what you meant by LDPE.... Yeah, don't know what those things are, sorry!

Edited by Renato

Does anyone know what are the parts in the LDPE plastic baggie?

Those don't look like they go with the toy. Those look like stick-on rubber feet for electronic appliances or media equipment that somehow migrated into the package. In my experience, toys of that era never had parts provided in zip-lock baggies. And my Strike Valk never had them.

Those don't look like they go with the toy. Those look like stick-on rubber feet for electronic appliances or media equipment that somehow migrated into the package. In my experience, toys of that era never had parts provided in zip-lock baggies. And my Strike Valk never had them.

I think that Ray is right. I know that my Strike doesn't have them either.

Well my latest acquisitions have arrived..

I finally have a Takatoku VF-1J Max..

takumax2.jpg

takumax.jpg

A little loose in the sway bar but otherwise in very nice condition for a nearly thirty year old toy. He'll make a great addition to the 1/55th Squadron.

As will this guy...

gbp.jpg

A Takatoku VF-1J with GBP. (bought for $120 shipped :D )

The figure is in fair condition at best with considerable yellowing on several surfaces but it is an original Takatoku and still works very well for a figure to display the armor on.

As for the GBP... You can see the original owner of the toy decided to do some custom weathering/blast marks to the armor pack so it is definitely not "minty fresh"

but the armor is complete and after testing on a small section in the back it looks like most of the "customizing" can be washed off. However, I will probably leave it

as it is for the time being just to see how I like the current look over time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...